Pt. III: Shopping for Card Models

ccoyle

UPDATED 12/2022

The tutorial I will be writing will use a free kit as its subject, but supposing you wished to buy a paper model kit, where could you get one, and who makes the best kits?

The first question is rather easier to answer than the second, so we'll start by discussing the various publishing houses.  Few card model designers run their own publishing outfit; usually the designers farm their kits out to one or more publishing houses.  This makes it a little difficult to generalize about Publisher A versus Publisher B, because a designer might have his or her design published at both places.  Lesson: It pays to take note of who designed a particular kit you like, then look for that designer's work at different sites.  Something else to make note of is the date of publication.  CAD designing did not become commonplace until about the turn of the new century -- the earlier a kit is published prior to 2000, the more likely it is to be hand-drawn.  This is not to say that all hand-drawn kits are bad (they aren't) or that CAD-drawn kits are always preferable (they aren't either), but CAD-drawn kits usually have more and finer detail.

With that in mind, let's take a look at some of the major publishing firms.  This is by no means an exhaustive list, because due to the nature of the product and the fact that it can easily be electronically distributed, there are dozens of Mom and Pop sites that may have a limited offering available.  Here's a few of the better-known outfits:

WAK: This is currently my favorite Polish publisher and shop, as they have the best shipping rates to the US.

GPM:  GPM are one of the largest card model publishers in Poland.  They have a large selection of ship models in many scales, both in their own line and from many other publishers as well.  They also have an extensive inventory of after-market accessories.  Ordering by mail from Poland is usually not terribly expensive.  GPM's listed postage rates are steep, but according to reports from other modelers, GPM will calculate the actual postage charge and refund the difference between that and the rate calculated at their website.

Modelik:  Modelik carries only their own line of models, but as discussed previously, these are not all the work of one designer.  Modelik kits are generally well-regarded in the hobby.  Modelik charges a flat shipping rate of 15 EUR per order.

JSC:  JSC have an extensive line of ship models and are one of the few Polish publishers to offer a large selection of models in a scale other than the usual 1/200 favored in that country; JSC kits are normally either 1/250 or 1/400.  Many of JSC's kits are older hand-drawn designs.  JSC sells directly to the public and through other on-line retailers.

Kartonowy Arsenal (KA):  Better known by the surname of its owner and chief designer, Halinski, KA offer highly detailed models of mostly WWII warships.  Though often considered suited only for advanced modelers, the fact that they usually fit together so well eliminates some of the problems found in less well designed kits.  KA does not sell directly to the public. (EDIT (2022): KA does now sell directly from their site, although the ordering process is not what you might expect. You send an email specifying the products you wish to order, and then KA sends you a quote.)

Orel:  This Ukrainian publisher is relatively new to the scene, but they have been prolific.  They offer a large selection of mainly Czarist-era Russian vessels, including torpedo boats, destroyers, cruisers, and pre-Dreadnoughts in 1/200 scale.  Orel sells directly to the public as well as through larger firms like GPM. (UPDATE (Dec. 2022): Due to the current hostilities in Ukraine, Orel is not currently accepting orders.)

HMV:  The Hamburger Modellbaubogen Verlag is probably the premier German ship model publishing house.  Like other German publishers, their kits come in the 1/250 scale preferred in Germany.  They have a wide selection of mostly German warships, passenger ships, and merchantmen.  They also offer an extensive line of after-market detail sets.  HMV have been good about upgrading their designs, and several of their older hand-drawn models are currently being reworked as CAD models.  HMV does not sell directly to the public from their website.

Moewe Verlag:  Also known as Wilhelmshavener, this publisher has an extensive line of warships, passenger ships, and merchantmen in 1/250.  Ordering from them can be kind of tricky, since many of their kits are hand-drawn models dating as far back as the 1960’s, and this isn’t always obvious when browsing their website.  MV kits tend to be less detailed than HMV kits, but they have a broader selection and somewhat lower prices.  They don’t offer after-market detail sets.  Moewe kits can be purchased on-line from their website.

J F Schreiber:  Schreiber are the third major German publisher.  Their kits are, as a rule, less detailed than either HMV or Moewe, but they offer more kits of simpler subjects suited to beginning modelers.  They also offer more kits in 1/100 scale than other publishers.  Schreiber operates an on-line store.

Paper Shipwright:  Designer David Hathaway’s line of kits is unique in its extensive offering of monitors.  David also designs small passenger craft and working vessels.  These are generally very good kits and also reasonably priced, with a fair but not overwhelming amount of detail.  Paper Shipwright kits can be ordered directly from their website.

Shipyard: The premier publisher of card model sailing subjects. Shipyard kits are distributed in the US by Ages of Sail.

In addition to the aforementioned publishers, many excellent designs are available from smaller outfits, some notable ones of which include Digital Navy and Answer (perhaps not exactly 'small outfits', but their ship model selections are limited).  As noted, some of these publishers sell directly to the public, and some don’t.  Finding a retailer that carries the kits you want can sometimes be a taxing ordeal, but here are some of the more popular sites:

GPM, Orlik, and Model-Hobby are three of the larger Polish retailers, each carrying their own in-house models as well as designs from other firms.

Karton Modell Shop is a German retailer with a good selection from a variety of designers.

Marcle Models are one of the larger distributors in the UK.

Paper Model Store is practically the only US retailer with a broad selection of Polish kits.  None from Germany, though. (UPDATE: The PMS website has been inactive for years now, and the seller appears to selling on eBay these days.)

E-Cardmodels is a retail venue for a slew of small designers -- a lot of variety of subjects, scales, and degree of difficulty.

HMV are sold through Fentens Paper Models. As of December, 2022, HMV is looking for a new US distributor.

There are many, many other places to buy kits on-line, but these should get you started.  Have fun browsing!

Back to Part II: Start for FREE!     On to Pt. IV: Tools & Other Supplies

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I've been looking at some of the Shipyard (Poland) kits and have a question.  What is the difference between a "paper" kit and a "laser cardboard" kit?  Obviously, the cardboard kit looks to have a heavier stock and also a smaller product offering...I only see 6 ship kits listed on their site.  I'd suppose the paper kits are more of a heavy paper and also not precut with a laser?  It also looks like the laser cardboard kits come with brass, paint and rigging, more like a standard wood kit.  

With Shipyard, one gets a variety of choices: kit alone, formers alone, plans alone, kit plus formers, and 'complete kits', which include parts, paint, details, rigging, the works.  So at the GPM site, for example, the kits labeled "laser cardboard" are indeed the complete kits -- everything is included.  Price goes up accordingly as well.  Personally, I prefer my wooden subjects to be modeled in wood, especially if I'm going to fork over that much cash.  But, as we have all seen at this site, Doris works wonders with wood subjects built in card, so to each their own.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

• 1 year later...

I'm guessing false positive Skip.   Neither Trend Micro nor Malwarebytes screamed.  McAfee is known for false positives.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 years later...

Not sure if this is the right place to post. I have recently found these card sellers - all have English language website options plus very tidy websites.

https://www.super-hobby.com/ 

https://www.kartonmodellbau.de (Fentens) - there is a Fentens in Australia as well but the stock is limited. Please note that Abadonna no longer exists so there is no longer a Shipyard 'ship' outlet in Australia although you can get their lighthouse kits from Modellers Central.

https://www.papel3d.com/en/

Of course Cornwall sell card models as well, and their PP, as most of you would know, is very reasonable

RICHMOND

Edited by Richmond

Current Builds

Mikasa by I Love Kit - 1:200 - Plastic

HMS Beagle by Occre - 1:48 - Wood

• 9 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I just ordered two kits from Moewe Verlag and they were fulfilled - very promptly - by their US rep HB Precision Card Models (www.hbprecisioncard.com).   If you're in the US, going through HB Precision Card will simplify ordering and, since they have their own stock, it's a big boon for rapid gratification.

Bob

current build                               past builds

Mayflower - Model Shipways - 1:76.8                              USS Peary (DD 226) - Tehnoart Ltd - 1:96 (gallery)

upcoming builds                                                                     USS DeHaven (DD 727) - Tehnoart Ltd - 1:192

Statenjacht - Kolderstok - 1:50                                            USS Robert E. Peary (FF 1073) - 1:250

Fluytschip - Kolderstok - 1:72   

• 1 month later...

A rather sad update to share:

I have noticed in recent months that there have been no new models published by Halinski (also known as Kartonowy Arsenal) -- it has been over two years, in fact, since their most recent kit announcement. I just found out today that Marcin Dworzecki, the graphic artist who has colorized most of Halinski's product line, is no longer collaborating with that publisher, so there is a bit of a cloud hanging over Halinski's publishing future. I would encourage anyone who is interested in acquiring any currently available Halinski kits to get them soon -- most publishers rarely, if ever, do second runs once a kit sells out. You can buy Halinski kits and accessories direct from the publisher.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

If I can add something, Mr Dworzecki is working now with Answer Publisher. http://www.answer.pl/pl/home/4022-fm-2-wildcat-zestaw-model-szkielet-kabina-kola.html

And here is the link to his newest work http://www.konradus.com/forum/read.php?f=1&i=392895&t=392895&filtr=0&page=1. This Hellcat will be available soon.

Edited by Paragraf

Yes, I should have mentioned that Marcin's work can still be found on kits offered by other publishers. It appears that the new Card Army line, for which Marcin does the artwork, will at least partially be filling the high-end niche for card models, though from what I have seen of Card Army so far, those kits are even more insanely detailed than even the most recent Halinski kits. They are way beyond my skill level, to be sure!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco