HMS Agamemnon by mobbsie - FINISHED - Caldercraft / Jotika - 1/64

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the long delay but affairs of state have taken precedent over the build ( Admiral said so ), but I'm back into the swing of it again and have just a small update to offer.

I am currently tying off the Mizzen, Main and Fore Mast Top Shrouds, I have put the lanyards onto the Mizzen deadeyes but not as yet tied them off, the main topmast shrouds are held by their jigs and will be tied off tomorrow also the Fore Topmast shrouds will be given the treatment.

Following that will come the Futtock Staves, Ratlines, Shroud Cleats then the Topgallant Shrouds, so still a ways to go.

Anyway a few pics to show where I'm at.

post-493-0-87058000-1400871978_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-48124000-1400872009_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-93867100-1400872029_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-33390200-1400872056_thumb.jpg

Fore topmast shrouds waiting for deadeyes

post-493-0-78460400-1400872089_thumb.jpg

Topgallant Shrouds waiting to be fitted

post-493-0-47249300-1400872122_thumb.jpg

So there we have it, not much since my last post, I will be picking up the pace fairly soon.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

very nice Mobbsie.........you'll pick up where you left off......so no concerns there!  glad to see your back at it!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Nice to see you back in the shipyard Mobbsie. Now that you've finished correcting the mistakes of the so-called "tradesmen" in the kitchen, you can return to the important things in life! ;)

Good to have you home.  Rigging looks super.

Sjors is almost finished?  He must be building a half-hull admiralty version :D

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Very impressive rigging Mobbsie. Everything looks so clean and precise.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

after looking at all those ropes dangling there...... you might want to start another re-do!! :P :P ( just kidding )... I know you

enjoy rigging a lot more!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Mobbsie: Great job on the fighting top rigging.. While Im nowhere there yet with my Aggy, I remember my Model Shipways rigging of the fighting tops and remember how picky that rigging job can be.... Keep up the great progress. Are you planning to rig her with sails or keep her without sails?

Have a good one

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

Thank you Gentlemen for you very kind remarks and comments, also to all who hit the like button.

It's good to get back in the saddle so to speak.

Frank, if anybody even dares to suggest another refurb I'll scream, it really greaves me to think of the skills that have been lost, the reason to bring so-called tradesmen in was mainly because of my physical inability to do the job, I forget how many times the Admiral said that I could have done a better job,even if it killed me, is there a cryptic message here, not sure.

Mike, I really don't have any plans to put sails on her at the moment, I know there is a mixed bag of thoughts / feelings on this issue but I'm afraid it's not for me at this time.

My skills are not up to that standard yet and full kudos to all those who are able to. I envy you.

I did have a second little project going which was to put a workroom up in the loft, this has now been done but there is still a lot of tweaking to do, worktops, electrics and lighting have all been sorted, toys are all up there and have been used and I still have a space issue, improvements will be on going as and when I think of them.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

I think back to all the things my admiral and I did together,  when we owned our house....those are fond memories.   cripes I remember the all-nighters I pulled..........fueled by beer.   the admiral would down out on me around midnight.....but I didn't mind.   we did the hard stuff during the day......and painting all night!   we enjoyed it!   I hate being a renter........so much I want to do,  but the place is not mine to do all this.  we hope to get our own place one of these days.....we were happier that way  :)   we did things the way we wanted them to be,  and we reveled in our accomplishments.

if we ever did what we wanted to do.............she is now disabled..........I would more or less be on my own,  but I would be happy.......I'd be doing it for her.......even though I'm not the spring chicken I used to be ;)   take pride,  my friend...........and now your back to your leisure, and back where you love to be............it's a wonderful feeling though......isn't it?  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Mobbsie,

Continued fine work! I find myself using the like button quite a bit to reduce the distance between pics.

Cheers,

Jin

Completed      Robert E Lee, Misisssippi riverboat               

Completed,  HMS Victory Bow Section

Completed,  Wells Fargo Stagecoach...Picasa album.... 

Completed,  Lackawanna tugboat converted to private yacht...

Completed:  Sopwith Camel, 1:16 Scale, Model Airways...at another location...

Completed:  1961 Ferrari F-1 Sharknose

Completed: (sorta)  OcCre BR-18 Locomotive

Completed: 1/35 Pz.KPfw.III

Completed: Allerton Steam Pumper circa 1869

Always very enjoyable to catch up with this wonderful build!

Well done, Daniel

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

Thank you Martin for your very kind words, much appreciated.

I don't understand when you say you don't know if you'll finish your Aggie or not, yes she is a big ship, yes she is an advanced build and yes she can be difficult at times but isn't that the reason we build these ships.

We all make a promise when we start a new project which is to "Do the best we can to do the best we can". We all of us make mistakes and we correct them, not one builder no matter who he/she is can say they haven't, it's just a matter of how we deal with it.

You will finish your Aggie and it will be to the best of your ability, you will be pleased with the result because you would have done your best and that's all any of us can do, so go on and get stuck in and "Do the best you can to do the best you can".

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Hello Mobbsie,

Thank you very much for your positive encouragement. Of course I will do my best, but sometimes I have that fear that I might get stuck somwhere and the mistake cannot be corrected. I have not reached such a point yet, but who knows...But you are right. It is probably counterproductive to indulge oneself in these thoughts. 

Best wishes,

Martin

Hi Martin,

I'll say it again mate, open a build log, that way we can all help if you need it, lets face it we all need a little help and encouragement from time to time, we may even be able to prevent you from making that fatal mistake.

Wood can be a very forgiving medium and it's a very rare case where a mistake cannot be rectified, as the builder we may not see how but stick on the forum and you will receive a bucket load of help, but to do that you need a log.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Nice words Tony..... they apply to all of us !!.....( especially me) :P

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Martin,

When working in wood, virtually ALL mistakes can be corrected. Not a happy prospect, to be sure, but true. However, sometimes it takes skill and effort beyond the basic modeler (as well as extra pieces-parts). BUT...this is how you learn. As I tell people when I am demonstrating ship modeling, I have not made a model yet where I have not needed to pull it apart at some point. In my younger days, I would work around it and would settle for 'whatever'. Now I endeavour to fix it, before the error compounds.

Mobbsie is correct. Post your build here and if there aer any issues you will get plenty of knowledgable feedback.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Hello Chuck and mobbsie,

I guess I have to finally start a log. It will take some time, however. Because I will face probably more difficulties in creating a log  than building the Agamemnon  :-(  , but I have the camera equipment here already . Unfortunately I completely left it to my former wife to use the camera and upload pictures. I think I will start by reading the instruction manual ;)  ...It is a Lumix panasonicDMC-FZ 30 by the way.

Have fun everybody,

Martin 

Hi Martin,

Way to go mate, it's not difficult to open a log, just follow the instructions given.

Camera details, sounds as if it may be complicated but you may just as well speak an alien language, I'm afraid I'm one of these clever men who don't need to read the instructions, I know how it works, that is until it doesn't do what it says and then it's the camera's or other equipment's fault and never mine. :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  

Stick with it mate and all will come good in the end.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

I don't use a big expensive camera.......I have a little pocket camera......has auto focus and a reasonable facsimile to zoom {enough for me},  and it has served me well for a few years now.   it has a removable memory card in it........or I can upload the pictures into my computer via the docking system.   the only bad thing is......I have to keep going back for  'double takes'  because the darn thing keeps showing me things I didn't see  :D  :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

speaking of that...........what have you been up to Mobbsie?   are you still working on the loft..........is there more progress on your build?

Sjors has been talking about visiting you again...........will there be pictures as well?  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Guys,

Denis

I have a Samsung Digimax L60 if that means anything but to be honest I get better results from my iPhone.

To answer your questions mate, the work on the loft has largely been completed although there is always little bits and pieces that need doing, it's not pretty but it's functional, I have lighting, mains power, and ventilation but I still have open beams, rough concrete block walls and cobwebs, thousands of cobwebs.

Anja and Sjors are definitely visiting very soon, in fact they arrive here on the 27th of this month, I'll pick them up from the port at 06:45 for a 2 week stay. First week we are going of to the Lake District and then it's back home for the second week, we will be celebrating Sjors 65th birthday and my Admirals and my 40th wedding anniversary. You better believe there will be pictures, lots of pictures, you never know I may even be in some of them, now that really is something to look forward to.

As far as the Aggie is concerned I'm just getting back into the swing of this after the refurbs, I am going to post an update with this and so I'll go into what I have done since getting back into it.

All the ratlines are now complete, the Mizzen, Main and Fore Mast Topgallant Shrouds are fitted and tied off, Shroud cleats are all fitted, Bowsprit Shrouds have the deadeyes tied and have been tied off and the Bowsprit Bobstays are all tied off and finally the Figurehead has been fixed on.

The ratlines gave me the biggest headache, I had the ship on a very low stool and I was still working at shoulder height, arms felt like lead by the time I was finished for each day, because of this they took longer than I would have liked.

Another part that I found awkward was tying off the Topgallant Shrouds to the platform deadeyes, whilst In the process of doing them I bashed the Mizzen Topgallant on one of my shelves which didn't do it a lot of good but I was able to repair the damage thankfully.

So some pictures of where I'm at.

First off the ratlines and topgallant shrouds

post-493-0-39599300-1402408207_thumb.jpg    post-493-0-34919900-1402408265_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-78869800-1402408287_thumb.jpg    post-493-0-42065900-1402408310_thumb.jpg

Next up Figurehead, Bowsprit Shrouds and Bowsprit Bobstays

post-493-0-71860300-1402408438_thumb.jpg    post-493-0-67648000-1402408460_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-74022000-1402408483_thumb.jpg    post-493-0-71920900-1402408509_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-38830600-1402408525_thumb.jpg

So there we have it, your as up to date as I am.

My next task will be the Topmast Stays and the Topgallant Stays, I still have to do the backstays but I'm leaving them as long as possible so I have more access inside, at least that's the theory.

Be Good

mobbsie

Edited by mobbsie

mobbsie

Nice work all around.  I can understand how those rat lines wore you down, considering the height you had to work at.

Best wishes to Sjors, Anja as well as you and the Admiral for all the milestones!  I thought Sjors was only to be 58 but I guess he's aged quickly this last year!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Augie,

Ya, 58 going on 65, an old 65.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Gnomes are like that,  you know.......{although,  he's pretty tall for a Gnome......that's why he lives in the big house}  :D  :D

thanks for the updated pictures......you didn't have to,  I was just wondering if you had any playtime,  with all the changes you were making.      your ratlines look really nice.........Aggie is looking really great!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Mobbsie, incredible work on Aggie! You rigging is very clean and the figurehead is outstanding. 

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Real  nice!! Tony.... you do excellent ratlines  ... and ,everything else looks pretty good too!! ( I have to be careful and not give you too much praise because I don't want you to loose your initiative to always do better!! ) :P :P

Congrats to you and the Mrs,and Sjors on celebrating your special day. Have fun on your holiday!!!

Frank

USRC "ALERT"