Wasa by md1400cs - FINISHED - Corel - 1:75

Hi Mates,

He are some updated full views as of today. Always thanks for dropping by.5938c910cf4a6_IMG_7176copy.thumb.jpg.9a6c41b4c8d817f5d81707f11eebc2d5.jpg5938c914557ab_IMG_7177copy.thumb.jpg.022dfa44f58721d5ca9db8103ac26e1d.jpg5938c917a2d63_IMG_7184copy.thumb.jpg.b41edd65b8598e25f92c002ab3c29b9b.jpgIMG_7172.thumb.jpg.2abd4aeb277012cb4fcb24268888b7a7.jpg

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

I always like seeing the overall shots as well as the close ups. It is easy to get lost in the details and forget what the entire ship looks like and how those details look with the rest of the ship. She is looking great Michael! 

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Hola Michael:

For doing that specific reinforcement I use a specific knobs on the sewing machine, (I don´t know its name but here are a picture of them) The thing is to play previously to attain the desire appearance

Saludos, Karl

DSCN2954.JPG

Karl,

Thank you I understand - great- I will be going here next week(see below) to start the sails -

If I think that they look good, and don't take away from the details that I have added to this Corel kit - then I will add sails. Yours and Franks are what I am hoping to at least achieve. Both of your Vasas (with added sails) look so great. The sails really add to your builds. I will, in any case, sew all of the trim around the sails.

here is the place.

https://www.sewingarts.com/

I will try myself or hire someone at the school who would be an "expert" details to follow,

Cheers,

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hola Michael:

Fortunate of you that have the facilities to ask for help. If you find an "expert" that can sew your sails I am sure they will be as good and nice as all your building, and in any case, if you are not satisfied with the results you can omit the sails.

Saludos y Suerte!!  Karl

Hi Mates,

Continuing with standing rigging;

• Changing out the bowsprit lashing to correct – tarred ropes

•First attempt at making Euphroe blocks, Found a more contemporary looking example online. May also incorporate  blocks with needed Euphros for mainmast backstay (as seen on that photo)

Funny PS; Word saw spelling error and wanted to change spelling to euphoria or euphoric ha ha

•Also making more fiddle blocks

Pics are self explanatory – so brief text here.

I can see that eventually tensioning all of these lines against each other will be complicated to get them all looking “right” That bridge is for later.

Cheers,

1.thumb.jpg.9663231252458c9f5a35107b26f05ede.jpg2.thumb.jpg.d8ef0b60d0af529017ffba29e249dba0.jpg3.thumb.jpg.c0846fae119ede05d4af16d2234784c3.jpg5.thumb.jpg.f3e18ef51e7e2136d5f9f6d3d65b0bb4.jpg6.jpeg.6cb5b06221d0548d3ce7a8a220bffdc7.jpeg7.thumb.jpg.0e51c3ec227fb4396e2fab9da2dcfce7.jpg8.thumb.jpg.525d2f43d9e106104483eda0e3baf684.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

If it is not too late, I would recommend leaving your shrouds and stays adjustable. I had already glued mine down so I had to cut them free at and retension many of them through the deadeyes to help keep my running rigging tight and the standing rigging straight. Not perfect but it helped a lot. 

I've also had that problem with my auto correct when I post on my phone with many nautical terms. Spelling and grammar checkers do not like the Navy! :P

I wish I would have found that picture of the euphroe blocks when I was searching. I like that better than the one I designed mine off of. Well, into the files for the next build!

Rigging is looking sharp. Won't be long now and she will be ready for her maiden voyage!

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

EJ,

Thanks for your nice comments – Yes your advice is well taken. This happens to be something that I have the foresight of understanding. Most of the standing rigging won’t be secured until much latter.

I also assume that I will need “reaching room” when attaching yards, sails, and required running rigging. It is my goal to complete the Vasa in 2017.

============================

And then move backwards to 840 AD or thereabouts (Oseberg) I will, for that one, leave several sections open, including part of the deck, and the hull on one side – making visible construction details that would otherwise be all covered up. So the extra work will be with wood. An area that I like to work with.

Probably won’t add the sail, nor its simple rigging, but instead truncate the mast for a partial display. So it will be just basically a hull model.

I was just going to ignore this one (too big1/25th scale) but have reconsidered this in hindsight.

And so many actual photos of the Oseberg are available making the structural accuracy easier to replicate correctly.

Below is a replica of the Gokstad detail view– (the Oseberg was built as a burial shrine). But these two give great insight into their construction. Oseberg is the full view photo.Gokstad.thumb.jpg.04f8cd7d3dcbe582eb52b2e1e63ddf60.jpgnorway-oslo-bygdoy-peninsula-viking-boats-museum-oseberg-drakkar-of-CPYCF1.thumb.jpg.ee8c88a91ab0f8fa74866c0479379dda.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

really fine rigging Michael....I was looking at your earlier pictures....noticed the gammoning was gone.   then I saw that you changed it over to the black thread.....looks much better ;) 

she'll look good in sails :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks EJ_L for your entry regarding shrouds and standing rigging tension.  I would not have considered this concept. It is timely because i am almost ready to begin my shrouds and standing rigging on my Wasa build. I value the more seasoned artists advise as i am not as adept as many of the contributors to the Forum. This Forum has helped me to be a better modeler. Hats off to all of you.

Denis – thanks, yes that does now look as it should. Also thanks for your continued support and kind thoughts.

Yup sails keep me up at night J  Would definitely add a big “bang” to this project.

EJ – just a thought; I had difficulty trying to properly scale the euphroe block threads taught. A bow seemed to always stay visual coming from each side of the blocks

I went from Chuck’s  .018 to his .012 and that helped a bit. But the real solution was to use a routing bit and add indented grooves to the blocks themselves. This allowed the rope bends to be better hidden within the block.

Now when pulled the ropes take on a better scaled toughness through the blocks to their respective shrouds.IMG_6372.thumb.jpg.ebc47dbe1481a02693dcf3c8fc7de351.jpg

IMG_6373.thumb.jpg.efa544421c53f7fdba021991cb7581c6.jpg

Cheers,

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Ah! That is the trick! I have been fighting that same issue with mine and that "bow" in the rope was one of the biggest annoyances with trying to keep them tight. As much as I hate to do it, I may redo my crows feet to see if that improves the overall look. May rebuild those blocks while I am at it. Don't have to do them all but three of them for certain are bothering me. Thanks for figuring that out! :D

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

EJ - Glad to be of help (:-)

Patrick - thanks for the hint, but I'm committed to try to do sails.  Booked a sewing lesson for next week.

Met the teacher - she said that this would be her first teaching lesson for some "dude" making model ship sails.  

This should be fun. I hope. Super cool sewing machines indeed.

Cheers,

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Love the latest shots  Michael, she really is a beauty. :)

Re tensioning the plethora of Crowsfeet on ships of that era; to  get them to look right without pulling other lines out of true you may need to resort to stiffening them insitu using diluted wallpaper paste or similar.

It's a method I've used with some success in the past, once attached, the Crowsfeet are put under proper tension using a temporary line and stiffened until they stand on their own. The procedure can be repeated until the desired effect is obtained.

B.E.

B.E.,

Thank you - as always - for your kind thoughts. For me this is such a compliment as well given your absolute mastery of this hobby. (:-)

Regarding the crows feet (I assume you meant those ropes used by sailors to straddle yards?) - I have looked into this, checked with Anderson, checked on the Vasa specific site per Fred Hocker, it seems that Vasa did not rig these.

Now I am indeed thankful. Also all of the models that I have seen, including the museum's 1/10th preclude rigging these as well.

That said your advice will stay with me for future reference. Thanks for your post.

So searching (too much) tend to bring up things that I did not want to really know about Grrr ha ha

Regarding those euphroe blocks that I was so proud of - well this came up. So much for my accuracy (will not go back to revisit this)

72d1fafbfd33.jpg.72883e0618c54e4dbd33630dbf5e47c9.jpg

below from Fred Hocker (copied and pasted)

We have three different sizes of euphroe found on the ship, a 4-hole, 5-hole and 6-hole. The number and find location of the 6-holers indicates that they were used for the martnets on the fore and main courses. The locations of the others are less clear, but could have been used for the dead ends of a number of different lines attached to the stays, or for crowsfeet at the forward edges of the lower tops. There is no sign on the main tos of dedicated holes for the legs of a crowsfoot, but they caould have been tied to the rim or railings.

Again Mates thanks so much for all of your encouraging comments, likes, and visits.

Cheers,

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Beautiful model. It is quite imposing. Your rigging is coming along well. Great work on a rather complicated subject.

Russ

Hi Michael, I'm not referring to Footropes or horses as slung below the yards, but the complicated crowsfeet arrangements fitted to many  stays on ships of the 17th century. The crowsfeet that are fitted to the tops of 18th century ships were the last remaining vestige of the use of crowsfeet which died out towards the start of the 19th century.

The sort of attachments shown in your last photo above would I believe be classed as crowsfeet, but a prime example of their use in 17c ships would be the Spritsail Topmast backstays, certainly on English and Dutch ships, where very fancy set ups were the order of the day.

The Martnets (or Leechlines) were also of a similar form, and may benefit from some stiffening assistance to get them to look right.

Cheers,

B.E.

Russ – Thanks for your kind words much appreciated – thanks for dropping by as well.

B.E. Noted – I am now on your page understanding your posts, thanks. Eventually I may need to add these. I did actually follow how you included these on you last build.

PS: I’m still learning the vocabulary (:-)

======================

So moving forward to the sails.

Karl thanks SO much for your log sail measurement details. Super helpful indeed.

Frank I have decided to follow your sail presentation – I will also furl all lower sails, and have reduced the sail sizes per your log suggestions.

Karl and Frank your build logs will also continue to be invaluable when it is time to add blocks, rig the yards and sails all together.

Monday the sails get started in earnest; I go to the sewing center for stitching.

Cheers,5943172d0a5e1_IMG_7233copy.thumb.jpg.41004a541088ba2ba103edbe4c2dd86a.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

super progress.....she's gonna look nice with sails,  no matter how you fluff 'em ;) 

I use the admiral's sewing machine....I've had some experience from taking Home EC in school {I did it for the Lasagna}.  I didn't know that I'd be a singer operator too :o   the worst part is setting the darn thing up..........you'll do fine ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hola Michael:

I am sure your sails will be outstanding!!

Saludos, Karl

:cheers:

Hi Mates,

Buck - yes I do plan on as seriously as possible bash the Oseberg. I am already building up files with as much info as I can. I have lot's of photos and I have two new Viking ship books. Thanks for asking. I also appreciate your confidence. 

Vasa update. Went to that sewing center today. Ivy, the instructor, was super helpful - all 12 sails have been sewn. On Wednesday I return for the cutting and hemming. I think that they will look quite "ok" Karl "outstanding" well? - you are so kind thanks! 

Never thought that I would be near the actual end. Sails, yards, rigging and she"s done - I am also motivated to start the Viking ship - I have no space for two at a time like some of you lucky builders.

Cheers,

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Update;

Moving onto lathing the yards. First looked for dowels that had visible rings, in order to better replicate the yards looking as if they came from in scale real trees.

1.thumb.jpg.8b57ab80c575bf6e04fb6e9793e8e656.jpg2.thumb.jpg.83e3ce250941af2f897474ab89a3b3b2.jpg

Example of sailcloth and initial stitching, as well as first turned yard. It looks thinner than 8mm – but it is as Corel sized it.

3.thumb.jpg.59091d4061547cd1906186bc20ff3959.jpg

Returned to sewing center to finish up the sails. I’m so glad that I met Ivy – she was awesome. I did the cuttings. She (thankfully) did all of the machine work. The resulting stitching, and the hemming is 100% her great work. She also used an industrial steam iron to fold the double hems, then perfect stitching. Came out so well.

All of the following photos highlight her great work. Sewing center also had perfect cutting tools

5.thumb.jpg.92819bfb734c33daf7a6e656b2a7f5c5.jpg6.thumb.jpg.e65caac5f327871f0dfbe6763f522232.jpg7.thumb.jpg.92717e6f46832d512e8575c35bd285a3.jpg8.thumb.jpg.22579a49596cf8163810442178435184.jpg9.thumb.jpg.964f32b701f2563b0e5440c2abbd2574.jpg10.thumb.jpg.5f6e8780fe3ff6144a2dcc89834fc82d.jpg11.thumb.jpg.308edcd73bff2cadd73e415b2d1e3fa8.jpg12.thumb.jpg.0172612e2b800e1f3a7a4a920f4cee59.jpg13.thumb.jpg.096ec16a927d361c327edb45bc80486d.jpg

I used an unbleached cotton muslin, that has those little black specks here and there - adds to the unrefined look too the sailcloth IMO - Last two are how I decided to add the reinforcement to the lower main sail. Copied what I saw on the 1/10th - As always thanks for dropping by

Cheers,

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

very nice process so far Michael......look'in very good.   hat's off to the seamstress..........does she make it to the Northeast at all? ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Dennis,

Funny - no she's just a local sweetheart. Super talented. She also works in the movie industry doing costumes.

She told me some funny stories when she had to check fits with certain "stars".

Thanks for your kind words. Yesterday I finished all of the yards, then wanted to start bolt ropes  Hmmm needed to send an order to Chuck.

In the meantime I will prepare all of the needed blocks. I also use Chuck's but do some slight detailing to each. 

Cheers,

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Mates,

I had mentioned that I slightly tweak Chuck’s (Syren) already super excellent blocks. This how I do it. The changes are very subtle, but for me make it worth it.

1) enlarge the pre-drilled holes (I’m sure most of you already do this anyway)

2) using the same drill bit I now angle it to “round out” and deepen the pulley look further.

1.thumb.jpg.c5cf527ebcd539011263b0e106a301f3.jpg2.thumb.jpg.09522bdb69cff7acedc146be39a9b987.jpg3.thumb.jpg.8f80f47d2360f73ac762350e4ffab786.jpg

Using a file I add grooves to the upper and lower edges

4.thumb.jpg.93f614e49f822d775182b65b25344999.jpg

Using a small sanding block I sand the four side edges a bit inward.

5.thumb.jpg.80a200882d4d959dc6e317fdc40c90ac.jpg6.thumb.jpg.b4e77e38a194b6629c195e407f85fb63.jpg

Last bit I just started “now” after going to Chuck’s site to order more rope I saw his new blocks that included the four pins that attach the two block sides together. Hmmm – that looked so great.

Granted his blocks are larger but nonetheless wanted to add that look as well.

Using a tiny drill bit just drilled eight holes.

7.thumb.jpg.1b60bf3d533cedfef9f6933a2806e2fa.jpg

Here are some comparisons. AGAIN absolutely NOT implying anything at all missing regarding Chuck’s super perfect blocks down to the smallest scale.

8.thumb.jpg.a9221357f1d002b00e248468e6a8142d.jpg9.thumb.jpg.67b1658bec13bbf2691940307aaafe77.jpg10.thumb.jpg.eb495d4f5cc694930c254447bd2c1a71.jpg

This pic is a perfect example of how amazing his super small blocks actually are without any of my obsessive tweaks (;-)

12.thumb.jpg.a9033e635d9ba28d47147002345519ea.jpg

PS: whatever these are called I have to pull them all off. Again a novice with rigging when I made those it did not occur to me to be sure that ropes will be able to loop through – well they can’t – did not leave enough space grrrr.

11.thumb.jpg.9f2e39363524ac0479bc45954f81b12a.jpg

Cheers,

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Michael... those gun carriages are awesome!!!!.... your work is just outstanding!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)