HMS Agamemnon by mobbsie - FINISHED - Caldercraft / Jotika - 1/64

Hi All,

It's been so long I've forgotten what I have to do. It's been a while since my last update so here goes.

The planking below the waterline is now complete, AT LAST, only planking left to do is above the wale and around the gunports, such fun.

In one of my moments of insanity I wondered how much timber was used for the hull below the wale, the answer    63 metres of 1mm x 5mm. That equates to 488 individual planks at 119mm each, plus numerous shorter planks.

I used quite a few stealers in the stern, perhaps more than I should have but it's worked out ok, it's going to be coppered anyway.

I have given it a good sanding and in most places if were any smoother I would put a nappy or diaper on it, but still a little more sanding wouldn't hurt.

Some pics

post-493-0-68870600-1369413439_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-68870600-1369413439_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-82549800-1369413532_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-11876900-1369413596_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-70537400-1369413639_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-01331300-1369413687_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-81210000-1369413717_thumb.jpg

So there we are, I have made a start on the remaining planking so hopefully it wont be this long again.

mobbsie

post-493-0-19612800-1369413490_thumb.jpg

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Great Mobbsie!!! 

63 meters! Wow, That's some serious area there...

When you start rigging the monster I want to know how many meters of thread you'll use...

(on Götheborg we have 20 tons of hemp. I guess HMS Agamemnon had double that)

Edited by Seasick

Great planking job Mobbsie!

It looks good.

A few more planks on the top and then you can go to the coppering part  :D

63 meters of planks is a lot!

I think i ask Anja if she wants to help me  :D

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Looking Great, Mobbsie!  :D

You must have been inspired by your visitors..... :P

:cheers:

Jim

Completed      Robert E Lee, Misisssippi riverboat               

Completed,  HMS Victory Bow Section

Completed,  Wells Fargo Stagecoach...Picasa album.... 

Completed,  Lackawanna tugboat converted to private yacht...

Completed:  Sopwith Camel, 1:16 Scale, Model Airways...at another location...

Completed:  1961 Ferrari F-1 Sharknose

Completed: (sorta)  OcCre BR-18 Locomotive

Completed: 1/35 Pz.KPfw.III

Completed: Allerton Steam Pumper circa 1869

Congrats on reaching this milestone Mobbsie - only a little bit more to go an ALL the hull planking will be finished. Then it'll be on to the coppering! And I think Wayne underestimated the number of copper plates, I think it will be closer to eleventy gazillion :D

She's looking great Mobbsie. I expect you'll be completely finished by the time I come to inspect her in September!

Fantastic job, Mobbsie.  That's a LOT of planks.

Well worth the effort.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Since Wayne took that hat, I  think I'll sit here and be in awe.  That's a lot of planking to be appreciated before it's covered in copper.  Almost a sin to do that. :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

very nice job Tony...... that was pretty funny about the diapers..... I'm waiting to follow your
copper plating, that should be a lot of fun(for you)  :P

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Beautiful planking!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

splendid job Mobbsie..............that's a lot od real estate to cover!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you all for the very kind words and encouragement.

She really is a big slab sided beast but in the most part fun.

I've never coppered anything before so its going to be a steep learning curve, cant say I'm looking forward to it at the moment, might be different when I make a start.

Eric, the kit supplies 343.4 metres of line for the rigging, I don't know how that equates in weight but I know I wouldn't want to carry it for real.

Planking continues with the gun port patterns which is proving to be quite a task in itself, but it's fiddly which is what I like.

Hopefully I'll have a few more pics in the not too distant future.

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

Mobbsie,

Haven't been around much. Not a lot of time on my hands ... so I had my share of reading your log.

Great planking job though. I might add you will certainly do great on the copper too!

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Beautiful planking work, Mobbsie, Aggy looks awesome! :)   

Wow! I never realized that a ship of the line required so much planks, and that's only below the about 2/3rds of her :blink:

You have the perseverance of a saint, my friend, excellent work! B)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

looking extremely nice Mobbsie.  I agree with the others......shame to cover that with copper.   but, it must be done

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Great build. Something about this ship I have always wanted to have a go at it. Neat and tidy work, keep it up mate!

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

That is some great looking work Mobbsie. It looks as if you are moving right along as quickly as ever.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Hi Mobbsie,

What is supplied for coppering?  It is copper tape with an adhesive back or individual plates that must be glued?  Can make a real difference in the fun..... :P

Either way, you will do fine! :)

:cheers:

Jim

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the vote of confidence mate it's much appreciated. :)

I do have some copper tape which I bought when I built my steam launch, for the copper kettle ect but I don't like using that to much.

The kit comes with copper plates, the size is18mm x 6mm.I haven't counted them but the manual reckons there are over 2,500 plates, I just know I'm going to have a bit of trouble with a few of them. :D  :D

Hope that answers your question Jim.

Patrick, Scott, Popeye, Aldo, Boris, ZyXuz & Carl,

Thank you guys for your very kind words, I really do appreciate them. :)  :)

mobbsie

mobbsie

Mobbsie,

While I still feel it's a sin to cover that beautiful planking, I'll be here pulling for you on the coppering.  A lot of plates but I don't think you would have started this if you didn't think you could master the challenge.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mobbsie,

Are we going to get an inaugural picture of coppering???  :P

Cheers,

Jim