USS Constitution - Revell 1/96.

stevern

Hello Everyone!

My name is Steve, I'm new to this forum but everyone seems very nice! I have been reading for a few hours on this site, and the information here is invaluable. I was at a fellow modelers home this morning who has since passed and his best friend and his wife are trying to get rid of anything.  The club I belong to deals mostly in R/C airplanes and boats. I was looking through some of his stuff and came across this 1/96 plastic constitution, asked if they were interested in selling it and they said yes. I have only built a few plastic models and had no idea what this was even about. I wound up getting the kit for 20 dollars, come to find out thats a pretty good deal. At any rate I would like to try and do a good job with respect for the guy who was supposed to build it, as corny as that may sound haha. I don't want to go into the extreme detail that some of the folks on here do, but I want to pay close attention to detail for the most part. I was just looking for some advice on definite do's and definite don't's from the experience on here. Also if there are any must read threads or articles people can suggest. I have a couple projects ahead of this one, finishing up a 1948 lincoln continental, then I have a revell p-47 to do, and a plastic chevy van (*there is a story behind that one*),  but this would certainly be the biggest plastic model I have ever done.  I was thinking I could do some of the prep work while I'm finishing these smaller projects,.  Any advice greatly appreciated.

Hello and welcome Steve. :D

What good fortune to score a big scale Constitution for only $20!  

Your best bet is to use the search function in the upper right of the screen to search for Revell Constitution.  There are many of us building this beautiful old kit to different levels and all are sharing ideas and experiences.  Everyone is super helpful and it matters very little what skill level you are at.  I've learned so much about ship building ( I'm primarily a large scale aircraft modeller) from the kind and learned folks of this forum.  So jump in and start reading!  I would urge you to read as many posts of all kinds, both WIP and the separate how to sections as you can.  There is always something interesting and helpful in all the posts on this site.  If you can start your own WIP post and add to the fun.  You'll get great feedback and advise if you get stuck, besides you add to the grand sum of the fun.

Great to see you start posting and I'll be sure to look out for your WIP :D

Dan 

1:96th. Get a good amount of detail in that scale for sure. Not really much of a plastic modeler, more into the wooden shipbuilding. But I have built a 1:96 scale Enterprise aircraft carrier and a 1:200 scale Bismark, (both plastic) which I enjoyed. Sorry I never took any photos. Both the ships are in New Zealand at my parents place. Anyway back to your subject, I know one thing about building from plastic that I found handy, and you probaly already know this but paint each part still in the spurs. It makes it easier than trying to paint when it's all asembled. Air brush or spray cans are best for painting plastic kits. Brushed on paint tends to build up and hide some of the details imprinted on plastic parts. Probaly the best advice you will get is DON'T RUSH! Be patient. It defiantly pays off. All the best, hope I have been helpful and most important ENJOY! :):)

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

I completed this model a few months ago.  Check my signature for the link to my build log - it covers the construction from start to finish.

I followed the Revell instructions pretty closely and didn't do much customization or bashing.  The best alteration I did was to make my eyebolts from metal instead of the supplied plastic - really helped with the rigging as the metal ones were not going to fail.  

If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Andy.

wow great hint on the decking I might just have to check that out. I do think I would probably not fair well with getting rid of any seems. Andy I have been reading your ship building forum, very informative most definitely. you for sure do A grade work! 

dcooper nice to see a fellow airplane modeler on board! what kind of airplanes do you fly?