USS Constitution by CaptainSteve - Model Shipways - 1:76.8 scale

Nice work, Capt'n.  She's looking glorious.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

That's a nice looking rear end you've got there Steve! ;) ... On the ship, that is!

I admit to being a little confused by what it was you are trying to achieve ( I have but a simple mind ) until I saw the last few photos, then it all became clear.

I like what your doing here Captn and will be watching very closely.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

I admit to being a little confused by what it was you are trying to achieve ( I have but a simple mind ) until I saw the last few photos, then it all became clear.

Don't sweat it, Mobbsie ... I usually model in a confused state-of-mind.

:cheers:

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

I thought confusion was a normal part of the process... :o  :o

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks fer that, Greg !!

:dancetl6:  :dancetl6:  :dancetl6:

I definitely recommend starting up yer own Build Log. The benefits far outweigh the costs.

Fer meself, I find it motivates me to keep going thru the endless re-dos ...

:cheers:

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

• 4 weeks later...

There hath been troubles, triumphs and tribulation a-plenty in CaptainSteve’s modellin’ room o’er these past few weeks ...

Now, despite being greatly enthused and inspired as he was by works of magnificence such as those from Doris … and Siggi … and so many, many others, CaptainSteve doth wish-eth to note that he hath always intended fer the stern quarters interior detailin’ to be viewed at “galloping horse” speeds.

“Or faster, if possible !!”, he were to interject.  

“Forsooth,” he were to open with. “I didst maketh plans and all …”
post-675-0-86606500-1454786931_thumb.jpgpost-675-0-65870100-1454786934_thumb.jpg

For, verily, from whence Our Hero didst first plan to display some sort of furniture in the Great Cabin region, he didst intend-eth plan to utilise the veneers of Tasmanian Blackwood for the interior panelling…
post-675-0-25984500-1454786994_thumb.jpg

“It be a beautiful wood, don’t it ??” he enquired of the horde.

The problem, and the part that he forgot to be mentioning, is that it also be an extremely close-grained hardwood, thusly making it most difficult to work with …

“But it also be a right PITA to work-eth with, and prone to much splinterin’ and shatterin’ !!”, Our Hero were to declare-eth.

“Whilst I were not to keep many pictures o’ me failings,” he stammered weakly, by way of explanation, “I didst try to simulate the panelling with me Proxxon mill.”
post-675-0-22741300-1454786940_thumb.jpg

Eventually, CaptainSteve did constructeth a board-room table from a small piece of the Blackwood …
post-675-0-29611400-1454786991_thumb.jpg

CaptainSteve explains: “In the instance o’ the first, I be a-planning on adding false doors at the back of Bulkhead R …”
post-675-0-08180400-1454786922_thumb.jpg

“… as well-eth, there wouldst be doors leading to each o’ the side galleries.”
post-675-0-83887200-1454786924_thumb.jpg

“In addition, I didst also paint-eth some wall-paintings …”

If truth be known, Our Hero didst merely build-eth a frame, some 3mm square, and didst glue-eth such to a postage stamp. All that remained was a quick trim.

post-675-0-06222300-1454786978_thumb.jpg

“Arr !!” he were to mumble, sheepishly. “I be found out. I didst think-eth that, at a ‘galloping horse viewing distance’ mayhaps no-one wouldst notice.”

post-675-0-09669800-1454786930_thumb.jpg

Here be pictures ….
post-675-0-08718500-1454786981_thumb.jpgpost-675-0-91347000-1454786983_thumb.jpgpost-675-0-39588200-1454786986_thumb.jpgpost-675-0-01457300-1454786989_thumb.jpg

“Ye may note,” CaptainSteve noted, “that the lounge be just a piece of doll-house furniture which I were to ha’ a-layin’ about the place.”

post-675-0-68186900-1454786927_thumb.jpg

Our Hero intends to be a-leavin’ the doors sittin’ ajar …
“It be the better fer allowing me lighting to be visible through the side gallery windows.”
post-675-0-54435200-1454786918_thumb.jpg

As a final touch, he didst make-eth up a pair of map scrolls …
“These, I be just sitting lazily upon me Blackwood Captain's table,” he explained.
post-675-0-98614800-1454786942_thumb.jpgpost-675-0-85641500-1454786974_thumb.jpg

“By the by … “, CaptainSteve were to cry-eth out !! “I didst modify the angle o’ me window frames e’er so slightly.”

Upon checking the pictures in AOTS more closely, Our Hero didst find-eth that the angles of the window frames are, more accurately: 3.50, 70 and 10.50. As such, new templates were cut from scrap card pieces.

post-675-0-46519200-1454786937_thumb.jpg

“In truth,” he were to explain-eth, pointing to the above picture, “I didst decideth to go instead with angles of 40, 80 and 120.”

CaptainSteve be thinkin’ that these settings be more aesthetically pleasing …

What say-eth the Horde ??

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

“Now, those wi’ a keen eye,” CaptainSteve were to continue, “may ha’ noticed above that there still be two o’ the stern timbers yet to be fitted.”

This be because, as previously mentioned, he doth plan on adding LED lights to this build.

These timbers have been drilled for the LEDs …

post-675-0-93870100-1454787991_thumb.jpg

… and grooved to take-eth the wiring for same …
post-675-0-96445500-1454787994_thumb.jpg

“A’ready,” Our Hero began-eth, “the wiring plug hath been fitted to me keel, and wiring stubs hath been brought inside.”
post-675-0-04817500-1454787998_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, that be close to the limits o’ CaptainSteve’s electrical know-how. Fortunately, he doth know-eth of a colleague much skilled in the (un)dark arts.

“As such,” he went-eth on, “I be leavin’ this update here for now. But a-fore we get into matters of Electrification, an anecdote …”

Indeed-eth, CaptainSteve doth recall-eth an incident from his own Youth, whereby he were to discover-eth for his ownself the basic principles o’ the process o’ Electrification.

“T’was Christmas time o’ that year”, he were to begin-eth. “And I be but ten years o’ age. Me brother, CaptainDennis (fer whom this ‘ere build be intended), were but 16 months younger ‘an me ownself.”

“Indeed-eth,” Our Hero were to explain, “he remain-eth so, to this very Day !!”
Ahem …

To cut a long an’ rambling story short, Our Hero and his brother had managed to con their beloved parents into a deal whereby these two schemers would receive the super-duper-all-extras-included-bestest-deal-on-the-planet-ever-Mum-and-Dad-honest-to-God-electric-race-car-track-set as a combined Xmas AND next birthday present for the both of them.

(Regular fans may wish to take-eth note o’ CaptainSteve’s choice o’ terminology here: specifically, "a combined ... present” and, " ... for the both of them".)
‘Scuse me ?? Betwixt two brothers, you say, CaptainSteve ??

Surely this could lead to nothing but co-operation and an out-pouring of filial love.

All were goodly up until the time whence we didst taketh to re-designing the track lay-out. Something went awry, and one car didst becometh stationary and most uncompetitive !!

Reasoning, even at this tender age, that there be no mains power, Our Hero decides to test the voltage … by applying his tongue across the metal bits of a section of track.

Crouched o’er the track and with his tongue in contact with the rails of the track, he signals to his beloved younger brother:
“Juth a wee bid, bruvva-deareth”, he were to utter.

“What ??” asked his beloved younger brother, as he plunged the plunger on the controller to its’ full-plungeable depth.

“GAAAAAAAAAAahhhhhhh !!” were CaptainSteve heard to reply-eth.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

That now brings us to the “tribulations” section o’ this series of postings …

“Arr !! Indeed-eth it does !!” noted CaptainSteve, forlornly. For, twouldst seem-eth that, upon final inspection, one o’ the stern timbers were to be out of alignment.”
post-675-0-97688300-1454788108_thumb.jpg

Further, and far worse, whereby Our Hero didst e’er so lightly attempt to correct this piece, tragedy were to strike … and it didst break-eth !!!
post-675-0-91517500-1454788111_thumb.jpg

“And it be a corner timber, as well !! Thusly, I beseech-eth, o’ Ye o' the Horde,” he were to implore-eth. “Wouldst I be able to re-attach the piece ??”

As of this past even-tide, CaptainSteve hath re-glued the broken timber upright …

“But,” he sighed, most heavily, “I be left a-wondering, will this be structurally sound ??”

Given that it is a corner upright, couldst he drill-eth a hole, and mayhaps use a small piece of wire – a piece from a staple, mayhaps – as an anchor, to re-affix-eth the errant timber upright ??

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

The angle looks alright Steve, but that broken timber will probably remain a weak-point, at least until the rest of the timbering is in place, and the sides and rear are planked.  Don't know for sure there Captain, without actually seeing it in person, I'd have to say it's a judgement-call. 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Instead of drilling a hole, which sounds scary, what if you filed a groove down the side, so you could set a thin rod into it, and hold it with wood glue? That way, it'd be stronger in the meantime, but wouldn't have a hole in the middle, and you could release the glue when you're ready to remove the rod. And the groove would presumably be hidden once the model's done if you put it on the proper side. Am I crazy?

These all good plans, lad.   I'd say, pick one and run with it.  Since it is a corner, check ye plans and see if the inside or outside planking attaches to it.  That will add strength to the corner.   As we know,the stern was the weak point on these vessels...  A raking broadside astern was a terrible thing.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thank Ye, everyone. Verily, I believe I shall step back for a day or two and re-assess me next move.

Instead of drilling a hole, which sounds scary, what if you filed a groove down the side, so you could set a thin rod into it, and hold it with wood glue? That way, it'd be stronger in the meantime, but wouldn't have a hole in the middle, and you could release the glue when you're ready to remove the rod. And the groove would presumably be hidden once the model's done if you put it on the proper side. Am I crazy?

CH. I do believe that is quite a sane suggestion.

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Captain - You could do it like you first said with the pin and glue, then use "battens" like Ken did for the bulwark extensions in his build, for protection from breakage until he could get planking on them? 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I like Cathead's solution more than drilling a hole. And like George says, the rest of the timbering goes on and strengthens the whole she-bang.

All were goodly up until the time whence we didst taketh to re-designing the track lay-out. Something went awry, and one car didst becometh stationary and most uncompetitive !!

Reasoning, even at this tender age, that there be no mains power, Our Hero decides to test the voltage … by applying his tongue across the metal bits of a section of track.

Crouched o’er the track and with his tongue in contact with the rails of the track, he signals to his beloved younger brother:
“Juth a wee bid, bruvva-deareth”, he were to utter.

“What ??” asked his beloved younger brother, as he plunged the plunger on the controller to its’ full-plungeable depth.

“GAAAAAAAAAAahhhhhhh !!” were CaptainSteve heard to reply-eth.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Sorry, Cap'n I just can't help meself. Methinks we all hath committed such acts in days of yore.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Excellent job there CaptainSteve!!! The sign of a great craftsman is not the absence of mistakes, it's the ability to fix it as though it never happened. I have faith in your being a great craftsman.

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

I sure admire you guys that jump in on a big project like this. You are doing great work on your Connie. It been fun looking over some of the threads I have missed over the last several months.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

• 5 months later...

Captain Steve, you are not only funny but a genius.

I just got back online (or inline?) and realized that in your post 393 you started all of this when you decided to take on Conny's back section. You improved her, you dressed up her interior and even took care of her ribs. Good for you.

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

• 4 months later...

It hath been way too long since CaptainSteve didst update-eth this log. Verily, some o’ Ye may even be a-thinkin’ that he didst chuck-eth in the towel and give-eth up on this build.

“Nothing,” declared Our Hero, stirring from semi-retirement, “couldst be further from the Truth.”

“Indeed-eth,” he were to go on, by way of explanation, “’Tis true that I may ha’ thrown a tantrum or two when me stern timber didst snap-peth. But that couldst easily ha’ been repaired.”

However, ‘twas whilst Our Hero was examining the damage done, a-scratching his head and contemplating his options, that he were to notice something that didst cause-eth him great consternation.

“Forsooth,” he were to begin. “I crap-peth thee not, but I were to discover-eth a most foul emission which I didst maketh.“

A most foul emission, you say, CaptainSteve ?? No surprises there !!

“A most foul O-mission, I didst mean-eth”, Our Hero were to haughtily correct-eth himself. “For, verily, ‘twouldst seem-eth that I didst neglect to work-eth in the curvature across Connie’s sternal regions.”

Indeed, the counter piece which had been made previously (and made-over, and over) were too short and the upright timbers didst result in a flat plane when taken horizontally across the stern. But, upon re-examining the plans and his vast collection of Connie cornucopia, it became clear that this were not to be the case … a slight outward curvature didst exist and was glaringly apparent.

“Besides,“ CaptainSteve didst interdict, if further justification were necessary, “She looks better that way !!” 
And, so, yet another do-over were to be in order ... a major one, this time.

“Verily, backward steps were taken …”, Our Hero didst declare-eth.
Thusly, he were to take-eth up his knife and didst remove-eth the timbers a-ready inserted, and he didst return-eth unto the drawing board.

Stay tuned, Dear Reader. An update be imminent …

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Thy patience has no bounds, good sir, nor thy fortitude in the face of such estimable challenges. As our dear bard once wrote, "How poor are they that have not patience? What would did ever heal but by degrees?"

“A’ first,” Our Hero began-eth, “I didst contemplate tearing out the entire gallery section and re-making me counter piece, fer it be mis-shapened, and doth lack-eth in length.”
post-675-0-78266700-1481429293.jpg

But, upon further reflection, he didst decide-eth that he couldst merely build-eth up the errant counter piece with added scrap strips of wood.

post-675-0-76092800-1481429290.jpg

“After all, this be only the framing and none shall be visible once the planking be on. At this point, I jus’ be needing to get the shapeliness a-right,” Our Hero self-justified.
post-675-0-76023300-1481429295.jpgpost-675-0-47045600-1481429299.jpg

Those wi’ a keen eye may have noticed that CaptainSteve has improved his photography skills … somewhat.
“I be getting meself a new camera,” he bragged. “It be just a Nikon Coolpix, but it come-eth with a new tripod, so I be a-hopin’ that future pics will be more better.”

Do you mean ‘in focus’, CaptainSteve ??

“Err … that, too”, he stammered.

At least it appears to have motivated Our Hero to return to his workshop.

To start this latest re-do, CaptainSteve did something radical and didst draw-eth up some plans to aide him.
post-675-0-58345300-1481429301.jpg

As before, Our Hero didst use the stern frame templates from his kit as a stencil. But this time, he hath elected to make separate pieces for the uprights and horizontal cross-beams.
“It be much easier,” he explained, “fer me to cut (and re-cut, and re-re-cut) these pieces in this manner.”
post-675-0-23943100-1481429304.jpgpost-675-0-95219100-1481429306.jpg

“Look-eth !! A-ready,” he declared, perhaps a little too smugly, “I be needing to re-make one of the upright stern timbers.”
post-675-0-00195300-1481429312.jpg

For each timber upright, CaptainSteve grooved a precisely measured groove in the base. Each, in turn, were set to 40, 80 or 120. In this manner, he hoped to position each timber/window frame properly.
“To be a-makin’ this easier on meself,” he began, “I took-eth me blade to some Lego blocks and didst slash-eth most precise angles unto each.”
post-675-0-78183200-1481429340.jpgpost-675-0-83746700-1481429343.jpg
"These be me tools fer setting the angles properly."

But, eventually, Our Hero had a full set of timbers …
post-675-0-55703400-1481429309.jpg

[NOTE: For those lacking in sense and wishing to follow in Our Hero’s footsteps in this manner, it should be noted that he didst mark the top of the “knuckle” on each timber upright, and use-eth this as a reference.]

Meanwhile, he took another piece of scrap and didst cut-eth a collar-piece …
post-675-0-61740100-1481429348.jpg

Here, the base-plank has been clamped to the back of the collar-piece for shaping.

“Again, I be utilising the kit templates …”
post-675-0-28900700-1481429346.jpg

“This ‘ere pic,” CaptainSteve droned on, “also shows a base-plank (having been soaked, heated and curved) to which me angled uprights shall be positioned and fitted …”
post-675-0-36797300-1481429314.jpg

[NOTE: The attached frame in the above pic is positioned the wrong way around. It is for demonstration purposes only, to show how the uprights are angled and fitted to the base-plank.]

“Next up,” Our Hero were to continue, “I didst finish me scantlings fer the gallery framing.”
post-675-0-39789400-1481429353.jpg

Looking closely (“Ye may be needin’ to squint.”), CaptainSteve has finished the uprights, the base- and collar-planks, as well as the roof beams.
“Two o’ these,” he were to helpfully point-eth out, “I didst groove-eth and drill to later take the lights and wiring.”
post-675-0-14047900-1481429351.jpg

“An’ two others,” he were to continue, “have been grooved to take the side gallery ‘walls’.”

And so, with the frame pieces complete, Our Hero took to construction …
“No need fer long-winded explanations,” he went on to explain, “me pictures be speaking fer themselves, I hope-eth.”
post-675-0-60910500-1481429355.jpgpost-675-0-11329800-1481429358.jpgpost-675-0-51443700-1481429360.jpgpost-675-0-04620800-1481429363.jpg

Next, CaptainSteve did notch-eth out his collar-plank.
post-675-0-49316700-1481429384.jpg

“This piece be locking me frames into place,” he didst add-eth, “locking them firmly in place at the required angles.”
It will also provide a seating for the ends of the cabin roof beams … once the lighting has been done.

“Patience patience,” CaptainSteve were to huff, somewhat exasperated, “I be getting’ to them. Just how much do ye be a-wantin’ from one update ??”

In closing, Our Hero’s final duty for this weekend were to be adding some extra wood to the outer footings (Frames 6 and 7).
“I be deliberately adding to the footings when I didst cut these,” he complained. “But, alas, ‘twere not enough.”
post-675-0-08376400-1481429387.jpg

Once the glue has dried, Our Hero will shape the footings to his satisfaction, but he be tired now and in need of a nap.

"Just 'cause I be knowin' you lot thrive on pictures," said CaptainSteve, wind-ething up, "here be some last-minute pics showing the framing loosely positioned in place."

post-675-0-36193400-1481431007.jpgpost-675-0-61010900-1481431011.jpgpost-675-0-25980200-1481431014.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

One further matter … Our Hero were to be a-reading back throughout-eth his own log recently, and didst happenstance to note a most handy tip which he hadst overlooked. As such, he hath now rectified the problem, and reinforced those fragile bulkhead tips wi’ a brew o’ diluted CA.

Many thanks to both Mark and XKen fer the helpful tip.

“But great damage,” CaptainSteve didst bemoan, “be wrought upon one o’ me paint-brushes – it be a chisel now.”

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Great to see you are back in the shipyard Steve.

Looking forward to following along again

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

That is very interesting way to do the stern framing!  :o

Looking forward how it will look like!

Markku

Current build:

MS - USS Constitution 1:76

Previous builds:

Corel - Flattie 1:25
AL - Mare Nostrum 1:35
Revell - Dom Fernando II e Gloria 1:200

Revell - USS Enterprise 1:720

Trumpeter - USS California 1:700