Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Congratulations on a masterpiece of a build. I can only imagine the skill level involved in a creation of this caliber. I'm starting the standing rigging on my Wasa. I'm interested in the case you chose for your Wasa. It is very sleek in design but understated as to not distract from the ship. My friend who I am making my Wasa for just loves the case. Can you give me any information about the case? The price and manufacturers of the case. I look forward to seeing your next build. Thanks and regards 

congratz again Michael.........such a stunning model.........now in her case  {which looks equally as nice by the way  ;) }   you went over the top and beyond on this project...every inch shows your efforts!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks to all of you for such kind comments. SO appreciated indeed.

I goofed up trying to add a "link" under my new current build and now this huge first photo from the new log appears within my signature each time that I now post comments.

I wont post until its fixed. Have absolutely no intentions of stepping over any build that I follow with my ridiculous "new" signature

SORRY mates. I tried to delete the link - went to my "signature" area can't seem to just delete it. grrrr

Looked for help at the appropriate site area but can't find what I need to fix this mess grrrr (2)

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

I have had the pleasure of watching this fantastic build grow since your first post

CONGRATULATIONS

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

On 3/13/2018 at 3:52 PM, jhart65 said:

Congratulations on a masterpiece of a build. I can only imagine the skill level involved in a creation of this caliber. I'm starting the standing rigging on my Wasa. I'm interested in the case you chose for your Wasa. It is very sleek in design but understated as to not distract from the ship. My friend who I am making my Wasa for just loves the case. Can you give me any information about the case? The price and manufacturers of the case. I look forward to seeing your next build. Thanks and regards 

Thanks for your kind words as well. Regarding the case; it was custom made to my exact design, size and specifications by a local wood-shop. As for the cover, I took the completed wood base and had a plastic speciality shop make a plexiglass cover, again to my exact needed height and, of course to fit the wood base. Price will vary, as you know based on needed size. 

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Mates,

AGAIN I am so touched by your overly generous comments and likes. A special thanks to those of you that actually endured following this very long build to its end :imNotWorthy:

Signature got fixed - Thanks to moderator's team.

Regards,

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Peter,

Fair question

Ah yes - those now, in this household, infamous Pegasus. As some of you may know, they got “planked” by the Admiral as soon as she saw them trying to be included as part of the base. (I may be sharing too much J

It turns out that with the small mounting braces that I made they crowded the area, and did not correctly fit under the ship.

Also, visually they took too much away from the minimalist case that I had intended.

So the Admiral was relieved that I did not place them inside the case. “It’s all good” - Oh well, I may put them on eBay.

IMG_7475.thumb.jpg.d04a9cda7d6f5aefa5d8c9671dcce977.jpgIMG_9395.thumb.jpg.bd9444b3896385b145d5ae26b848260d.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Michael

I have enjoyed your build and have learned a lot for modifitications I have/am going to copy on my Vasa also.

Looking forward to your new build log.

Jan V. 

current build: Vasa-1628 Corel / Battle Station Mantua/Panart,

previous: Statenjacht / Cross section HMS Victory / diorama shipyard

Late congratulations, Michael. It was great to follow your log and see ALL the details coming alive in só beautiful a ship, as the Wasa comes to be. Marvelous piece to expose!!

Superb  and what a journey you have taken us on  -  Thank You.:cheers:

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Mates,

One last BIG thank you for all of your amazingly touching comments. Some of you have been my teachers.

B.E., as an example, you were so diplomatic in your comments regarding how I was doing some things incorrectly (I knew so little back then). Help and suggestions such

as yours, and from other kind members who posted suggestions helped to make this build what it has become today. Certainly bashing the basic kit helped. As well as available photos of the ship.

Syren's ropes and blocks (thanks Chuck) I'll be ordering again soon.also helped to create a more realistic project.

From other logs I learned about adding running rigging and sails.

All in all -- thanks mates.

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Michael,

I just took a look again through your wonderful build log! It is really an amazing and fantastic bouild, your Wasa! 

Unfortunataly I had not enough time in the past to look continuously through your post. But the result now is great!

Big gratulations for finishing it in this way!

Regards, Joachim

My new Book in ENGLISH and GERMAN available:

"The colour blue in historic shipbuilding"

http://www.modellbau-muellerschoen.de/buch-en.htm

Current build   Amerigo Vespucci    http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/836-amerigo-vespucci-by-schiffebastler-mantua-model-scale-184-italien-sail-training-ship-build-1931/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History:

http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

• 1 year later...

Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 6 months later...

Hi Mates,

This needed to be done – so taking a slight break from my current build, to revisit the Vasa for a New Lantern

The one I installed was indeed “just wrong”, as was also very diplomatically pointed out by Marc (Hubac’s Historian) some time -- way back….

And it’s mounted too high as well. Still learning….

Note – that the Vasa stern lantern has never been recovered – so it’s really a sort of guessing game as to how it might have actually looked.

I got a new (third one – 4th counting Corel’s) more appropriate, example so finally doing some preliminary work.

I had, to first decide whether or not to gut the interior in order to add a center candle (a detail that I wanted to feature) – well that was not an option – skill set not there.

Could have just added the plastic windows and be done. Windows came from another source after some cutting and trimming – they look just fine.

(YES very incorrectly) added candles to each of the six panels.

Here are some beginning images of the work, so far. Thanks for your re-visit to this log.

1.thumb.jpeg.14d258c5eee71ccecb3200ecbf72af3a.jpeg2.thumb.jpg.981b7ff94687ba788cc8ca7495dedfa8.jpg3.thumb.jpg.7017753e1e88cccc4830c0093217cc31.jpg4.jpeg.e05cc027e8a766e56529e217396c06ce.jpeg5.jpg.4af865b4bbe0488c77917228d2fc6745.jpg6.thumb.jpg.78662d31a97e3d0d880edef2dfbe8c0e.jpg7.thumb.jpg.ee7acafffd30050a921587a9d0528e86.jpg8.thumb.jpg.00ec073f817dc98ed93ce245c67b8f9e.jpg9.jpg.2edc868b9b1ac3aa58cf18def05c0dd6.jpg10.thumb.jpg.36e8d064481cc62855d313d8605e91e7.jpg11.thumb.jpg.0e59145d700a12a912f05a22c7c0e893.jpg12.thumb.jpg.c74a01dfbdce32129372cd5b183b8933.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

...and there's Michael....."trying to shed new light!"  :D    I can agree with you........some of the kit supplied stuff is terrible.  so far your enhancement of the lantern is looking quite promising!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Mates,

Thanks for your nice thoughts and visits,

Here are some updated images.  Next post will be when installed.

Cheers

1.thumb.jpg.3371076b2ea83d90ae82f4e84731d003.jpg2.jpg.089c1e231c4f9e232312e6f2d0e115e3.jpg3.jpg.d8c8fbcd4d4cf2fa2abd131008ee7ecb.jpg4.jpg.dc50834dadd28aba04598fc897b50672.jpg5.jpg.45d44c8b76be94236bea51eedb56571b.jpg6.jpg.220591a2c5df4e4881c7451c121d26ff.jpg7.jpg.d3252e775a74cc3a611c1b078b23eaad.jpg8.thumb.jpg.746c3e97b1daf931b98881e7e478f385.jpg9.jpeg.cfab637c4a1a43e876f25d3df3196e1a.jpeg10.thumb.jpg.bbd7aca5d368120a000183cccbe80310.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

I've been following your excellent work Mark, very impressive.

Thankyou, your build will be very inspirational and useful when it's time for me to build the Wasa. :) 

Dry Dock H.M.S. Victory 1805 - Corel SM 23- 1/98 - Build blog  :  Shipwright  Marcus Lowrey 📐

Next kit Build  Wasa 1628 - Corel  SM 13 - 1/75 ... or HMS Endeavour 1768 - Corel  SM 4- 1/60

Plans I have acquired the following plans for ship builds

1. H.M.S. Unicorn 1790 - Corel DM 11- 1/75
  2. L'Etoile schooner 1932 - Billings Boats NR.572 - 1/50
  3. Lancia Armata (Armed Launch) 1803 - Panart GEN.84 - 1/54
  4. Royal Caroline 1749 (Royal Charlotte 1761) - Panart 1.4.85 - 1/47
  5. H.M.S. Endeavour 1768 - Corel DM 41 - 1/60
  6. H.M.S. Endeavour Bark 1768 - Artesania Latina - 1/60

Instructions only and missing plan cut out's

1. Santa Maria 1492 - art.1009 (italy) - 1/65
  2. Cutty Sark 1869 - Revell - 1/98
  3. H.M.S. Bounty 1787 - Amati art.1032 - 1/60 with 'Supplementary Instructions' from Modeller's Shipyard. 

Wishlist 

1. La Licorne from Tintin (Le Soliel Royale) - a kit bash build - Tintin Unicorn ship discussion
  2. The Black Pig from Pugwash the Pirate (something with 6 guns below deck, 3 masts)

Wow... I'm at a loss for words... :imNotWorthy:

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Javlin: way too kind – thanks so appreciated 

Dark Angel: Glad that you will find some inspiration – so kind of you to post. I’ve also found so much inspiration from builds that I follow here as well. Cheers.

Richard: Thanks so much – your work, BTW, is brilliant indeed

EJ: We’ve been following each other’s builds for quite a while now – as always so kind of you thanks.

Not quite finished – but now done. Afterthoughts made me think that those vent stacks (not correct anyway) but still needed a bit more of a fix.

So done here – now for the install – Need to coordinate with the Admiral - she will need the Vasa's resting space in Feb for a party she’s having (baby shower –for a friend’s daughter) – so will remove the Vasa, and its case then. This lantern will certainly look more appropriate - glad that I finally got around to this bit.

Mates thanks for the likes and just dropping by,

1.jpg.3cafc43a9aee1ab77f009a2b5fc16379.jpg2.thumb.jpg.08124abd3039d421b79effcc8d0a4a94.jpg3.jpg.851d184b6bb046b798893789c4c6d527.jpg5.jpg.29091be84416259c13332d033281b5cf.jpg6.thumb.jpg.a7a197770e1e91e2f273292b2fbebc22.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -