DeAgostini Victory problems with parts?

maaaslo

i have started to build HMS Victory by DeAgostini. before the forum crashed ive read somewhere that there was a problem with rib no.15. that it was out of shape and not fitting the frame correctly. is this true? as no.15 on my model does come out a bit and i am sure it is not because of my clumsiness... what do i need to do? conntact the manufacturer/packer for replacement?

thank you

pavol

Pavol stands for Paul, Pablo, Paolo etc. Please do not try to pronounce it, just call me Pav...

Pavol,

I don't know if you know of the DeAgostini Modelspace website but the Admin there, Tomick, gives detailed build instructions for both the Victory and Victory Centre Section builds. There is also a forum:

http://forum.model-space.co.uk/default.aspx?g=topics&f=17&p=2

Not sure if there are any answers there for your specific problem, but you never know. However, if you have come up against this, I'm sure others must have too.

Edited by Stockholm tar

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Hi Pavol

Pavol,

I don't know if you know of the DeAgostini Modelspace website but the Admin there, Tomick, gives detailed build instructions for both the Victory and Victory Centre Section builds. There is also a forum:

http://forum.model-space.co.uk/default.aspx?g=topics&f=17&p=2

Not sure if there are any answers there for your specific problem, but you never know. However, if you have come up against this, I'm sure others must have too.

There is a problem with rib 15.  As has been adviised, have a look at the build diaries on modelspace.

Heres the link to the official one by Tomick  http://forum.model-space.co.uk/default.aspx?g=topics&f=17&p=2

Also have a look at some of the other build diaries that have been going on for some years now.

(I have this one waiting in the wings too)

:Edit:  Forgot.... follow the Victory logs on here.  They are all excellent and full of good ideas and detail, and ask questions too all the members are very helpful.

All the best,

Bob

Edited by Bob Fraser

Bob

Current build Cutty Sark, Mini Mamoli

Finished  King of the Mississippi                     

No trees were harmed by this message, but an awful lot of electrons were put out.

Bob,

Thanks for adding that. I haven't actually had a detailed look at the forum myself, but I'd be surprised if Pavel's particular problem hasn't been mentioned.

Being interested in sectional models myself, I was rather taken by their Victory centre section. Reading the site blurb, both that and the full model seem to have been created in collaboration with the staff of the actual ship in Portsmouth – perhaps even Peter Goodwin, if he was there then. It would appear they are thus much more accurate than the kits from either Corel or Mantua – and maybe even Jotika.

I'm not familiar with partwork models. How do they work out cost wise, compared with an off the shelf kit; are they that much more expensive?

Edited by Stockholm tar

Kester

Stockholm tar

partwork models are a great alternative for those who cannot afford to throw out the cost of a single kit out of window. but you overpay. it works the same way as if you bought it on credit card and repay over longer period of the time. price in Euro would be 7.99Eur x 120=958.8eur and in here, in UK, it costs £5.99 for one issue x120= roughly £720. 

a whole lot of money., now i am sensible man, i do not like to waste money if i do not have to. i have got my hands on the full collection for £281. having already about 50 issues from when i bought it before for aprox £130 it looks like i have paid over £400. but i still can sell those 50 issues i have duplicate and  have some money back. doesnt work out such bad a deal ,does it?

about the rib no.15, i only read it on this forum, prior to the crash. if somebody knows about the problem anything better, please could you clarify? 

i have spent past month looking through the forums all over the globe, to gather the best possible info. i have never seen the faulty rib mentioned anywhere. not even in that official build log. btw, that one is great... i surelly will follow as many of victory logs as possible, one never knows...

Pavol

Edited by maaaslo

Pavol stands for Paul, Pablo, Paolo etc. Please do not try to pronounce it, just call me Pav...

Pavol,

So far as I can see from the Modelspace site, Tomick appears to give no indication that there is anything wrong with frame 15 – at least not in the kit he used! In issue 3 he says – 'set frame fifteen aside for use later in the series, you should not glue the frame into the keel'. Presumably this has something to do with fitting the forward the keel bracing piece, which is adjacent to frame 15, and which I imagine should be done first.

Why Tomick doesn't seem to have had any problems with his frame 15 I have no idea, but maybe it was from a different batch to yours (although I can't see why this should make a difference.) Have you contacted DeAgostini to see what they say? If this is an issue with many Victory builders, they might be considering replacing that part.

One final thought, and not that you have done this, but it is easy enough to get the frames in the wrong order on the keel. Are you sure they are in the right places?

Re. the cost, it sounds like you had a good deal. Under those circumstances, it doesn't sound that expensive. :)

Edited by Stockholm tar

Kester

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Hi perhaps I can shed a bit of light on this subject?

In the early weeks of the MS forum there was a lot of talk regarding rib 15 some people experienced this rib to lean out to much however not every one experienced this as some people had no problems with it. I believe that is why Tony’s (Tomick) build doesn’t contain any details regarding this.

If you look at the later pages (21 +) of the Build Discussions on HMS Victory topic you’ll find various different ways in which builders tackled this problem.

The method I followed is post #7 just click on the link below and scroll down to it

http://forum.model-space.co.uk/default.aspx?g=posts&t=1310

I hope this helps you out a bit

Cheers Phil,

Edited by xavjar

Current Build:

HMS Victory 1:84

YNWA

Cheers Phil,