Le Fleuron by Gaetan Bordeleau- 1:24 - Finished

Stunning!  The decorations set her off nicely and are very well executed.  Are the carvings from Cherry also?

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thank you for your nice comments.

Pat, one of the goals of this project was to verify if cherry is a suitable wood for model ships.

This model is 99,9 %  cherry and for the table on lower deck australien cherry.

One of the advantages of using 1 kind of wood is the uniformity of the color in the final result.

Absolutely amazing.  All the carvings are out of real wood!  Which museum's in Paris are fighting for this model for their collections?  I just want to know. :o

Almost makes me want to put all my model stuff away in a box and stick to telescope building.........Almost. ^_^

Stunning work!

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

.......the epitome of true craftsmanship ......a marvel to behold .......

jp

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

Magnifique, simplement magnifique!

^ What he said.

That's an exceptional piece of work Gaetan, and you have every right to be very proud of it.

I hope you find a home for it where many can enjoy seeing it.

I correct the color.

I was about to ask, the previous image with the wood showing as green-brown didn't look much like the cherry wood I'm familiar with :)

My favorite thing about cherry is just giving it a clear finish and leaving it to do its own color change, it turns such a wonderful shade of light brown over time.

Hi Mike,

For the next project, I have plan A;  74 from the nicest period, but I am also  looking plan B, another set from Boudriot.

Hi   Vossiewulf, 

I did take a lot of pictures for this build, at least 1500, that I kept, and I can turn  the wood many colors with the camera.

I enjoyed very much building it and I also enjoyed very much taking photos.

Edited by Gaetan Bordeleau

Hi Mike,

For the next project, I have plan A;  74 from the nicest period, but I am also  looking plan B, another set from Boudriot.

Hi   Vossiewulf, 

I did take a lot of pictures for this build, at least 1500, that I kept, and I can turn  the wood many colors with the camera.

I enjoyed very much building it and I also enjoyed very much taking photos.

I understand that now, but it's not a skill or interest shared by many ship modelers, so I wasn't expecting sophisticated camera work - I've spent 12.3 gillion hours in Photoshop but even I am only doing the most basic cropping and adjustment when I post pictures here. Well except for de-aging paintings, I like taking historic paintings that are hopelessly yellow and dark and dirty and restoring them to what they looked like when the painter put his brushes down.

Speaking of the camera work, that was pretty cool, if someone asked me what wood that was as the closest color match is lignum vitae but anyone who built your ship out of that wood would be officially crazy, hence my confusion.

Did I mention your ship is amazing again? If not I will repeat that :) It really is a no-kidding, being absolutely serious and as critical as I can get, a phenomenal piece of woodworking in general and the quality of the work makes a long-term placement in a major museum entirely justified. As I said in my earlier response, you have every right to feel extremely proud of what you've accomplished here. If I were you I'd have a very hard time not spending entire days just looking at it and grinning.

So... next is Soleil Royale at 1:12? :) Fully sailing with operating cannons, so you can truck it to a lake on weekends and sink anything that challenges your ownership of said lake? 

It's breathtaking! This no longer is a shipmodel but a work of art.

(What a bunch of amateurs we are in comparison....)

Chris

Current builds :    

On hold :

IJN Yamato by DeAgostini - 1/250

Completed builds :

Bermuda boat Corsair (scratch)

President by Sergal - 1/60

Hi Marc,

For the next project, I prefer the proportions of the 74 and I prefer the approach of Jean Boudriot.

Hi Chris,

I am an amateur too,  I am not the best in anything but I know the road to build a model ship.

This is the second 8 feet long model ship I have in the home and I will go for a third one. I will continue as long as I can.

I do not know anybody who want to buy this kind of cherry assembly. 

The reason I build model ship is not to sell a model ship, also it is not to own it, the only reason I build model ship is for the pleasure of building it. I saw this model almost everyday for the last 5 years, now I  prefer to look at a new construction. I said it before and I keep thinking the same thing: after the model ship is completed I could throw it in the garbage and I would not care.

The reason I build model ship is not to sell a model ship, also it is not to own it, the only reason I build model ship is for the pleasure of building it.

Geatan, and it is this that will keep you young for a very long time. The joy of doing a task is the spice of life in my view, and learning something new along the way is pure bonus.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hi Shipcarpenter,

If I can inspire  1 people, then it is a good thing to show this build.

Hi Rob,

If this is a masterpiece, well there are many masterpieces on this forum. To come and look at the different build on this forum everybody can learn a lot of things. I learned many things on this forum and one of these is that it is worth to take good photos of the completed model. It is like putting the cherry on the cake as it complete the cake.

The choice of the next model:

One of the reasons to choose a model ship to build  are the decorations and the quarter galleries. By example, if we compare the quarter galleries of  HMS Euryalus 36 1803 and La Belle Poule 36 1765,  we can observe some similarity.

If we compare the quarter galleries of HMS Bellona 74 around 1760  and  the 74 guns  1780 from Boudriot, we have 2 interesting and very nice model ship. I could  also compare with L’Artésien but the quarter galleries are not  pleasantly appealing.

I have a preference for the 74. I could choose HMS Bellona. To achieve as much details as the french 74, I would need to do a lot of research as Mark did. Even if  the search for a treasure is always fascinating, I prefer the building of the model ship to the research. What is interesting with Boudriot is that he did all the research and all what is left to do is to build the model.

For the choice of the scale, I am sure that I could build a model at 1/ 196 or 1/ 48 or even 1/24. I see 2 possibilities : 1/ 24  no masting or 1/36 possibly with with masting and rigging.

Edited by Gaetan Bordeleau

Excellent work! Thanks for sharing it. It's a really pleasure watching your progress.

For your next project, I recommend you L'Artesien (https://ancre.fr/en/monographies-en/48-monographie-de-l-artesien-vaisseau-64-canons-1764.html).

Geatan,

A very, very lovely build, with a log that has more to it than a build log but is also partly a manual, or should I say a road map. Great legacy from you I might add.

It is certain you will choose a very interesting build. I have just one question: Did you ever consider to build just the stern part of the ship with the cabins at large scale, an end cross section?

Salutations

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Your carving skill is second to none...coupled with an acute sense of balance and symmetry...I'd say nothing could really be a challenge for you...unless maybe you choose to build something like this... ^_^

Looking forward to your next adventure.

Rob

post-2739-0-42722000-1486719282_thumb.jpg

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."