Cutty Sark by Sailcat - FINISHED - Revell - 1/96 - PLASTIC - Rescue kit bash morphed to Dame Tisane

Cutty Sark had a mechanism for releasing the anchor similar to the diagram for stock and fluke as above but it simply suspended from the cathead if i recall correctly. I might be wrong though. I don't have my Campbell drawings here with me. Perhaps someone with theirs in front of them can check as I'mabout 99% certain it's shown on them.

Thanks for all the kind words and thanks to Jim, Popeye and Sailor123 for your answers to my questions :D

Advancing forward now, dealing with the occasional bout of disbelief and trying not to get impatient had resulted in some more work, go figure, lol.  Here we go with a batch of progress photos.

After all this time I have finally tied off the lines for the boat davits, which had been hanging loose.  Here I applied the 'zero tension' strategy by dabbing diluted PVA into the blocks to lock the lines in such a way as to simulate tension.

post-518-0-74060400-1398544022_thumb.jpg

I chose to simply hang the rope coils off the davit 'cleats' after perusing images on the Internet, it seemed like the common method.

post-518-0-99205100-1398544025_thumb.jpg

Attaching the life rings onto the aft rails, just a dab of GS cement.

post-518-0-57621700-1398544028_thumb.jpg

Bumkins (aka bumpkins aka boomkins) being affixed to the hull.  At first I had planned to modify these but instead I left them as is in order to represent the kit origins - something I have done here and there through the build.

post-518-0-27473900-1398544031_thumb.jpg

Hanging the anchors ... here is where I was applying weight to the forward end and then soaking the line in diluted/tinted PVA to give the illusion of weight tension.

post-518-0-23403000-1398544034_thumb.jpg

The result with the anchor canted more realistically.  The tint in the PVA is diluted black China ink, not a lot, to give the lines a dirty look when the glue dries.

post-518-0-13397600-1398544037_thumb.jpg

A bow view shot of the anchors in place.

post-518-0-48513600-1398544039_thumb.jpg

Attaching the 'chains' to the bumkins, some thin black nylon in this case.  This is the midships bumkin.

post-518-0-21200900-1398544042_thumb.jpg

And here's the aft bumkin.

post-518-0-59362000-1398544044_thumb.jpg

While I was attaching the blocks for the running rigging I consciously chose not to attach the blocks for the braces with the fear that I'd wind up getting confused and use the wrong ones.  Sage forethought as I would have made more mistakes ... but now comes the time to attach all the rest of the blocks for the braces.  A look at the mizzen mast with additional blocks in place.

post-518-0-89344400-1398544046_thumb.jpg

Putting the blocks on the bumkins - this is the port aft bumkin.

post-518-0-22467400-1398544060_thumb.jpg

And the port midships bumkin.

post-518-0-88506400-1398544062_thumb.jpg

Here we go with the first brace, mizzen royal starboard, loosely in place.

post-518-0-47272800-1398544065_thumb.jpg

Both mizzen royal braces in place with slight tension.

post-518-0-18207200-1398544068_thumb.jpg

And a not too clear view of the mizzen royal braces tied off - additional detailing like rope coils yet to come.

post-518-0-42267600-1398544071_thumb.jpg

So now there's just the rest of the braces to do ... just ...

This is the part that I never thought I'd get to in times past.  Getting here fills me with mild disbelief and moderate elation, but also there is the growing concern of what happens when I tie off the last line and glue down the last rope coil.  The question of who gets the Dame and where she will stay is still up in the air, thought I now have a place for her to reside temporarily while I figure this out.  However, such concerns I am putting aside until such time as they become the primary ones, right now I just have to concentrate of making sure I do the braces correctly.

Stay tuned for more ... but hopefully not a Lot more ;)

Kats aka Sailcat

'Obsessive' is just another way of saying 'Dedicated.

Completed Build Log:  Dame Tisane (1/96 Revell Cutty Sark re-imagined)  

Very nice and inspirative work

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

nice bit of progress......glad to see your on the move again! really great :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

JIm Lad raises  a point I just started contemplating:

Question 2:  If the anchors were stowed for sea, the cables would be unshackled and brought inboard and the anchors stowed on the forecastle. "

My question is where I might find a picture / drawing of an anchor stowed on deck. 

AND your ship is GREAT!!!  I love build photos showing solved issues.

Thanks!!

Edited by omarcs

Omar

Cutty Sark   Scientific kit 1:140ish

Your log inspired me to learn.

What are "braces" ( my poor english) ... a ha ! Allmighty Wiki for ship modelling begginers

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brace_(sailing)

Thank you !

In progress:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Kats, i'm amazed of the amount and the quality of the work you have done (just saw your build log). I'm not an experienced modeller , but what i'm seeing is unbelievable. :pirate41: :pirate41: :pirate41:

Cheers

Dimitris

Current Build: Amerigo Vespucci -Mantua- 1:100 scale

Completed Build logs: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Gallery: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Future Build: Royal Caroline -Panart- 1:47 scale

I thought braces were those things that people like me use to keep my pants up, the belt still works, but. Thinking of ordering a pair, be more comfortable than taking a double turn on the buckle and giving it a tug before  securing.    :cheers:

jud

Edited by jud

A Big Thank You to all of you for your kind words and encouragement :D

And at the risk of sounding like a TV Commercial - It's All About Braces!  Last post I ended with the beginnings of the mizzen braces being set up.  Since that time I have been puttering away at it, a bit at a time, and remembering to take a few photos along the way.  With that, here we go.

We start with the mizzen Royal and Topgallant braces in place - view is from starboard.

post-518-0-99514100-1399742131_thumb.jpg

These next two are the start of the Mizzen Upper Topsail braces from both sides for perspective.

post-518-0-10374800-1399742135_thumb.jpg

post-518-0-97015700-1399742137_thumb.jpg

And now the Mizzen Lower Topsail braces.

post-518-0-97360800-1399742140_thumb.jpg

Finally the Cro'jack (or Crossjack) braces.

post-518-0-83465600-1399742144_thumb.jpg

A view of the tie-off's for the braces - I'm going by the 'incorrect' kit instructions at this point because it's how the model is set up and the thought of trying to research and adapt to be more realistic is very, very, very intimidating, lol.

post-518-0-37123300-1399742148_thumb.jpg

Do the next thing ... which in this case involves the Mainmast Skysail braces.

post-518-0-67427000-1399742150_thumb.jpg

Followed by the Royal braces.

post-518-0-82361500-1399742152_thumb.jpg

And the Topgallant braces - again all of this is as per kit instructions.

post-518-0-61214200-1399742155_thumb.jpg

The Upper Tops'l braces being rigged - you can see the dangling line from the upper tops'l pendant.

post-518-0-93344600-1399742164_thumb.jpg

The Upper Tops'l braces in place now.

post-518-0-01297800-1399742168_thumb.jpg

The Lower Tops'l braces being rigged.  Hard to see for all the rigging now but trust me, they're there.

post-518-0-00199300-1399742171_thumb.jpg

And we end with the Lower Tops'l braces in place.

post-518-0-25275600-1399742174_thumb.jpg

What I haven't gone on about, nor shown, is the 'fun and joy' of the tying off of the braces to their respective pins on deck.  I can say that I accomplished it with no breakage or snapping of lines in place - how I did this is a mystery to me though ;)

So almost through with the Mainmast braces which will only leave the Foremast braces to complete.  And at that point I will call this adventure over, which is probably why I have been procrastinating a bit.  Funny and contradictory, but for these last 4 1/2 years all I could think about was the perceived impossibility of actually 'finishing' this re-build, yet now that the finish line is within reach, close enough that all I have to do is reach out and grab it, I find that I don't Want to, not really.  Oh, there are always more things to do, like build the display case and find a home for her, but I am now getting the full realization of Why people put themselves through the seemingly Herculean effort of building and rigging these kinds of ship models - repeatedly.

Before now if I'd been asked if I'd ever do something like this again I might not have had an easy answer.  Now though my answer would be, "Of course I will.  The only questions are How Soon and What Kit."

And on that note I leave with the bittersweet certainty that this is the penultimate post in this Build Log - unless I find a way to draw it out even longer, lol.

Kats aka Sailcat

Very, very, verry ... I just have no proper works

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

she's looking great Kats.   I'd ask around.........I'm sure there's a restoration job out there with your name on it  :D     you've done such a  stellar job with this one.  have you though about what your next build will be?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement once again :D  

The display case is planned but I haven't really looked into it yet, soon though.  And that's because this is my last post for this Build Log ... yes, it's finally 'done' in the sense that the work on the ship itself is as complete as planned.  There's still the case as mentioned, plus little tweaks for the final appearance adjustments.  But for now I'll just get on with the last photos.

Fore Royal braces in place.

post-518-0-16262300-1400452864_thumb.jpg

Fore Topgallant braces.

post-518-0-73101700-1400452866_thumb.jpg

Fore Upper Tops'l braces.

post-518-0-38066400-1400452869_thumb.jpg

Fore Lower Tops'l braces loose fit before tying off.

post-518-0-91798600-1400452872_thumb.jpg

Fore Lower Tops'l braces tied off and Course braces loose fit.

post-518-0-88154800-1400452875_thumb.jpg

Fore Course braces tied off.

post-518-0-18080900-1400452879_thumb.jpg

The last of the decorative rope coils in place and the finish line is crossed.  :dancetl6:

post-518-0-53824200-1400452881_thumb.jpg

The Dame Tisane.

post-518-0-27026000-1400452920_thumb.jpg

post-518-0-38195200-1400452926_thumb.jpg

And the rest I'll save for the Completed Model Ship thread.  Many thanks to everyone who looked in and provided much needed advice and information.  Special thanks to Jim, Dan, Popeye, Dafi and likely others who've slipped my mind, for helping me out repeatedly when I was struggling with stuff.  It's because of you folk that I was able to get to this point :D

And as to what may come next - I've been feeling the itch to do other things hobby wise but I also can't stop thinking about the next nautical adventure.  Perhaps the New Bedford whale boat, I really like that kit ...

Kats aka Sailcat

congratz Kats on a build well done!  who would have thought that mess you showed us in the beginning,  would transform into this beautiful looking ship!   your efforts definitely show..........I certainly hope to see another fine build with your name on it  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Congratulations Kats.  It's been a long haul and it looks like it was worth it.  Sit back, have a celebratory beverage and be proud.  That is one helluva accomplishment and should set the standard for detailing and re-building.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

congratulations Kats!!  I am blown away that you were able to start with the wreck that this model was and rescue it to the beauty she is now!  Wonderful!!

John

future build: to finish Mary Rose

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8507-mary-rose-by-tarbrush-scale-172-1545/?hl=%2Bmary+%2Brose

completed builds:  Constructo Steam Launch Louise

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Just realised I never really congratulated for the great result ...

Wonderfully done, DAniel

... and for nostalgic reasons I repeat the first picture you showed - what a marvel you did!

post-518-0-74023200-1361063102_thumb.jpg

Edited by dafi

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

:im Not Worthy:  :im Not Worthy:  :im Not Worthy:

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Just realised I never really congratulated for the great result ...

Oops - me either  :huh:  :huh:  :huh:  :blush:  :blush:  :blush:  .

Great job Kats. I'm with John - that mess you showed us in the beginning would have been way beyond repair for just about anyone on here, including me. Your persistence really paid off :) .

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

• The title was changed to Cutty Sark by Sailcat - FINISHED - Revell - 1/96 - PLASTIC - Rescue kit bash morphed to Dame Tisane