HMS Triton Cross Section by Rusty - FINISHED - 1:48

The notches were cut with a chisel and xacto.

Here's a sample. Oh and yes of course it is!

post-43-0-26980900-1361408502_thumb.jpg

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Very clean and precise chiseling, Rusty.  Looks great.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Yes very clean cut. You must have good eye site and steady hands, unlike me.  :D

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

Very nice Rusty. I do remember your log. I got a few questions, just three,,,

.- TREENAILS: For the treenailing did you use the Byrne Drawplate or you sand a piece of boxwood?

Link to the Byrnes Drawplate. http://www.byrnesmodelmachines.com/drawplate1.html?id_mm=0219MM352526

.- CAULKING: How you did it? Did you use black ink with white glue or paper? The result is very clean and neat!

.- FINISHING: Did you paint the frames before plank them interior and exteriorly? What paint, oil did you use?

Thanks very much!

Glad to see there is so many builders back to the cross setion...Let´s see how many come back to the complete model. I miss a lot Randy, Wang, bubblehead,John and much more...

Happy day!

Daniel.

Rusty your doing an excellent job.If mine turns out half as good i'll be happy.    Larry

With Age Comes Wisdom,I'm Still Waiting!

Current Builds:Syren.Triton Cross section.

Completed Builds: Virginia by AL

King of the Mississippi by AL

Constellation by AL

Thanks Mark, Bob, Ron and Larry.

Daniel, whatever wood I’m using to make my treenails out of
I cut to 1/32”x1/32” and then run it through the Byrnes draw plate down to the
size I want. I went down to # 26 for these treenails.

The Caulking is blackconstruction paper edge glued to each plank prior to placing the on the frames.
I want to try the method of leaving a gap and using colored fill to make the
caulk sometime.

The frames have two very light coats of wipe on poly applied
prior to attaching them to the keel. When I sanded to fair the frames it
removed the poly from the surfaces where planking would be placed and allowed
for good adhesion.

Ben, I had the pleasure of meeting Jeff once at a show and
he’s every bit as nice as you would think he is.

You're so close you could just drive over and pick you wood out! B)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Nothing much to show other than just working my way across the lower gun deck. I temporarily  glued the plans on because I didn't trust myself to transfer the measurements. Seems to make straighter lines for me at least. :huh: 

post-43-0-16711200-1362151469.jpg

post-43-0-14871700-1362151470.jpg

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Hi Pete,

I glue them in place and then cut the notches. It will be harder to do it this way

but for me I feel I can get a better fit in the end.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Hi All, I've beeen working my way across the deck here.

Slow going but it's coming out ok.

post-43-0-66748900-1362695641.jpg

Here is one of the knees before I put it in.

post-43-0-82829600-1362695642.jpg

I hope to finish the deck by the weekend and maybe lay some planks too! :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Ooooohh! That really looks superb rusty,

Everything looking very precise, at that boxwood is the nuts!

Did you spend a lot of time on that knee, looks like fun to get the shape just right and the steps against the hull planking.

Ben

Beautiful knees, :D  legs arn't bad either.Rusty you are an artist in wood.   Larry

With Age Comes Wisdom,I'm Still Waiting!

Current Builds:Syren.Triton Cross section.

Completed Builds: Virginia by AL

King of the Mississippi by AL

Constellation by AL

Thanks everyone, The first knee took about 1 hour. I've cut in half so far.

6 more to go so maybe by the last one I can get it down to 15 minutes. :D

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Beautyful and precise work, looks really nice, Rusty

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Thanks Christian,

Hi Joss, I will be using holly to plank half of the lower deck.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Well the lower deck framing has been completed and sanded.

post-43-0-35112600-1363000858.jpg

Ieven had time to add the waterways. They were cut from cherry as will the bulwark planks.

post-43-0-49598200-1363000871.jpg

post-43-0-85015900-1363000876.jpg

Next up will be planking half of the deck with holly and then tree nailing it.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Rusty,

very nice joints. It's looking really good.

You are building a lot of section models. The dark site of ship modelling is beautyful, isn't it? ;)  

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Hi Christian, Yes the dark side is wondefull!

Ben, That's for adding the main topsail bitts later on.

At least that's what I hope the plans say. ;)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Rusty,

Looks great!!!!!! 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)