Wasa by md1400cs - FINISHED - Corel - 1:75

Ulises,

Of course - your Vasa - back in 014 - was the first that I saw after I joined MSW that had sails . It was at that time, way beyond me then to think about sails. Then continued to learn and improve -especially following great build logs that explained how bits were achieved.

Lot's of inspirations are created for me (and other members of course) by following other build logs - fun indeed. 

Thanks for your kind compliment.

PS: your "under the table" list is really impressive. 

Cheers,

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

• 2 weeks later...

Continuing work on installing sails – now onto  top gallant fore and mains first. Here are some updated pics.

My goal is to prepare at least one sail per week;

•Attach yards

•Make sailcloth edge reinforcements

•Make needed edge cringles

•Make head cringles

•Prepare/attach all needed blocks

•Attach all needed lines

•Prepare parrels

=============================

As always thanks so much for your continued and very encouraging support.

PS: I need to check my settings – since the software update I’m not getting notices from all of the logs that I also follow. Hmmm?

Cheers,

1.thumb.jpg.6248fb83dc6391fcc2e57beec4f0463d.jpg2.thumb.jpg.039332700bc87a1503310b34661884c3.jpg4.thumb.jpg.afa9e2441bfab36f79d4e4f86df58a7b.jpg5.thumb.jpg.9db9fd767da505c223d9c9c7eb0ae22f.jpg7.thumb.jpg.1ffad7107fdf67f4cbc3a2d73e29390c.jpg8.thumb.jpg.01a39c14ce1ee3d6ea16bf85abb98037.jpg9.thumb.jpg.6beae9b7d6f11e18bacda1652fce46e0.jpg

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2015 at 3:35 PM, md1400cs said:

RobZorba has been a bit frustrated in his log with the Billings Vasa stern measurements, and your ship looks so excellent.

So I thought that I would re-visit the issues that I had with my Corel’s stern.

Pic 1 – A PERFECT out-of-the-box build of Corel Wasa (beautiful work with the addition of sails). Euro builder it was for sale, and it did sell on the commercial market.

Pic 2 – As it should look – and still does

Pic 3 – My Corel out-of-the-box initial work

Pic 4 -6 – My beginnings of a surgical fix

Pics  last three – after surgery and butt lift  (still not “just right”) an improvement for sure.

Lot’s of extra (should not have been needed) extra work J

post-735-0-18454700-1446676316_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-24526600-1446676344_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-06185700-1446676359_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-53740100-1446676372_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-13596200-1446676385_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-57289800-1446676399_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-28227000-1446676415_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-57172100-1446676430_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-64086300-1446676443_thumb.jpg

I just visited the Wasa Museum in Stockholm. Your model is amazing

Rich,

Thanks so much for your wonderful compliment. Very much appreciated.

Yes the Corel's "out of the box" stern is not, well, the Vasa stern. After I started this kit, and more or less completed the hull and weather deck I starting to "see" all of the kits errors. I decided to go back and fix as many as I could. The stern being the first "fix". That said I was, at the time, a real novice and new very little. Very kind members along the way also offered great guidance indeed.

It is always nice when some of what I learned can also be useful for other members. 

PS: I'm still learning but now feeling much more comfortable. Though I look at other logs and think OMG I'll never be that good ha ha...

Again thanks for posting those old photos from earlier in this log. I had forgotten about that stern fix it.

YES the Vasa museum is indeed spectacular. 

Regards,

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Mates,

Minor update – first effort at installing parrels; I will also remove top gallant fore and main sails in order to also add these bits.

I got a bit lazy with those two most upper yards.

This top fore sail broke the ice with parrels (that I intended to in any case add to lower yards.

SO;

Thought I would share what I think is a fairly easy way of doing this (for me in any case)

Photos go through sequences.

Anderson writes about parrel lines running down to the deck?? hmmm - Think I'll pass on that part.

================================

PS: last photo -- now need to see if my new glass is up for the job :D

Oh and the Admiral – Not a fan – told me that actually when I drink I know very little and forget most things – She was not in on this Ha ha..

As always thanks so much for the likes, posts and just dropping by - as always.

Cheers,

1.thumb.jpg.4b0b8770fc31fdc1c6cb6fac35ad6f75.jpg2.thumb.jpg.d52ff9051c0be4b8e50b92657f2c2580.jpg3.thumb.jpg.626d35924402ce45d7241fd9d7a9cf5f.jpg4.thumb.jpg.42966cce1df983879e10cc81368f7510.jpg5.thumb.jpg.9ea82201fec6dd2117f541634232c850.jpg6.thumb.jpg.f113ea8494ccb40846183babacabde4b.jpg7.thumb.jpg.248526fd7008c72cdf088d47ca396b22.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Good luck with your parrels! It looks like you are off to a good start or at least have a good plan. They were tricky enough for me and with those sails taking up valuable work room.... that will be a challenge.  It will be worth the effort in the end and I'm sure like the other details you have done, they will look great! :D

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

EJ - thanks its getting there. Sails it turns out are also a nice learning curve for me. Parrels were much easier than I had imagined, and yes mounted sails do get in the way.

zappto - thanks for your very nice comment. The Vasa Museum is, indeed an amazing visit -  especially for us members.

OK sorry had to add a couple of the eclipse :D

EJ your view will be much better than mine 

=======================

On a piece of paper pin "hole camera"

shade reflections just out my door.

Cheers,

IMG_6506.thumb.jpg.fb753e7d556e189333d4e6797bec5f18.jpgIMG_6508.thumb.jpg.ba6127aa29976f532103f7e509aac4e6.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Missed it completely out here........ I guess  I'll have to wait till the next one! :D

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

I used a welder's helmet with auto darkening to see it.......so cool,  even if it was only 60 % visibility up here in the Northeast ;)   saw my first 'crescent' sun :) 

really nice progress since I last looked in.......your sails look really good!  rigging looks great...... :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Mark,- Too bad  well 2024 but not to be in your neighborhood at all - 2017 would have been awesome indeed.

Frank - No excuse for you, I don't think? -- ha ha 

Denis:)

Martyn - thanks ! funny as well

PS: Installed the first two parrels. 

Cheers,

599ca4dd0f46b_IMG_7716copy.thumb.jpg.c96ee0d840db4bbf6263ffa5a9eac2df.jpg599ca565ce922_IMG_7725copy.thumb.jpg.9af3be8c055a421a1830e6c64ea3eedd.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Nice work on those parrels..... they're a little fidgety to work with some time (for me anyway)......

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

B.E.,

Thanks so much - Always appreciate your visits, and encouraging comments. 

Regards,

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Mates,

Here are a couple of full view rigging update views. The sail on the table is a reduced size lower fore. It will be furled - full size furls would have looked too thick

(thanks Frank for that tip)

Cheers,

1.thumb.jpg.dc6e5710cc57825a114436a3697b4256.jpg2.thumb.jpg.3d10bcde013b8f06014a41fc37489dd6.jpg3.thumb.jpg.631599db6b6fdfc2b4e5c5e046cc3da9.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Very nice! After seeing your build I'm going to have a hard time arguing reasons why I can't do sails on mine. Guess I better put sewing lessons on my to do list. :P  Loving the results and looking forward to seeing more! 

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

E.J,.

Yes sails do add a nice finishing touch. That said get ready to spend a lot, lot of extra time with your build. They (sails) are filled with added work – much more than I had anticipated. Making the sails is easy compared with mounting and rigging them.

Not regretting this by any means. But I can work for hours and seem to get nothing done beyond preparing blocks, ropes and knots for one sail (;-) then trying to mount them to their respective masts along with all of the lines and ropes hanging limp to be secured later; so far so good. If I might suggest for your next build find a kit that comes with sail/rigging plans as part of the kit (mine did not). You will be glad that you took the challenge. I’m glad that I am. Thanks for your nice post :)

In the aggregate it will be so worth the effort. My Santa Maria from so long ago was a walk in the park compared  to this build.

Cheers,

IMG_7774.jpg

IMG_7778.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

As always

Beautiful and well done with many details.

The end result will be great

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

rigging is coming along nicely........the sails really fill out the masting ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Nicely!! done Michael......

frank

USRC "ALERT"

Hi Mates,

Martyn, – so very nice of you thanks -- overwhelming !!

Patrick, Denis, Frank –thanks for your comments so appreciated as well.

And mates thanks for hitting the likes – so nice of you to click your thoughts as well

Continuing with the lower main. So it’s furled and almost ready for attaching to the mast.

I was looking at Anderson regarding the parrels and decided to challenge myself for this and the lower main mast, coming up next.

I will run a center parrel rope (only on one side) to simulate it as a working item. Will run the rope through that small block and run it to the weather deck.

Where it should be attached is not clear. I may also add another set of blocks to the end of the rope as noted on Anderson’s drawing. Fiddle blocks  - no - just a couple of single blocks and then a cleat at the deck next to the mast.

Probably overkill – but since all of the lower sails are furled this might be a nice bit of extra work that I will be happy about.

Anderson writes that he has problems with this particular set up – but so it goes. Parrel ropes certainly needed to allow for adjustments as a mast was lowered given the increase in mast diameter as a yard was lowered.

PS: I have noticed a BIG mistake that I have been making using tarred rope to attach some blocks to yards and sails. That said I just want to stay consistent in my errors for these bits. :default_wallbash:Grrrr.

Now for the really hard part -- installing the yard 

Regards,

1.thumb.jpg.c2177de7c10f644d1c988a5fe16f5b18.jpg2.thumb.jpg.082bf4ce3b71ef48e6ef4ed33345393c.jpg3.thumb.jpg.93da376bdad89676a2dbd8764120b35b.jpg4.thumb.jpg.ab289ee735ff7463bbcd128bf529e220.jpg5.thumb.jpg.cb26752b947166734a37df5b7a34d4cd.jpg

IMG_7798.thumb.jpg.3eaaad5b2aeacb05f45adc5f5127004e.jpgIMG_7799.thumb.jpg.f974a7541a20798c45f3f378707b27e5.jpg

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Been there and done that too Michael :D

frank

USRC "ALERT"

Hi Mates

Minor detail update.

Worked out a "plan" to make the fore lower appear as if the parrels are "functional"

When all buttoned up it will be like this.

PS: Frank thanks for sharing - happy not to be the Lone Ranger.:D

Cheers,

IMG_7821.thumb.jpg.3cd642abba9bf3d13d50345892711a7c.jpgIMG_7820.thumb.jpg.8e44db7b41c5e21d6a81bd05b7a88cf9.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

nicely done Michael :)    looks very good!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: