HMS Agamemnon by mobbsie - FINISHED - Caldercraft / Jotika - 1/64

Nice work Tony, catheads look great!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

I also approve of the orientation of your paper towel roll.  I like them coming over the top as well :D

I fight my Admiral about that orientation all the time!

Really nice work Mobbsie!

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Hi Guys,

Thank you one and all for the very kind words and encouragement, when you try something new it's great to have so many friends offering help and advice so thank you again.

I have made a little progress on the Aggy, not a lot though, I've been scalded by " he who shall remain nameless " for not posting sooner so here goes.

I have made a start on the gun port lids as you will see.

Hull steps and fenders are on and painted, nothing to get excited about there, but I did pick up an idea, the manual states to drill 1.5 and 1.0mm holes for the Main Brace, Mainsail Sheet, Foresail Sheet, Spritsail Yard Sheet and Mainsail Tack, just a hole didn't seem right so I innovated by using 4mm deadeyes to make sheaves, I sanded down the oval sides to flat and bob's your uncle - done. I do have some picks of those.

Also I made a rope server using styrene sheet, dowel, a servo which was altered, some gears, brass tube and some washers and a battery box for 4 x 1.5 volt batteries. It does take some getting used to because of the motor, although not fast it's fast enough if you cock up, first time I used it to practice I made a right mess but it does work, some pics to follow.

Secondly, I made a block tumbler, I used the Admirals garden string tin, some sand paper ( don't know the grit ), dowel and some drawing pins. It's going to fall apart on me but it has done the job for two ship's so plenty of time to make a proper one, and yes I did say two ships. I also done the second Aggy for you know who, again some pics to follow.

Enough words, now Sjors favourite, Pics  <_<  <_<

The first of what seems many gun port lids

post-493-0-78996500-1378148905_thumb.jpg

Steps and fenders on the Starboard side

post-493-0-32785300-1378148932_thumb.jpg

The first of the sheaves, this is for the Main Brace

post-493-0-25285900-1378148958_thumb.jpg

This one is for the Mainsail Sheet

post-493-0-02232300-1378148989_thumb.jpg

On the left is the Foresail Sheet, right, Spritsail Yard Sheet with the Mainsail Tack ahead of that.

post-493-0-25216800-1378149013_thumb.jpg

One botched serving machine

post-493-0-47178800-1378149115_thumb.jpg

Battery box and servo

post-493-0-58908600-1378149136_thumb.jpg

Some very simple gears, if I'm doing it they need to be simple

post-493-0-62534300-1378149169_thumb.jpg

One string tin, ( with permission I might add)

post-493-0-05561100-1378147639_thumb.jpg

Lids off now

post-493-0-90413000-1378147661_thumb.jpg

Simple shaft

post-493-0-67482200-1378147689_thumb.jpg

Results on some of the blocks treated

post-493-0-07682000-1378147717_thumb.jpg

It's a very simple structure and took me about 45 mins to construct but it has reasonable results.

post-493-0-82312900-1378147739_thumb.jpg

So there we are, I do have some guys to thank for the ideas, Andy and Augie, thank you gentlemen.

Sjors I do hope these meet your very exacting standards my friend.

mobbsie

Edited by mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

I've got to love your strategy.....having fun whilst keeping we ALL know who at bay.  I love the sheaves.  And looks like we can now both enjoy turning our blocks to dust.

On that rope-twirler thingy, do not wear a tie or long sleeves while operating  :D  :P  :D

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Mobbsie,

Looking great! :10_1_10:

And very creative as well! :)

But I need a bit of translation of 'bob's your uncle" ???? :huh:

Cheers,

Jim

Completed      Robert E Lee, Misisssippi riverboat               

Completed,  HMS Victory Bow Section

Completed,  Wells Fargo Stagecoach...Picasa album.... 

Completed,  Lackawanna tugboat converted to private yacht...

Completed:  Sopwith Camel, 1:16 Scale, Model Airways...at another location...

Completed:  1961 Ferrari F-1 Sharknose

Completed: (sorta)  OcCre BR-18 Locomotive

Completed: 1/35 Pz.KPfw.III

Completed: Allerton Steam Pumper circa 1869

Mobbise,

Great innovation and thinking.  You got me thinking about my hull sheaves.

Jim,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob's_your_uncle

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

nice work Mobbsie.........some really great ideas there!   I've heard of that saying...although I haven't heard it in a dog's age :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I've got to have another look at those sheaves myself.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hi Mobbsie,

You see ?

Everyone liked a little bit of progress.

And then with pictures ! Thanks for that my friend.

I've see it all ready on Skype but so I can see it much better !

This is really a museum build !

When you are in Portsmouth sunday, take a look again at the Aggy in the store and you will be very happy with your own result !

And thanks for sheaving my blocks !

Save me a lot of work !!!!!!!!

And stay out of my box from my Aggy !

If you need wood, order it by your self and don't take mine !!!!! :P  :P  :P  :P

And keep my Aggy save in our bedroom  :D  :D  :D  :D ( Anja and mine )

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Mobbsie, it's looking great so far. I like the innovation with your serving machine and block sander. What grit are you using in your block sander? Are those flaps made from cardboard or more sandpaper? This is something I would like to construct eventually.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Hi Guys,

Jim,  " Bobs your uncle " it's just a saying which means basically " before you know where you are ", in the context I used it it would have read "  just a hole didn't seem right so I innovated by using 4mm deadeyes to make sheaves, I sanded down the oval sides to flat and before you know where you are their done. :)  :)

Hope that helps mate and thanks for looking in and the good words.

Patrick,  the blades are made of double sided sandpaper, no cardboard at all. The paper grade is a wet and dry P400 AND P320, the ends and sides are P320 which is the more abrasive than the blades which is P400. It's basically held together with double sided sticky tape and the blades are fixed to the shaft by drawing pins, it really is a very simple thing to make, depends how elaborate you want it to be. Mine took me about 30 - 45 mins to make, this was the second one made that day, the first was made from a Tupperware storage box which worked for a while then melted. :D :D  

Thanks for the good words my friend.

Augie,  No tie's worn in this house anymore thankfully ( just the odd black one ) and all long sleeve shirts have the sleeves rolled up, the power output on that rope turning thingy is less than 1 candle power so you gotta be really unlucky to get injured with that, better put some guards on it, knowing my luck.

:(  :(  :D  , Thanks for posting your block sander, simplicity itself. ^_^

Thanks for your very kind words buddy.

Mark, The thing about using a deadeye is the 3 holes drilled in the centre, they can be filled or depending where they are to be used just left, and the main advantage is no tools to rig up.  :)  :)  

Thanks for the good words my friend.

Andy, Thanks for the information on the rope server mate, I just made a few changes coz I'm basically lazy, just got to get used to using it without fouling up.

:)  :) :)  

Don't put yourself down regarding your skills mate, there are a lot of builders including myself who aspire to reach your standards, hopefully I'll get there one day, but not yet.

Sjors, I bow to your greater knowledge my friend.

Pierre, Jim, Thanks for the good words guys, they really does mean a whole lot.

mobbsie

Edited by mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

Sir Mobbsie - WOW!!!  Looking mighty fine now.  And look at you putzing around making tools, too!  Watch out for "you know who" - purty soon he's gonna want you to build him a sett as well!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

I thought that serving machine looked somewhat familiar... :rolleyes:

Although with that motor... I hope you've not increased the chances that a certain character who brings bad luck may appear... (Not Sjors... You know the one who's name kind of rhymes with "burpy") ;):P

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Nice work Mobbsie........ I really like the tools you made...... the rope server looks great! , I take it you 've decided against the other one :P

Good show  mate!!!

Frank

P.S. your Aggy is looking fantastic!

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Great work Mobbsie,

I'll be around to inspect it in person tomorrow! :D

You sailors behave over there.

On second thought, I know that won't be possible.

Have a great time together  :cheers:

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Augie,

When I see Mobbsie tonight on Skype, I shall tell him that .

But I don't think it will help a lot.

So from me also having a great time together !

And behave !!!!! ( or I shall give the Admiral of Mobbsie a phone call  :D  :D

Hi Guys,

Just a quick update on the weekend.

Grant arrived at Chatham rail station dead on time ( good old BR ) and we hooked with no probs, it was at the car that I told him there were two others who would like to meet him, you should have seen his face, it was a mix of delight to see Anja and abject fear on seeing Sjors :D . It was one of those wonderfull moments.

The day at Chatham was great, Dave, our guide went out of his to assist us and he showed us everything we wanted to see and more, even a model from 450 odd years BC.

On returning home it was of course catch up time on MSW and a very warm and friendly evening was enjoyed by all, turned in about 10:30 cos none of us are spring chickens any more and we had a fairly early start on Sunday, Grant slept in ^_^ .

Time at Portsmouth was limited due to Grants schedule but the Mary Rose Exibition, Victory, Victory Museum and the Warrior were all visited, lunch was somewhere in there as well.

We dropped Grant of in Southampton at 15:30 so that he could pick up his hire car and said a very sad farewell.

Anja, Sjors and myself got home at 19:00 and got stuck into a Chinese take away and enjoyed a relaxing evening.

My house is empty now and all the sadder for it, I dropped A & S off at the dock and a further sad farewell ensued.

So Sjors now has his aggy so look out, it's gonna happen.

I would like to openly thank Grant, Anja and Sjors for bringing life and laughter into my home and for a truly great weekend, THANKS GUYS.

First meeting at Chatham

post-493-0-74272400-1378722164_thumb.jpg

Sjors carrying his Aggy and Anja is glad this the last pic

post-493-0-73569000-1378722245_thumb.jpg

mobbsie

Edited by mobbsie

mobbsie

Hi Mobbsie,

We are on the ship going back home  :(

We don't want to but we have.

Thank you and Christine for a wonderful weekend !

We have joy it every minute !!!!!!!

And yes, we are taking the Aggy with us.

When I'm at home, i have to check the box if still everything is there  :D  :D  :D

The custom ask me if there was any weapons in the box......I tell him that there where about 63 cannons.....

He looked at me if I was crazy  :)

When i explain him what was inside, we can go further ....thanks Mister from the Custom !!!!!!!!

When I'm at home tonight I shall give a replay to all the things i have missed those last four days.

And tomorrow some pictures.

Mobbsie an Christine, THANKS AGAIN !!!!!

Anja & Sjors

If you don't mind John I'll stick with the common version, being working class I aint refind like what you Hausteralians is. :D

mobbsie

mobbsie

Is it just me, of does Anja look a little unhappy that Sjors has yet another model ship in his hands? ;)

No, that's not it.  It's the fact that she is handling the luggage, passports, cameras and other various items essential for international travel while Sjors focuses all his energy and attention on carrying (and protecting) his latest project.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

You guys are really seeing everything…….

But not all.

I was handling the camera's and the notebook  :D  :D  :D

And I pay the Aggy for myself !

So that's not why she looking this strange.

The reason was that she has to leave mobbsie……..

And the ship in the background is the ship that brings us back home !