HMS Agamemnon by mobbsie - FINISHED - Caldercraft / Jotika - 1/64

Done a great job! It's really looking great. This ship is one of my favorites, always wanted to purchase this one but will have to wait until funds are available. So instead I follow your log and dream. Keep up the good work.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

she looks very nice , love the colours, im trying to still source the material for the netting 

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Thanks very much, Mobbsie, I appreciate the help :)

Wow! Beautiful work and paintjob on the decorations, my friend, they sure spruce up your Aggy B)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Wow!! Tony, what a beautiful job on the decorations, she looks just great! and another WOW!!......... almost missed your birthday.........

but like they say, better late than never!.... "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" Tony and many more!!........... :cheers:

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Great job on the figure painting, Mobbsie.    And here's you having a great birthday!post-76-0-89711700-1377146543.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I can see how you spent your birthday!  wonderful work my friend!   it looks super!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi

I love the idea of different colour schemes such as yours.  It does make me wonder how the kit manufacturers decide on the recommendations they make.  I guess they are as much in the dark as the rest of us and just do what they think - unless they have some documentary proof.  With the Victory, it will be possible to take colour samples on original timbers to get a good idea of the original colour scheme, much as they do in historic houses.  I imagine virtually all the other ships will be speculation to differing degrees.  No doubt the appearance of a ship will change over time as repairs and repainting is carried out in service so anything goes.  That's my theory at least and it allows a Captain to do as the Admiral pleases (well that's the case in the Navy I'm in.........)

Geoff

Hi Mobbsie - though I'm a little late, let me add my birthday congratulations! You Aug 20 and me the 21st! Many happy returns.

Second - excellent work as usual on the Aggy! Looking forward to more!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Hi Guys,

I would like to thank everybody for your very kind birthday wishes, I had a lovely day with a bit of modelling, a lot of family and a whole lot of cake, unfortunately no booz due to medications.

Anja, thanks for the song, it was so funny to watch my 2yr old grandson doing the dog dance.

Kevin, I wish you the best of luck in getting some Tulle, I found some on the internet but unfortunately it was not the pattern I needed ( diamond ), I also searched all the habidashery shops in Harwich and Colchester, nothing, so good luck mate. If you do find some perhaps you could let me know.

Andy, he's pretty "armless" at the moment, the spear is made of a very soft alloy and sure as eggs is eggs it's gonna get bent up, so for now it stays off.

Hamilton, were both on the same day mate, 21st.

Geoff, I know that Caldercraft do do an awfull lot of research on the colour schemes of their kits and they have produced their range of paints based on samples taken from Victory, for the Aggy they do say that the colours are right for that period, to me they are boring and so you see the result.

Thank you all for the positive comments on the stern colour scheme, it's not accurate but I like it.

The stern is now completed, rudder chains, gun port lids and lanterns are fitted, now to start on the front end. No pics just yet but soon.

One question perhaps you could help me with, I would like to put some sheaves in the catheads but am having a bit of agro cutting the slots to take them.

My question is, How do I cut the slots in the Catheads which measure 5mm x 5mm.? All I have apart from hand tools and no chisels is a Rotocraft multi purpose.

Thank you all once again.

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Mobbsie,

If I can remember to pack it, I'll bring you some extra Tulle next week - you might be able to pass some on to Kevin (I've no idea of the distance between you, but I'm sure the Royal Mail could help).

As for your catheads sheaves, given your lack of tools, I can only suggest drilling a series of holes (carefully aligned), and then clean up the slots using an Exacto blade (you can get "chisel" blades for the Exacto, in two sizes if memory serves me correctly).

Two sleeps to go..........

I agree with Grant on how to make those slots using only hand tools.  It may be helpful if you first drill the 2 end holes for each sheave and then carefully connect those 2 holes with a small cut or groove.  This then helps you to align the 'connecting' holes between them when you are drilling those prior to cleaning up the slots.

I have also read where you can create the slot between the 2 end holes by running very fine jewelers sanding thread down those 2 holes and working it back and forth.  I haven't tried this but it sounds logical ---- if you can find thin enough sanding thread.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Another idea that I saw in the CC Victory instructions downloaded from the Caldercraft site (I find the online instructions very helpful because the newer instructions seem to cover a lot more generic 'basic' stuff  than the very sparse ones provided in older kits).  Anyway, in there sheaves are added by making a sandwich of wood strips and pulley and then attaching to the end of the cathead.  Looks like a clever idea.

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Thanks Grant, Augie and Jason for your suggestions and help with this matter. :)  :) :)  

I have made a couple of what I think are acceptable cathead pulleys, I used Grant and Augies method by drilling three holes in line for each pulley, then using my home made chisel cut out the slots. I then took some 3mm dowel and drilled the centre then using my razor saw cut the pulley to a thickness of 1.5mm, these were then pinned and glued into the cathead slots, for a first time it's not pretty but it is acceptable. ;)

I'll post some pics Saturday morning.

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

Somehow, Tony, I suspect the result is far more satisfying than you indicate!  If it is at all close to what you have done thus far, it will look great!

It was a pleasure "meeting" your Granddaughter the other day - she is a cutie!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Hi Guys,

Thanks John, that's a method I will be practicing at some time in the future, it sounds good to me. :)  :)

As promised some pics of my efforts on the catheads and the completed stern.

post-493-0-12296100-1377337198_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-49748800-1377337221_thumb.jpg

Still to be rubbed down with a fine paper

post-493-0-89964100-1377337259_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-48371000-1377337281_thumb.jpg

mobbsie

Edited by mobbsie

mobbsie

Mobbsie,

Magnificent work! :D

:cheers:

Jim

Completed      Robert E Lee, Misisssippi riverboat               

Completed,  HMS Victory Bow Section

Completed,  Wells Fargo Stagecoach...Picasa album.... 

Completed,  Lackawanna tugboat converted to private yacht...

Completed:  Sopwith Camel, 1:16 Scale, Model Airways...at another location...

Completed:  1961 Ferrari F-1 Sharknose

Completed: (sorta)  OcCre BR-18 Locomotive

Completed: 1/35 Pz.KPfw.III

Completed: Allerton Steam Pumper circa 1869

Well done on the stern and I like the catheads.  I also approve of the orientation of your paper towel roll.  I like them coming over the top as well :D

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Pierre, The stern chasers were just glued on mate, I didn't want to go cutting into the transom at this stage of the build, Thanks for the good word.

Augie, Thanks for the advice mate on the method for the catheads, The paper towel tears off much better in a downwards direction, after extensive trials and having tried several positions for it ie free standing, on it's end and with the leaf tearing upwards, nothing beats a downwards tear.

Jim, thanks for the good word mate.

Grant, Thanks mate for the advice, with both you and Augie how could I not follow the advice of the masters.

mobbsie

mobbsie

Just lovely work on the stern and it looks to me like a perfect job on the catheads.   I'm looking forward to the next bit of progress.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Mobbsie

There I finally find time to visit MSW after a few weeks and what did you do in the meantime? You put at least a year of fabulous work into your Agamemnon. She really looks good. A pity that paint and ropes will cover a lot of that fine work on the catheads or won’t they? I wonder if the pulleys still are visible or if John’s excellent suggestion of simplified dummy sheaves would work almost as well.

And not even Nelson could offer any critical comments on the color scheme as long as you shoot straight  :pirate41:  and handle bravely and without shipwreck such tricky pieces of navigation as 'the stairs’ (or that nasty piece of landscape called ‘door frame’ with a ship which will have a beam of 50cm and a height of 1 m!). :piratetongueor4:

Good luck on all the navigation mate, and keep up the fine work

Peter