HMS Triton Cross Section by Rusty - FINISHED - 1:48

Did you enjoy making them? I hated making these more than I did sanding I think.

Hi Joss, I'll let you know. I still have 6 to go. :o So far they are on the top of my

list as the least amount of fun. A good challenge but the fun level is a little low.  :D

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Rusty

Your build is looking very nice. I haven't made any knees yet and I'm not looking forward to making them. But, when I do I hope that they will turn out to be as nice as yours.

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

Rusty what an  artist. The skill is amazing.       Larry

With Age Comes Wisdom,I'm Still Waiting!

Current Builds:Syren.Triton Cross section.

Completed Builds: Virginia by AL

King of the Mississippi by AL

Constellation by AL

Thanks Ron, Ben and Larry.

The first successful knee took about an hour and a half. I’ve got it

down to almost 45 minutes now. Five down and five to go.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

All of the knees are now finished and installed. Taking these pictures

I noticed a couple of gaps I didn't notice before. Dang camera's. :P

post-43-0-83968200-1365810820_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-24559300-1365810824_thumb.jpg

Next up will be to cut the notches for the carlings. Normally it's better to cut them

while the ledges are off the model. That doesn't work so well for me. I end up

with carlings that look like they are drunk. So I cut out the plans and glue them

on the ledges and check them with a piece of wood laid over them to make sure

I have a straight run. Them I cut the notches and fit the carlings.

post-43-0-78441000-1365810827_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-11948000-1365810831_thumb.jpg

This will take awhile but I'll keep you informed.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Gaps?  What gaps?  I even zoomed in... It might be better (by some people's definition) to cut the notches off ship, but you do what's right for you.  I tried it both ways on mine and found I preferred to do them "on ship" also.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

OK, I can't spend any more time looking for gaps that don't exist.  I did enjoy looking at the beautiful work on those knees though.

Nice work!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Simply stunning. Your beams and kees are looking fantastic.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Beautiful Rusty,I'm green with envy.    Larry

With Age Comes Wisdom,I'm Still Waiting!

Current Builds:Syren.Triton Cross section.

Completed Builds: Virginia by AL

King of the Mississippi by AL

Constellation by AL

Thank all. You know we are our own worst critiques and if you don’t see‘em

I not pointing them out! :o Oh and those who said I have beautiful knees have

never seen me in a pair of shorts! :D

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Well here is a start on all of the carlings. You can see how I first cut

out the plans and glue them in place and then work my way around

cutting the notches and fitting the carlings.

That's a start but there are a whole bunch more to do!

post-43-0-26621900-1366059151_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-65567600-1366059153_thumb.jpg

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Hi Grant. I am cutting mortices. You see some angle cuts on the ledges

but that is my first step in cutting them out. I try to get the width correct

and then I do the depth. Thanks.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Hi Rusty,

Just caught up on this one of yours (you have so many!). Beautiful work as usual. I really like your method of cutting the nothes for the carlings and ledges - will keep that in mind for the next project.

Thank you all.

Pete. I just lay an old towel on the bench, grip the model with my left hand

and cut with my right. That way I can twist and turn it as needed. 

A vise, for this, I find is to restrictive. If you had a piture of this you

would think I'm trying to crawl inside. :D

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Beautiful work Rusty. Looking forward to seeing more pictures.

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

Excellent work on the joinery.   I've learned from my experience to just plank the whole deck.. hides all the sins.  Yours has no sins.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)