HMS Agamemnon by mobbsie - FINISHED - Caldercraft / Jotika - 1/64

OK, now for the main event

.post-493-0-69976400-1414598276_thumb.jpg  post-493-0-01575900-1414598320_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-93139400-1414598356_thumb.jpg  post-493-0-43066400-1414598386_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-61248600-1414598421_thumb.jpg  post-493-0-33438400-1414598446_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-74527900-1414598473_thumb.jpg  post-493-0-47532600-1414598501_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-95347500-1414598549_thumb.jpg  post-493-0-40291900-1414598593_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-24521000-1414598631_thumb.jpg  post-493-0-27322300-1414598666_thumb.jpg

So there we go, all done. I hope those who followed enjoyed the journey and I thank you again for your help and support.

See you all in the next log I hope, that will be opened on Saturday. For those that don't already know it's the 1/48 scale Bomb Vessel Granado cross section. This is a scratch build so I'm venturing into dark and unknown side of this hobby, not on my own I might add, Grant and Jack Panzeca will be taking the journey with me, should be fun.

So for now I'll say adios amigo's, see you soon.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

man ,that's quite a difference in size.... You amaze me at the speed that you work at, it took me 2 yrs to do my dinky Supply, and you did the Aggie in less time , and... the Badger in 4 months...UNBELIEVABLE!!!! Tony you're the greatest!! :cheers:  By the way, beautiful work.

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Mobbsie,

your HMS Agamemnon is fantastic !

Congratulations to the completion of this wonderful build, a delight to look at....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Really looks great Tony, what a great masterpiece. Congrats Dude!

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Congratulations my friend !!!!!

She's a real beauty and when I can make my Aggy 10 % from what you have done I'm happy as I can be !

Thanks for the ride those 19 months and I will follow you for sure with your journey to the dark side  :D  :D

Give your Aggy a nice place and be proud of it !

Sjors

Edited by Sjors

Tony -

Words fail me.  She is absolutely amazing - CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

graphics-fireworks-399589.gif

You have every reason to feel proud of this "slab sided beast".  You, sir, have done well!!!

picgifs-clapping-181178.gif

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Well done.  No wonder you have no more room.  She is huge and when she is enclosed,  the case will take up more room.  Hopefully you have a mantle or shelf that will hold the weight.  As for time spent.  look at the size and complexity of the Aggy and the Badger.  I was passing a yard sale last year and saw a kit of the Agememnon going dirt cheap.  I was sorry I did not gt a that price, but later when I was looking at my work table I found out I did not have the room to do her justice and no where to display her.  You did her justice I would like to see her in Manitowoc.  Now for a bottle of champagne to celebrate her launching.

David B

Edited by dgbot

Congratulations Mobbsie !!  She is beautiful.  It would have taken me more than 19 ½ months.  I dropped in late but enjoyed every minute I was there.  An accomplishment to be proud of.

See you on the dark side.

:10_1_10:      :champagne-2::champagne:

Jack

"I Love the smell of sawdust in the morning" apologies to John Melius

Current Build:      Bomb Vessel Granado, 1742 - Cross Section Scratch Build 

Previous Builds:  Oseberg Billing Boats 9th Century Viking Ship Modified

Bluenose ll, AL, Lightly Bashed

Louisa Morrison Half Hull, Scratch Build

Photography Website:     http://www.27birds.com

Congratulations Mobbise - what a wonderful achievement. She looks absolutely fantastic and those shots alongside Badger are amazing! I can't believe it only took you 19 months to build - that's 12 times as fast as my Victory! I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to our "group" build, though you'll have put get used to a much more sedate and stately pace! I'll see you on the dark side this weekend. :)

Book me a seat on the CONGRATULATIONS train.  Just a masterpiece Tony ----- take a well deserved bow, with great pride.

I'm sure we'll cross paths in future.  Best of luck on the Dark Side!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Beautiful, magnificent.   I'm running out of words, Tony as they've all been taken.  We'll be waiting for you on the dark side young Mobbsie.. post-76-0-84175300-1414623753.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

congrats Mobsie, what a stunning masterpiece :)

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

hello mobbsie    its a beautiful master piece  u have done a great job on the build 

Edited by dragzz

Well done Mobbsie she looks absolutely stunning love the stand I think Diana could end up on a Mobbsie stand I totally see your end off build thoughts I will have a completely different next build a WW11 Hunt Class Destroyer.

Ray

Current build A set of HMS Diana`s boats @ 1/48

HMS Royal Marine a Military class Trawler

Completed  HMS Diana

Completed build The Lady Nelson

Completed Build HMS Pegasus

Thank you all so very much Ladies and Gents, in the most I have enjoyed this journey and in many ways it has set me up for my next build, The Bomb Vessel Granado Cross Section ( scratch ).

You all have kept my spirits up when I felt at times that she was overwhelming me and I thank you for that, we all need encouragement from time to time and you didn't fail me.

I am looking forward to working alongside both Grant and Jack on this group project and if anybody wishes to join in please do, it doesn't matter if you have already started, your experience and knowledge will be welcomed with open arms.

I invite you one and all to join the 3 of us as we enter the DARK SIDE.

Ray, the stand is really easy to make mate and you can let your imagination run riot with it. A question :- Will your Destroyer be a scratch or is there a kit for it, I ask because I have just been given a boxful of ships drawings and deck layouts and there are details for destroyers in there ?. I haven't seen any schematics yet but then again I've only had the box a 1/2 hour so you never know.

David, I only have one place I can display her, that is the sideboard in my lounge. The sideboard is 6ft long and when the Aggy is on it there will only be approx. 3 inches each end, so I would strongly advise prospective builders to check for display areas  before the ship is purchased. I forgot to mention that I have to pull the sideboard away from the wall by 5 inches to allow for the base.

That's it guys, this journey ends and another begins, they say all journeys start with the first step so, see you all on the DARK SIDE.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

Magnificent!!

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Mobbsie: Congrats on a job well done. Seeing her completed is giving me that impetus to finish my Aggy as well. A lot of work and lot of focus in that model. My hat goes off to ya

Again.. congrats with the completion of the Aggy

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

Hi Chuck / Mike

Thanks Chuck, we did have our moments though as you can imagine.

Mike,

Thank you mate for your kind words. Like most builds of this size all the emotions come into play from time to time, because of her size you'd think she would be easy to work on but she has her demands the same as smaller ships so concentration is a must.

There are things I would do differently but don't we all say that, there are aspects of her that I would change but a lack of forethought and limitations in the skill department dictate a lot of what I do, each build is a learning curve and we all gain from that and it doesn't matter if your in the top echelon of builders or just starting the journey. 

She's a lovely ship to build so enjoy all you do on her and I know she will come out a first class ship and definitely one to be proud of.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Congratulations on a fantastic job my friend. She looks absolutely beautiful.

you've been an inspiration to me. I've about 2 month left on my Aggy now

and without you to follow I think there's been a couple of times I would

have given up.

You say your going to display her in a case. couldn't let me know the

details size, price ect.

Once again well done mate and good luck with the next project.  

All the best.

George   

Morning George,

Thanks very much mate, appreciated and I'm glad I was able to help whilst building her, if you should have any questions please don't hold back.

To answer your question regarding displaying her, she will be under glass and displayed in my lounge.

It's a bit of a saga mate.

The size, I'll do metric if that's ok.

4mm Toughened Glass with polished edges, Sides 2 @ 1372 x 1016,  Ends 2 @ 559 x 1016, Top 1 @ 1372 x 567, Base 1 @ 1397 x 592

the price I got from Kent Blaxill in Colchester, the cost from them for 4mm toughened glass with polished edges was £353.00 inc VAT. For them to actually make the case was £15.00 per bonding =  8 bonds @ £15.00 each = £120 + VAT + labour, total = £550.00.

I must mention here that my friend purchased the glass for me through his company which saved me a bit of money.

The base as I say is Cherry, the size is approximate because my friend is going to cut it down and make it to fit the case, 1397 x 592 x 15.

I decided this was too much so just purchased the glass with the intension of putting it together myself, I mean how hard can it be. I gave it up as a bad job and decided to get K. B. to make the case, I took the glass back following a phone call and left it with them, I was then told they couldn't bond 4mm glass that size, they would only do it with 6mm, no way was I going to scrap what I had and so I gave it to a very good friend of mine who is going to make a wooden frame for it. He is also going to make the base, he has some Cherry which he is going to use.

I also checked out a plastic case but this worked out dearer than glass, so the lessen learned is, if I  want to bond a case this size get 6mm glass and don't try to do it myself.

So there we go my friend, I hope that helps mate.

The last post I saw from you was when you completed your Ratlines so we must be due an update by now. I hope you have become accustomed to them being black, I think they look great.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Mobbsie: Thanks for the reply. I agree a larger size model does provide a whole new set of challenges. For me it introduces a new level of detail that you have to consider. Personally I really like working on larger battle wagons but it does require more of your time. Pat yourself on the back that you have survived the Aggy experience. For me.. while Im nearly done the hull construction I know I have a lot of ratlines ahead of me! :-)

MIKE

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild