Nice deadeyes, Nenad.    Life happens and gets in the way of the shipbuilding.  And that is probably the way it should be.  The "not good" part is the sadness that happens.  Take care of yourself also.

Thx Mark. Life is not fair. I think nothing harder can happen than to lose child ( particulary only child) , and just that happened to her when Admiral passed. Only three months ago. She did not deserve this

Hi Nenad

I'm sorry to hear that once again, you and your family are facing challenging times. Life is not fair at the best of times, and you have certainly been hit hard.

Please take care and be comforted in the knowledge that your MSW friends are thinking of you.

Patrick

Thanks Patrick. Admiral`s parents were very kind to me and to my family, and I feel for them same as to my parents. I was treated as a son. I must take care of Old Lady as much I can

All my hopes for a quick and easy recovery for your Mother-In-Law Nenad.  Family always comes first, and "Her Majesty" will be there waiting. 

Thanks George. There is no guaranty for recovering. She is pretty old, and here doctors avoid to surge old people, cause there are many risks in that age. We`ll see in next days what will be  

Sorry to hear about your mother in law.   I'm glad that your mother in law has you to help take care of her.  I've been very fortunate to have loved ones help me when I needed it and I'm glad when I can help my family when they need me.  It's just one of the wonderful aspects of having a family.

As you take care of everyone else, don't forget to take care of yourself.  You've had a hard year and need to stay healthy as well. Make sure you take time to lower your stress.

All the best to you and your family!

By the way the work on the ship looks great!

Marc

Thanks Marc. Right now, I am just thinking about: how to reduce number of cigarettes per day ( 25-30), and to return to my weekly swimming exercise ( to swim minimum  1 km once per week, maybe twice), to get in physical and psychical shape. That is at this moment only I can do for me

Hi Nenad

As what the people have said above, let us all hope your mother in law recovers soon.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

Nice work on your CS.

Denis.

Thanks Denis. I hope too

Adding my thoughts and best wishes for a full recovery for your mother in law.

Your CS looks wonderful and will wait patiently.

Cheers,

Nigel.

Thanks Nigel. We will do everything which is possible

Hello my friend, let me add my best wishes for your dear mother in law and hope that she'll recover soon.  You too must take care of yourself and reduce the stress level your in at this time.  

All the best from Piet, 

Thanks Piet. Stress is a way of my life, and I developed some techniques to avoid and amortize it. Enjoying in "by the way" opportunities as : Sit on river and drink Ness Coffiee after or before court trial, walk with friends or alone at the evening, my CS, gardening, and a great command I gave to myself long ago:  Do not let yourself to be unnerved by the job issues. When I was young, I was CEO in one company at the age of 27, and didnt realized that there was big "theater" performance going on (play in a play in a play) , and accepted this situation very emotional, until I finished in emergency with neurotic changes on my hearth ... Then I learned my life lesson, and in next 30 years I retrained myself for that and similar situations

Keep your head up and keep a smile on your face, my Friend.

Thx Cap. My head is still under water, and I swim well

Life has been very unkind to you recently Nenad. I admire you courage and desire to do the right thing for your family. And I sincerely hope life for you and your family will get better-soon.

Take care. We're all pulling for you.

Harvey

Thy Harvey. One fun thing. Last 30 years, always after short good period, sh..t of different kind comes and lasts couple of years. Just in time of progress, there were some life situations that let you down. But ... as somebody said - ( I think Dave) - what does not kill you, makes you stronger

Best wishes Nenad...keep your chin up my friend  :)   

Thanks. I keep and keep and keep

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Nice painting job Nenad.  Having really good eyes and a very tiny brush is always helpful.   :)

Thanks George. And good magnifier above all

You are a very special person Nenad. Life seems to be testing your strength these days and you are clearly standing strong. We all appreciate your friendship.
Dave

Thanks Dave for taking your time to be there. I wish you speed and full recovery my friend

I'm really sorry to hear that your mother in law is unwell. I hope she gets better soon.

Thanks Peter. I ( we) hope too. 

your doing some great progress on her Majesty  :) ........even under the saddest of circumstances.  take care my friend....I'm thinking of you   ;)

Thanks Denis. Working on CS let my brain to empty and to float in another world

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

I found a little time for some nice progress, and some nice scare of myself

Time to mount first line of dead eyes

Little jig for precise drilling holes

post-4738-0-11935100-1440786130_thumb.jpg

And finished line

post-4738-0-62960000-1440786163_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-72471300-1440786145_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-17703200-1440786115_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-65906400-1440786181_thumb.jpg

Considering all ropes that will come there, and fence on main rail, I think it will be good. Scale is OK, position is OK

But ... space for working on rigging .... how to hell to do this ? I must figure something until rigging comes

Edit: my phone died in a period of quaranty, and have got new, better one with good camera, as it can be seen in photos above

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

That's a phone?   Wow!!!!  Excellent pictures and excellent work on the deadyeyes.  

Rigging... go from the inside (where there's room) to the outside on the lanyards.  It will be a tight fit unless you can do the masts and shrouds and add the rest of the desk items later. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Those are some great pictures Nenad. Hold it up to a mirror and let it snap a picture of itself, so we can see the new camera.  :D

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Those are some great pictures Nenad. Hold it up to a mirror and let it snap a picture of itself, so we can see the new camera. :D

Believe or not, LG Leon Cell phone with only 5MP camera but with auto-focus

post-4738-0-57545100-1440844244_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Good show Nenad :)

Beautiful closeup shots are one of many reasons I love this forum.  Coupled with excellent narratives and informative books beginners like myself are able to overcome the most difficult challenges of ship building  :)

Boyd 

Current Build - HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina - Scale1:48

Rigging... go from the inside (where there's room) to the outside on the lanyards. It will be a tight fit unless you can do the masts and shrouds and add the rest of the desk items later.

Mark, did I understand you well ? Did you suggest to make deck house and pin rails, but to mount them AFTER dead eye rigging?

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Yes, my friend, you understood.

It's possible that it might work.  By the time you get all the deck furniture in place, the masts, etc. you are gong to be tight on working space.  Build and fit them but don't glue them down until the deadeyes are all rigged would be my thought.  You'll have to figure it out if it can be done, however, as I haven't built the CS.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark. That was something which was buzzing around my head as a possibility

Speaking about deck houses ... It seems as rule - to make them all together and to paint them all together, just to secure same color on all of them ( I like to mix :10_1_10: acrylic paint to get as much equal color as on real ship  :cheers: )

That means that very next stage is to spend days and days in front of the PC "playing" with Adobe Illustrator and analyzing all plans and pictures of all deck houses I have. Ok, maybe to make and mount bollards for aft deck when I surfeit with AI drawing

And not to forget those nice pair of eye-bolts hidden between dead eyes. Maybe there is another sweet detail hiding from me ? 

post-4738-0-36510500-1440875438_thumb.jpg

Kids had their garden party, and I was expelled to my workshop, when I finished slavery work with BBQ  :P . They know nothing about BBQ, except to bring huge mountine of meat

post-4738-0-89580300-1440875723_thumb.jpg

Being a refugee in my own house, what else to do, except to continue with Her Majesty ?   :piratetongueor4: 

Here is another dead eyes line mounted

post-4738-0-24745600-1440874050_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-07517000-1440874066_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Testing my AI drawings, drown exactly over my rescaled C-plans.

Hmmmm ... My mess thing again visiting me

Horizontal layout and proportions are ok (seems to be)

But vertical ... It seems that my bulwarks are a bit higher than them have to be, and them are now almost the same height as aft deck house.

Mounting deadeyes I noticed that them are in scale with my bulwark, even they are drastic enlarged comparing to their exact rescaled size (see table couple of posts earlier). I noticed that, but didn't realise what it means... Until tonight

Comparing with attached photo, house is almost double height toward bulwarks height. And consideribg that height of house is correct toward C-plans, that means that bulwarks are raised to the sky

(lost line issue, once again)

To remake bullwarks - no, thank you!

Not in this life

Must continue to play with AI, to try to enlarge a bit height of deck house. only for 1-3 mm, I think it will be enough.

Devil is not black as it seems. This will leave a bit more space for windows and surrounding moldings, but I have to be carefull to keep visual look and proportions of front and rear entrance, also not to overlap height of wheel box. Roof molding on deckhouse is a bit wider than a house, and it can visualy mask extra height

post-4738-0-30363400-1440958026_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-52349100-1440958060_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-29443100-1440958098_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-46885500-1440958127_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Eh, George, if I had this approach from begining, I probably had less problems now. Man learns until he is live. These are 3D structures, and card simulation means a lot, and help me to visualize whole thing

Right now it dropped to my mind that I have to take care also about heights of another two deck houses, and how higher aft deck house corespond with main deck house height. And how it coresponds with wrong longitudinal curvature of my main deck. This will be interesting !!!!! Probably " divide and spread mistake" method :D

And it is fun

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

No matter how old we get Nenad, we never stop learning and adapting, but the main thing is to have fun doing it. 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

If we stop learning... we're dead.  Here's to learning for a long time... and to having fun doing it.    :cheers:

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Wow Nenad!

Wonderful job with the deadeyes, and honestly one of your photos taken of the ship looks like standing on the deck of a real ship :)

On the other hand sorry to hear about the sickness of your mother-in-law. We in Hungary say that trouble has three times... I guess you are there, from now on only good things would happen to you!!

Gyula

Thanks for nice words and support to my experiments

Card playing, continuation ...

Height of aft deck house is ris!ed from 8 mm to 10 mm

Height of main deck houses are as on C-plans

post-4738-0-38982900-1441042285_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-98173500-1441042301_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-48782100-1441042320_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-49776900-1441042336_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-71536500-1441042352_thumb.jpg

Comparing with proportion and scale on photos

post-4738-0-41998600-1441042270_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-41077300-1441042355_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-24058400-1441042357_thumb.jpeg

post-4738-0-21752200-1441042359_thumb.jpg

Aft deck can pass

Main deck - maybe to rise height of main deck houses for 1 mm, not more. This houses are a bit higher than main rail

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

I think that the poop house looks good!  I wouldn't sweat any of the heights.  no one is going to look at them from the side of the bulwarks anyway.  Most likely the viewer will be above looking down, like your photos.  Also the deck houses are short.  If you see someone standing beside them you can see how short they really are.  

I Like the card stock mock ups.  I use the same process and also small sculptures of sailors: one figure 5 foot tall and one 6 foot tall in scale. lets me make sure of the heights.  Real ships are kind of odd in the scales of items like doors and ladders. I've measure doors ranging from 3.5 foot to 6.6 feet on the same ship and ladders only half as wide as my body.  if you didn't know the actual sizes, you could go crazy thinking that the heights of the doors were all the same.   The Cutty is like this, the door sizes are drastically different between the deck houses and the heads.  If you didn't know that you would think that something is wrong with the dimensions - either the deck houses were off or the heads, or the poop - could drive you crazy!

Marc

Edited by keelhauled

Crazy week. Court season starts, Hothead packed and moved back to Novi Sad to his autumn exams, Princess gets extension of the employment contract ( really great thing in Serbia, and a really great news), a lot of job in office until 20h almost every day ... I have got some new cases after a long time ... old lady feeling pretty good for now ... seems everything go well ...

Nothing to do with hands until I finish my working drawings. After a "card" exhibition and testing, I realized that I have to redrawn all my work, so I started today, with calculations of proportions, re-scaling dimensions etc etc

Here is present stage of my work

post-4738-0-65055800-1441391588_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-32540700-1441391585_thumb.jpg

See you soon !!!!

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Elaboration of technical details and structure of aft deck house - side view - batten relief 

post-4738-0-21010800-1441484839_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-20666300-1441484841_thumb.jpg

Maybe I go to far, front entrance is only 18 mm high, so details are ... 

It does not matter, it's nice to play

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

That is good news that things are going well.  The drawings look very good.  I think you're on the right track...

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I like your drawings Nenad,

it`s always a great help to have build steps on paper in front of you, in order to determine the next sequence steps...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thank you Mark, Tom and Nils

This help me to stay focused on little details, to understand and realise what I have to do, if I want to get realistic view of details. Also to think about way how to make it, during drawing

Cooking day today (meat pie), no drawing. If anybody is interested, picture and receipt on Shore leave section

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Drawings for aft deck house with all ( wooden) details - finished at last

Two more deck houses to go

I WANT SOME DUST !!!!!!

I WANT SOME DUST !!!!!!

I WANT SOME DUST !!!!!!

I'm a little bored with drawings

post-4738-0-46347100-1441827904_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-19766800-1441827912_thumb.jpg

Drawings are exported from AI as *.jpg to present my work

Interesting details:

Is any window on back side ? On C-plans, there are two of them, but back entrance added later "eat" one. So I draw there one that last

On front side, there are two elements called "Stop", which seem to me as holder for flower pot ;). Anybody know their purpose ?

post-4738-0-08504700-1441828669_thumb.jpg

Inside and outside ornaments on back doors are different. Outside are rounded at top corners. Considering did not made interior to cabin, doors will be closed ( still I think that opened doors, even one wing could be nice detail on model). See green arrow on photo above

And the hinges for back dors are ... just ... strange ( see yellow circle), and like as some kind of improvisation. Ok, I know that hinges have to make distance for door wings, but I doubt that hinges stick so much outward, it can be dangerous at storm. I know that back entrance was added later, but I suppose it was copied from former fore entrance. Obviously - not

post-4738-0-83350500-1441829540_thumb.jpg

Skylight - On some models and on real CS, skylight is covered by some kind of awning, with transparent parts at the places for windows. In my opinion, blinds are very very nice detail, and it have to be seen, even it will be problematic to make in scale 

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build: