HMS Agamemnon by mobbsie - FINISHED - Caldercraft / Jotika - 1/64

He Mobbsie,

You always told me that I have to be careful with sharp knifes…..

I think that you don't want to start with the coppering and that you look for things to avoid that…..

But there are better ways my friend!

Talk to you later on.

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Ouch Mobbsie!!! I don't like the sound of that. But I do hope you left a tiny speck of blood behind - sort of like an Artist's signature - just to show how much of you went into this build. :D

Hope it heals quickly my friend and that you're back to full speed in no time.

Hi Mobbsie

Get well fast!

Grant’s idea is nice although I think that we anyway leave enough of our DNA on our models in the form of 'Blood, Sweat and Tears'.

Take care

Take a little more care

Peter

Hi Guys,

Thank you so very much for the well wishes, all is well now, after the arm emptied of the red stuff and the bleeding stopped a good helping of CA sealed the cut.

I have an update on the Aggy at long last.

The first few shots are of the completed planking and the gun ports tidied up, also with the upper wale in place although it's difficult to see because of the colour of the timber but the filer is quite visible.

post-493-0-36890900-1370520093_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-71889000-1370520118_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-31632400-1370520161_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-11409100-1370520213_thumb.jpg

The next set is the upper wale, main wale, and gun ports are painted with the waterline completed, next step is coppering.

post-493-0-20071000-1370520329_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-69089200-1370520367_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-79935600-1370520400_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-34405900-1370520720_thumb.jpg

So there we are right up to date, as I say the next step is coppering, wish me luck.

It's taken me over an hour to write this update, it's all the fault of the RAF, they keep flying over my house in a Spitfire, yesterday it was a Hurricane, how the hell do they expect anybody to get any work done.

Be good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

It's taken me over an hour to write this update, it's all the fault of the RAF, they keep flying over my house in a Spitfire, yesterday it was a Hurricane, how the hell do they expect anybody to get any work done.

Mobbsie - it the defense cuts - last year they had two pilots, but have made one redundant since, so it the same pilot

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Glad the bleeding has subsided.  Hopefully, you used medium or thick CA for the repair ---- holds up better than the thin stuff.

Really nice job on all that planking.  That is one significant quantity of wood.  As requested, I wish you luck with the coppering.

Oh, please provide photo of Spitfire on low level pass.  One of the few things in life that rivals a fully rigged ship-of-the-line.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I can see that..... you've only got half the paint on..... :P

Anyway, she looks good, a very satisfyingly complete planking job, I'm sure :)

And good luck with the coppering

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Looks good Mobbsie!

Keep those plains over there please…..

I like my silence around here  :D

Good luck with the coppering.

I know you gonna make a good job of it!

Well done Mobbsie. Looks great. Good luck with the coppering, though I know you won't need it!

Mobbsie,

Excellent work! :10_1_10:

I think I'd rather watch fly overs than copper too...... :P

How does one arrange such events? :D :D :D :D

Cheers,

Jim

Completed      Robert E Lee, Misisssippi riverboat               

Completed,  HMS Victory Bow Section

Completed,  Wells Fargo Stagecoach...Picasa album.... 

Completed,  Lackawanna tugboat converted to private yacht...

Completed:  Sopwith Camel, 1:16 Scale, Model Airways...at another location...

Completed:  1961 Ferrari F-1 Sharknose

Completed: (sorta)  OcCre BR-18 Locomotive

Completed: 1/35 Pz.KPfw.III

Completed: Allerton Steam Pumper circa 1869

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

she's looking super Mobbsie........the paint makes her look fantastic!   I also wish you well on the coppering.......I have plenty of copper paint,  if you should change your mind ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Completed      Robert E Lee, Misisssippi riverboat               

Completed,  HMS Victory Bow Section

Completed,  Wells Fargo Stagecoach...Picasa album.... 

Completed,  Lackawanna tugboat converted to private yacht...

Completed:  Sopwith Camel, 1:16 Scale, Model Airways...at another location...

Completed:  1961 Ferrari F-1 Sharknose

Completed: (sorta)  OcCre BR-18 Locomotive

Completed: 1/35 Pz.KPfw.III

Completed: Allerton Steam Pumper circa 1869

Nice job on the planking and painting, Mobbsie.  She is a beauty!  I can certainly understand the distraction with those pesky old things flying around!!!!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Hi Tony.....just catching up, hope your bubu is ok now...... The Aggie is looking great, excellent planking  job. before you know it you'll have her all coppered up. You've done more on your build in the past month than I've done on  mine in the past year. At the rate your going ,you'll be launching The Aggie before I even finish tying off my rigging :D  :D  I love those Spitfires too, but... the Harriers really say it all !!! :D

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Mobbsie,

She looks great.  As for the Spitfires and Hurricaines... I believe they're keeping the ME-109's, 110's and the Focke-Wolfe 190's away.  If it weren't for them, you'd have to put up with air raid sirens and all that and possibly some Dornier 17's.  ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

looking really good :) and i hear you done some blood offering to her too .  that will maker her cooperate better :P

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Beautiful work - what an impressive hull!!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Hi Guys,

Thank you one and all for the very gracious words, I really do appreciate them.

Sorry Augie, no low fly over, altitude restrictions mean no flying lower than 500ft, I live on top of a hill but it aint that high. I love the sound of that Rolls Royce Merlin engine, it's unmistakeable, a deep growl. Every time I see and hear one it brings a lump to my throat. I used the thickest CA I've got, done the job a treat, just down to trimming of the dead ends now.

The Harriers take the cake Frank, message is short and sweet and to the point, love it.

Mark, fortunately their in the past, but the local fishermen at the time didn't appreciate being shot up by a couple of Thunderbolts, and that was in our nearby river, sunk a boat but fortunately no loss of life.

Pierre, your right, running up and down the stairs to gaze at the sky stopped the build quite a lot, mind you I was glad of the distraction.

Adrieke, yep, a bit of blood letting, but the Aggy already carries my DNA from an earlier excursion with a blade.

Keith, when Nelson saw the Aggy  with Sir Edward Berry in command he is reported to have said " Here comes that damned fool Berry! now we shall have a fight". She was also nicknamed eggs and bacon by her crew.

Keith, that'll teach him to wear a hard hat, perhaps Andy could lend him his. But boy that is low, no room for any error there.

Andy, Grant, Wayne, Hamilton, John, Sjors thank you for your very kind words.

PLEASE HELP

I have one question for all you experienced copper platters, When and how do I use / draw a Gore line, I have a reference to it in some of my books but I don't understand the explanation, perhaps I'm being thick, I have completed 5 rows of plates on the bottom of the hull including the false keel and I'm not sure if I need to draw a gore line and if I do how do I lay the plates against it. I intend to lay 3 rows of plates at the waterline.

I have checked out the u tube vids and there is no mention of one.

Thank you for looking in

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Completely clueless here, Mobbsie.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Mobbsie,

I have no idea if I'm correct or not, but my take on what I read and saw in Longridge, was that the upper belt started at the waterline and basically ran parallel to it for 12 strakes (rows), while the lower belt curved upwards, particularly at the fwd end as if to follow how a row of planks would follow the curve of the hull. Plan No2 from Longridge (the one I posted for you last week) gives a reasonably good indication of this.

As I understand it, the "gore line" is simply the line where the two belts of plating meet. As always, I stand ready to be corrected by those more knowledgeable than I.

Hope this helps my friend.

Sorry Mobbsie,

I can not help you with this one  :(

When you find the solution, please make sure when you show it here that I understand it also  :D

Can you post a picture  what you have done yet?

No hurry because in one hour I have to go to work  :(

Beautiful weather and I can sit behind a big windscreen…….

Feel sorry for me please…...

Mobbsie,

I have no clue but what Grant said makes sense.  Makes me wish we had a coppering guide in the articles section that is like the planking guides.

Edit:  Wait a minute..  I discovered we do have one:  http://modelshipworldforum.com/resources/Framing_and_Planking/CopperSheathing.pdf  Not sure if it will help though.  You might to look at some of the Vanguards and Aggy's and see how they did it.  The Vics might help also.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

a gore line is a scar line

when tiled from top and bottom you will end up with a line of cut tiles - ie scar

if done this way it will be hidden under the waiste is the build - and not seen

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

PLEASE HELP

I have one question for all you experienced copper platters, When and how do I use / draw a Gore line, I have a reference to it in some of my books but I don't understand the explanation, perhaps I'm being thick, I have completed 5 rows of plates on the bottom of the hull including the false keel and I'm not sure if I need to draw a gore line and if I do how do I lay the plates against it. I intend to lay 3 rows of plates at the waterline.

I have checked out the u tube vids and there is no mention of one.

I tiled mine the Keith Jullier way, down from the top and up from the keel, in most cases this will result in a line of cut tiles, - i.e. gore/scar, doing it this way, ½ way is hidden under the waist of the build, and not seen

Hope that makes sense

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished