USS Constitution by Hipexec - FINISHED - Constructo - 1:82

Hi Rich

Glas to see that you are still going so well with your build.  She is looking more beautiful by the day!!  I have a question about some thumbnails on your build pages 13 14 and 15.  It seems that I am unable to open some of them.  Is there something I can do other that what I have been doing ( clicking on the thumbnail to open)??  Any help would be great, as I am going to be working on the same areas in a day or so and would like to be able to see how you tackeled the steps at that point.

Thanks

Coastie96 (Dave)

Coastie 96,

Somehow those pictures got lost when they re-worked the website? I can help you if you ask specific questions. I do not have copies of those lost pics.

Back from California. Shipyard will reopen soon. After visiting the Channel Islands Maritime Museum and viewing over 60 shipmodels, I'm going to spend some time cleaning up a lot of little mistakes and omissions on my Constitution. Pictures to follow.

At the museum, most of the model you are all building were there. most looked scratch built and old. Some were very big like 7 feet long. One exhibit was the prison ship models made of carved bone scraps by the prisoners on the infamous British prison ship during the American Revoltuion. They were astonishing! It was dificult to take photos because of the lighting so I show a few where the lighting was okay.

post-4214-0-85720100-1410975525_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-44929400-1410975555_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-72648700-1410975580_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-37741500-1410975607_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-70467300-1410975630_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-32021800-1410975654_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-08794300-1410975680_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-22650600-1410975701_thumb.jpg

Welcome home Rich and thanks for the pictures !!!!!!!!

I see a Dutch vessel  :D  :D  :D  :D

And now back to the workbench and make some sawdust.

It's to long ago that we have seen an update !

Sjors

I've been experimenting how to make the rolled hammocks to fill the hammock nets. Four different attempts proved awful. This one has some promise. I rolled tightly some soil cloth taken from my garden supplies and bent it in two and tied it with some white thread. They might be a bit too tall but I think I'm in the ballpark. What do you all think. Also, I'll take any and all suggestions.

I've been experimenting how to make the rolled hammocks to fill the hammock nets. Four different attempts proved awful. This one has some promise. I rolled tightly some soil cloth taken from my garden supplies and bent it in two and tied it with some white thread. They might be a bit too tall but I think I'm in the ballpark. What do you all think. Also, I'll take any and all suggestions.

post-4214-0-07177400-1411104081_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-23021200-1411104092_thumb.jpg

I finished a section of hammock nets. I roiled, folded and tied each hammock just like they showed the sailors of old did it. Now I'll "tweak" them to get them to look good. I think I'm only doing one of the four hammock stanchion sections just to show how the ship was rigged when it went into combat. I think if I stuff all the stanchions with hammocks it will block some viewing of the deck.

post-4214-0-06912000-1411159130_thumb.jpg

I think you should do whatever makes you happy, it's your build.  Of course there is always that 'peace in the home' consideration!

Tim,

Here's a picture of the netting Constructo provided in the kit. It was very hard to work with. It came in the box folded in a square. The creases did not want to come out, so I had to work hard  to get clean runs for the stanchions. It's made out of plastic. Perhaps some real netting made of cloth would work better.

Finished another bank of hammocks. Now I have a regular hammock folding factory. Now I'm about 40% done.

post-4214-0-67192600-1411313408_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-84053200-1411313421_thumb.jpg

They are looking good. How are you holding them in the netting? I used the beeswax/turpentine mixture.

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Bill,

Just friction for now in case I don't like the results. When I give my final approval, which means I give up since that's as good as it gets, I'll probably do what you did.

Nice job with the Hammocks,  love what it adds to the ship - looking like filling them all may be the way to go.

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

In case you're wondering how many hammocks I have to make.....155 not counting the 20 or so rejects. That's a lot of rolling, tying and cutting on a miniature level which is very difficult for a fat fingered, shaky old man. 

By the way...I still have to coil about 36 more rope coils for the deck cannons. I guess I'll do anything to put off the serious rigging of the ship.

Rich

Nice job on the hammocks. Really adds to the model. I have the USS Constellation by AL yet to build; I think I will follow your lead and add them to mine as well. Thanks for the inspiration. Your model is very impressive

Jack

Got this great tip from Frank from our newly established Arizona Shipwrights. Frank said to use plastic lids to hold small parts and bottle caps to hold small amounts of glue for small projects. Good tips!

post-4214-0-17116000-1411663014_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hipexec

Sorry I didn't stop by sooner.  She looks great.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray