USF Confederacy by Augie & Moonbug - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

Hi Augie

There's nothing better than grabbing a couple of beers, sitting down and reading your build log front to back.  It is crammed with so much practical info and humor (...and tool endorsements  :) ).

This built is another masterpiece!

Wolf

Current build : San Francisco II (AL)

Thanks, Wolf.  We try to keep it mildly entertaining while including any info we can keeping in mind it's not a master class in scratch building.  Personally, I enjoy reading your San Francisco log just as much.  Your work is 12X's neater than mine and the colors are just fantastic.  Can't wait to see the completed ship's boat you're scratching.

Enjoy summer down there!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

With the 300 hour mark just passed, thought I'd update with her new look:

post-56-0-75720600-1389306920_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-36512600-1389306941_thumb.jpg

Work on the upper hull is completed (for the moment) with the painting up to the rails.  Same process as the wales.

Now, there are some moldings that will be attached later on.  Toward that end, some scrapers are provided with the kit to put a bead in the 1/16" square basswood moldings:

post-56-0-57697700-1389307138_thumb.jpg

I was a little pessimistic about this process at first.  But here's a sample of four strips treated with the scrapers then stained:

post-56-0-85700000-1389307277_thumb.jpg

Looks like these will actually work !!  I'll hold off installing them for now so as not to damage them during the next step.....

............. planking the lower hull.

Need to do a little reading and planning before I begin.  This is NOT my strong suit  --- but then little falls into that category.  For this hull, Chuck has included a 'spiling jig' to do some edge bending so I need to work with that for a bit.  So it'll be a while.........

But I shall be watching everyone's progress :)

So STAY THE COURSE !

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Wow, those little strippers worked really good.  Those kind of tools would really be handy for a lot of things.  Very good Augie......geez what you can do with a mill.....I know they came with it, but you could make some too.....looks good....

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Can you tell us more about the spiling jig? I am interested in improving my process.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

She dresses up very nicely Augie! As for the lower planking, I'm sure you will do an outstanding job. Between your skills and Chuck's jig/guidance, there can be little doubt as to the outcome.

Very nicely painted upper works Augie! But now the real test begins! Just remember to trim your prespiled planks to fit your hull, it won't be the same as chucks, you have to adjust every plank!

Keep your garboard low at the last bulkhead before the stem or your planking will ride up.

Ben

Looking Good Augie... :)  :)  :)

Of course those scrapers work!!!  Sometimes the etching goes too long and the point is a little dull.  But for soft woods it works a treat.  I have to deepen the grooves for harder woods.   You will notice many extra profiles on the sheet.  You wont need then for the kit,...I just thought I would throw in several extras.  They come in real handy.  SHH!!!   Dont tell EXPO  ;)

OMG Augie, she is absolutely stunning!!! Your work on her is impeccable so far, I am incredibly impressed!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Great work, Augie.   How about a tutorial on "Augie planking"?   I can use the motivation and inspiration.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Augie,

She's looking just gorgeous!  Fabulous work, and so fast too!

For planking the lower hull, you've probably already read it, but Chuck's tutorial on the subject is the gold standard in my opinion. (I sure wish I had it before I did my planking :( )

It's in the downloads section on the main MSW page here:

http://modelshipworldforum.com/resources/Framing_and_Planking/Lining%20Off%20your%20hull%20for%20planking.pdf

Robert

Current Build: HMS Mars

Great work Augie, looking good!

-Bug

In response to several inquiries about the 'spiling jig', here's what we're talking about:

post-56-0-16988700-1389545620_thumb.jpg

In the photo, the jig itself (and perhaps we should call it an 'edge bending jig') are the pieces I have painted black (3).  They have been glued securely to an old 1" thick cutting board.  This jig is supplied with the kit and the curvature determined by Chuck.

The  3 planks in the jig are 1/8 x 1/16".  Each had been tapered along the last 4" (1/64" at the tip), soaked and then placed in the jig to dry.  I put a brick on top to hold them down tight as they want to twist a bit.  The jig is the same thickness as the planks.

Below the jig are 3 edge bent, tapered planks all dried and ready to go.  These are naturally all for the bow and shall go below the wales some 5 or so planks below it.  For the upper planks we used the regular bending jig pictured back early in this log.  I was pleasantly surprised to see that this degree of edge bending was possible and reproducible.  It's basswood, by the way.

I'm currently preparing planks and lining out the hull.  Should start planking in a few days.  The slight delay is being caused by looking for a replacement cutting board (Admiral's orders) !!!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Very  interesting!! Are you using the technique Chuck uses in his tutorial on spiling? If so, what width planks are you using?

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

That is a very intriguing jig.  I wonder where it was when I was planking....good lesson for next time....looks nice Augie, very uniform....

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Hi Augie,

I'm impressed the jig was included with the kit. Do you know if this occurs with other kits or was this an exception.

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

I have some wide pine boards to make my jigs on.........I find it much safer  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Larry -  This jig is new to me.  There wasn't one with Syren.

Frank -  Since I'm using the kit-supplied 1/8 x 1/16" wood I won't be doing actual spiling from wider planks (although I may work in some 3/16 in the stern).

New cutting board has been procured (along with dinner, no flowers).  Seas have subsided :)

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

All caught up now.... some really nice progress my friend.  Really clean - love clean!    Really nice, and now you are spiling! (spilling?) ;)   I haven't got there yet,  still going with the force a plank method ;)  Kudos to you!!

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Cool Jig.  Is it common for jigs such as that to be included in a kit?

- Bug

Thanks Augie... thought perhaps I was missing something there...

- Bug

Augie,

I have been folowing your build log and am impressed by your progress. The Confederacy is a beautiful model, but I didn't have it in me to start such an ambitious project.

So I started completely totally different, a Ferrari hydroplane kit by Amati.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4913-arno-xi-ferrari-hydroplane-by-rvchima-amati-18/

I am really missing Chuck's highly detailed instructions and feedback from the other experienced buiders on this site. Please take a look and let me know if you have any thoughts about how to procede with this unusual kit.

Rod