18th Century Longboat by dcicero - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:48 - Tri-Club

Thanks, Kurt!

Here's a question for everyone.  I've gotten to the point where I want to order the case for the model.  I know I want to have 2" of space all the way around.  (I've seen a lot of cases and that seems to be the amount of space that looks best.)

So to do that, I made a drawing and put the dimensions on it.

But here's my question.  How high should the pedestals be?  I started out thinking they should be about a third of the total.  So if the model is 8 - 3/4" high, then the pedestals should be about 4 - 3/8" for a total height of 13 - 1/8".  That seemed pretty high, so I recalculated at a quarter of the total.  That gave me pedestals 2.92" tall.  (Model = 8.75"; Total height = 11.67")  That sounds better and makes the case only about 14" tall (plus the thickness of the base).

post-1141-0-48292400-1416336850_thumb.png

Any other way I should be thinking of this?  Any rules of thumb you all go with?  I realize that this is a matter of choice to some extent.  I like the looks of the taller pedestals most have used, but I don't want to make them so long that the model looks like it's escaping from the base.

Dan

Dan, Mine are 1.5". 

Maury

I spent a little more time with the Longboat last night.

I decided on the height of the pedestals:  2.5".  I made this determination in a highly scientific manner.  I raised the model above the base -- with a ruler next to it -- until I liked how it looked.

So here's how it all worked out:

post-1141-0-72507500-1416590395_thumb.png

I deviated from the instructions a little bit by making the chainplates before I stepped the mast.  I followed the instructions pretty closely, except that I soldered everything rather than use CA glue.

Here's the super-complex jig, a brass nail with the head cut off.  You can see the scorch marks from the soldering iron and the measuring line to show where to bend the wire.

post-1141-0-83865700-1416590463_thumb.jpg

And here's a chainplate being made.  The in-process one is below the finished one to show how it all works out.

post-1141-0-92409900-1416590512_thumb.jpg

These are little things...

post-1141-0-80321300-1416590551_thumb.jpg

Here are all four.  They still need to be painted.

post-1141-0-26220000-1416590564_thumb.jpg

And then I stepped the mast.  It took a couple of attempts to get the mast step to look right.   I think this is pretty close.  Tonight I'm going to do a little more beveling on it.  It looks a little too blocky to me as it is.

I drilled a small hole in the bottom of the mast and a hole through the mast step.  I ran a wire through the mast step and into the bottom of the mast, giving me a little spike on the bottom of the whole assembly that helped me line everything up.  The mark made by the wire showed me where to drill the hole and step the mast.

post-1141-0-42407800-1416590628_thumb.jpg

And here's how the boat looks now.

post-1141-0-40651100-1416590649_thumb.jpg

The gaff and boom are completed.  I need to make the other two chainplates and then start rigging.  Also have to get a base for the case made.

Coming right along!

Dan

Very nice Dan. I'm sure your plan for display (pedestals etc) will look fabulous.

I see you used the same scientific method I did in determining the pedestal height!

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

• 4 months later...

It's been a long time since I posted any progress on the longboat ... but that doesn't mean there hasn't been progress!  It's almost done.  I've found taking pictures at this stage to be difficult.  Sometimes it's tough to get the camera on my phone to focus where I want it. I wind up with great resolution on stuff I don't care about.

Since I last posted, I've rigged the boat.

post-1141-0-24519700-1428447355_thumb.jpg

There's a deceptive amount of rigging on this model.  I expected it to go faster than it did.  It's not all that difficult; there's just a lot of fiddly little things to do.

In no real order, here are some photos of my progress.

post-1141-0-60403000-1428447445_thumb.jpg

post-1141-0-51681600-1428447461_thumb.jpg

post-1141-0-58549500-1428447497_thumb.jpg

post-1141-0-95561900-1428447512_thumb.jpg

post-1141-0-00500500-1428447527_thumb.jpg

I spent some time making the chainplates.  In the end, I had to do it a couple of times to get good-looking ones.  I thought they turned out pretty well.

post-1141-0-12085300-1428447573_thumb.jpg

I had some trouble withe the rope coils.  I went into that little job thinking I'd knock it out in an evening.  Not really much to those things.  I have a little jig I use for wrapping them.  Then I hit them with hairspray to keep them together while I'm working with them.  Plunk them on the model and you're done, right?

Here's a typical one:

post-1141-0-37251900-1428447691_thumb.jpg

But when I added them to the model, they just looked ... wrong!

post-1141-0-35604000-1428447723_thumb.jpg

So I re-did them in a lot less complex way.  I'd left a lot of extra on the actual rigging line, so I just wrapped them into a coal, coated them with some white glue and weighted them down a little with a dental pick.  That gave the illusion of weight and the coils looked a lot more natural.

I had trouble taking pictures of those things, but you can see the same effect in the coils on the flag halyard.

post-1141-0-88565100-1428447880_thumb.jpg

Speaking of the flag halyard, I got it all rigged, as shown in the picture, and realized that, as I tied them down, I'd wrapped them around the shrouds, on both sides.  It was actually hard to see.  (You can kind of see it in the photo.)  But once I noticed it, I couldn't leave it that way.  I un-rigged it and did them again.  They look a lot better now.

So what's next?  The oars are done:

post-1141-0-54428700-1428447998_thumb.jpg

As is the grapple.

post-1141-0-45571100-1428448014_thumb.jpg

I got the case back from the guy who made the base for me.

post-1141-0-94464200-1428448043_thumb.jpg

That was a little story.  I don't have a table saw.  I found a guy with a millwork shop right across the street from where my kids take karate lessons.  I thought, "Look at that!  I can help a local business, get my base made and do it without making a separate trip because I'm at the karate dojo at least twice a week anyway."

He was a nice-enough guy, but he told me it'd be done in two weeks and took more like five.  And it wasn't cheap.  If he'd gotten it done on time, I wouldn't have had too much trouble with the price, but making me wait?  I felt a little ripped off.  Add to that the fact that, at about week four I started calling him about it and he wouldn't return my calls...  Anyway, it's done and it looks really nice.

So I have to install the oars and the grapple.  Haven't decided if I'm going to put the arm on the windlass.  Then I'll mount the model on the base and do a little touch-up of some spots where the paint's been marred by handling it, put a little brass plaque on the base and finish it off.

Dan

Dan your Longboat is looking great.  I wish I could see it up close you are doing a bang up job.

David B

Nicely done.

Maury

Dan:

Really nice.   Glad you finally got the base.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

• 2 weeks later...

Kurt hooked me up.  My drill press wasn't big enough to drill mounting holes in the middle of the plinth I had made, so I made a trip over to Westmont and he helped use his much larger drill press to get vertical mounting holes drilled.  I tried other things -- guide blocks and alignment jigs -- but I wasn't convinced they were going to work and I only had one chance.  Thanks again, Kurt!

So, the model is essentially done.  Bob Filipowski suggested I build some oar racks to display the oars and I think I'll do that, but now that the model's mounted, I wanted to spend time touching up the paint and finishing up some small details that are just easier to do when the model's mounted on the base.

Here's what the boat looks like now.  I wanted to get it in the contest in Manitowoc this year, but my son's First Communion is happening the same day.  Not a hard choice!

post-1141-0-26448900-1429905112_thumb.jpg

post-1141-0-09326100-1429905123_thumb.jpg

post-1141-0-11200600-1429905135_thumb.jpg

post-1141-0-09304200-1429905157_thumb.jpg

post-1141-0-52996800-1429905175_thumb.jpg

post-1141-0-23934500-1429905186_thumb.jpg

post-1141-0-12040200-1429905199_thumb.jpg

post-1141-0-12464200-1429905261_thumb.jpg

I was telling Kurt when I was over there, I started this project because I wanted to participate in the group build.  As I've worked on it though, this little boat has grown on me.  I think it's turned out really well and I owe a lot to the people on MSW and in the Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago.  There were plenty of opportunities to put this model on the shelf and move along, but you all kept me at it and, for that, I'm really thankful.

Dan

Congratulations on a fine build Dan. She looks lovely on her mounting base.

Dan:

It looks good mounted and everything is straight!  Congratulations on a job well done.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Nicely done Dan. Your priorities are also right on.  I will miss seeing you there this year.  Congratulations on the lad's first communion.

Looks great, Dan.

Toni

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

• 1 year later...

And now it is the Gold Award winning longboat.  Congratulations, Dan.

Toni

A very good job Dan,

boat and rigging look excellent...  :)

Nils 

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thanks, everyone!

I entered the longboat in this year's Midwestern Model Ships & Boats Contest and Display at the Wisconsin Maritime Museum in Manitowoc, WI.  This was the 40th annual contest and was absolutely fantastic.  In addition to the regular model contest, we had a Masters Competition for Gold Award-winning models from prior years.  Talk about some amazing work!

It's so much fun to get together with other modelers, see their work and learn how they achieve the results they do.  I thoroughly enjoyed this year's event and would recommend it to anyone who can make his or her way to Manitowoc, even if you don't enter a model in the competition.  

And, yes, my longboat won a Gold Award!  

Dan

post-1141-0-82640200-1464117622.jpg

Congratulations Dan on winning a Gold Award.  You did an excellent job on your Longboat and it is always nice to see your work recognized by other ship modelers.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Congratulations Dan.   That is quite an achievement.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Small boat, big Award!

My warmest and sincerest Congrats to the Award.

Splendid!

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry