Wasa by md1400cs - FINISHED - Corel - 1:75

Some updates. I have been painting more figures. Installed a few more. I think that I will now change my focus and work with upper gallery wood. Need a break from the figures (:-)

You mau also note that I decided to use the "aged" look for the upper gallery housing figures. My earlier posts show how they were initially painted. I did not like that "cartoon" look. I repainted them using more detail, but that also looked odd. So I ended just aging them so that they would be less apparent. I will stick with that. Again thanks to all of you for your kind remarks, and thanks for looking it is appreciated.

Regards,  Michael

post-735-0-31455100-1366387374_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-19466600-1366387381_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-63129900-1366387388_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-29524300-1366387398_thumb.jpg

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

I built the plastic Airfix model a couple of years ago. I love this ship. i've been wanting to build the corel version but can't bring myself to spend that type of money on a kit yet.

you may have already seen this site. but is the Wasa report which shows some of the work and restoration done to the ship.

http://www.wasadream.com/Index/indexenglish.html

Always a pleasure to see your work !!

It amazes me how much small details you manage to add to the ship.

I am looking forward to your further progress.

Completed:

Catalina from Mamoli (1/32)

European small river ship (scratch build) (1/50)

Currently building: Wasa from Corel (1/75)

Future: Titanic (Mantua), Batavia (Kolderstok), Friesland (Mamoli), Bismarck (Hachette), Prins Willem (Corel)

Hi Michael,

it was absolutely the right decission to use the "aged" look, it fits a bit better to the wood.

And I can understand you very well, that you need a break from the figures.

Regards, Joachim

My new Book in ENGLISH and GERMAN available:

"The colour blue in historic shipbuilding"

http://www.modellbau-muellerschoen.de/buch-en.htm

Current build   Amerigo Vespucci    http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/836-amerigo-vespucci-by-schiffebastler-mantua-model-scale-184-italien-sail-training-ship-build-1931/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History:

http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

I built the plastic Airfix model a couple of years ago. I love this ship. i've been wanting to build the corel version but can't bring myself to spend that type of money on a kit yet.

you may have already seen this site. but is the Wasa report which shows some of the work and restoration done to the ship.

http://www.wasadream.com/Index/indexenglish.html

enemeink,

I know of this. I've downloaded all of the pics. and I have been devouring their contents to help me along. I thank you for nonetheless for sharing the link.

PS: Get onto, if you are not already, Model Expo's email list. often enough they run deep discounts that are emailed. I have seen the Corel Wasa for around $700 sometime back through their email promotions.

Last check $1650. Which is ridiculous. I have to assume the market will accept this price. Certainly the millions or so who visit the museum yearly add to the demand for this kit. Billings is the only other Wasa available. The absolutely fun part of this ship is that 1000s of photos of the real ship are available so it's fun to try and adjust the Corel to look much closer to the 1:1. The Billings product is almost a copy of the 1:1, though all of the figures are plastic.

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Guys,

Andre, Joachim, WackoWolf, Lambsbk, and BE thanks for following this build. I appreciate the encouragement and all of your kind words.

When I see some of your work and ideas (as I'm following many of you) I get further encouraged to improve my skills. This hobby certainly is a fun part of our collective lives.  As I receive comments from new builders who post regarding this Wasa, I also discover your builds and appreciate even more this hobby. I'm following, with much pleasure, a lot of hobbyists on this forum. Hobbyists is the wrong word, it should be amazing artists. Hmmm again thanks

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi All,

I saw that enemeink and Michael mentioned a listed price for the Corel Wasa of 1650 USD. Apparently such prices are much higher than in Europe, because I have seen a price of 479 Euro (approx 625 USD) in a Dutch webshop for this kit. And that is the normal price, not a discount. But shipping to USA will add to the costs (if they are willing to ship..).

Andre

Completed:

Catalina from Mamoli (1/32)

European small river ship (scratch build) (1/50)

Currently building: Wasa from Corel (1/75)

Future: Titanic (Mantua), Batavia (Kolderstok), Friesland (Mamoli), Bismarck (Hachette), Prins Willem (Corel)

Hello again,

I was intending to start working on the upper galleries, but.... turns out that the very upper bobbinets are not yet, mentally, within my sights. In the meantime I moved ahead with a couple more figures

post-735-0-26654200-1366682933_thumb.jpgI'm hoping to follow this... I want to angle that first lower transverse bobbinet timber correctly. I need to reflect some more. 

post-735-0-38184300-1366682969_thumb.jpgHere is my first step 

post-735-0-60690300-1366682994_thumb.jpgWasa had a bearded male. Corel gave us a mermaid? With apologies to Vasa purists - the gold belly button; I couldn't help myself (:-)

post-735-0-55526600-1366683147_thumb.jpgthe tip of the figure had some sort of sea monster; Corel was kind enough to include this at the tip of the mermaid.

post-735-0-59417800-1366683228_thumb.jpgFigures on each side of the bow section. Hmmm here is a problem

post-735-0-56155700-1366683257_thumb.jpgThey should have been more space between the upper canon doors and the bowsprit superstructure. It should look like this. Oh well

post-735-0-41758900-1366683287_thumb.jpgI will have to attach them much higher, to allow room for the canon door hinges as well as the door opening rope.

post-735-0-97436900-1366683219_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Looking great. Well done on the paintings. I loled at the bellybutton detail. I will think of some small detail like that when painting mine. Where you considering to paint them to look like wood?

There is the option to keep those canon doors closed. We know she didnt have all her guns ready when she sailed (Im not sure what ones though), and noone knows if the gun ports were open or not in the spots where there were no canons. (Id say its a good guess they where open though to look uniform)

It would be great to see a Corel and BB side by side someday.  

Edited by NAZGÛL
post-3739-0-77091900-1412108706.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

Matti,

Hi. Thanks for your kind words. Yes have fun with the mermaids when you paint them.

No, actually I was not going to paint the figures as "wood" but my original intentions were to "age" look all of the metal figures as I have done with the bobbinet and overhead gallery figures. Then I got motivated to paint all of the other figures/soldiers after responding to several posts asking me about it.

Yes I did think of leaving those forward canon doors closed. It's a good idea. Nonetheless I would need to attach those two figure higher so that if the doors were to be opened, the canon could be moved forward.

PS: I will repaint the lions that the soldiers are standing on. Those "happy faces" have to go (:-)  Take care.

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Ahoy Michael :D

I am very much enjoying your build. It is a fine rendition of this beautiful ship

I find the ornamentation and color scheme of the Wasa very interesting. It is bold and colorful; she would have been an unmistakable site on the horizon.

Edited by JPett

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Hi, P.Pett thanks PS: your Rattlesnake is sure impressive (:-) Your written posts are so informative as well. Lot's of learning going on, on my end...

So I decided to remove the bow figures and paint them. After painting those two other soldiers the bow figures looked "off"

I now think that I have nourished my paint needs for now. Gallery WILL be next. I need to move on...Here are a a few pics of the change. Thanks for looking in

post-735-0-22381300-1366765474_thumb.jpgCorel figure a bit diff. but closepost-735-0-09802100-1366765505_thumb.jpgintimidating 1:10th source for paintingpost-735-0-76236500-1366765540_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-69606800-1366765565_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Oh yes, looks much better, well done!

Regards, Joachim

My new Book in ENGLISH and GERMAN available:

"The colour blue in historic shipbuilding"

http://www.modellbau-muellerschoen.de/buch-en.htm

Current build   Amerigo Vespucci    http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/836-amerigo-vespucci-by-schiffebastler-mantua-model-scale-184-italien-sail-training-ship-build-1931/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History:

http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

I find the ornamentation and color scheme of the Wasa very interesting. It is bold and colorful; she would have been an unmistakable site on the horizon.

Her red color was traditional Swedish navy red, and the figures were painted in the multi colored style they painted figures in Sweden at the time. Her richness in ornaments, her size and high built should have been quite special though. I wish there were more information made about her sister Äpplet, that was in duty for 30 years, and except being slightly wider (altered by the new shipmaster replacing the deceased Hybetsson) had similar stats and costs. I can olnly imagine how nervous the sailers would have been when sailing Äpplet for the first time... I think its a good guess they had her gun ports closed on her first trip. :) 

Michael, I think you painting the figures is a good decision. I only wondered about painting them wood could have looked interesting and natural. I did consider that myself.

New painted figures look great!

Edited by NAZGÛL
post-3739-0-77091900-1412108706.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

Bender, thank you - coming from you, that is a huge compliment, much appreciated !

Some minor updates, but I think that they help to formally complete the look of stern.

One upper gallery is finished and needs to be attached. I have put together a log of how these were put together. I will post that build section soon. I hope that it will be useful to Wasa builders.

It sure made the process much easier for me. I wish I had thought of that with the lower galleries. Learning as I'm going on.....

Regards,

Michael D

post-735-0-83097100-1367280967_thumb.jpgwhere I left off last time

post-735-0-00036000-1367281009_thumb.jpgtrim pieces with thin basswood highlights

post-735-0-69164800-1367281048_thumb.jpgpositioning and making sure angles are correct

post-735-0-89885600-1367281072_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-60732000-1367281081_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-29081100-1367281090_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Salute Michael,

You are very talented persona but also modest although your skill...

I am very honoured by your kind words about my log even I don't deserve them... :blush:

In my Corel kit, from time to time I am confused about which Berlin I am building. Wood and ornaments quality are good but the accuracy is doubtful. The picture at the face of the box of the kit and the ship after the plans don't match every time. Then I decided to follow my imagination and my acceptance in case of hesitation because I was not able to find enough information about Berlin.

But you, you can about Vasa. That is not good for anyone who is not skillful enough, comparing always with the original he can feel disappointed. But talented as you are, that is very pleasing and satisfying. I can really congratulate you on making very artistic build of such a complex ship...

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

Salute Michael,

The hidges have been provided by Corel's kit. They were copper made.

Their shape and the stages of building are like the illustration that I try to draw with Paint software and to explain how I have acted...

post-2145-0-10616400-1367377644_thumb.jpg

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

Salute Michael,

The hidges have been provided by Corel's kit. They were copper made.

Their shape and the stages of building are like the illustration that I try to draw with Paint software and to explain how I have acted...

Ferit,

Of course, I should have known that you would take the original hinges, and do a tremendous amount of alterations to make them perfect. I looked again on your build this morning and realized that you also added the nails. That is why they looked so "not Corel".

So you did not only add nails you also completely redesigned the hinges. Perfect solution. The amount of extra detail that you are incorporating into this kit is really of such high quality. It is so impressive. 

By-the-way you have been receiving responses from builders who "walk on water" and the lake is not frozen. Silly USA type of joke, but it is a big compliment, especially from master artists who post on MSW (:-) Congratulations. Your artistic skills are so amazing. Love your vision of how you want this ship to be.

You are right with the Vasa, it is much easier to represent the look of the actual ship. In your case your artistic mind is your guide. A good guide for sure.

Regards,

Michael D

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

it may be unclear to some looking at the pictures, but at the Wasa museum there is a 1-10 scale model fully painted in the different colours as was on the original ship.

Brian,

Hi, I dont think so. It seems that after many years of forensic analysis, the look of the painted 1:10th is supposedly very accurate to the original. The data are very clear about this. Which, of course, makes this ship almost impossible to fully paint accurately in a 1:75th model. Just the white scalloping of the gallerie tops would drive a model builder of off a roof.

The museum 1:10th is continually being updated as the research discovers new paint details from the original timbers, and figures. When the museum first opened the 1:10th was not painted at all. It was just replicated in wood. Each year they would add more colors to the model, as the information became available. 

Regards,

Michael D

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Here is a photo of how the 1:10th model looked in the early days of research.

MJD

post-735-0-23255000-1367448104_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -