HMS Snake by jim_smits - Caldercraft - First Build

On 10/23/2018 at 11:01 PM, jim_smits said:

Well....

This post is over three years overdue! Two new jobs, one house purchase and move, wedding and an early first baby. Quiet really....

I am taking the late shift on feeds whilst my wife gets to bed early. So while baby Edward is napping I have two hours to kill each night.  

Really struggling with space to build Hood until my workshop gets done so time to unpack the Snake build and get it finished off finally. 

Tonight is is going to be spent re-sorting all my bits and pieces and trying to find all the wood, dowels, styrene strips and tools that have been packed up. Small shopping list needed also!

Kitchen table is dual role!

6B8606CC-7ABF-4A53-A127-A83CAADCA35C.thumb.jpeg.4aa82bcd3d15a78ea0ac49f0ada1038f.jpeg

Wishing you the best Jim, all the best!

he's beautiful.

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Good progress and happy to say I haven’t totally forgotten everything!

I had already created the foremast yard. I just needed to get the metalwork primed and then paint the main coats of black. 

Spent the next next few nights rigging up the blocks to the yard. 

D58E21A3-FAEE-4E44-B335-1DB265051CF2.thumb.jpeg.75a3c9490cac3ba1cce68e57a7e65600.jpeg

Next used length of 0.5mm brass rod to fashion four foot rope stirrups. 

8B76D9EC-DC5D-4610-BB9E-75024D09F6D7.thumb.jpeg.d6ddc8c479b574bc1def4b3e3688d2b6.jpeg

Finally to create the impression of the stirrups being tie to the yard I tied a loop of thread with a half hitch around the brass rod. Just been soaked with watered down PVA and waiting to be trimmed once dry. 

0CBA0D67-B482-4B08-BB94-7F7E10EC42BC.thumb.jpeg.9566f56f023317b6a5b4817159942104.jpeg

Edited by jim_smits

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

1 hour ago, cog said:

Very nicely done Jim. especially like the black colour. What is a brass road ........

A brass road is less rich than the gold road but still very profitable.....

Ahem cough! Spelling updated.......

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Hi all,

Still bashing away at the foremast yard rigging and associated mast rigging. Some of my earlier comments from the build log regarding reading all elements of instructions for the yard and mast before assembly are flooding back. 

Trying to rig up the slings and some of the extra blocks onto the mast whilst all the standing rigging is in place is really delicate and fiddly work. 

All the blocks are are now in place on the yard and I have just finished the foot ropes. Just need to add the trusses and the running rigging the is secured to the yard and I can think about pinning it to the mast. 

I’ll follow with pictures later today and hoping to get a bit more done as I have the week off. I’ll see if the new cabin boy can help out!

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Slight stall as I just don’t have enough rigging thread to complete. 

Quick order to CMB and I should be on my way again in a couple of days. 

The yard is pinned onto the mast and the slings and truss rigging are in place to keep the yard in place. 

Edited by jim_smits

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

On 11/12/2018 at 9:57 AM, jim_smits said:

I’ll follow with pictures later today

On 11/14/2018 at 9:05 AM, jim_smits said:

Slight stall as I just don’t have enough rigging thread to complete.

What has the second to do with the pictures in the first :huh: I want your photographs :angry:                       ;) Where's CMB located? website? I do order from the UK, although that might be less frequent in future ... <sigh>

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Sorry, I’ve been a bit lax on pictures as we’ve a couple of busy days. Promise I shall sort some out tomorrow afternoon. 

CMB is Cornwall Model Boats. Great website with a huge range of stock. I believe they ship worldwide and their turnaround and customer service is excellent. 

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Here you go master cog! 😉

Foreyard is attached and the main slings and trusses are in place as previously mentioned. 

The positioning of the yard will be tweaked when the braces etc are rigged in. 

Next steps now are to make the top and topgallant yards. 8A34E469-FE63-4073-AB3F-386C57080D77.thumb.jpeg.a8541d2497e75f9529ee730ab741144c.jpeg

B919E32F-9E63-456B-A073-69ECD693241F.thumb.jpeg.6603120e35a87b48bb57e4f4c49f47fc.jpeg

Edited by jim_smits

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

I agree  with carl,   just sublime work  to do standing rigging like this  - lovely job.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

A bit of progress made today. Putting together the last two yards and starting to get them rigged up. 

Top yard and topgallant yard yard are now shaped and with the ironwork added. As with the previous yards I used styrene strips and tubing to simulate the various pieces of iron work. I did still use the metal cast pieces for the stuns’l boom irons as there was a little extra detail. 

Everything painted in a coat of metal primer and then two coats of dull black. 

And now just working through all the various blocks to be rigged. 

08D9DEFA-E2EF-43F5-BA99-2DDEC6A9A4C0.thumb.jpeg.a7cec2321699f82e3c2141c18d60922c.jpeg

Edited by jim_smits

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the likes all. 

Quick update! The foremast top yard is now complete and attached with a pin and the parrals. Remembered how much I hated doing the parrals on the main mast as it very fiddly and restricted. 

Top gallant is now next target to be rigged up ready for permamnt attachment to the mast. 

4E07D445-E89F-47BD-AACE-5C7A79FE9405.thumb.jpeg.da1cc3c03d93962a84bb6ba046e3a0b4.jpegA840CFC7-2FC5-4466-998E-048A6A0EC8B6.thumb.jpeg.810158444acc81044e5cabbaff49aa69.jpeg7B5E8C4B-7586-4C61-8CFE-BD75CDAB1B2C.thumb.jpeg.fb54875d210cffa2cd5a2e5b645d82aa.jpeg

Edited by jim_smits

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Hi Jim, want to ask you, do you feel more secure with the yards placement as a final stage of the assembly?

Nowdays I'm ending the standing rigging and having in front of me the bowsprit,  running rigging and the yards, looking to proceed with the best next section.

Any recommendation?

All the best. 

10 hours ago, drtrap said:

Hi Jim, want to ask you, do you feel more secure with the yards placement as a final stage of the assembly?

Nowdays I'm ending the standing rigging and having in front of me the bowsprit,  running rigging and the yards, looking to proceed with the best next section.

Any recommendation?

All the best. 

Hi!

Yes, personally I think best plan is to assemble all the yards separately and then start adding them to the masts. 

I would triple check all the plans (incl running rigging) for all block locations as I have been caught out and adding blocks while dodging rigging was painful. 

Also, if I started from scratch I would start from the bow and work towards the back. 

Take your time, study the plans carefully and really visualise in your head the steps needed. Break it down into mini projects and set yourself targets. Otherwise the rigging will see like a mountain to climb. 

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

21 hours ago, jim_smits said:

Hi!

Yes, personally I think best plan is to assemble all the yards separately and then start adding them to the masts. 

I would triple check all the plans (incl running rigging) for all block locations as I have been caught out and adding blocks while dodging rigging was painful. 

Also, if I started from scratch I would start from the bow and work towards the back. 

Take your time, study the plans carefully and really visualise in your head the steps needed. Break it down into mini projects and set yourself targets. Otherwise the rigging will see like a mountain to climb. 

Thank you Jim.

All the yards are ready to go so many days before...

Im thinking to proceed with the standing rigging now.

Bowsprit placement next "project" and finally the fixation of the yards to the masts.

Best regards. :) 

Edited by drtrap

• 2 months later...

Hi Jim

I'm facing a problem regarding gaff boom rigging (especially topping lift and its attachments).

When you'll find your time please take a look at my build pages..

Did you place eyelets on the deck around the mizzen mast to fix the tackle of the boom topping lift or did you go as Petersson p.26 plan to the mizzen channels?
Thank you.