US Brig Niagara by rfolsom - Model Shipways

Hello, everyone;  I'm new to posting on MSW but have been working on my Niagara build for a few weeks now;  I hope I get the "posting learning curve" correct (thank you, moderators) and become a productive member of this great community!  I'm sure I'll get more out than I put in, as I am a relative beginner, but I'll try my best :)  First question:  how do I resize my photos so they fit? Thanks for your help.

Bob

Hello Bob

Welcome to MSW and the Niagara Club :)

Its not really a club but there are 5-10 of us now. We all watch help and encourage each other

Look forward to your participation

Regards

Ken

Under construction  US Brig Niagara

Completed  HMB Endeavour - Caldercraft

Hello Bob,

Welcome aboard. I have moved your other topic about your build of Billing Boats Cutty Sark to the 'Kit Build Logs in Progress'.

You can also start a buildlog there of your Niagara.

To help you find your way around the forums, please have a look at the topics in our 'Questions/instructions on how to use and post to this forum/Site Problems or suggestions'. It contains a lot of tips.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/forum/47-questionsinstructions-on-how-to-use-and-post-to-this-forumsite-problems-or-suggestions/

You can start a buildlog here: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/53-before-you-post-your-build-log-please-read-this-starting-and-naming-your-build-log/

This topic explains how to add pictures in your posts: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/540-how-to-add-pictures-in-your-posts-and-pms/

Good luck with your build and happy modeling.

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Hello Anja; Could you please move this posting into build log for kits under the niagara?  I thought this was my start for a niagara build log but I must have made a mistake;  thank you for your patience in helping me..

Newbie Bob

Hello Bob,

I have moved the topic for you.

Just take your time and have a look at the links I posted for you.

You will soon find your way around the forum.

If you have any 'How to ...' Questions, have al look here first. Maybe the question has already been asked and answered.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/forum/47-questionsinstructions-on-how-to-use-and-post-to-this-forumsite-problems-or-suggestions/

The forums 'Ship Modeling Tips, Techniques and Research' and 'General Kit Discussion' also contain a lot of information.

A question for you. I think your Niagara is from Model Shipways?

If so, please let me know, so I can change the topic title accordingly.

Good luck.

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

A very warm welcome Bob,  the "Niagara Club" grows stronger everyday.  Perhaps if we get enough builders on the forum we can petition the forum to changes its name to model Niagara world... :dancetl6:.  In any case it is great to have you hear and I will truly enjoy watching your build, which looks like it is off to a great start.  I found the framing to be a little tricky, but yours looks like it is moving along smoothly.  

Great work,

Brian 

Welcome aboard to the Niagara Club!!  :)  

You'll find we're a unique bunch, and we're always there to help and support each other!  This has been the best way to learn this art.

Great start with the framing- looks like you'll be coming up to speed in no time!  :)  Keep up the good work and post pictures.  :)

-Rich

Hello all;  finally finished the base framing for the coamings tonight...  And no, they aren't perfectly square to anything, they are just there to give support to the deck planks that butt against the coamings.  I have tried to preserve the lay of the deck, including the camber.  Here's also a pic or two of the Cutty Sark I've been (mostly) scratch-building for the last 16 months.  This is a big learning process for me, but it's fun, and beats the heck out of my childhood builds (alll plastic, Revell mostly).  When I was 10 years old, in the 70's, I sandwiched two hull halves of the cutty sark with the deck in between, and painted the copper all in one day.  It's taken me 16 months to replicate the process with POB and individual copper plates.. :D

post-3909-0-44274100-1373185980_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-84488600-1373186109_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-66853900-1373186246_thumb.jpg

Hi Bob,

Welcome to the Niagara club. Your build is looking very good.

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Hello, everyone;

I'm now at the point of installing the waterway and planksheer.  I have decided, after much measurement, to build a mockup of a portion of the deck.

This will be similar to Model Expo's Carronade display, only on the level of the 1:64 Niagara.  I plan on copying a portion of bulkheads G,H, and I, a section of the waterway and planksheer, and then frame the gunports, plank the bulwarks, deck, and hull.  In this little (approx.) 3 x 1.5 area.  I will be testing the fitting of everything, testing the paints, and of course the carronade's rigging.  I'll post pics soon, hopefully...

OK.  I duplicated portions of bulkheads G, H, and I and built a mock-up of this portion of the ship.  I also have finished the waterway and planksheer for this mini-model.

I really thought doing this process would be a  pain in the ***, but It is actually alot of fun!  An extra bonus is I'm getting more practice on my new scroll saw :D

post-3909-0-51027700-1373764912_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-75324500-1373764923_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, (and gals);

I finished planking and painting the outside of my "test section", and found out a few things on how to proceed:

1)  Did not like the look of the yellow ochre supplied in model expo's Niagara paint set.

2)  Made the mistake of using a 3/32" wide plank at the bottom of the sweep ports. (1/8"  makes it even with the plans)

3)  Decided to go with the red 1/32" square plank end frame coverings lining the ports.

I've now finished all of the gun/sweep port framings, finished most of the sanding, and started painting the waterway/planksheers.  Next I need to add the bow timberheads and knightheads, and then add all those tedious little 1/32" strips lining the vertical sides of the ports.

I found out I had to add a 1/32" shim to the tops of most of the timberheads in order to make their height consistent with the run of the planksheer, and also had to shim a few, and sand a few, of the timberhead sides in order to have the carronade pin holes be properly centered within the gunports.  I also needed to pull out the dremel and undercut the waterway in two places where I neglected to properly fair the run of the deck, and then man-handle the waterway into a smoother position.  Hopefully when bulwark planking commences, I will have few unpleasant suprises.  (Not likely, but one can only hope...) :D

post-3909-0-91716400-1375512562_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-21571400-1375512570_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-68846700-1375512581_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-08599600-1375512590_thumb.jpg

I cut the planks between the stern gunports, aligned them, and painted their edges to avoid masking next to the red gunport sill trim.  There's a slight deviation from the plans (ports seem about 1/64" - 1/32" too tall) but I will wait until the edges are planked;  and possibly even when the side bulwarks are planked to make a judgement call...

post-3909-0-84395500-1375688968_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-81514600-1375688995_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-22375200-1375689026_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-51424500-1375689041_thumb.jpg

good to see your back at the table Bob.......so far looking good ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Good morning Bob. Happy B-day. Your build is looking very clean.

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

I decided to ceil the inner bulwarks before doing the upper planking on the outside.  I am proceeding from stern to bow, alternating between starboard and port, and pre-painting the planking from one gun/sweep port to the next, bottom to top.  This is very tedious, but I am trying to avoid masking the fiddly 1/32" square strips, and also squaring the gun/sweep ports to the best of my ability, one at a time. After the inner bulwarks are completely ceiled, and the outer bulwarks also finished planking, I will then install the topmost planks, inner and outer.  After that, I plan on installing the top rail.

post-3909-0-10268700-1376726061_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-79056100-1376726079_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-02287100-1376726093_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-32093500-1376726100_thumb.jpg

Bob- as some advice, I'd recommend not putting on the cap rail just yet...  there's a bunch of stuff on the bulwarks that need to be installed (eyebolts, cleats, tiller rigging, pin rails, etc.), and it's a LOT easier without the extra overhang from the rail...  Even without the rail installed, it was still a bit tricky getting all of the fittings in place.  I ripped mine off a long time ago so I could have easier access.  I'll install mine once all deck fittings are in place (probably in a few weeks).

So twice 22?  lol- still a youngin'  (I'm just past being an eighteen-year-old twice myself, which probably explains why part of me feels young and the other part is an old fart~)

Enjoy your weekend!!!  :)

Rich;  Thanks for the advice.  So, you'd recommend completion and finishing of all the planking (hull and deck) and installation of all fittings before installing the cap rail?  This sounds like a good plan.  At the rate I'm going with planking the inner bulwarks, I probably won't need to make the decision for another couple of months.

I definitely agree with feeling both old and young at the same time;  My attitude and mindset still feels 22, but sometimes (many times?) my body seems to disagree!  Went hiking up Green Mountain today, and came within five feet of treading on a rattlesnake; (this after convincing my girlfriend there would be no snakes as this park is within the Denver metro area, and human traffic would scare them away... wrong!!)  So yes, I'll certainly enjoy my weekend now that one of us is not airlifted to the hospital... :o