Making a Nameplate

A recently completed model of the Santa Maria didn't include a nameplate so I needed to make one.  After considering various options I decided the following method was the simplest and quickest.

I purchased a strip of brass plate from which I cut, shaped, and drilled the nameplate. I then cleaned the surface with steel wool.

post-2544-0-29947500-1376631531_thumb.jpg

I obtained a sheet of 'stick on' letters from a craft type shop, normally used for making cards etc.  Each letter was transferred from the sheet to the brass plate.   I had previously made a mock-up of the nameplate on a piece of paper to be sure the letters fitted ok.

post-2544-0-72805500-1376631893_thumb.jpg

I painted onto the brass plate a generous  coating of 'Black Patina for Solder' that I had left over from the days when I did some leadlighting.  Interestingly the brass didn't go black (I have used it to blacken other boat fittings) but a dark brown instead, probably to do with the properties of the brass strip.  However the result was quite satisfactory for my purposes.

post-2544-0-87759300-1376632942_thumb.jpg

After allowing the black patina to dry I removed the letters.  Fortunately the adehsive on the letters was very good and there was no leeching of the black patina under them and the letters were well defined.  I did have second thoughts about removing the letters as the nameplate looked ok with them on but decided that long term they could come off as the adhesive deteriorated or for some other reason.

post-2544-0-60045300-1376632561_thumb.jpg

A view of the nameplate attached to the model base.  The exposed brass letters will mature in time as the brass slowly tarnishes.  The cost of the nameplate was no more than $A5 and I still have brass strip and letters to make two more.

post-2544-0-28231900-1376632660_thumb.jpg

Edited by rodgerdodger

Previous builds include:

Cutty Sark (AL)

Brittania (Mamoli)

Lexington (Aeropiccola)

La Couronne (Corel)

Santa Maria (Mantua)

Thats brilliant - I've made a note of that, I need to make a couple of nameplates!

Just Started: Golden Hind scratch build

Previous - Scratch Built :Mayflower  HMS Myrmidon 

Kit: HMB Endeavour

+/- 20 RC Boats:Tugs,Yachts, Skimmers 

4 Miniature Freestyle Sailing Boats

Perfect! And so simple surely will adapt the idea.

Thank you for the tip.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry