USS Constitution by CaptainSteve - Model Shipways - 1:76.8 scale

Well done, Capt'n.  Have pint or two to celebrate.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Early morning, still sleepy, for now hust -Woow!

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Thanks, Guys. Earlier today, I splashed a bit of Isopropyl about the place and removed the collar-plank. Once the new footings were sanded down level with the rest, I found that the collar was putting too much stress on the uprights, pulling them out of alignment.

I'll be needing to re-cut/re-groove that piece ... tomorrow.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Ahoy Capt!! And a fine job you have done there. You have even managed to use one of Gods greater gifts....the Lego! Next you'll be a-plankin' with Lincolns own Logs. I see by your last couple of pictures you even found the time to master your cameras White Balance settings. As Mark said, have a pint, or two.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Looking awesome as usual CaptainSteve!

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

• 3 months later...

Thanks, Dave. I see you have overtaken me with your own Constitution build. I'm enjoying following that very much. Unfortunately, I haven't made much progress lately, as I am struggling to make the transom line up with the hull properly. I'll post an update soon to show what I mean. It well could be that the problem lies with my limited skills ... or it could be, as I am currently suspecting, that the problem is with the kit itself.

O'course, it cannot be ruled out that stubbornness is a part of the problem, as I still intend to light up the Captain's quarters and go for an 1812-style of stern.

Thanks for dropping by everyone. I'll get back to building soon ...

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

• 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Arrrr ….

'Tis with a heavy heart that CaptainSteve wishes to announce that he has abandoned this project.

Our Hero explains … "Whilst I may one day purchase another USS Constitution kit to build, I am currently looking for another model."

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

I had been missing you and wondering. I'm sorry to hear that, but it takes courage and good sense sometimes to know when something isn't working. I look forward to hearing about your next project.

Well, that sucks. I was looking forward to more posts. I assume it was the transom that took its toll on you...plus the lights...plus the 1812 modifications...plus... plus... plus...

Sorry to see it end this way. I look forward to your next endeavor. 

Jon

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

I' sorry to hear your throwing in the towel on the Connie. At least you'll come away from it with more knowledge for the next project.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

11 hours ago, JSGerson said:

Well, that sucks. I was looking forward to more posts. I assume it was the transom that took its toll on you...plus the lights...plus the 1812 modifications...plus... plus... plus...

Sorry to see it end this way. I look forward to your next endeavor. 

Jon

That's exactly what the problem was, Jon. I think my plans were a few steps ahead of my capabilities. I did (eventually) get the windows done, but then decided that the counter block needed to be re-done.

I have been checking out available models for my next build. I started with two on the list, but after looking thru the build-logs, that has now ballooned to approximately 15 possibilities. More whittling down required.

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

CaptainSteve,

I'm sorry to hear that you won't be finishing your Constitution. Your build log was always a joy to visit, and hope you find a suitably fun project soon.

I'm still hammering away on my Connie, after 11 years. Slow progress, but steady.

Take care my friend,

Capnharv

Edited by capnharv2

Well Steve, whatever you decide to build I'll be looking forward to the log.

Edited by alde

Al

Current Builds:

Alde (and others). I'll add a link here just as soon as I'm ready to start a new build-log.

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Sorry to hear of decision to move on to a new build. I have enjoyed watching your progress and will surely follow your next build. I know how you feel, I too have had my hang ups with the Conny build. Life seems to throw many challenges at us all at one time. This summer has been really busy for me with all my other projects, I am looking to forward to winter when I can move inside and work on my Conny. Just remember all you learned building your Conny and apply it to which ship comes next. 

Geoff

NRG member #2666
Current build : USS Constitution

Finished builds: Armed Virginia Sloop (in gallery)

18 hours ago, CaptainSteve said:

Alde (and others). I'll add a link here just as soon as I'm ready to start a new build-log.

I'm looking forward to it Steve. You add a lot of value to the form with your skill and humor. And besides you've become what I consider to be a friend.

Al

Current Builds:

Awww ...

Thanks Geoff & Al

😎

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Steve,

I think you did the right thing.  Been there, done that as have others.   Now to sit back patiently and wait for you to figure out what's next.  B)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Captain Steve, l have enjoyed following  along your journey and unfortunately your being done in by a curvaceous rear end. Cocoon the project so that at some point in the future you can come back to it. Have a “Dark and Stormy” or two on me as you contemplate your next project. 

Ken

Current build: Maersk Detroit"
Future builds:  Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90
Completed builds: US Brig Niagara, Dirty Dozen, USS Constitution, 18th Century Armed Longboat
https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/11935-uss-constitution-by-xken-model-shipways-scale-1768/

• 1 month later...

Cpt Steve.  I'm  bummed youre scuttling your Connie.    Enjoyed your log todate.   Will be watching and pull up a chair for your next build log.   Curious to see what ship you choose next.

Kmart

Current Build:  USS Constitution ( Model Expo)
Past Builds:

HMS Victory Bow Section
   British Armed Launch
   Friesland (Dutch 74 - 1663)
   Roger B. Taney (US Revenue Cutter )

12 hours ago, kmart said:

Curious to see what ship you choose next.

Kmart

I be a-wishin' to say that a choice hath been made, and a kit hath been selected and purchased. Certain MSW members may be aware o' which kit that may be-eth, but those members be sworn to secrecy. Fer now at least, it shall remain unopened ... and unannounced.

Some time back, I didst purchase a Chuck kit (Syren's Queen Anne Barge) wi' the intention that my Father 'twouldst build-eth it. However, that kit be now back in my possession ... and currently occupies my build table where Connie didst recently lie.

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)