Lady Anne by kruginmi - FINISHED - 1:50 - kitbash of Artesania Latina Harvey

• 2 weeks later...

With the deck starting to come together I opted to tackle the Mast / Deck area next.  The kit envisioned a very pain affair (pic 1).  This would never do.  So after marking the angle of the deck on the mast, also the required height required for the lower boom it was off to the races for adding the basswood addition. 

The mast was cut into a rectangular area where the connection area was and basswood pieces glued in (pic 2).  After shaping the basswood to insure a snug fit to the deck (quite a rake to the mast) I then measured the mast wedges and removed the wood to allow the wedge pieces to be introduced (pic 3).  After some initial shaping and refinement the mast was test fit and the effect verified (pic 4).  I think some additional thinning could be good but overall a good couple hours of work.  Now for the foremast.

For the eagle eyed people out there, the question must be waiting to be asked: "Why wasn't the boom shelf added above the new additions prior to these being glued in?"  Excellent question / point.  As soon as I figure out how I will get that done I will proudly state why I did it that way - LOL.

Stay Building My Friends - Mark

mast base (0).JPG

mast base (1).JPG

mast base (5).JPG

mast base (7).JPG

Seems to me this build has loitered far too long.  I keep finding more stuff to improve / modify / create and that equals time.  So many projects on the shelf.  I have decided to to keep things moving and not just slap it together, but push forward.  The primary purpose of this build is to work out rigging construction techniques, being a full representation of the Pride of Baltimore.

With the deck getting tidied up, the natural next steps where the yards, with the fore yard the biggest.  I had previously tried my hand at this yard but it was early in my career (lol).  The basswood middle section (installed in eight sections) definitely had problems at the mating with the walnut.  First up (pic1) I excised these sections and used four pieces of basswood (a LOT easier) which was then carved and sanded to the appropriate shape.  They stick out color wise a little, so I did both sides to the same dimensions:  make it symmetrical and you can say it is an artistic add.

For the metal hoop in the middle I opted for black paper (scrap booking).  The extension piece was boxwood for strength.  On the first try I eyeballed it and didn't use a correct circumference - it didn't fit around the foremast.  I redid it a second time.  Add some cleats at the end (after appropriately beveling the ends) and call it good.  Not entirely accurate but as stated earlier, a good compromise.

Pic 2 shows the yard on deck and Pic 3 gives the overall look at the width effect.  

Now for the remaining two yards followed by the booms.  This ship will not have studding sails, but will have a ring tail sail.

Mark

foreyard (2).JPG

foreyard (4).JPG

foreyard (5).JPG

Today to keep things moving I decided to tackle the main boom.  Lots of little details to be worked out - the hull is different from the Pride of Baltimore rigging plans I am using so I need to adjust, like extending the boom length.Again happy with the result and in only a few hours.

58e95e62d9f08_MainBoom(3).JPG.f8a47e5d3a7ed98740f2b6bfad37bddb.JPG

Lots of tiddly bits, made from the scrapwood pile.  Boxwood for the jaws, and basswood for everything else.  Metal straps are again scrapbooking black paper.  Even needed cleats on the underside.  I am reminded why I like 1/48th scale, I couldn't have done this any smaller.

58e95e638e046_MainBoom(4).JPG.9b4f6c0beb5244aa0812774b73be328e.JPG

Still need the boom rest added to the main mast and the ring tail boom extension but that will be for another day.

58e95e6444402_MainBoom(6).JPG.73022b23160bd67da2d054460e3d6752.JPG

Cheers!  Mark

Trying to keep the momentum going (when possible) today I tackled the fore and main gaffs, as well as the ringtail boom and yard.  The gaffs are essentially the same sans length, so I inverted the main gaff to show the two ringbolts underneath both.  On top is a triangular piece of wire spanning the jaws that the rigging attaches to.

58ead8043a0f2_GaffsandRingtail.JPG.95d71a3b166fe27f8b36dbf41e8d726e.JPG

Whoops, forgot to final shape the jaws (the camera never lies - LOL).  They will be symmetrical shortly.

Next up are the fore topsail and topgallant and then to hack the bowsprit into something befitting such a vessel.   Thanks for stopping by!  -Mark

Not too bad for a few days work.  I got all the booms and yards done for the ship.  A lot more doing than sitting around thinking that is for sure.  This afternoon finished the fore topsail and topgallant yard arms.  Pretty happy with the result.

58ed5c1c81aee_yards(2).JPG.445994cec34a87258db1b2fc627586f2.JPG

Close up of the fore yards:

58ed5c1d3cfc0_yards(3).JPG.3d210bcb32b35f4c45642ace995447f7.JPG

Close up of the main boom and gaff (along with ring tail boom and gaff).  Top of pic is the the fore gaff.

58ed5c1de3e66_yards(6).JPG.0c629de7d6ad30962c989a526c242dde.JPG

Next up is hammering the jib boom into shape.

I did start pondering the actual rigging of the ship and am opting for the use of wire for attaching the blocks.  As an earlier example I include a pic of my first ship (the Swift of course).  I hopefully will do a more accurate job of using the wire but the visual is there:

58ed5c1e8c822_yards(9).JPG.74510325584b4755d8e11c6fa6a8b64d.JPG

I like the color of the wire (I have lots more on the spool) and am thinking of using it as is.

Stay Building My Friends - Mark

Time for a little bowsprit bashing.  I didn't like the Harvey design at all.  So, a little Pride of Baltimore and a little Krug sprinkled in for good measure.  Add a couple of hours and whamo.  The lateral foot rope supports should be on a hinge to connect, but again, not to extend this build unnecessarily as well as provide a more realistic foot rope droop it is now fixed.  I haven't glued in the jib boom as of yet.

Still have the lashings from the stem to the bowsprit, and from the bowsprit to the jib boom.

Next up is to work my way up the foremast and add all the necessary connect points.    -Mark

bowsprit (2).JPG

bowsprit (1).JPG

On to finishing up the foremast.  My aim through these steps is to finish up the base construction (no blocks affixed) so that I can sanding seal and then apply the top clear coat.

I see that 7 more cleats are required at the base of the mast.  I really did not like what I produced for the main boom and this was the kick to fix it.  I produce a wood profile with my Byrnes saw and some circle file work on the top of the piece.  I then constructed a jig that would allow me to cut equal sized cleats using my razor saw.  Worked like a charm.  A little sanding for shape afterwords and I am back in business (definitely love ~1/48th scale).

58f14a56cf7ea_jigs(1).JPG.43639f9f9cb9e68e0e8e9d3058b18023.JPG

In the following compare the new cleat (center) with two old ones near the base.

58f14a5778c9e_jigs(2).JPG.7ab6b745e372479cb140f57323b366fd.JPG58f14a5567993_foremast(1).JPG.787108da66f9835f527529fc664d4450.JPG

Added all the fiddley bits to the mast head and above.  I did run into an issue with the mast as built (for the Harvey) had a much shorter head height to deploy the three blocks holding up the fore boom (peak halliard line) .  I decided to use the top ring bolt both for the main topmast stay and the peak halliard.  That will work.  I added my iron (paper) band just below the mast head and affixed two ring bolts for the base of the futtock shrouds.

I also did some superior mast shaping above to create two ledges (and thru holes) above for the necessary lines running up from the jib boom and used for the yards if I do say so myself. 

58f14a5624a5b_foremast(2).thumb.JPG.34242a6685548f9654e34d265644f413.JPG

As I start to gather my supplies for actual rigging the following jig does wonders for me (with some thanks to Chuck for the pictorial).  You can see (and feel) examples of various sizes of line for positive reinforcement.  At the top of the line size chart I have annotated in pencil what this corresponds to in 1/48 scale (2" to 10").58f14a5832c36_jigs(4).JPG.72c0d87366c39621af82801182dd95e4.JPG

A little more clean up on the foremast and then on to the main.  Hopefully by the end of the weekend these should all be done.  After this the last remaining pieces to fit are the cannons (to chase of marauders).  I don't like their current look so will have to come up with something.  Of the six I have, four will be stowed to the bulkhead wall.

Stay Building - Mark

I have the mainmast up to par.  The mast head height was greater than the foremast was everything fit in fine.

58f3c1f2cd5c8_MainMast(1).thumb.JPG.235714fafbbf225255f8c4d6168d0c99.JPG

To clear the deck house the main boom needed to be higher than I wanted.  My ship, so I am saying it allows the crew better deck working conditions.  Everything  visually looks good to go. 

58f3c1f394358_MainMast(3).JPG.95baa763860050cf96ebb76fa43f2ba8.JPG58f3c1f44e6e6_MainMast(5).JPG.11d5c98575a0763fc5e0210a6112ff0b.JPG

Next up is to figure out the makeup and content of the cannons do a final check that everything is accounted for.  Then sanding sealer and a clear coat over everything.

-Mark

Pulled the cannons out of storage and did some rehab on them.  Pulled the kit supplied wheels off and replaced with ones cut from a walnut dowel.  They were glued into position (do not actually rotate).  Pretty simple rigging prep - continental breeching as shown by one cannon, and just the block and tackle from the bulkhead to the rear of each carriage.58f6c30dc8d67_Newcannons(3).JPG.99e558c151a2ebdc3c7341b83c146947.JPG

I have eight cannon ports but since this is not a warship I will only affix the center four.  These are used to keep marauders and riff raff at bay.  The rest of the cannon are stored in the hold.  This also helps a lot with deck clutter.

58f6c30cc43b4_Newcannons(2).JPG.a85e329cdafd697e47f8dd41c1f181ba.JPG

Finally, to keep the cannon from wandering on the deck (and make rigging easier) I have them affixed with a dowel through their base.  Can't get much more solid than that.

58f6c30b728c0_Newcannons(1).JPG.621c64b1feef042fa3cb9479de36e713.JPG

I still need to put the ring bolts into the bulkhead but I am putting the cannons themselves into the done column (besides blackening that last cannon).  -Mark

I did a first pass at the rigging block requirements and I am running just shy of 200 blocks (I won't even say what the original kit supplied).

Note:  I did replace all the snatch blocks with single blocks.

58fe82f729d08_BlocksA.JPG.c2f11dc6d157be3ba6bd5cc0ebb2e063.JPG

58fe82f7ae5ac_BlocksB.JPG.ca51685d0d06c199a9944b9724f1e707.JPG

I definitely will need a second/third pass for confirmation but using Chuck's services this is around $80, which is great.  I hopefully will get these as a celebration once I find that great new job (recently downsized - that is a bummer).  Hoping to pick these up soon!

In the meantime I will work on finalizing all the deck / mast / yard / booms / gaffs so they can be sealed and clear coated.  I do need to figure out the hull anchor points for the main shrouds.

-Mark

I did a second pass and updated the previous post with the new improved spreadsheet.  I opted for the slightly larger blocks than true scale (for my stump fingers and also to make them actually usable).  I also specked out some line.  This will be quite the adventure.  How many blocks will be eaten by the floor monster?

Quite the hours pouring over the plans, switching pages every 30 seconds.  Just when you think you have it figured out, you see another line that you need to trace and figure out.  I am opting out of the studding sails to make this easier - LOL.  It is interesting thinking about what size line you think should be used and then actual pull out some samples and realize how over sized your thinking is.  Guess I am use to looking at models with that over sized rigging.

I am going to use the Harvey supplied line for the ratlines.  Not quite authentic but it will look pretty good.

Now for some last checking of the deck and then on to sealing and clear coating.  

-Mark

Still working forward on the details.  I needed to add two Fairleads, one for the lines coming from the bowsprit on the forward bulwark and another on the foremast trestletrees for the sail lines (buntlines, leechlines and reef tackle).  Oh, the forward belay pins had originally been affixed too far into the ledge.  Easy enough fix - drill new holes in the correct place and then cover the old ones with a decorative piece of walnut.

P1010001.JPG.08c7b16103a94208b5f30c60608051bc.JPGP1010002.JPG.c32bcb38a71b920bd1feb87767df737d.JPG

The forward section of the deck looks pretty neat and tidy now.  Just have one side of that handle to bend into shape.

P1010003.JPG.05e80b8f7db6233bc2d16fef2e0acba4.JPG

For the sealing and clear coating I have chosen the following:

P1010005.JPG.3f5b15f62e05dd2f3236ef97e350512f.JPG

I am hoping to begin sealing the lower hull in the next week.    -Mark

Thanks to my beautiful wife (and Chuck Passaro) I now have in my possession the blocks required for rigging this ship - part of my birthday celebration.

5907428af10b4_Blocks(2)mini.JPG.4cc234c8bb44c2f5ccc12d922869d572.JPG

Additionally I have taken the plunge and sealed the outer hull (2 coats) then applied 3 coats of clear.  That really made it pleasing to the eye.

5907428bbde49_Sealing(2).JPG.f8e6a5a4fb1b8ce783271b9e2c15ba38.JPG

For a before and after comparison, the jib is sealed but not clear coated.  The bowsprit and hull are.

5907428c73618_Sealing(3).JPG.0af714bcf6651eb0edc3b8838d2bf1dd.JPG

Now I have to do the same to the deck, which is cluttered. I will take it slow and may only do 1 coat of each.  The masts are now done and the yards, gaffs, booms, etc should be quick.  This is really coming together.  I like it.

Stay Building My Friends   -Mark

Hey howya goin Mark mate, shes coming along nicely mate keep it up.   :bird-vi:

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

Mark,

Yes with work of this high quality Chuck's blocks ARE indeed "required".

Cheers, 

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Thanks everyone, really appreciate you stopping by.

This build has been hard for me.  Originally an out of box simple build which snowballed.  I keep trying to walk the knife's edge of keeping it 'simple' yet being something I believe worthy of the time.  Hull OK, entire deck structure scrapped and scratched, entire rigging plan scrapped and scoped to Pride of Baltimore actual rig.  I keep going down rabbit holes.  Trying for progress in a worthwhile time, thus the blocks from Chuck.

I have never done a rigging job as complex as this, a definite learning curve.  I am hoping any further issues should be minimal (other than those sails......).

Mark

Hi Mark,

lovely model, very nice fitting out, masting, yards....., the fastening of the cannons per dowel is a good idea ;)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hey, Nils - still productive as always I see!

Working this afternoon on placing the chains (or in my case the brass strips) for the deadeyes.  I have decided to opt for tan shroud lines with black ratlines.  Should look pretty nice.  The thread shown is the line to be used.  Once figured out, I can start manufacturing the brass and affix to hull.  

590b6fd6b6377_ShroudBasemini.thumb.jpg.ae445c335b9c543869ae39ef833f1ed6.jpg

Unfortunately I cannot start to put the shrouds up until I figure out my job situation.  If I have to move, it would definitely be safer to have these masts lying flat.

-Mark

Hi Mark .. Looking Great !.. I too am going with Tan rigging (though a bit darker in my case) instead of Black .. I also understand the 'taking time to get things looking worthy of that time' approach and I am not going by the 'out of the box' kit either.. which takes even more time.. Holy Moly it's a wonder we have gotten so far as we have :rolleyes:

Cheers

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Hi Mark

Keep up the good work. It will be worth it when you have her completed and sitting up all beautiful. It took me years to finish my Jenny Belle (AL Harvey) after I abandoned the kit after completion of the hull. In the end I think it all worked out quite good.

Cheers

Blackie

Current build: Amati Shamrock V 1:80

Past Builds: Kits: Schooner for Port Jackson, MSY and St Lucia (Tartane), Panart, Modified Harvey, AL

Scratch: Captain Cook III Pilot Steamer, Kookaburra II motor launch, Sydney Heritage Fleet Steam Tug Waratah

Working to clean up the details around the hull, and next up was the chains.  The original kit specked out actual chains around the dead eyes (or was it rigging line).  Either way, I needed to do something different.  The task was to come up with something that could look good and didn't take too long.  I decided to go with brass.

I pulled out my graduated ring tools (found in the jewelry section of the local hobby store) and wrapped some wire close to the shape of the dead eye.  I also cut a strip of brass and rolled the end.

590e6f7e0f5bb_chains(1).thumb.JPG.18075b79e31265f75369db04d668e0d7.JPG

Then it was a matter of putting the three together and clipping the ends of the ring (both wires overlap under the strap).  Then some bending and a test fit on the hull.   FYI:  The right most deadeye shown below was accidentally crushed in my pliers.  It was easily popped out and replaced with a usable one.

590e6f80357c4_chains(2).thumb.JPG.e0f5cd6cc25c2f316f53819b79586da3.JPG

I added a rail cap and cut in slots for accurately locating the straps as well as providing a nice clean finish.  Now to repeat over 20 more times.

590e6f8252af5_chains(4).thumb.JPG.43f9fe261f2273e716c5dbc869d7082a.JPG

- Mark

Well, I got the first of four chain plates completed.  The camera sure brings out all the blemishes (lol) but all things considered I am happy with the result.  Everything lines up shroud wise so that makes it ship shape.  Already almost completed the other side.

590fc29aa6935_firstshrouds(1).JPG.142418c12f3750c34f9b62af9b362564.JPG590fc29c01f07_firstshrouds(3).JPG.437fa109713202581114d3d8f547fcf4.JPG590fc29d6cd57_firstshrouds(4).thumb.JPG.94643afe88b6731a5aa52f9fd1bdb9be.JPG

Two job interviews tomorrow so hopeful this is positive ju-ju (hoping for a third to make it a trifecta).  -Mark

Methodically working through the chain plates.  I definitely got faster as time (and repetition) added up.  I ended up modifying my approach by going to a thinner wrap wire and wrapping ends around brass holder piece.  I also put back the window bars on the aft crew house.  Time for some clean up and to tidy up loose ends (like the cathead caps).  59135061af8b8_ChainsFinal(2).JPG.83b51c82033b03894d0fcf6073addfd2.JPG59135062835df_ChainsFinal(3).JPG.660d2bf62a6becfce0cee688f55c21c0.JPG591350635a39f_ChainsFinal(7).JPG.66480942939d180cbb472451f4df531e.JPG

Interviews went pretty well, but of course success means moving on to the next interview phase.  I don't know if I will need to move or not so am restricted to what I can do.  My hope is to finish enough that I can take (masts down) to the next location and start working rigging without any construction left if required.  However, working the Lady Anne is a great stress reliever for me.

-Mark

Some more of the fiddly bits.  Every day I am trying to move the ball forward.  Today was the catheads and water casks.

For the catheads I used a dowel to add faux disks and then capped everything off with a piece of walnut and sanded the edges.  These still need to be sealed and clear coated.

5914c0f74d9fd_bitsandpieces(5).JPG.c3e6ed2c55584f6768e030cdb4674275.JPG

For the casks I opted for the method used on the mast iron bands.  I cut and sanded off the provided rings (seen on upper cask) then used scrapbooking black paper cut in strips to re-install.  Pretty happy with the result, and less than an hour total.  Still need to clear coat.  The key for the rings was to apply painters tape at the edge of each ring prior to gluing (one at a time).  Once on correctly, the band was glued up and put on the cask butting against the tape.  Worked like a charm.

5914c0f673e4e_bitsandpieces(4).JPG.ce451c44445f56e92b071e7604d46fdc.JPG

Stay Building My Friends,  -Mark