HMS Agamemnon by mobbsie - FINISHED - Caldercraft / Jotika - 1/64

• 2 weeks later...

Morning Guys,

An update on progress so far, all four remaining yards are now complete and waiting to be fitted to the foremast and bowsprit, that will started this afternoon.

I have a series of pics showing various stages and the finished yards, I just hope I don't bore you guys with them, all you guys can run rings around me so I'm not trying to teach anybody to suck eggs.

These yards have been turned on my lathe but there is still work to be done trimming up.

post-493-0-54506100-1410344416_thumb.jpg 

The Octagonal is being worked on using a fine tooth file.

post-493-0-94163500-1410344475_thumb.jpg

Completed Octagon

post-493-0-49123700-1410344516_thumb.jpg 

Starting to dress the yard, here I'm using black paper to form some strapping

post-493-0-60771100-1410344551_thumb.jpg

Stirrups and cleats fitted

post-493-0-06443600-1410344635_thumb.jpg 

Stunsail brackets and more cleats fitted prior to painting 

post-493-0-41682300-1410344662_thumb.jpg

Painted and waiting for the blocks, also the main sling is also ready.

post-493-0-55762500-1410344717_thumb.jpg 

Guess who made these blocks

post-493-0-77269400-1410344749_thumb.jpg

I use my hands free to hold the yards, but the jaws are too strong so I clamp using the top of the clamp

post-493-0-16329200-1410344778_thumb.jpg 

The finished yards with all the blocks attached

post-493-0-35312600-1410344818_thumb.jpg

Once these yards are attached the end is in sight, so its a matter of weeks all of a sudden, a display case still needs to be made and I want to pay some attention to a different stand, not yet designed but I have a few ideas.

That's it guys. Any and all remarks and comments are more than welcome.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Regularly browsed through your fine log mobbsie but never offered my congratulations on a such superb build. As it's almost finished it's a bit late but well done.

Those finely made yards show how crisp it all is. Nice one.

I look forward to seeing how you'll display her.

I think we all know just how much work is represented in this update.  A very, very fine job, SIR.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

More excellent work Mobbsie - and nothing boring about it my friend! Fabulous looking yards, and I love those blocks ;)

I just worked out that it was exactly one year ago last weekend that we had a wonderful weekend together visiting Chatham and Portsmouth, and of course Chateau Mobbsie. Still the highlight of the whole holiday for me. :)

wonderful job on the yards and rigging Mobbsie.........finished my catch up on your build,  and I'm quite amazed with the work you've done!   of all the different methods out there for doing yards and rigging..........I'm happy to see you've chosen ALL the right ones!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

wonderful Mobbsie

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Mobbsie - great stuff.  Please never feel like you are boring people withe the techniques - I find that just as, if not more, important than just marveling at the end result!

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Real nice work Tony....... wish my work was as neat as yours..... must be an English thing..... right?  :D

frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Nice work on the yards Mobbsie. ...and people complain about yard work ;)

In the pictures you make it look like a few hours work, but I know that's not true.

Also I would disagree that you have nothing to teach. I have yet to rig a fore and aft rig let alone a square rigged tall ship. I appreciate you showing the details and others photos of your superb work and methods. MSW build logs are from where I borrow all my ideas. I, like yourself, believe that the eye is one of the most useful gauges we have and you have a highly calibrated eye.

Congrats on making the last corner in the marathon we have come to know as the Aggyathon :). You may have broken a record for speed and artistry.

Also nice blocks, but they appear to have a strange coriolis effect, as if they were made in the southern hemisphere or something :huh:  :D.

Beautiful as always.

Morning Gents,

I'm having a nightmare of a time rigging the Fore Yard Trusses so I'm taking some time out, thought I'd use the time to write this reply.

Timmo :- Thank you for your very kind comment and your always welcome, it's never to late. :)

Augie :-  Fortunately I have time on my side so that's not an issue, my main issues are remembering each process as they come up, I have to sit back and try to remember how I did something before, with not having my previous builds on hand to jog my memory that can take a fair bit of time. This is down to an age thing and is a bl--dy nuisance. Still as long as it all comes together in the end it doesn't matter. :angry:  :(  ^_^  :)

Frank :-  I love your work bud, you have a vision and skill that's above excellent.  I cant work in a muddle mate, I almost have a phobia about keeping my work space clean, that's been throughout my working life, if that's an English thing well so be it, it can be a pain in the backside at times because I can spend as much time cleaning up as I can building, now dusting and cleaning down the workroom is another thing, I hate doing that so tend to leave it.

Grant  :-  Time flies my friend, Chris and I did enjoy your visit and we still chat about it. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and our company. I just hope I'm doing those blocks justice mate, to me their special.

Nils  :-  Thanks mate.

Wayne  :-  You flatter me mate, I love it, keep it up. :D  :D

Jason  :-  I do agree with you, the journey is as important as the end result, my problem is putting things down in a way people can understand. ;)

Popeye  :-  Getting it right is more luck than judgement mate, the old memory aint quite what it used to be :(

Keith  :-  Aggyathon, never come across that before but your right, it's been 20 months so far and still counting, for me that's a long time. :)  Yard work can be repetitive but all builds have something the builder doesn't enjoy. I personally  enjoy doing the yards. They can be time consuming and the symmetry is important, the old eyes arnt so good and I'm beginning to lose depth perception, I keep wafting the tweezers around trying to pick up black threads :angry: , I also have a cataract forming on my left eye but that' doesn't have any adverse effect yet, I'm slowly falling apart. :D  :D  :D

The blocks do indeed come from the southern hemisphere, Grant kindly made a full set for the Aggy for me and Sjors, look good don't they. :)

Sjors  :-  If you read this well done on reaching Adrian, a lot of guys were getting worried. :)

Thanks again gents for your very kind comments and remarks and also for all the likes, they are really appreciated.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

HI Mobbsie, just checking back in after my long break.  Your Aggy looks great as always!  I can only hope to get my rigging looking as good as yours - whenever I get there.

Add me to the list that is very interested in the CC Surprise kit, although I certainly don't need it.  I almost bought the A.L. Surprise, or the Victory Vanguard, or the Aggy the other day for my birthday.  Luckily common sense prevailed and I didn't.

Great work mate!

Wes Cook

Current Build: USF Constitution (Model Shipways)

USF Essex (Scratch build)

MS Syren (build log lost, need to rebuild)

Future Builds: MS Confederacy

Thanks for the good word Wes.

I wouldn't hold my breath on the CC Surprise front, I have been in touch with Caldercraft must be 3 years now, making enquiries about her, to be honest I'm fed up with waiting. Another reason for waiting is that when she first comes out there are going to be all kinds of glitches and problems, I'm going to wait awhile after she's out.

Don't rush your Connie mate, she's worth taking the time over and to continue doing her the justice she deserves.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Mobbsie,

I have read it  :D  :D  :D  :D

Nice rigging.....I'll bring mine to you when I'am that far  :D  :D

I have a lot to learn from you !

Sjors

Hi Guys

John,  Your a busy person mate, my little bit of progress is easily missed, thanks for the good word mate, appreciated.

Sjors,  Thank you, your doing alright mate, you have nothing to learn from me.

Wombat,  Welcome to MSW mate and thanks for looking in on my log, I'm a little beyond the centre plank stage now but if you don't mind I'll save that remark for my next build.

Now I have a question to ask you guys,

I received the glass for my display case this morning and it is big, 4'6'' x 3'4'' x 1'10'', my question is :- Has anyone ever tried Nano 470 IC80 Construction Adhesive, I believe its an American product but it can be purchased in the UK, I have seen the company video on it's use and it looks impressive but at £23.00 for 50 grams I want to make sure. Its a light activated bonding agent used for bonding glass to glass.

Your thoughts and knowledge will be most welcome.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

I am catching up with all the builds and they are all looking so fantastic :)

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Hi Mobbsie,
I justed for my Glas display case a silicon used in the marine industry
That stuff is really strong mutch better than the regular silicon kit.

The  brandname of the kit is "Boatlife"

here is a link to there webside :

http://www.boatlife.com/silicone-rubber-sealant-cartridges/

You will Need to work very precise because after curing it's  pretty difficult to remove the spilled dry silicon.

Edited by boris279

Tony...... that is going to be one BIG case!!!

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

hello mobbsie  great work u have done so far the rigging looking great keep the pic coming

Hi Guys,

Boris279 :-   Thanks for looking in mate and the link, the size of this case dictates a stronger bonding agent and I don't think I would get that from Silicon if you can imagine a case 4ft 6in x 3ft 4in x 1ft 10in of 4mm toughened glass, I will not be putting a wooden frame around so I think you will understand my reluctance to use Silicon. Thanks again for the suggestion, it really is appreciated mate. Thanks for the good words.

Cog :-   I think I may have led you up the garden path a little, I actually use diamond files on the spars followed up with a P400 wet and dry paper. With all my previous efforts being major failures I find that what I use now is a winning combination. I have used two different methods on this build, the first being to use planks for the angles and work on those, this system for me still comes out chunky so I shant be using that system anymore. Sorry for the confusion mate.

Adrieke :- Great to hear from you mate, you have been missed by a lot of guys and it's great to have you back. Are you back in the shipyard yet, if you are then it's time we got an update mate, no pressure though. Your absolutely right, the lads really are pulling out the stops and producing some really great stuff, the bar is being raised constantly and it's great though a little daunting.

Frank :-  Yep it really is one big case, I haven't weighed any of it yet but when it's all together I think it going to be around 20 - 25 kilo's. Thanks for the good words my friend.

Dragzz:-  I'll do my best mate, thanks for the good words, very much appreciated.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Hi Mobbsie,

I think you underestimate how strong silicon really is, I build my glass case 1.4m x 0.8m x 0.4m of 4mm double layer glass, all bonded with the silicon I mention before, and also I build 2 other glass display cases for my ships all bonded with silicon, all those cases are full glass with no frame or what so ever.

And I build a fish tank for my daughter 1m x 0.6m x 0.3m of 7mm glass with no support  and that thing till now never leaked one drip of water all bonded with marine silicon.

It is not that i have any interest in the silicon industry what so ever, but i come from a 3th generation stonemason family company in the Netherlands , and in that industry we use it a lot, and therefore I know that that stuff is really strong, if you use it in the right way !!

just my 2 cents

Boris279

Edited by boris279

Hi Boris279,

Thanks for the information mate but my own experience of Silicon is purely domestic i.e. around the house, bathroom mainly and some in the kitchen, that needs replacing after a relatively short time, so I don't really have much confidence with the Silicon. I know there are different grades of the stuff and a multitude of uses but I think most people will go by their experiences with a certain product no matter what that product is.

It's not that I don't want to try anything new, I have to in this case, it's just that the glass is so expensive that I don't want to try something I'm not entirely convinced with.

I think I will be going down the road of this Nano470. I have no experience of it so therefore I have to believe in it, this to my mind has to be better than going with a product I have some issues with. I hope to god I'm not wrong.

Thanks again mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

I really tried but the chemist in me just can't help itself

Silicon is an element, classified as a semi-metal. It is a hard brittle substance that will stick to nothing as an adhesive.
As its in the carbon family it forms tetrahedral bonding which makes for some really strong compounds, just like carbon. Think carbon fiber or diamond, which chemically are the same as charcoal. Or every organic compound on the earth.

Silicon as a chunk

most adhesives called silicone are really only mixtures of Silica compounds, such as Ethyltriacetoxysilane which actually has WAY more carbon, oxygen and hydrogen then Si, its that single atom in the middle

It is kind of like calling sodium, Salt. Salt is an ioninc solid and sodium cyanide is a salt, but don't salt your popcorn with it. :(

Also Sodium Na (natrium in Latin) is a soft silver metal that you could smash with your fingers. It also reacts with water explosively, which the salt sodium chloride doesn't.

Sorry, I could help myself :huh:

Sorry I just can't help myself.

Just to further elaborate, hope my chem lesson isn't offensive.

CA or cyanoacrylate is a carbon, oxygen, hydrogen and nitrogen compound (BTW the amino acids in your muscle protein contain the same four elements). Its the structure and bonding that makes it bond so strongly. Which is a simple carbon/carbon single bond, yet called SUPER glue.

CA's polymerization reaction (BTW that center C triple bonded to that Nitrogen if by itself is cyanide, but yet bound in the compound CA its not deadly like in 007 movies :))

PVA or polyvinyl acetate is C, H, and O minus the Nitrogen

Its the polymerization or chain forming ability of these compound that give strength in bonding.

As for the Nitrogen making the difference in PVA vs CA strength.... the atmosphere is approximately 70% nitrogen and breathing doesn't seal our lungs shut. :huh:  :P   :D  :rolleyes:

Ok, I think I'm done, sorry for the chemical babble. :dancetl6:

Edited by themadchemist

Wow Keith, now I understand "the mad chemist"  graphics-einstein-263858.gif

I think I like what you wrote, not to sure if your trying to tell me something or if you just flew of the planet. :D  :D  :D

I'm certainly not offended mate, just not to sure if I can use it though. :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie