HMS Terror by E&T - Scale 1:48, POB, as fitted for polar service in 1845 - Finished

Really interesting start of your project.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Can I have copies of your plans?

Hello Folks,

Over the past six months I've had great feedback on my topic here on MSW and on my blog. The chance to interact with modelers of such ability is a real privilege.

I've also received a lot of requests for high resolution copies of my plans. I’m extremely happy that people want to build the Terror, which I consider to be one of the world’s greatest exploration vessels. She deserves the attention.

I do plan to release copies of the plans at some point (and yes, I do intend to make full masting and rigging plans for her). However, I'm still at the beginning of my project, and my plans are not proven by construction. I know they will require some modification as I build. I don't want to send them out with errors, as that would just make more work for people.

When I'm finished my build and the plans are complete, I'll make them available as a set. And I'll post it here on these boards so you are the first to know.

Does that sound reasonable? I hope everyone understands!

E&T

Edited by E&T

Hi

Although I have only skip read your log it is amazing and this build is one I'll follow. Your research is incredible and I'll re-read all in time.

I guess you have read "Barrow's Boys" by Fergus Fleming? It is no doubt fluff compared to your references but a great read telling the story of the post Napoleonic period at the Admiralty when Barrow commissioned a programme of massive exploration - the NW passage, the North Pole, the source of the Niger River and Antarctica. So it picks up on the voyage of Erebus and Terror in its text. Some of the plates in your log are included. Both the madness and sheer courage of these explorations is well painted in Flemings text. Anyway if you haven't read it, which I doubt, do so. Would also recommend to other followers here too. (Please excuse me if I didn't find a reference to it in your log).

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Hi

Although I have only skip read your log it is amazing and this build is one I'll follow. Your research is incredible and I'll re-read all in time.

I guess you have read "Barrow's Boys" by Fergus Fleming? It is no doubt fluff compared to your references but a great read telling the story of the post Napoleonic period at the Admiralty when Barrow commissioned a programme of massive exploration - the NW passage, the North Pole, the source of the Niger River and Antarctica. So it picks up on the voyage of Erebus and Terror in its text. Some of the plates in your log are included. Both the madness and sheer courage of these explorations is well painted in Flemings text. Anyway if you haven't read it, which I doubt, do so. Would also recommend to other followers here too. (Please excuse me if I didn't find a reference to it in your log).

Cheers

Alistair

Hi Alistair, 

Thanks for the nice comment. I have read Barrow's Boys. It's a very good book and he does an excellent job of describing the context of the program of exploration. I haven't referenced it yet because my focus is really on the ship and her systems and not directly on the expeditions it was involved in. But it is a great read and certainly anyone interested should look at it. In fact, I recommend they read it prior to any of the first-hand accounts by the expedition commanders themselves!

Regards, 

E&T

BOXING SCARPH

This section represents the final piece of the keel for my model and was the most difficult to make. I temporarily glued a paper template to the swiss pear blank, then I cut it out with a mini table saw and scroll saw. I sanded the piece to the precise dimensions using a spindle sander and modeler’s files. The box scarph was carved by hand using a small chisel, and then scraped flat with a razor blade. Like the rest of the keel, I lined the boxing with vellum to simulate tarred flannel. 

post-639-0-38014800-1389060086_thumb.jpg

Cutting the aft part of the keel section. 

post-639-0-01379900-1389060087_thumb.jpg

Chiseling out the box scarph.

post-639-0-81398400-1389060087_thumb.jpg

Finished scarph compared to plans. 

post-639-0-31188700-1389060088_thumb.jpg

Plain scarph at aft of keel section. 

post-639-0-97219500-1389060088_thumb.jpg

Gluing the vellum in place. 

post-639-0-01187900-1389060090_thumb.jpg

Vellum trimmed to fit. 

post-639-0-97175300-1389060090_thumb.jpg

Finished box scarph. 

post-639-0-42341600-1389060091_thumb.jpg

Section glued to the rest of keel. 

• 4 weeks later...

TERROR’S STURDY STEM

post-639-0-86540700-1391561734_thumb.jpg

Completed bow timbers compared to sheet plans (note that the fore edge hasn't yet been trimmed).

Nowhere is the strength of HMS Terror’s frame more evident than in her bow architecture. Already stoutly built as a bomb vessel, Terror’s 1836/1837 plans indicate that the bow was significantly altered for conversion to polar service. The 1836 deck plans show that her stem was sided 12 and ½ inches, the same as her keel, but it was much thicker/deeper than normal. In fact, its moulded depth was greater than a vessel three times her tonnage (see scantlings below). This robustness was also transferred to her apron, which was consistent in size with that used on a 36 gun frigate.

Terror’s external bow timbers were also modified in 1836; all ornamentation pieces were removed, as were the cheeks, forefoot, bobstay piece, gammoning, and lacing. In their place, a very robust and simplified architecture was installed which consisted of a gripe, stem piece, main piece, and a short chock to support the bowsprit. Again, these pieces were very robustly built, and were sided the same as the keel, diminishing to only 10 inches at the fore edge.

Aft of these bow timbers, the stemson was similarly solid, sided the same as the stem and just as thick. However, in 1836, the stemson itself was reinforced by massive oak chocks the same width as the stem, but this time up to 16 inches thick. At the position of the third waterline, this effectively created a single massive block of wood, 12 and ½ inches wide and extending from the stem piece more than eight feet aft.  Indeed, it was strengthening like this that permitted Crozier to use the Terror as an icebreaker during the Antarctic voyage of 1839 (Ross 1847:147). 

Scantlings for Terror’s Stem and Apron:

Stem

Sided:

At Head (same as the keel) = 12 and ½ inches

At the Heel = 12 and ½ inches (larger than vessels of her size)

Number of pieces = 2

Moulded Depth = 16 inches (larger than 36 gun frigate)

Scarphs in length = 3 feet 9 inches (boxing) and 3 feet (upper)

Lips of the scarphs = 3 inches (consistent with standards for a 12 and ½ inch sided keel)

Bolts = 8 (consistent with 76 gun vessel, standard for bomb vessels)

Bolt diameters = 1 and 1/8 inches (consistent with 36 and 74 gun vessels, standard for bomb vessels)

Apron (false stem)

Sided (same as the stem) = 12 and ½ inches

Moulded depth = 9 inches (consistent with 36 gun frigate)

Moulded depth diminishing to the head = 7 inches

Scantlings for Terror’s Knee of the Head:

Sided (all pieces):

Aft part of knee (same as the stem) = 12 and ½ inches

Diminishing to the fore = 10 inches

Lower scarph in length = 2 feet and 1 inch

Upper scarph in length = 4 feet 2 inches

References:

Ross, Sir James Clark

1847    A Voyage of Discovery and Research in the Southern and Antarctic Regions, During the Years 1839-1843: Volume I. John Murray, London.

post-639-0-85785800-1391561731_thumb.jpg

Sanding the lower stem piece to size.

post-639-0-42508300-1391561732_thumb.jpg

Shaping the upper stem piece.

post-639-0-86648100-1391561732_thumb.jpg

Finished stem and gripe (vellum simulates tarred flannel used on a real ship).

post-639-0-29635100-1391561733_thumb.jpg

Finished main piece and chock to support bowsprit.

post-639-0-32414600-1391561735_thumb.jpg

Detail of scarph joints.

post-639-0-41749100-1391561734_thumb.jpg

Main piece joined to stem piece.

post-639-0-83760600-1391561733_thumb.jpg

Port side view (note that the fore edge has not yet been shaped).

Edited by E&T

Very well done, E&T.  Your scarfs look fantastic.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

E&T I am enjoying seeing you care and attention to the joinery they do look fine indeed.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

• 2 weeks later...

OLIVER LANG’S STERN

In February 1845, Oliver Lang, Master Shipwright at Woolwich, faced a daunting challenge. The Admiralty, under pressure from Parry, had decided to outfit HMS Erebus and Terror for auxiliary screw propulsion, powered by small passenger locomotives.

Screw propulsion was in its infancy and contemporary designs, based on patents filed by Francis Pettit Smith and others, called for the placement of the propeller opening in the deadwood of a steam powered vessel (Bourne 1855:28). However, applying such a modification to polar vessels would critically weaken the stern, and Lang knew from the Terror’s first arctic expedition that even the most robust sternpost was severely vulnerable when overwintering in sea ice. How could he protect the ship’s stern from the pack when a gaping hole had to be cut in the deadwood for the propeller?

His solution appears in a plan dated March 17th, 1845, which was subsequently transcribed onto the 1836/37 profile plan for HMS Terror. Instead of altering the ship’s existing stern, Lang simply extended the stern of the ship aft by adding a new keel section, onto which a new rudderpost and aperture for the propeller were attached. The 1836/37 plans seem to show that Terror’s original sternpost had been modified for Back’s voyage,  but the 1845 annotations clearly indicate that Lang reconstructed it to the same configuration used in Terror’s original design (alternately, it is possible that Terror’s stern was not modified in 1836 as planned).

Lang’s 1845 design called for a triangular piece of wood to be bolted to the original sternpost, creating a vertical face for the propeller aperture. The new rudderpost and the angled fitting were both tenoned into the keel extension, as indicated by the presence of horizontal bolts on a contemporary model of the design. The entire structure was then bolted to a massive u-shaped “staple knee”, made from 3.5 inch thick iron, which was the same length as the propeller opening.

Lang next turned to the problem of protecting the new rudderpost and propeller aperture from ice damage. He settled on a well system which could be used to ship and unship the propeller, similar to a design patented by Joseph Taylor in 1838 (Bourne 1855:32). However, Lang’s system included a new innovation; when the propeller was unshipped, the well would be filled with a series of stacking wooden and steel chocks. The chocks were shaped to match the dimensions of the new rudder post and deadwood and would completely fill the well, thus reinforcing the rudderpost against forces exerted by the ice.

Taylor’s patent described that the propeller could be shipped via “vertical grooves cut in the true and false stern posts … in which frame the propeller is placed” (Bourne 1855:32). However, the use of reinforcing chocks required that this system be modified. Lang replaced the grooves in the stern and false stern with robust iron rails which themselves had a vertical slot running much of their length. The protruding rails were necessary to secure the chocks in the propeller well and needed to be very strong to endure the pressures of pack ice (I’ll present more on the configuration of this rail system and the propeller in a subsequent post).

While we may never know how Lang’s chock system faired after two years in the grinding pack off King William Island, we can surmise that it must have worked relatively well because the Terror survived its first winter at Beechey Island in sailing condition. Further, we know that the same chock system was installed on the Intrepid and Pioneer (Anonymous 1850:8), steam tenders used in the Franklin search effort, and that both ships survived multiple winters in sea ice before being abandoned in relatively seaworthy condition.

Scantlings for Terror’s Sternpost and Rudderpost

Sternpost

Sided              

At Head = 13 and ½ inches

At Heel = 10 and ¾ inches

Moulded depth = 17 and ½ inches

Rudderpost

Sided

At Head = 13 and ½ inches

At Heel = 10 and ¾ inches

Moulded depth = 13 and ½ inches

References:

Anonymous

1850       Naval Intelligence — The Arctic Expedition. The Times.  Monday , 6th May, pg 8.

Bourne, John

1855       A Treatise on the Screw Propeller with Various Suggestions for Improvement. Longman, Brown, Green, and Longmans, London. 

post-639-0-66498800-1392849830_thumb.jpg

Cut stern pieces prior to assembly.

post-639-0-65859000-1392849584_thumb.jpg

Assembled stern architecture (significant iron work has yet to be installed, and  

the temporary basswood piece is to provide rigidity until the propeller well is completed).

post-639-0-56067000-1392849585_thumb.jpg

Detail of keel piece and opening for the staple knee. 

post-639-0-13716600-1392849586_thumb.jpg

Aft view of the unique rudderpost joint with the keel. 

post-639-0-50751300-1392849586_thumb.jpg

Another view of Lang's design.

post-639-0-53066900-1392849581_thumb.jpg

Sanding two of the sternpost bolsters to match the aft station

(the bolsters provide width needed for the propeller well).

post-639-0-14907000-1392849582_thumb.jpg

Detail after sanding. 

post-639-0-08180900-1392849583_thumb.jpg

Comparing the bolster to the body plan.

post-639-0-11106900-1392849584_thumb.jpg

Completed rudderpost and sternpost bolsters.

post-639-0-13881300-1392849587_thumb.jpg

Two of the bolsters in place, showing how they add width to the stern to accommodate

the propeller well (these aren't glued and cannot be until the bulkhead is attached). 

post-639-0-67190500-1392849587_thumb.jpg

Current progress on the stern, keel, and stem. 

Edited by E&T

Hi E&T.

Major progress since I last looked in.

As always your jointing is perfect and precise.

It always amasses me the endless research that you do and attention to the smallest details.

Looking forward to the next update already :)

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Your scarf joint looks great.  And the use of a spindle grinder mkes the job much easier.  Keep up the good work.

David B

It's always nice to see something different on this site, and this stern post arrangement is different. Beautiful joinery - can't wait to see the metalwork!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Very nice and thorrow Research on history, plans and fate of that ship E&T,

also your introduction to this interesting and very promissing build I like,

shall Keep tuned...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

MODELING THE "IRON STAPLE KNEE”

In my last post, I described Oliver Lang’s unique modifications to HMS Terror’s stern to accommodate the screw propeller. A primary component of this modification was a massive 3.5 inch thick “iron staple knee”, which securely bound the keel, original sternpost, and rudderpost together.

To model this part, I originally attempted to bend and hammer a 1.85 mm thick piece of brass into the correct shape, but try as I might, I could not create the appropriate angles accurately and only produced a mangled mess. Finally, I resigned myself to the fact that I would need to cut three separate pieces and then silver solder them together. I had never attempted this before, but I found a great deal of information on Model Ship World, and decided to give it a try.  

post-639-0-03048000-1393555654_thumb.jpg

Brass stock cut to match the dimensions of the three sides of the knee.

post-639-0-03951300-1393555655_thumb.jpg

Preparing to drill the holes for the bolts.

post-639-0-91334900-1393555656_thumb.jpg

The drilled pieces.

post-639-0-06811200-1393555656_thumb.jpg

A rough jig necessary to hold the pieces in place while soldering.

post-639-0-57364300-1393555667_thumb.jpg

My new pen torch and other soldering equipment.

post-639-0-32466000-1393555657_thumb.jpg

Clamping the pieces to the jig. It was a tricky task not to burn the jig, but

thankfully the joints were small and the brass heated rapidly.

post-639-0-92012200-1393555657_thumb.jpg

The knee after soldering. The joints are much stronger than I hoped they would be.

post-639-0-43603200-1393555658_thumb.jpg

The final part filed to shape and compared to the plans.

post-639-0-92336900-1393555658_thumb.jpg

An alternate view of the finished part.

post-639-0-40037500-1393555659_thumb.jpg

The knee dry-fitted to the stern piece.

post-639-0-62131700-1393555666_thumb.jpg

post-639-0-84280100-1393555659_thumb.jpg

post-639-0-15311800-1393555667_thumb.jpg

Edited by E&T

If that was your first silver soldering job, well done! You won't want to go back to soft solder now you've found out how strong the joint is, if properly made.

Edited by druxey

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

A very well done on the staple.  If you hadn't told us this was your first silver solder job, I wouldn't have guessed it. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Yes a great job on the soldering, nicely cleaned up too.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

• 1 month later...

IRON WORK

Oliver Lang’s 1845 modifications to Terror’s stern involved a significant amount of iron reinforcement. In my last post, I documented the design of the iron staple knee, which was central to the construction of the propeller well and new rudderpost. However, Lang also added four large iron straps to reinforce the joints between the keel, the rudderpost and the sternpost. These straps were u-shaped and passed between the false keel and the keel, permitting the former to break free in the case of the stern running aground. According to Lang’s notes, the straps appear to have been bolted entirely through the width of the stern to provide extra rigidity. This created an exceptionally strong iron-laced structure, a design which exposed Lang's worry about the ice pressure to be exerted on the Terror’s stern.  

The 1845 stern modification plan reveals that the straps were 4 and 1/2 inches wide, with bolts approximately 1 and 1/8th inches in diameter. I estimate, based on bracing and strapping shown on cross section plans of HMS Erebus/Terror and HMS Investigator, that they were ca. 1 to 1.5 inches thick.

All of the parts shown below are made from larger brass strips, which were cut, filed, and drilled by hand. The bolts are made from brass straight pins; the heads were filed by hand to scale (2 inches) and soldered into place.  The brass was then blackened to simulate iron. 

post-639-0-41776500-1396483810_thumb.jpg

The foremost strap prior to adding the bolts. 

post-639-0-51240500-1396483811_thumb.jpg

The staple knee and remaining straps with bolts soldered in place. The three aft straps would normally look similar to the one on the right, but I've decided only to model the visible portions of the straps (i.e. the portions not buried between the keel and false keel). Each is composed of two parts to be glued on opposite sides of the model. 

post-639-0-61824400-1396483812_thumb.jpg

Detail of the newly added bolts.

post-639-0-22016300-1396483813_thumb.jpg

post-639-0-80268400-1396483813_thumb.jpg

Brass parts soaking in the Blacken-it diluted to 6:1. 

post-639-0-48657000-1396483814_thumb.jpg

The finished parts.

post-639-0-23774500-1396483815_thumb.jpg

The iron reinforcements in place (dry fit only until the propeller rails are completed).

post-639-0-02320200-1396483816_thumb.jpg

Again, just a test to see how they will look when finally installed. 

post-639-0-70373900-1396483816_thumb.jpg

post-639-0-37700800-1396483817_thumb.jpg

post-639-0-38647500-1396483822_thumb.jpg

Lovely work. I do notice, however, that in the photos the blackened surfaces look a bit blotchy. Try buffing with a soft cloth or Q-tip and you should get a nice, even low-sheen finish. Do protect the wood, though, now that the metal is in place.