For anyone interested, Modellers Shipyard (in Australia) currently has this seminal work available for $50 (AUD). They also have several of the AOTS series availed at $59. I've no idea of shipping costs, and I have no connection with the company.

Here is a link:

http://www.modelshipyard.com.au/books/

• 2 weeks later...

At the time of writing this post, this book is also available new via Amazon.co.uk, starting at £21.74. 

As Grant says, it is a seminal work and, at the time of first publication, one of the finest ship model making books to have been written, though it still remains a classic even if books on ship model making have progressed significantly since the mid 1950s.

Longridge's model of HMS Victory was donated to The Science Museum, South Kensington, London, with his equally impressive Cutty Sark. I don't know whether they are still on display as it's been some years since I last visited the museum. Sadly, the last time I did see them they were both suffering from damage which looked very much like it was the result of warping, probably because some materials had not seasoned sufficiently at the time of the build. It could also be that Longridge's workshop was prone to damp.

Edited by Torrens

Michael

member of
United States Naval Institute

Royal United Services Institute

Society for Nautical Research
Navy Records Society

author of
The Art of Nautical lllustration - A Visual Tribute to the Classic Marine Painters, 1991, 2001 & 2002
United States Coast Guard barque Eagle, 2013 (Blurb Photobook)

former assistant editor of the quarterly journal and annual 
Model Shipwright and Shipwright 2010

What a waste of space.  Why would anyone want to look at a display of cell phones.  Ship models are better looking and have more class.

David B

Sad, of course it is.  But think about it.  In 100 years people will look at these phones and shake their heads in amazement at how people had to use a hard device to communicate rather than telepathy or whatever they will be using by then.  It will be as interesting to them as ship models are to us.   That said, ship models are by far more beautiful and the intricate details that we see were made lovingly by hand, not robotic arms.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I find it incredible and beyond comprehension that the ship model gallery at the Science Museum has closed, and this has nothing to do with my subjective interest in ships, because it was via water that civilisations came together and, in most cases, developed positively as a race!

I wonder in what state Longridge's models are now in, or will be in in a few years time - and indeed the other, older models from the collection are in (the museum has a small but important collection of models from the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries). We can only hope the storage facilities are well-controlled in terms of humidity, etc.

Michael

member of
United States Naval Institute

Royal United Services Institute

Society for Nautical Research
Navy Records Society

author of
The Art of Nautical lllustration - A Visual Tribute to the Classic Marine Painters, 1991, 2001 & 2002
United States Coast Guard barque Eagle, 2013 (Blurb Photobook)

former assistant editor of the quarterly journal and annual 
Model Shipwright and Shipwright 2010

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

I first purchased this book in 1981, some time ago 2or 3 years ago I lent it to someone......The operative word here is someone.....and I did not write it down, I cannot remember who it was and so a few weeks ago I ordered a new copy, it arrived this afternoon, I am a happy camper this evening.

IMG_5126x1024.thumb.jpg.7f2211f412cc7e18e193169aa142c4d8.jpg

What a great resource this book is, and i just love the fold out drawings of the rigging.

Just wanted to share my joy.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Bragging rights here: I own a now very dilapidated first edition copy - dust jacket long gone - which I purchased in 1955 with a book token won in a Model Engineer math competition. I was all of ten years old at the time! I read it cover to cover many times over. It's still a great classic.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

I am not sure if it is just my memory, but it seems to me that the photographs in this copy are no where near as crisp and sharp as the ones in my 1981 copy.

Druxey a first edition, I am envious. The only book I ever won was "Metals in the Service of Man" for getting my O level metalwork when I was 14.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Sounds like you have a special edition Roger.

Michael

4 hours ago, michael mott said:

The only book I ever won was "Metals in the Service of Man" for getting my O level metalwork when I was 14.

Now we can begin to understand better the origins of your superb metalwork Michael!!!

ordered my copy yesterday!

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

• 7 months later...