Tulpijn by Farbror Fartyg - Fantasy Dutchman inspired by large 17th century ships

The promised (and, obviously, longed for) rain didn't fall but parts have been fitted nevertheless. 

The beakhead is going places. Witsen is probably doing backflips in his grave, but ... hey, it's summer.

Cheers 

Sam

20170626_234056.jpg

"If you scratch my back, I'll scratch build yours."

It's been a while since I've been in to see this model.  Absolutely incredible work.    

We're currently experiencing an almost riotous bout of shed constructing over here, but I've managed to sneak in a bit of work on Tulpijn too.

New windows, made from a plastic medicine blister pack ( ... just hay fever, before anyone puts on the worrying-pants).

The plastic had a nice crisscross pattern, so I just removed the foil from and cut to size.

2017window_aft5.jpg.8523a5a579c897a37627d90577349bb7.jpg

2017window_aft1.jpg.0595ca814fc31e996386ea17badd5ec3.jpg

2017window_aft2.jpg.049d16dba9a75c6c1adc16b7de4d0e9e.jpg

2017window_aft4.jpg.c226b49e2ce048a8a8094d88388ca4a7.jpg

The work on the beakhead is also progressing:

2017beakhead1.jpg.71c8ee0d9845567deebe9061279c80eb.jpg

If the shed doesn't claim my life, I'll be back with more rustic folk art in a bit.

Ta-ta

Sam

I guess old age and glasses of red beyond count are finally taking their toll. I forgot to bring my scalpels. 

But never fear! I brought the blades. Mother nature provides.

20170630_183730.thumb.jpg.01b6b63dc4a4a6bf15ef8de2f017d7ff.jpg

Two small flowers. More to follow.

20170630_203223.thumb.jpg.394e8f14e09190c0001bf3596925cbfe.jpg

:omg:  to think I would have missed you!   I look at so many projects that I can literally get stuck on the kit forum page!  the beauty of all this though,  is that I get an overload of progress!  you have done much!   she is looking absolutely fantastic ;)    the transom looks so sweet........and the bow is crossing the boundaries of fantasy........it looks so good :)   the transom windows  testaments your resourcefulness.....the carvings......no word can describe.   I'm in awe at how this little model has evolved.  so happy to see your workmanship again :) 

.....you'll have to show us a snap of the shed ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

12 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

I'm in awe at how this little model has evolved.  so happy to see your workmanship again :) 

.....you'll have to show us a snap of the shed ;) 

Thank you!

I thought you might drop by sooner or later! 

Perfect timing too.

The pressure's been dropping a bit in the boiler recently, I have to admit, but your post brought the steam right up! 

More carvings under the knife.

Many many thanks to those who drop by and like/comment! Seriously appreciated! 

Sam

oh.....well then,  let me put more wood on the fire ;)    errrrr,  that's not your building wood is it?  :o......it's not...OK,  I'm happy again :)     I have come to cherish this little diamond in the rough.  the effort you've put into her,  and the materials you use makes it extra special.  it's sad to hear that some folks don't have the luxury of a craft or hobby shop near them.   I have made a friend in Pakistan,  who read my blog on the Mary Ann,  and decided he's make his own,  using my blog as a guide.  to date,  he has done a super job of it :)   it's an example ;) 

your carvings are superb........you have me to the quick.   I can't wait to see what you do next ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Sam

Your carving skills have transformed this small ship into a masterpiece. I am new and have just discovered this build but, I will be certain to follow it as long as you are willing to share the results of your formidable skills!

Makes my poor attempt at the Constructo kit look pathetic!

Lou

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

• 1 month later...
On 27/08/2017 at 9:43 AM, Omega1234 said:

Happy Birthday Farbror!!!!  It's not every day you turn 25.... Enjoy.

Cheers

Patrick

Thank you, thank you! Yeah ... I'll enjoy being twenty-something again ...

To be honest though, well, if statistics are to be believed, I'll most likely find myself hankering for a bike and some botox.
NO ladies of half my age will be safe.

Anyhooo

My sweet, sweet gents (haven't seen any ladies in this thread yet)! You know what I forgot to do? I forgot to post the bye-bye pics I took before leaving paradise. 

The chock of the head on collision with city life left my senseless and distraught ...

Rectifying in 3, 2, 1:

2017_sideview1.jpg.f0623b76f481024ae8cfd0dccad82260.jpg

2017_bowview1.jpg.7967ae61ee9d95aacf44de87efc5cd29.jpg

Thank you all for showing an interest in this little project!

Cheers

Sam

Is that a koala bear on the bow?  My eyes are not that good since I dropped my glasses on the patio, a bad case of road rash.  Excellent work.

Edited by Walter Biles

so sorry to have missed you again!   ....and I missed your birthday as well......happy belated birthday to you.   so cool that we have the same birth month...my birthday is today :)   you've made some stunning progress on the Tulpijn....can't wait to see more.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 9 months later...

Sweden has effectively been booted out of the world cup, but hey, the sun's still shining and coffee still tastes like smoke. Chin up.

Sitting here leafing through R.C. Anderson's The Rigging of Ships ... - we're getting closer ...

I've been here for two days now and I've managed to get quite alot done in that time.
1. The rudder has been attached:

2018rudder_edit.thumb.jpg.6dda2f76acfac92f2a082460a8ffb491.jpg

2. The starboard quarter gallery and gun ports are finished.

3. I've begun working on a hatch cover for the main hatch. (I might re-do the gratings - never was very pleased with how they turned out.)

4. I've started working on the masts - diameter, taper, lenght. Not done yet, and no - the fore mast isn't going to be that high.

2018fullview_edit.jpg.ed97d2d4b4d2457510103c141e7060f7.jpg

5. You know how "them old shipwrights" used to look for tree branches the right shape for making knees and whatnot? I kinda did the same thing, but on a
smaller scale:

2018planningdecorativeknees_edit.thumb.jpg.19ac66a2118488c9c89de4be894d2ed3.jpg

2018decorativekneestick_edit.thumb.jpg.d95d2148c2f41197e4d3af0e35509f78.jpg

2018decorativebeakheadknee_edit.thumb.jpg.92cf1196904968356ff1b8a00b78f7bc.jpg

Man, it's good to be back.

Now that the rudder's on, all we need before we can start painting the lower part of the hull are holes for the gammoning.

Talk to ya soon!

Sam

so good to see more progress being done on your little ship :)   she's look'in better than ever.    nice addition to the bow  ;) 

glad to see your back!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Sam Welcome back.

Looking forward to seeing your progress again this summer.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Well done.

And Sweden is apparently not yet booted out of the world cup 

World cup finale :   Belgium - Sweden ??   :D

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

It feels like this build has entered a new phase.
The oh-so-familiar little sticks and fiddly bits on the table are now in the company of paints, filler and string. 

When Tulpijn was turned upside down for water line marking, I noticed a rather unsightly gap between the keel and the hull, so out came the wood filler.
I've also used filler on some uneven bits on the rest of the hull. With paint on you'll hardly notice it.

2018fillerandglue.thumb.jpg.2e00317f57bb177f11d6d570b325ad0c.jpg

Paint:
I'm building up the colour with very thin washes of Humbrol enamels. When everything looks right, I'll varnish.

The look I'm going for is something like this but with darker hull colour.
(The model, "Amaranth", in the Museum of Nautical History in Stockholm, is quite possibly my favourite man-made object ever ... man, she's beautiful...)

Two coats on so far.

2018coat1.jpg.c48bd4994b48219a47577f197d208b04.jpg

2018tapeandpaint.jpg.6bf48dd5de3635dd8f88ee7420ee0149.jpg

2018coat2.jpg.3380af045d930ec8bd2f0cd323dc8ee6.jpg

The under water hull will get white-stuffed.

And, no, Sweden's definitely still in the World Cup! 
Cheerio

Sam

Edited by Farbror Fartyg

oh...oh.......I think you knocked one of your posts loose :o   the other bow decoration.....carving madness continues  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

35 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

oh...oh.......I think you knocked one of your posts loose :o   the other bow decoration.....carving madness continues  ;) 

I did that on purpose, totally.  To express the ... state of the world...

No seriously, good eye there, sir.

Tulpijn  is sat on a chest of drawers, in an empty house, in temperatures that can vary between - 20°c  and +25°c, for most of the year. If the glue on a bit here and there looses adherence, I'm not surprised. 

Rectified! 

/Sam 

state of the world......hear ya.  no soapbox....against the rules ;) 

I'm known for pick'in up little things like that.......I usually find them after the camera does myself.   lordy..........if that's the case,  I'd better be look'in at me finished ones........ ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

A few more small steps towards the grand goal, off somewhere in a hazy, formless, unforeseeable future.

I've redone the flag pole. It hasn't been glued on yet - too easy to accidentally knock it loose. 

2018flagpole.thumb.jpg.720ee7d2bc4b7c1549ddff821ccd5aea.jpg
When finished, the bottom of the pole will pass into a hole in the "bench-like structure" on which it sits. 

The catheads are glued on - it was easier now that the decorative knees (for want of better terminology) that go under them are on.

2018catheadsdecoknees.thumb.jpg.de504eced8206aa46ce071fe4cef0f81.jpg

I've also carved a little flowery, garlandy thingy to go below the windows on the transom.

2018transomlowergarland.thumb.jpg.80a80b6a90156f26dc946dc71e5ba6ce.jpg

The port side "brown bit" and wales have been painted.

2018portsidepaintwales.jpg.cf3a220379f27b1581e45b9a078d4349.jpg

Cheers!

Sam

Love the fun you're having, but the grape vine leaves on the stern look more like pot plant leaves! I'm sure that was entirely unintentional....

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

1 hour ago, druxey said:

Love the fun you're having, but the grape vine leaves on the stern look more like pot plant leaves! I'm sure that was entirely unintentional....

Depends on how much vine-juice one's had, I suppose. Or, Dionysus forbids, how many "potted" plants one's eaten.

*EDIT*

Oh, oh! I get it!

Druxey, you mean the lupin plant in the middle don't you! 

Look at the following image:

2018transomlowergarland_expl.thumb.jpg.44774cdb9bcb24c096f60e9ab2b71843.jpg

Yeah, lupin leaves do look like pot.

Edited by Farbror Fartyg

Yes, the 'lupins', Fabror. And, now we come to mention it, the grapes (that's why I thought they were vine leaves) appear to be anti-gravity and growing upwards. Must have been the influence of the pot.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv