aew

Radio control for an oar-powered model.

37 posts in this topic

The mortar is solid steel turned on a lathe, I would say it weighs about 10 pounds or under 5 kg, the only wooden parts are the stand. It could be safely used as a carbide cannon as long as you either chain it down or don't put in too much powder. I just went and measured it and the bore is 1 inch the powder pocket or powder bore is 3/4 by 1 inch deep. You could put a 1 inch bearing in there with a bit of fire space around it in the bore so it shouldn't jam and some space where the pins are screwed into. I would start with a little powder to see how it behaves first but I'll leave that up to my son to figure out. I only made it for something to do and thought they were vicious looking things so what the heck.

mtaylor likes this

That is a serious piece of hardware, Ben.  I would think that blanks would be the way to go with it since where that ball would end up who knows where.   

bensid54 likes this

Good point Mark I wonder just how far it would go? Let's put it this way I think it would do some serious damage in the wrong hands so maybe I'll just disable it and call it a paper weight.

mtaylor likes this

No need to disable it.  Just don't let the "kids" or those of us who are kid-like have it.   :)   I have a 1/24th British 9-pdr that I make from scratch.  It fires and will fire (or has fired a ball).  I filled the touch hole up with solder and re-blackened it.  Maybe that's the answer... fill the touchhole.

bensid54 likes this

I  could do that Mark, I figured filling in the hole would be the answer. I don't get any kids showing up and I'm still waiting for Grand kids to appear so it will likely only be a paperweight.

mtaylor likes this

The carbide I was referring to is Calcium Carbide, which when wetted with water releases acetylene gas.  Add a piezo-electric spark ignitor and it goes BANG, no projectile or high pressure - just a loud noise.  Google "carbide cannon" for more info.  They've been around for years.

:pirate41:

Richard

mtaylor, Jack12477 and bensid54 like this

Richard, 

Calcium carbide works well.  I won't go into detail about but all my potato guns were fired using the stuff.

bensid54, Jack12477 and Altduck like this