Wasa by md1400cs - FINISHED - Corel - 1:75

Another excellent little detail! That is one I do not see many people put on their models and will have to remember it for my next rigging adventure.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Hi Mates,

Thanks so much for your comments, and likes – all so nice of you.

Working from three sets of plans creates continued confusion (Corel, Billings, and Vasa Museum).

Anyway I was going to remove the upper main sail to give it bit of ironing. It was much too creased compared to the others. Glad that I had not buttoned down and glued the parrel ropes into place.

Then as I was reinstalling-  it struck me that It was missing blocks with which to attach ropes from the main top gallant sail to the upper yard. Then went back to another plan and saw what the problem was.

=========================

Then going back to the foremast trying to visualize pin and anchor locations for shrouds from the installed sails – tried to loop one rope through one of those four blocks that I had attached to the grating frame and grrrr- realized that I had not pre-enlarged the block holes.

So- trying to “remove” that grating frame with a “pop” ended up detaching that white railing and then the tool dropped and fell onto that canon carriage; easy fixes but part of the process apologies for just droning on with this post.

The lower main sail is next up.

Regards,

IMG_7829.thumb.jpg.55d3d191f8742f348d918b874aa16765.jpgIMG_7840.thumb.jpg.653fead8a16120441c42bb9005a55c20.jpgIMG_7838.thumb.jpg.b8c4e9530867db692599cd35638c755f.jpg

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Yours is still in better condition than the original, Michael !!

:D:D

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

didn't you tell them,  that when bringing the powder kegs below..to be careful! :o   you always thing in the back of your mind........it could have been worse.   glad it is minor.....looks to be a quick fix ;)    good that you saw the dilemma with the blocks......I didn't fully understand the use of the fiddle block,  until I saw the diagram under your work......now it makes perfect sense.   being a plastic modeler transitioning into wood {it's been a few years,  but I'm still making the jump},  most of the rigging is....like sheets and stays,  are usually tied to the yard or mast.  in wood modeling,  it's more in depth with the use of blocks and includes how the line is terminated or belayed.   as is said by all.....we are always learning.   superior work.......your getting into some mighty fine detail!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Mates,

B.E., Capt. Steve – (;-) hadn’t thought of that – thanks for posting. and your very nice compliments (:-)

Martyn, Dave – always so kind – thanks

Denis – thanks for your interesting thoughts. Yes plastic is a bit diff. I remember my very first Revell (the Constitution) – indeed lines were just glued to the yards – and everywhere else as well.

Regarding those added blocks to the grating frame; based on the 1/10th. Note there were initially three blocks, which became four in later 1/10th photos. That white circle was an earlier for “me” reminder.

Now which ropes should I attach – who knows. As I continue connecting lines and ropes as well as using diff. rigging plans – some lines will end up where they end up (last pic will be very helpful)

Moving on - attached the upper mizzen sail. Realized my error with that mast cap. Much too low; the platform is also attached too close to the mast tip.

I will also need to run a wire through the lower sail hem – in order to add a more presentable curve when all lines are buttoned down. Forgot before mounting the sail.

=====================

Now onto the lower main; that one (which is cut to full size scale) will be folded and raised about three quarters of the way up to its yard in a partial furl. Many builders do this. It’s a great idea indeed.

As always thanks so much for following along, just looking in, adding likes – and of course your posts, and suggestions.

Cheers,

59c42ffdc79ba_1copy.thumb.jpeg.cb3522b2c25cb93ea94ca51b42d2f197.jpeg59c430025f17c_2copy.thumb.jpeg.253fb1ed4dfd5992d47e3be29dc2db19.jpeg59c43006b55ab_3copy.thumb.jpg.7964bebdd97fdbf604cfef3d08756074.jpg59c4300bae8a2_4copy.thumb.jpg.8a0f63c6ad7f926a18b4598dfda6259a.jpg59c4301198b96_5copy.thumb.jpg.9bc3ccae3efae22869d61845469342bb.jpg59c4301def5d4_6copy.thumb.jpg.b6ffd86199d512afd4864614102ca19f.jpg59c43024665f0_7Wasapins-JG2copy.thumb.png.459fb0f35866f06e92e741ef749ddb18.png

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Mates,

Working on trying to install the lower main. She is causing me a lot of "lack of foresight" headaches. I'll post an update with remarks after she's properly mounted- may be of help to others. It will work out - but with extra work. 

My intensions are to have the mounted sail appear similarly to the 1/10th's mount. Well sort of anyway ha ha ---

As always thanks for dropping by.

59cc3363ce8b7_IMG_7970copy.thumb.jpg.a6f42569c4c5eead128bc040b70f6121.jpg59cc34ad257b0_gIMG_6266copy(1).thumb.jpg.4eb6ca6853abc0f1b218fa2b6dc30045.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

You are doing a fine fine job Michael, the end is so near!

Looks beautiful !!
I am already curious about your solution for the "lack of foresight".

But beware for battle damage ;).

Always pleasure to follow your build

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Mates,

Thanks so much for the likes----

Patrick This is the root of the problem.

When I installed this triple block to its upper gun deck knighsthead and base along with spooling the ropes; I then secured and knotted the end of the rope to a cleat on the side (now below deck - in a super tight space).

So now that I need to attach the mainmast yard rope, I have no way of adjusting the "slack" that will be left over after looping the rope through the block, 

through the mast sheave, then attach this rope to the other side of the yard. Lack of rigging foresight - though I at least new to pre-spool the rope through the block (;-)

I will try to remove (with pliers) that bit below deck. Though I remember attaching a rod through the gun deck and adding glue to the base - wanted to be sure that it would not "pull away" when yard rope was attached. Once removed I can unknot the rope - grrrr 

In the meantime I decided to also add  the look of "working" parrels to the lower mainmast. The yard and mast are very visible since all shrouds are further aft. So will add blocks and rope to the center parrel line.

Regards,

59cd76cc0f302_IMG_7966copy.thumb.jpg.cf49a72c81fab160d088a26b3f7681e7.jpg

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

You can take up the slack at the yard.  Secure one leg of the tye to the yard with a cow hitch (like the end hitch for a ratline).  Take the tye up over the cap and then down to the rams head block abaft the mast then back up on the other side and over the cap and thence to the yard.  You should easily be able take up any slack in the tye while you are tying the second cow hitch.  BTW the cow hitches should be backed up by seizing the end of each leg of the tie to its standing part just above the hitch.

Regards,

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

Translating this text in to Dutch with google was not simple.
The naming of ship parts are a disaster on google translate .

If I understand correctly, the piece you want to loosen is firmly fixed and difficult to reach.
Is the risk of serious damage to your model not too big?

I would still wait a little with this work.
Perhaps someone finds a better solution without demolition work.

If I find something on time I'll let you know.

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Henry – Thanks so much for your suggestion! – indeed that technique was working, and would have been the perfect solution. Had it not been for  another miss-step on my part.

When I pulled the rams head block tight, to attach the second loop for the yard, it butted and interfered with the mizzenmast stay large block. The fixed slack that I had pre-determined was in error.

SO did need to try to remove the knightshead.

The flat back of tweezers allowed for a slight “snap” of sound tugging against the deck frame opening and the knights head itself. Then wiggling those pliers released that wood bit.

Its base and vertical “pin” along with that brass ring did not budge, but stayed in place attached to the upper gun deck. Reached in and cut the attached rope.

Now - looking at that knighsthead and how “poor” it is. I will just re-do that part entirely, also fashion better working “sheaves”. Proxxon will help.

=========================

Main lower yard is in place, working on that “functioning” parrels bit. Then after fixing “the problem” adjusting the ropes wont be an issue. The length the lower yard rope is “fixed” correctly so that ramshead will secure below the mizzen stay block.

Glad that it was not worse (:-) slight delay for the two mizzen yards. Its sail that will also be completely furled.

Patrick; Yes – noted - Google “AI” will hopefully never be used at the United Nations ha ha.

Again Mates thanks so much for your always kind help, likes, and visits.

Cheers,

1.thumb.jpg.ef6316b3b128f36935bddceb646b3799.jpg2.thumb.jpg.e031a0b052b3e93c659c7ec97217dffd.jpg3.thumb.jpg.8f2c3e53a99f2e1ae66c67e7089114c1.jpg4.thumb.jpg.ecc807576907080fed718e0a4f05f0e3.jpg5.thumb.jpg.41e35df6978a6ea18d67604bb1091b2f.jpg6.thumb.jpg.e0c67054e3d1eb8f37ee803ae7625b00.jpg7.thumb.jpg.18860fa22dd9a8dce37fe37eb74ec5d8.jpg

Edited by md1400cs
duplicate

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

I could only give your moral support ;).

But, I am glad that the demolition work has not resulted in any "battle damage".

She looks beautiful 

Regards, Patrick

Hi Mates,

Martyn thanks for your always nice comments.

====================

Continuing now with ropes for the main lower sail, well the sheaves that I had fashioned back when – well ropes would not spool through the backsides. Tried drilling through on each side of the pulley – Nope –did not work.

Removed the sheaves (more taking parts off – for repairs ha ha).  As can be seen – again not thinking ahead – did not allow for enough spacing for the ropes to travel through and around the back sides before the installations.

Easy fix Drilled larger holes – now ok.–

BUT museum rigging plan sheet – totally missed that, before attaching the ratline shrouds.

Not venting just sharing –

Cheers,

1.thumb.jpg.5a1cb884a81d41cdf68c9d7a9850ca04.jpg2.thumb.jpg.f254c899fcb597e029361b213b5b1d0f.jpg3.thumb.jpg.121493abee6dcd3c6c3f2bc36b530f7f.jpg4.thumb.jpg.3ec0ad24e913713876223e3b9f48b386.jpg5.thumb.jpg.5753c40732c672a5409a5b16c42f6691.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

she looks sweet!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Michael...... the more I look at your work the more amazed I am ............ if I'm not mistaken ...this is your first build???

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

On 9/29/2017 at 2:36 PM, md1400cs said:

When I pulled the rams head block tight, to attach the second loop for the yard, it butted and interfered with the mizzenmast stay large block. The fixed slack that I had pre-determined was in error.

And that is exactly why the knight is always offset from the centerline of the mast.  In reality, that rams head block would need to travel almost to the trestle trees under the top when the lower yard was lowered.

Regards,

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

Hi Mates,

Apologies for the late thanks - for the likes, and super nice comments.

Denis, Martin – so overly kind indeed.

Frank, she’s actually my second build. There was a 40-year gap between the Santa Maria and this current Vasa. Again you are also so kind with your compliments.

PS: Your HMAT Supply with its “years” of weathering and barnacled hull are way beyond my skill set. Love that build of yours!

Henry, Somehow I intuitively sorta new that that specific ramshead needed to be off center from the mast knowing that the mizzen mast stay would attach to the lower part of the main. It wasn’t knowledge – especially looking at the three plans that I was using. Nonetheless mounted the knight off center.

Thanks for your knowledgeable clarification –luck on my end.

Lower main yard is now attached. Added most needed lines as well; now onto the mizzen.

Cheers,

1.thumb.jpg.cea8b8f494abdcb2afa1fd3bc058c2f2.jpg2.thumb.jpg.df879e877fa83439d2a8d623769d204c.jpg3.thumb.jpg.5850a140faba182323c119da9514f45c.jpg5.thumb.jpg.58dfeecf4a7e6122ae1ad417614b0f63.jpg6.thumb.JPG.7efe967a74ac19bc7bd8b8e890d8e536.JPG7.thumb.jpg.b02fde60c168d97d46d2330017738acd.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

'Blimey' Michael.

I have only just started to read your log, and am barely through the first page and can tell that this is going to be a  build of great detail. I will be watching her grow with craftsmanship.

kier

Saving for: HMS Vanguard...Victory models.

finished: Bluenose11...Billing Boats... (sorry no log.

Michael whose  rope are you using?

frank

USRC "ALERT"

Frank: Using Chuck's at Syren as well as all of his blocks - (except those 6 big ones for the three mast stays those were Corel's).

At one time Syren also had pear wood blocks, that I really liked (miss those)- sorta blended the few that I had left over here-and there.

Regarding his ropes and blocks I find them to be superb. Order after order the quality stays 100%. And he ships right away. 

PS: his blocks out-of-the-box are excellent but "tweak" them just a bit. hardly needed (:-)

FYI: His company link is on the home page right side. I'm sure that you've seen it.

Kier - thanks SO much for your likes 

Zappto: thanks for your kind words.

Regards,

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

thanks Michael.......

frank

USRC "ALERT"

Hi Michael,

Looking excellent as usual!

I really like how the sails and the rigging is turning out.

With regards to the main halliard, I think you’ll find that it is indeed centered behind the mast.

It is the mizzen stay that is offset to port.

Usually hard to see on photos because of the angle required for a good picture does not seem to line up with visitor viewing points.. :-/

Here’s the best I could find:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/05/03/6c/05036c72fbbbe3af86e39dda5a8e0b2d.jpg

Here’s a picture of Clayton Johnson’s excellent model:

https://5881f258-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites.googlegroups.com/site/clayton707/swedishwarshipwasa/5.JPG?attachauth=ANoY7cq867DXhshM1gm1J-ta4ePpFgwa4p_KPc9UG45CYqGSQotA8LvT5q09GC4kb64l7gPdNVB8_HwC5Ft6zXIwvskG7AAlCUtJXmOV_qEtOH3msNBkYLRcaYuIPPQFVJgtAEhiYHOzlNeN6TMBsYawwP6e7HB3qpZOckJrZkVwTZz5Dynx1qka86aOeOF9bhXBrdpOsbs65b9SWpgofvr46SCPNZw3SC0mWBpwKpOnIutjMyMEJe4%3D&attredirects=0

I remember during this build there were extensive discussions with Fred Hocker at the Vasa museum over just about every detail.

This was one.

Hopefully clears up the mystery somewhat..

I believe that with models, due to challenges with scale, this becomes a bigger problem than the real ship (blocks easily get bigger, ropes thicker etc).

With thinner ropes and smaller blocks, the problem is less severe.

Also, the mizzen on the Vasa is not a large mast.

The main stay however does force the fore halliard to need to be placed off center, but remember; the main stay and the main yard halliard support some of the largest timbers on the ship.

(They kind of get priority)

In the end, I’d be hesitant to adjust fixed features of the ship to locations we know to be incorrect from surviving historical evidence.

If the solution does not match the historical evidence, clearly something is missing.

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by baskerbosse
detail added

Peter,

Thanks for the detailed info. much appreciated. I have extensively followed photos Clayton's build, and in fact noticed this as well. Then looking over several photos of the 1/10th ended up not sure either way. Looking at the 1/1, however it does seem to indicate a rather small opening into the upper gun deck for the ramshead pulley to attach to the knight. When I cut that part from the weather deck I was using Corel's info re: the size of the opening. And not being well informed seeing the foremast rams offset I just followed suit for the main.

Now regarding re-positioning that mizzen stay section that is attached to the lower part of the main -- well too late for any changes. I don't dare fiddle with pulling out those two small brass cleats in order to slightly offset the stay from center. I will repaint those poor looking knights ha ha

I very much appreciate your information and your super nice comment, as well - Thanks indeed

Cheers,

1.thumb.jpeg.74a5e4555a305dc15b45de8c6efc1dbb.jpeg2.thumb.jpeg.4ecf7d8d44ad8620c5666994b19ccf14.jpeg3.thumb.jpg.06e6f86d6c58e190ef0df0b0edb033db.jpg4.thumb.JPG.3d8f8c36411dd474201a6cb5d4457ff6.JPG5.thumb.JPG.80f9a13ca061cb10668482ded0080908.JPG6.thumb.jpg.f16ca2b8f210fd4daa72f34523a63bd2.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -