HMS Agamemnon by mobbsie - FINISHED - Caldercraft / Jotika - 1/64

Hi Guys,

Just a quick update to let you know how things are with the Aggy.

I haven't been totally idol but the progress on the ship has slowed slightly, the rigging continues and has seen all the breast ropes and backstays completed on the Foremast, all 4 anchors are made up and ready to be fitted when the time is right and I have made a new stand for the ship.

Oh ya, I also got some new toys, a swivel vice and a Clarkes Belt and Disc Sander.

All that remains for me to do now is, fit the Main Mast Breast Ropes and Back Stays, all the Braces and Sheets, some Cluelines and all the Tacks. Fit the anchors ( already made ) and the ships boats ( already made ).

I have the glass for the case so that needs to be assembled, once that's done I can take the inside measurements and get the base made up. So I would say in all about 2 - 3 weeks work left. Cleaning the ship will take some time before she goes under glass so I will have plenty of band aids and glue on hand for that task

OK enough said, time for some pics, rigging pics will follow soon.

My new belt and disc sander

post-493-0-37544200-1412433317_thumb.jpg   post-493-0-07592300-1412433347_thumb.jpg

Vacuum base swivel vice

post-493-0-18471400-1412433371_thumb.jpg

The start of the new stand, all pieces are pegged with no glue used at all

post-493-0-61455700-1412433397_thumb.jpg   post-493-0-68853500-1412433422_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-20553800-1412433439_thumb.jpg

Here's the finished base with a coat of Rosewood stain

post-493-0-15596800-1412433457_thumb.jpg   post-493-0-13086600-1412433476_thumb.jpg

I do hope guys that that will suffice as a quick update. There will be more to follow soon.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Nice new toys, Mobbsie.  I think you'll like that sander.

She's looking first rate, mate!!!!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Carlmb,  Thanks for looking in Carl and the good word, I used the Proxxon Jig saw to cut the depth and a 5mm chisel for the centres and the jig saw for the cross beams, all the angle cuts for the supports were made on the Proxxon circular saw. Hope that answers your question mate.

Augie,  Cheers mate, I will have to get some finer belts for it, the one that's on there is a bit savage, far to rough for fine work, but all in good time. Don't know if I will use the disc sander as I have the Proxxon one but it will be a good standby.

Be Good

mobbsie

Edited by mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

Nice Tony...... I like your new stand,adds a nice touch to your ship. it looks like I have that same swivel vice. Mine would not stay put on a wood base, so I got a pc. of glass to use under it . The vacuum  holds real good against the glass. Like your new belt sander too!! Looks like you're putting all your new toys to good use, have fun!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

I think I have 240 grit on my belt.  Nice part is your machine, which looks exactly like mine, should run pretty smoothly so vibration is not a major issue.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hi Guys,

Frank,  Likewise mate, I also have a piece of glass to sit it on, I will fix the glass with double sided tape, that should hold it. Thanks for the good words my friend.

Augie,  I have used the belt sander and as I say it's a bit heavy, the only thing is, I'm not sure what grade belt is on there now, for replacements I only 3 choices,

60, 80 or 120. I need to investigate the current belt grade or try to find an alternative source if need be. As far as vibration is concerned your absolutely right, it's hardly noticeable.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Nice work on the stand.   I like it.

If you can get the size of the belt, Google it.  There's lots of places online selling belts for just about every machine.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

From the look of your machine, I would (almost) wager that this is the belt you're looking for:

http://www.micromark.com/1-inch-x-30-inch-sanding-belts-240-grit-pkg-of-2,6806.html

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

i havehttps://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/fox-f31-462-4-belt-6-disc-sander-230v great for me

love the stand,

lol - did you say you were making one for me

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Nice set of new toys there Mobbsie! And I just love that stand you've made - real classy! Can't wait to see the final finished ship in its case.

Holy cow - looks sweet, mobbsie!  Now, if you have concerns about space in the loft, I could certainly put that redundant Proxon sander to good use for you - just to free up some space, mind you.

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Hi Guys,

Thank you gents for your very kind comments and likes, I do appreciate them. :)

Mark,  Augie and Kevin have kindly sent me links which has saved me a lot of time searching, I need to check them out but a quick glance tells me they are exactly what I need. :)  :)

Augie - Kevin,  Thanks guys, those links are just the ticket.  Kevin, I would love to build you one but your gonna have to send me your Vic so I can get a profile of her. :D

Grant,  I cant wait either, shant be long now though. ;)

Carl,  I didn't like the kit display stand and I made a mistake when I failed to put the nuts into the false keel so I couldn't use pillars, I must admit though that with the weight of this beast I wouldn't have trusted them anyway, I just wanted to be a bit different. ^_^

Matti,  Thanks mate, you know what they say, "Seek and Yee Shall Find" you just never know what's round the corner. :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Wayne,  Thanks for the offer mate but I think I can find a home for it, I may need to put some more worktops up though. I built a small empire at work, it feels like I'm starting one here to. Feels like I'm in "Oliver" when I ask for extra space, I quote "MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!  YOU WANT MORE*******".

I blame you mate, I tell her you moved thousands of miles to a new home so you could have more space, I shant tell you her response but I'm still wearing the eye patch. :D  :D

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

There ya go Sjors, signature all changed. :piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4: :piratetongueor4:  

I would like to give credit to Donnie from Ships of Scale for the idea for my new Aggie stand, I got the basic shape from him and just ran with it until I ended up with what I have. I have also seen another here on MSW but couldn't find it, but it was a while ago. :(

Now, get onto Grant like you got onto me about his signature. :D  :D

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

the stand looks super Mobbsie.......plenty strong enough to support that bad girl!  ;)      I've seen Donnie's stand.......it's a great idea!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks for the good word B.E., appreciated.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Hi Dragzz,

Thanks mate, not much further to go, soon have her finished.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Adrieke :- Great to hear from you mate, you have been missed by a lot of guys and it's great to have you back. Are you back in the shipyard yet, if you are then it's time we got an update mate, no pressure though. Your absolutely right, the lads really are pulling out the stops and producing some really great stuff, the bar is being raised constantly and it's great though a little daunting.

yes i am back in the shipyard , and i will have some update pictures soon

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

• 2 weeks later...

Ahoy Mate, looks like all is well on your side of the pond. I'm back, not quite in the shipyard yet, but I'm back.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Hi John,

Great to hear from you mate, glad your back.

The shipyard can wait a while longer, no sweat.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Hi Richard,

Thanks for looking in.

I just used Pine for the outer frame and cross members, the poles are bits of bamboo I nicked out of the wife's garden, hopefully she wont notice her beanpoles are a little shorter on one side.

I will have another update on the Aggy tomorrow gents, you never know, it may be the last one. :)  :) :)  

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

As promised gents here is my latest update.

SHE IS FINISHED, well to be truthful she has been for the last two weeks but I have been waiting for the display case to arrive, no luck yet so I'll post without the case and base.

I want to thank everybody who has followed this build and those who pressed the like button, to get 75,500+ hits has really taken me back and I thank you all for the support, help comments and advice, there has been plenty along the way and it's all been good.

This will be last big build for a couple of reasons, the first being space, I don't have enough space at home to display them properly, the museum has taken the smaller ships but it still leaves me with a problem, secondly is the repetitive work that these big ships require, there's a huge amount of planking, plating, gun making and gun rigging and so it goes on, so from now on it's only small stuff.

Hopefully this will be a one time only event, but I have a few shots of my first build, HM Brig Badger alongside Agamemnon, both are 1/64 scale and the difference is really surprising. Badger took me 4 months from start to finish and the Aggy has taken 19 1/2 months.

Anyway enough talk, lets see the pics, first up the two together.

post-493-0-23988300-1414597666_thumb.jpg  post-493-0-68277700-1414597709_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-46135900-1414597744_thumb.jpg  post-493-0-22286900-1414597810_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-43179900-1414597836_thumb.jpg  post-493-0-75451700-1414597871_thumb.jpg

I'm going to close this post and I'll open another with just the Agamemnon, I hope you enjoy these shots.

mobbsie

mobbsie