Wasa by md1400cs - FINISHED - Corel - 1:75

mates,

Thanks for all of your very nice posts and likes !

Frank (Riverboat) SO nice to see you active again - we've missed you on your build logs! - welcome back indeed. thanks as well for your continued visits, and super nice compliments. 

Buck - You're the best always - Thank You

Frank - this is the lathe that I have. For longer yards see note.

proxxon.png.4546ce2020bd831658c19c990694d628.pngmini-tokarny-j-stanok-proxxon-db-250_567cf1c91352c.jpg.42eb3a9674af364a8d25d8fc3ab0fcd9.jpg595267cc99748_IMG_7307copy.thumb.jpg.79050cf7283132eda18d54af7623e458.jpg

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

MD1400cs wrote:

PS: whatever these are called I have to pull them all off. Again a novice with rigging when I made those it did not occur to me to be sure that ropes will be able to loop through – well they can’t – did not leave enough space grrrr.

Those are called fairleads.  Their purpose is to change the direction of the line.  The line passes around the outside of the pulley. You do not need to modify them at all.

Regards.

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

were you going to use them for the breech ropes?  you could use eye bolts or even cleats,  since it sounds like they aren't going to do the job.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Dear Michael,
after a long time I was not in the forum, I have read with great joy all the new posts in your build log. You know I love your Wasa and she has made fantastic progress. It will be a great model. I will continue to look over your shoulder.
best regards

Joachim

My new Book in ENGLISH and GERMAN available:

"The colour blue in historic shipbuilding"

http://www.modellbau-muellerschoen.de/buch-en.htm

Current build   Amerigo Vespucci    http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/836-amerigo-vespucci-by-schiffebastler-mantua-model-scale-184-italien-sail-training-ship-build-1931/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History:

http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Henry - Thanks for posting this. Vocabulary is still new for me - really enjoying the learning process as well, Also thanks for your very timely info, i was incorrectly going to pull all of these fairleads. Yikes - thanks again

Denis - After reading Henry's post I will follow his lead and loop ropes around the lower part of the pulleys and tie them off to pins here and there.

PS: I have notice one and two "n"s in the spelling of your name at from various members.

Joachim - Thanks so much - glad that you are back indeed. Your Amerigo Vespucci is an incredibly beautiful build - almost impossible to find enough superlatives to describe your work.

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Michael,

as you also, I have the same lathe from Proxxon. But I ordered also the bottom part as spare part from Proxxon. I screwed both on a long, narrow wooden plate. So I have now the possibility to work on very long rods and this makes work much easier, it works pritty good. In the picture you can see the extension on the right side.

Bild_37.jpg.04b96c403dcf9801e55ea265825cc498.jpg

Joachim

Current build   Amerigo Vespucci    http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/836-amerigo-vespucci-by-schiffebastler-mantua-model-scale-184-italien-sail-training-ship-build-1931/

Hi Mates,

Minor update–working on finishing up the first sail (lower main)

Then noticed (first pic of 1/10th) that a shoe block is used where I had already laced two deadeyes with a single block in-between.

PS: I know that you know where that is, just having fun adding red circles here and there……

Looked at Syren, and elsewhere could not find this type of block – so trying to make some. Prob. too much time spent here – may just use the single block instead. A work in progress ----======================

PS2: Joachim thanks for the post. I remember that extra extension. I saw it when I bought the lathe, but passed on it. I looked again at Proxxon and elsewhere no longer seems to be available (even eBay did not have one)

Cheers,

1.JPG.61c65082d33a3bd31a16b3ce3cb0d828.JPG2.thumb.jpg.b0d00d0edcb00015ad02a904d2324660.jpg3.thumb.jpg.57451f723468a19aabcee58f3cc641b6.jpg4.thumb.jpg.dd22759a96bc68bc953cd44dfc9a9a70.jpg5.thumb.jpg.3a8f243c5b9405387da67419d0edfbb2.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Nice job on the fiddle block........

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Hi Michael,

interesting making of your blocks.

The Proxxon-Part cannot be bought on a regular way, but you can write an e-mail to Proxxon service and ask for this as a spare part (the part no. of mine was 34114-2015). Then they give you an offer with a price and you can order it. Me and some of my collegues did it this way.

Joachim

Just ck'd out your sails....... Nice hook up with Ivy, that's the way to fly... beautifully done!!

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Frank.

Thanks so much - yes these sails will work.

Peaceful about this part of the build.

Costeo

Thanks, I have followed your work - Your mastery of this work is so excellent. Not at your level of skills - that said, enjoying increasing my work

by learning from builders such as yourself. PS thanks for looking at my build log.

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Mates,

Well sails are all done. Now for attaching them to the yards, (adding all needed blocks etc.)

1.thumb.jpg.4d1fdb18d1ff4e8f9fc81bb64dc6373a.jpg2.thumb.jpg.f03ef87647b1b119b88d733a827b03e8.jpg3.thumb.jpg.4b5d11a0cbf20db3ac4ecece2b6ea733.jpg4.thumb.jpg.83ef3b82f01c6ad8ac4ab0a4934bb241.jpg5.thumb.jpg.8ae4f38ee777ad0af18a8476bd2d9db1.jpg

Here comes more learning. How to actually attach them. Anderson has this. I also looked at the 1/10th and each rope is separate and unto themselves with each having separate knots.

6.thumb.jpg.ac96bc3b73fc01f873f1d3ac0c0f89a8.jpg7.thumb.jpeg.31f714394cb3f1edb6e4eae111925882.jpeg

Then there is the Tack knot.

8.thumb.jpg.0520e565c0f69e252e4e1ba7644e2242.jpg9.thumb.JPG.9ce5ddc33af73d7e0cc6aed8185273fe.JPG

I did find this online

10.jpg.9549d8b0b119be162024a3ea7becf407.jpg

Along with this link

http://www.survivalworld.com/knots/manrope-knot.html#.WWJu_tPyuV4

That’s about it for now – glad that I went for the sails – very satisfied (well they are not installed ha ha)

Cheers,

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

The tack knot is a doubled wall and crown knot.  If you just make a wall knot the ends of the strands end up on the wrong side of the knot.  You want them to end up coming down against the rope where they can then be served over.

The knot is not very easy to do in small scale. But it can be done.

Regards,

Sheet-clew-tack 2.jpg

Sheet-clew-tack 3.jpg

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

Henry,

Thanks calling the knot by that name brings up better info. I knew of "Animated Ropes" and it came up with that name. I also remembered that you

also did some of those similar knots on your Le Soleil Royal (BTW your painting skills are the best that I have seen)

When I get there I will play around - might do a "look-like" kind of knot, - that knot, as you mentioned, is complicated in that scale indeed.

Thanks for you help! That last photo is super helpful

Regards,

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mates,

Minor update. Working with some sections of the sails has proven to be – well not so much fun (for me)– venting here Hmmm---

I got through the boltropes – pleasant enough. Then came the need to add various cringles. Now those are really hard for me. So far the least enjoyable part of this build.

I am also not satisfied with the results. And  knowing that a reinforcement canvas wrap should also be included around each cringle has annoyed me.

Tried several glues on sailcloth bits and could not find a glue that “disappeared”. Also these cloth rectangles are to be sewed as well – just not happening.

I  re-did the martnets after buying some triangular deadeyes from WoodenModelShipKit (one of the vendors that advertises here). After fiddling around several times finally discovered how to lace without lines crossing over each other. Happy with the results.

So this area (sail details) is slowing me some.

Several of the other sails will not need so much extra work – and it will all be fun again (;-)

1.thumb.jpg.942f47e5ebcf4662a1f0ccd9493952bb.jpg3.thumb.jpg.65ef61b272636d531b1bc87532c0e8e4.jpg4.thumb.jpg.49275e784944ce5584b003175f3a7fd2.jpg5.thumb.jpg.643210322042fe5228e3ddf13e9cba1d.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

you found a way........looks great!    very nice with the sails :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Mates,

Frank thanks – nice of you to comment – much appreciated needed a “pep talk”…Denis Cheers as well !

Mates -Apologies for venting on my last post. Not a place in which to do this. Your kindness in following along, posting or just dropping in is not for some builder (me) complaining.

That said - after, I decided to go outside, smoke a nice Churchill (along with a Single Malt (or two) of course).  Listen to my baseball team on the radio, and also allow for some introspection. Cigar took care of any TV-  Admiral would have lowered the plank and pulled out her sword. Can't blame her actually...

It then struck me that to rush parts that are not “fun” will result, on the backside, with disappointment. Especially given the attention that I have spent trying to build it as best that I can “right” so far. Thanks Frank!!

So I will work in this area more carefully spending all of the time that I need to not feel that it is work, but instead as a new challenge in trying to improve my skills.

Minor update:

Found a way to add those reinforcement bits to the sails. Tea steeped some left over sailcloth to allow for a slightly darker tint.

Found that Gorilla Wood Glue is perfect for fixing those little cloth bits, and still allow flexing.

Added little dots trying to achieve the stitched look – not sure on that part. Too dark I think?

Won’t post until I really move forward – no point in boring you mates any further with this area.

As always thanks so much for the likes, posts or just dropping by……

Cheers,

1.thumb.jpg.00f506721c7c40102ee99390acc8d97c.jpg3.thumb.jpg.22f167a54c2cee2293060e4348b7a086.jpg4.thumb.jpg.7abe5c04256e74a9c646b1bd2bf6d532.jpg5.thumb.jpg.3cc28f9956ea9584ac9703e9935b6a1d.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Nice work Michael...the sails look great!!

USRC "ALERT"

Hi Michael

Very good looking sails with tremendous details.

And I'm happy to read that you know how to treat tobacco properly and with all due respect (even if it's not Cuban, regrettably).

Keep up the good work

Peter

Edwin, Frank, thanks so much mates for your posts -- appreciated 

Peter nice of you to post Thank you!– much appreciated.

PS: Not So fast. Cubans are somewhat available in this small box. I was in Cartagena a couple of months ago and brought some back (not the Cartagena close to you, but the one across the Atlantic closer to me) And whenever I travel to any other country on this planet Cuban's are available (:-)

They are still illegal to possess in USA – so ridiculous after more than half a century. I have not been caught by customs - so far........

As always thanks for the likes and just dropping by.

Cheers,IMG_7525.thumb.jpg.71cbdb36aa5679c5ccc21fc41ce6bb34.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi mates,

Martyn - so kind thanks so much.

Minor update but big one for me.

Decided to “bite the bullet” and challenge myself to improve areas that were new and very uncomfortable (working with sail details) – so most of the day yesterday was trying to get these two particular sails acceptably ‘ok’ – feeling comfortable with the results;

The other nine are waiting in the wings, but I now have a direction.

PS: these two sprit sails are reduced by 30+% - they will be furled.

Would have been too bulky (scale wise )in full size --- Frank (fmodjr) thanks for that sage advice from your superb Vasa build log - I followed your build, and will furl all lower sails, but partially raising the lower main as you did- love that look that you created.

Cheers,

1.thumb.jpg.03fc8cc2f66505c9ab0af9d61081ed39.jpg2.thumb.jpg.10a438dae50dc74c1ae324a57614bb95.jpg3.thumb.jpg.124434db0df1c36aac6d90341c942204.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Mates,

Finally started installing sails. First effort at this. Lot's of learning going on for me. Also working from three sets of plans is a bit confusing.

PS: I'm now so impressed by builders who breeze right through installing sails (:-)

Regards,

1.thumb.jpg.32a4dcd8e0f4c77b168c63981df25861.jpg2.thumb.jpg.36d392f73e58fdcabf9c3e87bc365604.jpg3.thumb.jpg.f8a96ad3d5b07d4d741638648c3d0bd0.jpg4.thumb.jpg.b57a653697cf1aff225a13404f144ef8.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

looks great!

Smart thinking.
Reduce the sails before they are furled. I have to remember that.

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Patrick,

Thanks - but as I noted this technique was taken from Frank's great Corel Wasa. Working out quite well.

Had it not been for Frank's and Karl's(Billings Vasa) adding sails to their builds, I would have passed on these extra details.

I just did not have the skills to understand how to do these correctly. They were/ are my teachers. I'm only copying.

In fact still I'm spending half my time with their build logs as I continue with my just started sails. Great references indeed.

Your sails also came out super nice - really does add an extra dimension to these builds

PS: I have also learned that adding sails is really complicated and takes a lot of extra time. Glad, however that I'm taking the leap.

I also still need to follow through on my New Year's 017 wish -- FINISH this build by 12/31/017 ha ha - 

Cheers,

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Great looking sails. I decided some time ago that all my ships have to have sails... furled, deployed, half furled and half deployed, half-furled and half-deployed...whatever. No ship without sails is complete, IMO :)

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!