Harbor Freight Workbench

Wow, very nice set up you have there!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Wow, indeed!!!!

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

A couple of questions for anyone that has one of these HF workbenchs.  Is the working surface actually 60" long or does that include the width of the vise at the end?  Also how thick is the top and is it the same thickness everywhere or thicker on the outside edges and thinner in the center?

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

A couple of questions for anyone that has one of these HF workbenchs.  Is the working surface actually 60" long or does that include the width of the vise at the end?  Also how thick is the top and is it the same thickness everywhere or thicker on the outside edges and thinner in the center?

60 inches long without the vice, and thickness is actually 1.5 inches, with the lip around the edge being three. -Chad

Completed Models:

Triton Cross Section

In Progress:

Brig Eagle

I see a lot of people have these benches against the wall with power tools on them, but I found that I needed more depth than what these benches give (I think it's 20") to safely use my Byrnes table saw and thickness sander (depth is ok for things like the disc sander, mill and lathe).

What I ended up doing was putting two of these benches back to back, with one side against the wall - essentially, building out a workspace island where I could access the drawers on both tables, and access the machines on each of the tables.  On the side against the wall, I attached a power strip to one of the benches, as well as a couple of swing arm lamps.  That gave me more useable space than putting the two tables alongside one wall, or building an "L" configuration with the two benches in a corner.

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Couldn't say, but I do have a pair or two of 100lb full extension drawer slides left over from a workbench project. Stop by next time you're in the area and see if I haven't remembered to bring them in with me.

Thanks Steve- I swung by your desk after you dropped them off but you were probably gone for the day at that point. I'll have to give them a go one weekend- heavy buggers!

Completed Models:

Triton Cross Section

In Progress:

Brig Eagle

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wish I could get one shipped to Hawaii for a reasonable price.  I checked with HF and they wanted more than the cost of the bench for the cheapest method.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.