Niagara by lb0190 - Model Shipways - 1/64

The US Brig Niagara is my second build. Just the possibility of completing a build of this level is due to the sharing of experience and advice from the many talented people on MSW!

post-277-0-29870200-1361107121_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-08250600-1361107123_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-90140600-1361107124_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-92321700-1361107126_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-96572200-1361107128_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-70876300-1361107130_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

More photos...

post-277-0-34268100-1361108189_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-95804100-1361108202_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-01591200-1361108215_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-83254500-1361108225_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-06941000-1361108235_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-37566300-1361108253_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

More photos...

post-277-0-83228400-1361108368_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-53062000-1361108370_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-23698900-1361108372_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-45097800-1361108374_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-30526100-1361108376_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

GREAT to see the Niagaras making a comeback!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Larry, It's good to see this log back up. I'll be happy to weigh in with advice on your stern.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Thank you Patrick. I appreciate your help. The photos below show where I believe I have issues and need to add or remove material. I was very hesitant to make any adjustments without advice.

post-277-0-60432600-1361118422_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-50281900-1361118424_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-78508800-1361119043_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-97168200-1361119045_thumb.jpg

Edited by lb0190

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Larry, I believe the profile of the corner filler blocks should match the horn timbers on the counter and ceiling. I do remember that those filler blocks were a royal PITA. I feel like there is something I'm not remembering completely though. It'll make more sense when I get home and look at my plans and compare to my Niagara. 

Thanks,

Patrick

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

I don't know what I'd do about a stern for my Niagara then. Guess that'd be my problem though, huh?   :huh:  When I get home from work I'll take a look at things  and see if I can remember tackling that. Maybe there are some other opinions out there?

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Larry, check out the Niagara by Bahama Diver. Some of his pictures show exactly the area of the stern that you are working on. It looks like the profiles of the corner filler blocks match the horn timbers.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Larry,  Patrick is exactly correct.  The stern filler blocks must be level with the horn timbers.  getting the shape of these filler blocks was one of the most difficult activities of the build.  Take your time and shape slowly.  I will add some photos of that pert of my build on my build log.  Also feel free to ask me any questions and I will help as much as I can.

Edited by Bahamas Diver

David 

Current build: US Brig Niagara

Completed builds:  Oseberg Viking Ship - Billing Boats

Armed Virginia Sloop - Model Shipways

The Phantom - Model Shipways

Next project:  Amati's Xebec

A ship has all the discomforts and lack of privacy of a jail with none of its safety or stability - Benjamin Franklin

Quis custodiet ipso custodes?

The past few days have been primarily, rework on the stern. The stern filler blocks now match the profile of the horn timbers better than before. I appreciate the help, encouragement and photos from my fellow Niagara builders in getting me through this area of the build.

Several times I've also continued playing an interesting game called “break off a horn timber and glue it back on”. I can hardly wait to get them covered with planks so they are protected.

Next is to do a little more sanding around the filler blocks, finish up the stern framing and move on to the waterway.

Like always, comments, suggestions or "watch out for that tree" warnings are appreciated. Now the real test is how many of you remember George of the jungle cartoons?

post-277-0-08073900-1361378412_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-68978200-1361378413_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-21607900-1361378415_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Larry, your corner filler blocks look good. I too played that interesting little game you got so much enjoyment out of. I'd be willing to bet that most Niagara builders get to play too. It won't be long before you are planking away on her.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

HI Larry, your build is moving right along, Like Patrick said, nice job on those filler blocks, I have a hard time with those buggers.

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Larry:  your filler timbers are looking good.  Most of us had problems of one sort or another with this method. Doing 3d carving with complex curves is not the easiest task.  However, it is good practice. I think if I were redoing this build, I might do the stern with quasi-frames to build up the correct shape. 

Robert

Glad to see you Niagara guys pulling together!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

hi larry........I'm not too late for the party.........you haven't finished the ship yet.....Good,  I haven't missed it!  your frame looks very good,  but I'm afraid that I can't help you much on  your dilemma........guess you'll have to ask the tokie tokie bird :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Time has been scarce for working on the Niagara, but I've made a little progress. I still need to sand the rough areas and I'm not happy with the aft gun ports but I'm hoping some sanding here and there will clean it up. Please let me know if you see any "what the..."   Your advice and opinions are always welcome.

post-277-0-63188500-1361719694.jpg

post-277-0-66290100-1361719701.jpg

post-277-0-39663000-1361719703.jpg

post-277-0-68638600-1361719704.jpg

post-277-0-22102700-1361719706.jpg

post-277-0-64459600-1361719707.jpg

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

That's a good looking stern Larry. Your gun-ports look good as well. You're just about ready to start planking. We'll have a 'ready-for-battle' Niagara in no time.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

I have a question I would appreciate some feedback on. I working on my waterways (three pieces on each side) and the instructions say glue all three parts together at the scarf joints then trim to fit. Would it be easier to trim and fit one piece at a time prior to gluing them together. It looks that way to me, including gluing down each piece separately. I hesitate to proceed with this approach without some input from my experienced friends on MSW.

I also plan on painting the waterway before gluing it in place.

Edited by lb0190

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Larry-  I'm not sure if it's technically correct but I did exactly what you are proposing and it came out fine.  The only difference was I stained my waterways to match the deck rather than painting to match the bulwark.....but I also did that beforehand.

Suggest you wait for other opinions.

Edited by Augie

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Larry, you could always try a hybrid approach. Try installing the waterways as you are thinking (piece by piece), and then, since the deck isn't in place yet, do any filling, sanding and painting. I wish I had approached it in this manner, but I was too impatient with getting it together. Hindsight is 20/20.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Larry,

I took the approach that Patrick suggested.  I made sure everything dry fitted together before gluing.  I also painted thw water way pieces before installing and gluing it on.   

David 

A ship has all the discomforts and lack of privacy of a jail with none of its safety or stability - Benjamin Franklin

It feels like I'm making slow progress and posting small steps, but I'm moving fwd instead of backwards - at least 60% of the time. Tonight I also broke off another one of those #$&^$#%beep beep PIA timberhorns. At least they glue back on pretty easy. Well, enough sniveling and on with the update.

A close family member gave me an airbrush she no longer used, so I gathered up the parts needed to make it operational and used it on my waterways. The results are much nicer than what I can do with a brush. I used Model Expo water based acrylic, thinned down with distilled water. This is the first time I've used an airbrush and was very pleased being able to apply thin even coats paint.

I only have three photos tonight showing two of the three waterways in place on the starboard side. You can see where the timberhorn is missing behind the red clamp. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get the third piece on, then start on the port side waterways.

I'll touch up the paint as soon as the plansheers are in place. I'm kind of on the fence regarding paint first then glue in place. I may diviate from that plan for the port side.

Question

I used a pencil to highlight the waterway scarf joint, not really knowing if it should be visible or blended to the point it's difficult to see. Your thoughts???

post-277-0-53747100-1362100346.jpg

post-277-0-95388700-1362100347.jpg

post-277-0-12776300-1362100349.jpg

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

An airbrush......something I never tried.  May be time to think about that.

I have no idea on the waterway scarph joint.  I blended mine in but there no saying that's correct.  Glad you asked the question as we'll both get an answer!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Larry, the waterways look really good and very clean. Since all of the wood at this point is going to be covered with planking, you might try installing those waterways and then airbrushing them in place. I really do like airbrushed finishes better but since I can only use our living room for this hobby it's not really an option for me. 

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Hi Augie and Patrick,

Thanks fpr looking in. I'll probably keep the highlighted scarf joints for the time being. I can wait to see what comments I get and see what it looks like as I add parts. It would be easy to blend them in later if needed.

I'll glue in the waterways in on the port side without paint, as Patrick suggested, then decide which process appealed to me more. My dislikes on painting them first was; I just hated nicking up the paint when I installed them even though touch up is not an issue, plus I kept catching myself painting surfaces where I had to apply glue. Live and learn...

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

is there a deck platform to plank on, or do you just plank over the existing frame?  does the waterway need to be beveled in any way?

I don't think there any problem with scarf jointing....it's a much stronger joint,  and it looks nice when finished out

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

is there a deck platform to plank on, or do you just plank over the existing frame?  does the waterway need to be beveled in any way?

I don't think there any problem with scarf jointing....it's a much stronger joint,  and it looks nice when finished out

Hi Popeye,

I hope you are doing well. This kit does not have a false deck, but I did consider adding one at one time. As far as I'm aware, the waterway only had to be beveled at the outside lower corner and also the timberhorns to increase contact area with the waterway. I'll review the instructions and plans to see if I missed anything.

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Looking good Larry! The waterway does not get a bevel on the deck side. As for the visible scarf joints, I'm not sure there is a right or wrong way, but personally I like to see them....I think they add interest.

If you are going to add a false deck remember you need to change all the measurements for the thickness of the deck planking. I thought this would be more difficult than just planking onto the bulkheads.

David