Wasa by md1400cs - FINISHED - Corel - 1:75

Your entire build is amazing work and a great example!

Completed:

Catalina from Mamoli (1/32)

European small river ship (scratch build) (1/50)

Currently building: Wasa from Corel (1/75)

Future: Titanic (Mantua), Batavia (Kolderstok), Friesland (Mamoli), Bismarck (Hachette), Prins Willem (Corel)

Michael,

I don't know whether I should be happy or upset by witnessing the end of a such beautiful build.

It was a privilege to see her flourish day by day...

Like a child who grows up and leaves home now...

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

the wood combination is awesome looking.......gonna make for a superb display  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Mates,

Andre: Thanks – much appreciated – it has been a challenge getting a Vasa sort of looking correct.

Ferit: Well the time that it has taken to almost finish this build I would imagine that some children have become teenagers.

Some builders whom I happily follow have completed three amazing ships in the time it has taken me to do this one – that is still not finished. Thanks so much for following along since I joined as well as some excellent advice that you have offered.

Zappto:  thanks for your very nice thoughts

Denis: Thanks, Yes, I am very happy with how the base came-out. Also thanks for your continued support.

All of the outer lines and pin rails have been installed and looped with coils. Now focusing on the last bits of the weather deck rigging. The “inner” bits that attach to knighthead rails.

PS: The mainmast rail is MUCH to close to the mast. My mistake I did not consider the stern leaning angle of the main mast. Still badly placed. Grrr. Installed - way back -before I new very much. 

Well these last ropes are challenging indeed. These fiddly bits are very hard to reach and “set” without disturbing/stretching already pre- attached and glued lines. Not a complaint – but it’s slow going - as you all know rigging is.

Foremast ropes will be easier to get to. 

Thanks for the likes & just dropping by…..

A few more pics.

Regards,

1.thumb.jpg.5c3bbd7c816138cfb7082887ce6016da.jpg2.thumb.jpg.9b9a6f03c5f850617894c4cc1062d9af.jpg5a6267c20a7a7_3copy.thumb.jpg.b3c350dca81c575e826b7293c6373e72.jpg5a6267c633fb3_4copy.thumb.jpg.47e88d2dbd66a36cdf6661960711fdf7.jpg

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Yes, trying to reach those lines and blocks around the main mast towards the end of the project can be very difficult and frustrating. Slow and steady does it! Looking good as always and I will echo the others sentiments in that the base does look great! I like the Pegasus stands, they add a little something extra to the stand that you don't always see.  

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Finished up the middle rail bits at the mainmast. The stern section is also done. - finally.

Here are a couple of mainmast shots. Now onto the foremast.

Regards,

IMG_8973.thumb.jpg.0cf84729086ee43955320e370e4f2d10.jpgIMG_8970.thumb.jpg.ceae9e86fd11686965045d96ebaa284a.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Amazing work level.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

At every look Michael, I notice an another new detail. IMO :o you too did not even think at the beginning you would end up this build with so much and nice details, presenting a reference document... Wonderful!...

Edited by Ferit KUTLU

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

Excellent looking build Michael, your detailing is amazing.

Mates,

Thanks for the likes. Always appreciated indeed,

OC., and Don – much too kind; thank you so very much.

EJ, thanks as well –PS: The base AND the Pegasus are getting some flack from the Admiral. She opines that the base looks like a kitchen cutting board, and the Pegasus are, “just ugly” Hmmm. It will resolve itself in due time (this particular issue will be –for her - a lost cause) She did say that she like the "boat" :)

Ferit Thanks as always. You are right I never imagined that this build would become as it looks today. I knew so little when I joined MSW. I had an inclination to challenge myself, but did not have a good knowledge base for achieving any detailed results.

Learned SO much here following other builders that the build details started falling into place as my learning and skills progressed; also so much good advice along the way from members posting – THANKS Mates.

=====================

Taking a break form finishing up the last of the foremast rigging, thought that I would attach the anchors.

Building the buoys. Used a soft basswood, as opposed to an already properly sized harder to shape dowel.

Oops was not gentle enough and it snapped. But almost done so it will work out. I will copy Frank’s (fmodajr) work from his Wasa log. Those buoys are perfect!! – Especially how he attached the ropes. Thanks Frank!! Last pic is his!

Regards,

1.thumb.jpg.fd525cf278f6bfc11e6ae42ebec0580e.jpg2.thumb.jpg.29ec776f4652c4b9348db7a841dbbe7e.jpg3.thumb.jpg.1b4dc6c1eafed83a848b2f539049cc71.jpg4.thumb.jpg.efac3b991d9869db96e8e3522f9e1da7.jpg5.thumb.jpg.a97b82be0495478be8c69eb30ad59b16.jpg5a68e784430ff_frankswork.thumb.jpg.3f8e4ae5f502861084c6f1419fc2c874.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Amazing work and what a brilliant way to make the anchor attachments,     What i love about this site is the way someone can come here knowing nothing, and with time and friendly conversations and interacting with each other, we learn so much and advance our boat building knowledge.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

who knows,  she may like it more when your finished and the ship is in her case  ;)   super progress!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mates,

Took some “away” time off (first flight in a B787 - sweet machine) back at the shipyard. It was also nice catching up to some of the yards that I have been following - still some to go :imNotWorthy: Such talent here at MSW.

Finished up the buoys and installed both anchors. Need to do a lot of touch up work as well (cannon doors, painted figures etc.)

Also working on a visual fix for the anchor block ropes so that they won’t look slack – but instead appear to bear the weight of the anchors.

If it works I’ll share FYI. -- In fact I want to do this for many other slack hanging ropes along the hull, and off of the sails where ropes running through blocks don’t look right.

Cheers,

1.thumb.jpg.4352fadf97307000b48aec931f5adf98.jpg3.thumb.jpg.866674ead1a8cd0e77701eb2635feaa9.jpg4.thumb.jpg.6902703611d28247b397153acab2bbb4.jpg5.thumb.jpg.b55987eefd464c38a70410a7c30b24a6.jpg6.thumb.jpg.ec35ae9075c8c179fa51fde74336fcc9.jpg8.thumb.jpg.9c0946470fee88905c5b0d3442d899bf.jpg9.thumb.jpg.3c9980f7ca350fb946d0faad02de8d3b.jpg5a85b42ac9351_10copy.thumb.jpg.19fa0c5de29cc00d6d62fbdd28d17744.jpg

2.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

I think time will decrease the slack in the cathead lanyard pulleys.......perhaps if you put a clamp on the anchors,  as added weight for a short time,  it may help.  glad to see your back and enjoyed seeing your superb progress.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

In addition to the added weight, maybe add a diluted glue to the rope to stiffen them in place. That might be enough that once dry, the rope will appear to remain under tension.

Vacations and breaks from the ship yard are good to have. Often times you come back rested with new ideas and motivation to keep on. Glad your back! 

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

really like your choice on the base........

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

So found a solution to the slacking rope.

Denis, thanks you were also to be part of my answer.

EJ, I had thought of that, but was concerned that the diluted glue might remove some of the rope details, and remain visible. AND that I would mess it up.

So:

1) Yes, add resistance to the rope.

2) Using the Admiral’s starch dribbled some onto a paint brush

3) Applied all over the rope making sure it got a good soaking.

4) Used a hair dryer (low heat) to dry the starch.

5) Waited a few minutes and then removed the clamps; hurrah ropes remained looking taut.

Came out perfect, and starch disappeared once dry (as it should) leaving the rope, well, starched stiff.

Too simple - took a while to think of this haha

Frank as always thanks

IMG_9051.thumb.jpg.5b72074e39b077f72161419153544937.jpgIMG_9052.thumb.jpg.841cd47e276560482059379c33dfba46.jpgIMG_9053.thumb.jpg.48d9e118a47addb2c0864bff06d4c45c.jpgIMG_9054.thumb.jpg.cf2be80d2aa17731435fb5b76c90928d.jpgIMG_9058.thumb.jpg.eb244744cd0a0b28a5c9be3e99570e98.jpg5a85f594b1745_IMG_9061copy.thumb.jpg.c6442b7e83bf3cf8a883c3c7f8e65181.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

when you mentioned starch......I thought hair spray.   although I think merely getting the rope wet and using the hair dryer might have been effective as well.  you accomplished what you wanted to do,  and the rope looks good as a result.   very resourceful  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

58 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

when you mentioned starch......I thought hair spray.   although I think merely getting the rope wet and using the hair dryer might have been effective as well.  you accomplished what you wanted to do,  and the rope looks good as a result.   very resourceful  ;) 

"Hairspray"........:huh:

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

hair spray is like spray starch........dried with a hair dryer,  you'd likely get the same results.  my grand mother swore by it!  ;)   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

23 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

hair spray is like spray starch........dried with a hair dryer,  you'd likely get the same results.  my grand mother swore by it!  ;)   

I used hairspray/straiteners and a hair dryer  and got funny looks of the admiral  -  I am bald.:huh:;):D

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I didn't think about using starch though after using it for years on my Navy uniforms you would think that it would have come to mind. :rolleyes:

Maybe I'm still trying to block out parts from those days.... :P

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Martyn: as always thanks so much.

EJ: Funny - yes old stuff can come back around

==========================

This is of course old (normal) news to all of you “veterans” reading this particular post, rigging being a big part of  most builds.

That said, I was actually a bit overwhelmed when so many lines just kept flopping onto the weather deck with the addition on running sail rigging lines. This build being my first effort at (exclusive of the very simple first Santa Maria back in the mid 70s) adding hung, and furled sails along with making sure that all needed shrouds, blocks, pin holes were included for all three masts using plans from three diff. sources was a reach for me at the time. Learned as I progressed (along with many mistakes) but

– it actually worked out  - to my big surprise - Two pics.

1) my “overwhelmed time” photo, and

2) the almost finished results. 

Yes, I know you've all been there. and I have seen amazing very helpful rigging logs here at MSW - I had not been there - a challenge well worth the personal effort IMO.

Regards,

5a88705bba45d_IMG_8050copy.thumb.jpg.d2da36f38372d9e3ba906ba322b15e1b.jpgIMG_9066.thumb.jpg.be2a90c20e3a5a3914a5f6f691fc92af.jpg

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

It's amazing how things fall into place.....:huh:...... Michael , this build of yours is definitely one of the finest on this site... outstanding workmanship!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

That is a great before and after set of pictures. Amazing really! And to think, that could easily be what a ship's deck looked like during battle and yet, those sailors could still manage to make sense of that confusion and keep the ship workable.

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart