HMS Agamemnon by mobbsie - FINISHED - Caldercraft / Jotika - 1/64

Hi Guys,

Here goes, as a newbie I dont have a clue as to what I'm doing so please bear with me !!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont intend to rewrite the entire log and I dont have it saved so if anybody has any questions please dont be afraid to ask.

Aggy arrived on the 16th January this year so I have been working on her for about a month now, progress has been steady but a little on the slow side compared to my usual build rate.

The kit I find is very good in that everything fits as it should do if a little tight, theres a lot of sanding and rubbing down which is better than having a sloppy fit.

The main problems I have had with her so far is a warped and twisted keel, These were resolved by putting a length of dowel down each side and glueing into position, this took out the warp, for the twist, that was taken care of when the lower gun deck was fitted so all in all I'm quite happy with the way that went.

I have so far planked the lower gundeck beneath the companionway and hatches so that I dont see a bare deck, the upper gundeck has been planked useing 4 inch planks, a mistake I made here was to split the deck in two and plank seperately, I didnt put a master plank down the centre. The only thing in my favour is that there is very little seen of the upper gundeck so I think I will get away with that.

The Top deck and Poop deck have been pinned on but as yet are not planked.

I am in the middle of the first planking and am about half way, I am useing pushpins as opposed to 0.5mm pins to hold the planks in place so there is a lot of drilling, mind you there would still be the same amount of drilling if I used pins. I have now got to wait for the shops to open on Monday so that I can buy some more 1mm drill bits cos I busted the ones I did have, I tried 1.2mm but the hole is too big and the pins arn't gripped tight enough.

Another problem useing that amount of pushpins is that your thumb hurts like hell, I'm gonna have to make some kind of padding.

OK I'm gonna post some pics.

Mobbsiepost-493-0-84149400-1361099959_thumb.jpgpost-493-0-44459300-1361099996_thumb.jpgpost-493-0-56133000-1361100040_thumb.jpgpost-493-0-56306400-1361100075_thumb.jpgpost-493-0-37757800-1361100099_thumb.jpgpost-493-0-05660300-1361100229_thumb.jpgpost-493-0-06230000-1361100314_thumb.jpgpost-493-0-14143500-1361100377_thumb.jpgpost-493-0-01503300-1361100424_thumb.jpgpost-493-0-56698700-1361100502_thumb.jpgpost-493-0-48860900-1361100548_thumb.jpgpost-493-0-71933200-1361100615_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-45009900-1361100804_thumb.jpgI have placed Cant Frames in the stem as I was going to have trouble with the planking in that area, hopefully this will sort that out.

post-493-0-37781500-1361100981_thumb.jpg

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Hi Mobbsie. It's good to see you back online with your enormous model of the Aggie. We're all looking forward to updates.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Hi Mobbsie,

Glad to see you've made your way home and re-posted your log. Looking forward to seeing this one develop.

Hi Mobbsie,

I'm pleased to see your Agamemnon build log restored once more, top-notch job as always my friend, looking forward to more updates :)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Mobbsie,

So what you new, we were all new at one time or another. Glad to see you up and posting again. This is a ship I have always look at, it was Nelsons favorite ship. If you start having problems just ask and post a picture and someone here will be more than happy to help. Keep the post and pictures coming.

Edited by WackoWolf

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

Hello Mobbsie,

I'm happy that you find the way back.

If you like you can change the theme to old school MSW.

On the bottom of the screen you can find an option there on the left that say Change theme.

Maybe it helps a little.

The first plaking looks good.

Keep on posting and I'll enjoy!

Sjors

THERE SHE IS !!!!!!!!

Thank you, Mobbsie for having the tenacity to put her back on the new Forum.  Nelson would be proud.

And, for the first time in days, I have reason for optimism. :piratebo5: 

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hello Mobbsie,

Aggy is back and so are you.  And you know what, we oldies are all newbies again here, starting from scratch.

Glad to have you back my friend  :)

Smooth sailing through 'our' new site and happy modeling.

Take care,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Mobbsie,

I somehow have missed this one.. Great to see you and Aggy back.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Mobbsie..... it's good to see you back and up and running again....... How do you like the new format? Pretty slick!!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Hi Mobbsie

Just found your log on Agamemnon - I love this ship and would really like to build it too, but first I have to finish Victory. Thanks for the log!!

Cheers,

Rosmarie

In my shipyard:

HMS Victory 1:72, Caldercraft (wood): http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/416-hms-victory-by-romiol-caldercraft-172/

Schwarzer Rabe (Fluyte 1672) Shipyard, Card, 1:96: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/424-schwarzer-rabe-fluyte-1627-by-romiol-shipyard-card-196/

Hi Mobbsie

I’m very glad, my friend, that you managed the tricky navigation trough the web and are again amongst us, fresher and newer than before.

Keep up the good work on Agamemnon.  This is a ship I would like to build as well.

Cheers

Peter

and another welcome to MSW 2.0 - i have been waiting for you to get here

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the welcome and your kind words.

I dont have much to show at the moment, progress has been a bit slow, still working on the first planking, only another 35 planks to fit, it makes me realise just how small my other builds have been.

Someone once said on the forum that we all look back on our first builds with a more critical eye when we gain in experience, how true that is. I have been looking at my Brig Badger and boy can I see what mistakes there are, almost to the point where I am seriously considering re-doing parts of her, mainly the Main Mast which is a bit bent forward, still thats for the future.

I started to cut out the gunports on the starboard side but called a halt due to the wood (Lime) starting to split, the reason is because I should have finished the planking first, given it a coat of diluted PVA and left it to dry. One thing I did learn is to pack the sides to stop any movement, lessen learnt.

I will be working to complete the 1st planking, cutting the portside gunports and lining them, so that will be my next set of pics which hopefully not be too long.

So, sorry I dont have any pics at the moment but rest assured I will be working towards it.

Mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

No rush, Mobbsie.  You set the pace.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Glad to have you on board Carl

Mobbsie

Edited by mobbsie

mobbsie

No pressure Mobbsie... well, maybe from Sjors.   But when the time is right, we do want pictures. :D

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your patience and understanding, I am getting there but it is taking longer than I would have hoped.

I have about 10 - 11 planks each side to finish but unfortuately I've had to take time out in order to do some winter repairs, like build and fit two new garden gates.

Nose will be back to the grindstone on Wednesday after shopping,( more domesticity or am I just the modern man ).

Hope to have some pics very soon, gotta try to keep Sjors quite, if thats possible.

Mobbsie

mobbsie

Mobbsie, take you time my friend. We're all patient enough to begin with or we wouldn't be very successful with this hobby. My building will slow waaaaaaay down when it warms up enough to go fishing.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Hi Mobbsie,

I'll be quite……..

Just sit here and wait…..and wait….and wait…..

Sjors

The virtue of patience has obviously abandoned Sjors.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976