Scottish Maid by Fraser - Hall's 1839 Clipper Schooner - 1/8th scale - Finished

Been laid off for a bit. Christmas, outdoor work etc. and got back from the UK with a nasty chest infection...terrific so now drugged up, chest infection seemingly abating. The barky is now on it's base and the base is pretty well painted..bits of foam to be added....

I've also got the first sail up - hooray, but haven't included a shot yet as I've had to get help (thanks Weflack) about the run of it's sheets.....details, always more details. More tomorrow, all being well!

A tops'l

IMG_7526_zps97230e22.jpg

Rather useful having it on it's base as it creates a bit of a buffer zone...

IMG_7533_zps1824fd7c.jpg

IMG_7535_zpsd726e37c.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I have fallen horribly behind with updates to my build. Catch up time! On of the major considerations with this build has been that of trying to produce a reasonable accurate rig. I have three sets of plans of various 19th c. Schooners and they all differ, a lot. So everything I do is accompanied by a fair bit of head scratching and research. However, progress continues. Fore tops'l up -

IMG_7562_zpsb438c4c5.jpg

Accompanied by a lot of tiny blocks, of course.

IMG_7560_zpsf751241e.jpg

and more sails...

IMG_7569_zps49abf2fd.jpg

...and a lot more lines! the reef pendants really try the patience.

IMG_7571_zps630245f8.jpg

They're a far cry from perfect...maybe next time, but they look quite good with a bit of light shining through.

IMG_7568_zps8793a26c.jpg

Generally, I think it's easier to get a sail laced to a yard, and then put up the yard. It's a good idea to make sure you have all the blocks needed in place first, unlike me. another lesson  learned.

IMG_7572_zps7868b2b4.jpg

So here's where I am now, a few sails, a stack of rigging, anchors and, shudder, a 17ft longboatleft to make. I think the open boat is going to be, uh, challenging

IMG_7579_zps40d0731b.jpg

IMG_7578_zpsa9ebbb42.jpg

The colour balance is way off here, the sea is not such a lurid blue!

Thanks for looking!

Thank you! OK...nearly at the end of the rigging now. WHEW! All of the sails ( at least all it's getting...) are up now. There's a bit of fettling left and the main mast shrouds need rattling down... I think a couple of days off and then start on her boat and anchors. Now, before anyone says anything, I know that there are undoubtedly errors and omissions in my rigging. It's been a bit of a struggle finding out what where and when. Since this is my first scratchbuilt sailing ship, I'm reasonably pleased with how it's going.

IMG_7607_zps2c168ca8.jpg

IMG_7604_zps9e76f0b5.jpg

IMG_7606_zps3fb0189d.jpg

Just found this log. Excellent work. She's a very pretty ship. I like the scale and the diorama style build too. Great job.

Beautiful!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

You should be pleased and proud.  She looks great!

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Ah, she's a fine boat and something to be proud of.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

• 1 month later...

Somehow missed this log as well. The sails come on nicely. How are they done ? I don't seem to have seen an explanation.

wefalck

Yes, please!  More detail on how the sails are done.  You are showing some fine work here and the details of how you are doing it would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

Ah, right, sorry about that, thought I had...duh...OK, here tis.

OK, Sailmaking for Dummies actually more like by a Dummy... Ain't rocket science, but um, ain't easy either... I've been doing a lot of experimenting...(read 'cocking up') I've tried various papers. Philip Reed uses tissue, but then he's working at a smaller scale. I kept ripping them. Daler Layout Paper, is strong, acid free and weighs in at 45g -thin- without being too fragile is what I'm using at the moment.

So watcha do is stain the paper a nice warm off-white with some yellow ochre water colour applied to both sides with an airbrush. I taped the paper to an old canvas stretcher so I could do both sides at once... Then, draw lines (both sides, and make sure they line up) to represent the panels that make up a sail, back then they were generally about 2ft. wide. It helps, a lot, to have patterns printed out to trace from. Layout paper is thin enough to see through to do this.

IMG_7272---Copy_zps68a5f3f6.jpg

I tried printing the lines out, but couldn't get an accurate enough line up to do both sides... Right. Cut out yer sail/s

The usual thing is to then put the sail onto the 'mould' a ceiling light glass cover, in this case, but a a plastic bowl giving a reasonable curve would be best.

IMG_7278---Copy_zps918be334.jpg

Then stretch a chunk of old tee-shirt over it and dry. A hair drier or fan heater is good at this point as blowing on it would probably be exhausting and take a long time...

IMG_7277---Copy_zps79c534f5.jpg

Then you'd start gluing on the relevent doubled bits, like the edging and banding where the reef points go through..

IMG_7278---Copy_zps918be334.jpg

In fact, I found that it worked OK to put all those bits on while it was still flat and then set in the curve. Here's a tops'l I made today. It's not quite right as it stuck slightly to the glass and shows a bit of damage so I'll be making yet another, but you get the idea: a translucent sail with the shadows of the tablings etc.

IMG_7526_zps97230e22.jpg

IMG_7528_zps03f1505c.jpg

The sails are then laced to the relevant yard or boom and given another splash with matt medium and tdried with a hair drier, which adds to the curve.

IMG_7573_zps41706625.jpg

After this there was a lot more block making...

IMG_7559_zps511ac6b9.jpg

IMG_7560_zpsf751241e.jpg

and rigging...

IMG_7562_zpsb438c4c5.jpg

IMG_7607_zps2c168ca8.jpg

Needless to say, much has been done since the last entry, Things have been a bit busy around here and I've gotten rather behind with postings.

IMG_7604_zps9e76f0b5.jpg

A boat had to be made. Here's the first hull half, roughly carved.

IMG_7615_zpscc9f0620.jpg

more shortly...

Guillemot,

I'm just discovering your beautiful work. Thanks for the explanation of how to manufacture sails without the use of a sewing machine! This opens all kinds of possibilities.

Also, I read that you're not entirely happy with the color of the water. That's not the first thing that catches the eye. What is more remarkable is the texture nd the way it meets the hull. That's all very realistic. Besides, the water takes on all kinds of different colors in different parts of the world; who is to say what is a correct color?

Tom

More on the boat... This is one of those jobs you start knowing that there's a fair chance you won't get it right first crack...Making sure the gouges are really razor sharp  - less likely to slip and get buried in your thumb...and using a very light touch help.The two halves were gouged out till they were thin enough to be translucent.

IMG_7612_zps4b14ddcf.jpg

IMG_7610_zps83093edb.jpg

Carved out and in... then a really thin bit of Degame  was cut to be the keel/deadwood/cutwater...2 attempts.

IMG_7616_zps09135e93.jpg

Then the interior was detailed.....

IMG_7619_zps59da3fcf.jpg

The hull planking is paper, think i might have used slightly thicker paper to make the 'clinker' more apparent. Now it just needs oarlocks cut, a rudder and oars, and paint and it can then be put onto the ship.

IMG_7618_zpsfb2a8b16.jpg

IMG_7630_zps5a23607d.jpg

Oars, 6 of them for the ship's boat. Printed out the blade shape, doubled which is then cut out, folded and glued to the shaft. Then painted and put into the boat

IMG_7680_zpsf4dc938e.jpg

Well done.  You make it seem so simple.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Very nice looking model I like the way you tackled the sails and the ships boat.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Blood, sweat and tears, mate! That's always the thing with WIPs, they get edited ;) Any time I try something new, like making sails, there's a stack of chuck outs, but we learn best through cock-ups, eh?

WOW! I thought I was the only one that had more trash than boat.  :P  :P

Bob

What did you draw the lines on the sails with?

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle