Name the Ship Game

RMS Olympic

Let's bring this old girl back, shall we?

Rules are simple:

1) Someone posts a picture of a ship, someone guesses the name of the ship. Whoever gets it right, posts the next picture. Make sure the name isn't showing.

2)  It is to the poster to follow the thread as long as its ship was not found, and to be the judge of the proposed solutions. So, without the consent of the poster, the next one is not to post a new ship.

3) If the ship's name isn't guessed in a fortnight, the same player will show a picture with the ship's name and post a new "name the Ship picture.

4)  If the player whose turn it is has not replied in a fortnight, then the previous winner gets to post again.

Here's an easy one to start off with:

bismarck1.jpg

Edited by mtaylor
Rules added.

Just thought I'd pop in here.  The rules on the old MSW were that the person who got the ship's name right, got to select and post the next ship.  Otherwise, there were tons of people popping in with "what's this ship" and even they didn't know the answer.  Since you are the founding "parents" of the game, you might want to think about some rules..... before things get too confusing.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello Mark,

Just thought I'd pop in here.  The rules on the old MSW were that the person who got the ship's name right, got to select and post the next ship.  Otherwise, there were tons of people popping in with "what's this ship" and even they didn't know the answer.  Since you are the founding "parents" of the game, you might want to think about some rules..... before things get too confusing.

Sorry, I didn't know that. But you are right. I think that's a good rule. It must not get confusing. So thanks for popping in.

@ RMS,

Because you started this topic, will you please add this rule to your first post? Thank you.

Or shall we start over?

Take care,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

I posted something just before they changed to the new dedicated MSWserver.

Apparently my post never reached it's destination....

I made two remarks

- the game was almost dead on MSW 1.0, so I'm not sure whether or not it will revive here. Many of the "major" players stopped playing (something like: we've seen/posted them all)

- another rule: to prevent misunderstandings and utter confusion: it is to the poster to follow the thread as long as its ship was not found, and to be the judge of the proposed solutions. So, without the consent of the poster, the next one is not to post a new ship.

And as a PS:

- don't forget to rename your pictures: the first one posted by PRM is named Bismarck 1.jpg, which gives it away rather easily :)

• 2 weeks later...

Soooooo ... who's turn is it ??

(CaptainSteve focuses his one good eye in RMS' direction)

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

As a sometime contributor to the old game, I'm glad to see it back.  As I recall, some cunning folk had some software that searched the net for similar images - cheating in my book. 

Current build: Lady Nelson

Because we have two new followers for this game ..... CaptainSteve and Neill, I permitted myself to post the next ship.

Just to get the game started again.

Here is my contribution.

Enjoy the search for the name.

Take care,

Anja

post-45-0-54709700-1362587017.jpg

Edited by Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

Hmmm...can rule out tug boats and clipper ships right off the bat...very pretty vessel, Anja - gonna need to do some pondering to find this one!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Hmmm ... I can see I am not going to be very good at this game ....

Anja, any hints ??

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Because we have two new followers for this game ..... CaptainSteve and Neill, I permitted myself to post the next ship.

Just to get the game started again.

Here is my contribution.

Enjoy the search for the name.

Take care,

Anja

Might I suggest an amendment to the game rules ??

If the player whose turn it is has not replied in, say, a fortnight, then the previous winner gets to post again.

Thoughts ??

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Hello CaptainSteve,

Might I suggest an amendment to the game rules ??

If the player whose turn it is has not replied in, say, a fortnight, then the previous winner gets to post again.

Thoughts ??

I think that's a great idea. I've asked our Moderator Mark if he would put the rules of the game on top of the page.

Take care,

Anja

PS- As for a tip ..... Look at what Spyglass wrote in his reply. Good luck!

Edited by Anja

I added and highlighted the rules.   :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello CaptainSteve,

I think that's a great idea. I've asked our Moderator Mark if he would put the rules of the game on top of the page.

Take care,

Anja

PS- As for a tip ..... Look at what Spyglass wrote in his reply. Good luck!

I'm still none the wiser. But I HAVE ruled out galleons, man-o-wars and ships-of-the-line ....

(Unless it's from the navy of a really, really small colonial power)

:)

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Congratulations Spyglass animaatjes-applaus-73650.gif

It is indeed Archangel, a Greek Perama. She was especially outfitted for underwater archeological work and was based in Greece. http://www.samlow.com/TSG.htm

It is now your turn to surprise us and send us on a ship chase.

Take care,

Anja

post-45-0-48362300-1362753474_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anja

Ooooh ... I've got one !! I've got one !!

Darn !!! It ain't my turn.

:bird-vi:

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Okay. I'm probably wrong, but I'm going to kick discussion off with this guess.

Here goes ...

Is it HMS Dreadnought ??

And if you also require the version, then first guess is - 1906.

Second guess is - 1875.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Did the english navy still have threir coat of arms on the bow by this time?

I think it's a USS ship around 1905....

and it's quite large: it has four funnels, HMS dreadnought has only two....

Jan

Edited by amateur

Is it the rossiya?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Corel Victory Cross section

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

And where are those turret guns ??

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)