HMS PEGASUS by rdsaplala - Victory Models - 1/64 - A bit of bashing with TFFM

Hi to all :piratebo5:

First of all, a big thanks to the Admin and Moderators for their efforts in upgrading this site, keep up the good work guys B)

I've been working on this kit, which I fondly named "Peggy-Sue", for more than a year now, squeezing in what little model-building time I have after work and family responsibilities.

The kit will build into an excellent ship right out of the box, but I decided that I would add some modifications to make it as historically accurate as my skills would allow. To do these, I will be using the excellent TFFM books by David Antscherl, the original NMM draught of HMS Pegasus and some pictures of contemporary models/paintings.

DSC04920_zps3793ea34.jpg

DSC02451.jpg

I also read up on a couple of Ship Modelling books to improve my knowledge on these magnificent vessels:

DSC02761Medium.jpg

Going back to Pegasus, the kit has been a fun project so far, materials are of very nice quality and fit of the parts is top-notch.

I'm a bit lazy to re-write my whole log so will just summarize all that I have done.

I started with the usual set of bulkheads fitted to the keel as seen below:

msw002.jpg

This was followed by the following events, occurred more or less in chronological order:

-applied gunport patterns and pricked myself with the nails followed by a lot of foul words :rolleyes:

-applied first planking basically violating every planking rule known to men ;) 

-reduced the briddle port size to TFFM dimensions and moved it further forward.

-applied second planking, which looked like it had been done by my 2 year-old kid :blush: 

-removed the bulkhead extensions, made some false frames using some scrap wood attached inside the bulwarks to thicken it (I hope to later plank over these false frames, attach some FC and QD deck beams and hanging knees to replace the kit provided parts)

-my original second planking was simply unacceptable so I decided to remove the stem and keel for re-planking, resulting to irreparable damage to these parts.... THIS WAS FOLLOWED BY EVEN MORE FOUL WORDS! :angry:  

-bought the HMS Fly and donated her keel to Pegasus to allow re-planking... resulting to foul words from the Admiral for the added expense :wacko:

-

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Hi Aldo,

Nice to see your log back up my friend. I look forward to seeing some further updates.

GREAT to have you back mate !!!!!!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks for the kind words, Robert, Sjors, Augie and B.E., I appreciate it  :)

To continue my synopsis, HMS Fly has finally arrived and so I took her keel, stem and stern post and transplanted them to Pegasus, the operation was a success and Peggy Sue is in the pink of health again ;)

DSC04916_zpsacbb8682.jpg

DSC04922_zps2b54758d.jpg

DSC04925_zpsd8f88e01.jpg

While re-planking Pegasus, I thought I'd squeeze in another modification by redoing her quarterbadge...

The kit's quarterbadge, while beautifully done, seems a bit flat when compared to the TFFM plans and the quarterbadge of the contemporary model of HMS Atalanta, a sister-ship of Pegasus:

Kit Quarterbadge

PegasusV5Web_zpsa3167096.jpg

HMS Atalanta Quarterbadge

atalanta4_zps405dea8a.jpg

Thus, using the TFFM plans, I decided to make a new quarterbadge to which, I will add the kit provided windows and pillasters:

DSC04852_zpsb34d6f6f.jpg

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:

Past build:

Hello Aldo,

You're back with Peggy …….. Great!

Take your time uploading.  I have a great seat on the front row.  And my coffee is being served right now.

Looking forward to your updates.

Take care,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Hi Aldo.... Glad to see you on board....... like I told you before at the old MSW, your planking job is superb... can't wait to see your progress.... talk at you later

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Thanks for the good word Anja, Eric, Ben and Frank  :)

For my final update.... right now, I'm almost done re-planking the outer hull and these last pictures finally bring my build-log to her current status:

post-256-0-69605400-1361125197_thumb.jpgpost-256-0-83089300-1361125317_thumb.jpgpost-256-0-33303700-1361125321_thumb.jpgpost-256-0-49995200-1361125234_thumb.jpg

Here is the inside portion showing the mutilation, I mean modification, I've done... it's still quite messy now with all those scrap wood to make up the false frame, but hopefully will look cleaner once planked. The dowels on the bow area serve as temporary supports while the proper deck beams and hanging knees are not yet in place.

post-256-0-58611400-1361125624_thumb.jpgpost-256-0-46586600-1361125616_thumb.jpgpost-256-0-80970700-1361125620_thumb.jpg

Edited by rdsaplala

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:

Past build:

She's looking great, Aldo.  Good to see you back, my friend.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the warm welcome, my friend, it's great to be back :)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:

Past build:

Wow Aldo!

Neat planking!

Redoing all that was worth it in the end.

I would never have the patience to do the planking a second (third) time... 

Bummer!

Hello there, Bummer, my friend, thanks for the good word, I wouldn't have needed to do a "third" planking if I weren't such a hard headed gruff and used PVA from the start, as advised by other builders, this is something I plan to do for my MKII (HMS Fly). You made a good choice of planing to use PVA on Amphion, you won't regret it, mate ;)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:

Past build:

Nice job on the planking Aldo, looking good  :)

B.E.

Thanks B.E. I'm inspired by your excellent modifications on your ship, hope you won't mind if I borrow a few of your techniques/modifications :)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:

Past build:

One word Aldo - NICE!

Thanks for the kind word, Grant, there's still a lot of room for improvement with regards to the shades, run and shape of the planks, I hope to resolve some of these issues on my MK II (HMS Fly) :)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:

Past build:

Hi Aldo,

Glad you've got your log back up and running.  Your planking work came out great...foul words and patience pay off in the end!  Thanks for your comment on my build.  Keep up the good work.

Patrick

Thanks Patrick, I just hope the foul words don't become a habit :D Thanks for dropping by as well as your kind comments, I appreciate it :)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:

Past build:

Very nice planking and I really like the overall appearance you are creating.  Well done mate!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Aldo

Great build and superb quarter badge! I look forward to your further improvements and regret that it’s too late to include them myself.

Thank you for sharing.

Take care

Peter

Hello Augie, Arthur, Peter and Wim,

Thanks for dropping  by  as well as the kind words, guys, I appreciate it :)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:

Past build:

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to see you back, that is some great planking job.

I have one question, during the second planking, from below the gun ports, you used five planks which were in the front untapered, right? Would you do that again, or would you start tapering them sooner?

1st build - HMS Race Horse (Sergal)

Current build - HMS Fly (Victory/Amati)