Ann McKim by birder - 1/96 - CARD

birder

This is a continuation of the build started some time ago, but continuing forward, hull plans were scaled from Chapelle's Search for Speed Under Sail, older images of progress I may be able to find, but went on to use copper tape for hull plates, now working on deck furnishings and hopefully chainplates and plans for masting before too long (wishful thinking?)

post-5639-0-87257300-1377200414_thumb.jpg

post-5639-0-42846600-1377200426_thumb.jpg

Regards, Glen

Hi Chris, yes trying to get this old drydock moving again...and having fun with it so far. Deck furnishings are not attached yet, but coming close to considering some rigging...have made one of the brass 9's this vessel carried (I think for show mostly) and fun to be working on a ship again..

Regards, Glen

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Glen,

This is a beautifully made model. From what I can see in your photos there is little that I could offer to make it even better. :)

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

Thank you Ian and Robin. I have to say my interpretation of this ship is a compilation of other builders, I have seen three models in pictures and was able to get some close up shots of the one model in the Addison art museum in Mass, one model in Tokyo and one I have only the picture in Charles Davis' book. The hulls look very similar to mine likely we all have used a similar plan (Chapelle). Mine may be less accurate with gun port placement Chapelle shows 4 ports each side, reading about the ship from publications of her day says she carried 10 guns, the Addison museum model is quite old and show 6 ports a side, but every thing else shows 4. I think

I would have chosen 4 if had to change something, Perhaps there were aft facing guns? That would get the total to 10... Hard to be sure from the info I have, although there are other plans than Chapelle available I have not seen them. As now starting on masts most of these details were standard sizes but Chapelle does list sizes, and I can check against the standard rules of the time as well.

Regards, Glen

• 2 weeks later...

Glen,

A warm welcome back to MSW edition 2.

What a progress of Ann Mckim, beautiful done.

Wasn't it Liberty Lake you are located @?

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Thanks for the welcome that continues, Yes Per it is Liberty Lake that I hail from. John nice to hear from you, resurrection is an appropriate term as this ship hasn't changed in months until I took it up again recently, but have been enjoying this new era of shipping 1830's which is a bit between the other ships I've done, and has some features of both.  What really helped were the publications of Charles Davis which has helped me confirm some general features and now is very helpful for roughing out the masts.

I was surprised to see in one of Davis's books that has only 16 pictured ship models that one was the Ann Mckim! 

Regards, Glen

Glen,

There is a model club here in Spokane.

Maybe something to join. ;)

Edited by Nirvana

Respectfully

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

• 5 years later...

This ship has been patiently waiting on my desk as many other projects have gone by, I've made mostly aircraft models for awhile, but dusted her off and got to looking at some things bothering me about the model, so set to work on some ideas to improve, some painting and refreshing, but redoing the bulwark stantions was the main thing and with new color too the starboard side done..

image.jpeg

Regards, Glen

Hello Chris and John, nice to finally have opportunity and motivation to revisit this ship, it's pretty even as a hull model on my desk but my wife wants me to finish it ha

Timber ends look better now and hoping to put the bow furnishings on so can get moving on the foremast...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Regards, Glen

Always listen to the Admiral,  specially on a Christmas day.

Respectfully

• 3 weeks later...

Adding the windlass and some chain that I think will be ok, and trying to figure line sizes, this ship was pre wire rigging, so can use different size lines, but working on that, I think will use brass wire for lower deadeyes and flatten for the chainplates...

DSC_0015 (2).JPG

DSC_0016_(2).JPG

Regards, Glen

I've decided to try to go with paper deadeyes, foolish probably to spent the time to make these, but adds to the fun for me to make what I can. 3 cardboard disks punched out, glued with elmers type glue, rolled on edge to center the smaller middle disc (to form the groove for stropping). This is weak and can't drill without splitting, so cover with ca glue, drill, paint. There you have it. Only a few more to do ha

DSC_0071.JPG

Regards, Glen

Glen, 

Nice shroud work.

Respectfully

• 3 weeks later...

I have some questions for you ship guys, the original drawings from Chapelle show spencer masts on both fore and main, but this appears rarely done and several models just show the more common driver mast at the mizzen. One model that I assume also relying on Chapelle has included the spencers,  I don't really like the look of this what would you do?

Also I don't see spider bands used in rigging this vessel dates to 1832 would spider bands be in common use then?

Would some captains prefer to take spencer masts down if they didn't want them?

Regards, Glen