I would really considder the RaspberryPi  effectively you have a full pc for 25 dollars.:

351321-raspberry-pi.jpg?thumb=y

that row of pins are the GeneralPurposeInputOutput (GPIO) ports. Via those you can stear led motors relais.... tons of python libraries to program in. Especially if you're doing a modern war schip the posibilities are endless. step engines on the main turrets, on the radar. all kind of light patterns. And the best add a wifi dongle and write a little app and you can stear it all from a webbrouwser

Finished models: Botter, President

Current:

Prins Willem by the book of Ketting,

HMS Beagle - OcCre

restauration of a Statenjacht

• 1 year later...

I know that this is a relatively old posting, but why not locate the LED or multiple LEDs deep in the hold and let them run fairly bright? Connect fiber optic cables as needed, routed to the locations where they are needed. That way you are able to simplify the amperage draw by using fewer LEDs and still get light where you want it.

Lou    

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I centainly agree It would have been a better solution for various parts. However the hanging lantern and the candle I could not have made with fiber optics. The optics cables only have a limited bending angle.

Michiel

Current:

HMS Beagle - OcCre

• 4 weeks later...

I ran 15 LEDs in my Caldercraft Victory.

I ran the two supply wires out though the mounting base to a transformer and added a remote control.

I buried a card with resistors in the hold and ran them as three parallel lines of 5 LEDs

Rather than Gunports I took a different approach.

At the foot of stairways, below skylight, behind cabin windows and in the three stern lamps.

Nick

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Pompey--

Do you have a photo of how you rigged the transformer into the base?  I'm trying to do something similar but want to hide the batteries in the base but will need to access them.  Also wondering on different ways to set up the on/off switch.  Just looking for ideas.  Thanks.

Tom

Current: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas

Previous builds:  AL Swift, AL King of the Mississippi, Mamoli Roter Lowe, Amati Chinese Junk, Caesar, Mamoli USS Constitution, Mantua HMS Victory, Panart San Felipe, Mantua Sergal Soleil Royal

Hi tom

My transformer was not in the base of the model but external, it was a plug in type so went into a wall socket via a remote control switching plug.

The two (now quite thin) wires run under the base then up through the base adjacent the support cradle.

I'm afraid the model is now in a cabinet so pictures not possible.

In my current model I am using posts to support the hull which have a central mole to run the cables.

Nick

• 10 months later...

Michiel.

Hello - I plan to add lights to my current build (first time for this). Saw the great work that you have done in this old posting.

I now need to look for the light covers like the ones from your post. If you read this would you remember where you got these?

I have looked online but can't seem to find anything at all. 

Thanks in advance.

konstapelkamer3.JPG.7c4c32bfef24ea3cfd6e73ca9f81c877.JPGlantaren-type2-on.JPG.a245eaa9963c8e010b467d6a70f56123.JPG

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

the first page has the link to led.de where I got mine. I can't find the super small ones there any more. If you want to go < 3mm best use ones that come with wires attached for instance

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/C0603R-20pcs-Pre-soldered-micro-0-1mm-Copper-Wired-RED-SMD-Led-0603-NEW/32386778032.html

http://www.digitrains.co.uk/ecommerce/electronics/leds/nanolight-micro-led-bicolour-red---white---6-pack.aspx

http://www.expressmodels.co.uk/acatalog/WHITE_LEDs.html

etc...

edit:

sorry I only read half. you will not find the covers online... ;-) let me look up the link

Edited by Michiel

Current:

HMS Beagle - OcCre

Thank you Michiel,

I was not clear - I have a sources for the lights. You last link also look perfect.

I was asking about the covers around the lights (;-) that you used. Those are so perfect.

Regards,

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Michiel,

Brilliant work indeed. Hmmm my skills are not there. Thanks for your kind responses.

Cheers,

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

I fear I don't have any how to pictures ... but I guess you get the picture.

Start with a piece of stock that is the size you need file the top shape and narrowing in the middel between the top and bottom plate.

then very small drills very small files etc...

tools.jpg

DSCF1998.jpg

Current:

HMS Beagle - OcCre

:imNotWorthy:  I may just play round and try 

Again Thanks indeed.

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Michael,

ME used to sell lantern housings made of solid brass.   You might also check Age of Sail.   I know I've seen some somewhere but not sure where.    Oh.. try Cornwall Models...  and also Shapeways.  They might have something in 3d printed.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Have a look here for you own 3d printing:

https://i.materialise.com/en

they print over 20 materials and have a list of not to complicated free programs to make you own designs. You can just upload you file. They print and send it to you. I printed my gun barrels there including the VOC logo and dolphins. I made the design of the barrel myself. A lighting cover should not be too difficult.

I guess some may think 3d printing is not ship modeling but, when you are building a kit and replacing some part by improved prints that are at the moment still just beyond your skill level I don't see a problem. For me I could turn one of those barrels but by number 4 I get bored with the repetitive job. All the other carving I do by hand though..

Hope it helps,

Michiel

24ponder-print-6.JPG

Current:

HMS Beagle - OcCre

Mark: Thanks I have indeed tried looking through all of those vender's sites. No luck beyond stern lamps

Michiel: Thanks as well. Yes indeed 3D printing will become a very big part of ship modeling. The improvements are spectacular.

I have seen stern ship sections that were rendered using 3D printing. Regarding my small needs, apart from creating a 3d file that is

beyond my skills, I will try to fashion these lanterns as you did. I already have some ideas in mind. Waiting for the lights to arrive first.

Thanks mates for your advice....

Regards,

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -