HMS Agamemnon by mobbsie - FINISHED - Caldercraft / Jotika - 1/64

Gorgeous model Mobbsie, very well done!  

Seeing how it's almost as big as your couch puts things in perspective as to how big these models are :)

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Wow, that certainly puts things in perspective Mate. That's a big model. Well done, now I remember why my Connie didn't get a case...no room.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

She looks great in her case, Tony.  I knew she was big but not THAT big.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Wow!! that's awesome Tony...... One more like that, and I think the Mrs. might put you to sea on her, then you won't have to worry about inches anymore. :D :D :D

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Mobbsie,

Just catching up to give my congratulations on your beautiful build :)

You've done an excellent job on Aggy and she turned out perfectly my friend B)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Hi Guys,

I sincerely hope you all had a lovely Christmas and are still enjoying the holidays.

Aldo, it's great to hear from you mate, I hope you are feeling a little better.

Further to my last regarding the final resting place for the Aggy, she is being put on display at our local Napoleonic Redoubt Fort. The fort was built in 1808 to repel a French attack, it garrisoned a regiment of infantry as well as artillery detachments, as a main armament it had 26 x 24 pounders and had a direct line of fire to Felixstowe.

This will all happen in the new year when they make space available.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

sounds like a great place to berth her!  does she have any ties to the history of the fort?   can the public visit and see her?   I hope so!

congrats to you Mobbsie and your beautiful ship!   I hope the New year brings you much more!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Carl & Popeye,

Thanks for your very kind comments guys and thanks to all who pressed the like button.

To answer your questions,

Popeye,  No mate, no ties with the port other than she was commanded by Nelson for a short time, he comes from Norfolk which is just a short distance from here.

The Redoubt is a museum and is open to the public all summer, they also put events on like period re-enactments. It's a very popular venue.

Carl,  She will have a home there for as long as they want to display her, as far as I'm concerned she will be on permanent loan.

Hope that answer's your questions guys.

To all I wish you a Very Happy and Prosperous New Year.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

A Happy and Healthy New Year to you and yours, Mobbsie.  I'm sure she will stand proudly in her new home.  Be sure  include a proper plaque to identify both Aggy and her shipwright.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Nice!! move Tony........ Congrats.

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Gents for your very kind comments and for all who hit the like button.

I shall be putting a short history of the ship together and fixing it to the case, most likely bottom left corner, that's the biggest open space.

For now gents I wish you all Happy Modelling.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

• 4 months later...

Oh dear! I'm just wandering what I've let myself in for. A moments lunacy led me to buy this thinking a larger scale would be better to work on for a newbie. I read the size but really, it is not until you see it in position like those last shots that you really understand the size of her. Mobbsie, you have my admiration for your work and speed. I think I have just written off the next ten years of my life outside work! I shall do a build log as this one has done two things, inspired me and has loads of helpful tips and suggestions from members which I have no doubt I will need by the bucket load. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, my first build too. Idiot certainly, foolish probably but I like a challenge, a real challenge!

Well done again and I hope that I can pick a couple of things up from all the good members out there. One question I already have is what did you use for the hammock nets? They look fantastic.

All the best

eric

Hi Eric,

Thanks for looking in and the very kind comments.

Boy, talk about jumping in with both feet, the Agamemnon is an advanced build and not really recommended for first timers but if you take your time and think twice before each step you should be fine, there are some really good builders out there who are building the Aggy who will be happy to help if you get stuck.

The Hammock Netting is made from Tulle, it's a net used for decorating wedding venues and I suppose anything that needs that material. It can be obtained from most Haberdasher's.

The hardest part I found was getting the right pattern, most come with a hexagon pattern but for Hammocks you want either square or diamond.

I gave up looking in the UK and a good friend of mine got some diamond pattern for me and sent it from Australia.

If will help I can send you a P.M. with the method I used for the nettings although you wont need them for a good while yet.

Good luck mate and don't be afraid to ask. If I can help I will.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

here in the states,   I only need look in the craft stores  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hi Denis,

We've got plenty of the stuff here and all colours imaginable but it's just not the correct pattern, you tell the assistant what it is you're after and they just look at you as if your stupid.

Then of course they wonder why it is nobody shops in the town.

It's like the time I wanted some Balsa Wood, went into town and ended up doing a 35 mile round trip, it's a complete farce, and they wonder why the towns dying.

That's my rant over.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

I hear you on that..........but I've had a few helpful folks in my travels.....so it's a win/win.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 4 years later...
On 11/24/2014 at 12:13 PM, mobbsie said:

Hi Guys,

Well I have finally taken some pics of the case and will post them now.

Thank you one and all very much for your much appreciated support, comments, suggestion, remarks and help, not forgetting all those who hit the "like" button.

As you will see I had to pull the sideboard away from the wall by 5 inches, thinking that would be enough the said case was positioned by two burley friends of mine and guess what, it stuck out by a further 2 inches.

post-493-0-58327300-1416827300_thumb.jpg  post-493-0-16057200-1416827341_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-55998900-1416827358_thumb.jpg  post-493-0-32362700-1416827374_thumb.jpg

So there we are, these last few pics really do wrap this story up, hope you enjoyed the journey, hopefully I'll see you on the dark side, Popcorn is kindly supplied Sjors but you will need to bring your own torch.

Be Good

mobbsie

Hello mobbsie,

Your Agamemnon looks really great, especially in that display case. I have mostly finished mine (after a very very long time). I still have to make a stand. But my biggest problem is the display case. I gave in the measurements at the site of a company that makes display cases, but it was too large for them to build. Could you give me a hint, how I could solve that problem? I see your display case looks fantastic!

Greetings

Martin