USF Confederacy by Augie & Moonbug - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

Looking good Moonbug.  I have learned another way to make a ships wheel.

David B

Edited by dgbot

love what your doing Bug........the wheel looks fabulous!   you did a great job of house keeping aboard ship........she's spotless  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks everyone for the comments and likes, I appreciate it.

I'll try to do some work on her this week in the evenings, but this weekend I have my first business trip of the year, so I'll be heading to DC for the weekend and won't get to hang out in the shipyard. 

Very.very nice!! work Bug..........

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

My sincerest apologies for the complete lack of updates and information.  My business travel schedule as of late is pretty brutal. I have two more trips this month (one tomorrow), and then three more in June.  Oy.  Top that off with organizing a giant party for my lovely wife's 40th Birthday last month and it's been a hectic 2016 thus far to say the least!

At any rate, excuses aside - I have done a bit of work on the Confederacy in short spurts and starts when I've had a little availability.  Here's what I've been up to:

First - I finished up the ship's wheels and remounted them on the deck along with all the fixtures I removed to resurface and smooth out the deck.  That also meant re-mounting all the cannon.

post-1158-0-75875100-1462214777_thumb.jpg

To that end - even though the plans call for just four six pounders, I wanted to fill out the upper deck a bit more - so I ordered a few more cannon from Chuck and set to work added some guns and putting together some carriages.  Of course I referenced Augie's hard work so I could replicate as closely as possible.  Obviously I didn't want the additional guns to look any different from what he had on deck already.

post-1158-0-87151600-1462214779_thumb.jpgpost-1158-0-75950600-1462214781_thumb.jpgpost-1158-0-56184700-1462214785_thumb.jpg

Now, one part that threw me, and I couldn't find reference to in Augie's log - was how he created the knob/handle on the stool bed.  So I took a nail, added a glob of super glue, then painted it.  I don't think it's noticeably different from Augie's work, so I'm pleased with that.

post-1158-0-14115100-1462214787_thumb.jpgpost-1158-0-46537500-1462214791_thumb.jpgpost-1158-0-37433700-1462214793_thumb.jpg

post-1158-0-01774400-1462214797_thumb.jpg

Along with the 6 pounders, I also wanted to add a couple longer guns to the foremost cannon ports, even though those gun ports are closed. The open deck (starboard) side wasn't too difficult.

post-1158-0-92129400-1462214881_thumb.jpg

But on the Port side, that meant I'd have to tuck the cannons below decks, then attach the rigging to the sides of the ship below the deck.  It's was a little hairy in there... but I managed to pull it off after bouts of occasional profanity. 

post-1158-0-52554800-1462214871_thumb.jpgpost-1158-0-18997800-1462214903_thumb.jpgpost-1158-0-99412900-1462214878_thumb.jpg

All cleaned up, I think she looks pretty good.  Hopefully Mr. Augie's watching over and is pleased.  :-)  

post-1158-0-82742500-1462214884_thumb.jpgpost-1158-0-56138400-1462214887_thumb.jpg

Edited by Moonbug

Tedious to do but beautiful in the end.   Well done, Bug.   I agree with Jack and I'll add.. Augie would be smiling

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

agreed Augie would be pleased to see the good work continued

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Bug,

Just tripped over this log and am amazed at the work you are doing to complete Augie's Confederacy. How did you ever rig that last gun? You're making Augie proud up there. By the way, great photos.

Dave B

Current build: HMS Pegasus, English Pinnace (on hold)

Completed build: MS BluenoseSkippercraft

WOW, Bug. You're doing Augie proud. She's a beauty.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I can only add the same accolades, and rest assured Augie is looking over your shoulder and giving you hints on how he wants it...great job Bug.....Augie is greatly missed here.

John

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

you've certainly excelled in your studies...your progress and enhancements look awesome!     the cannons came out looking very nice........and the refinished deck looks great too  :)    nice to see you've made some progress    :)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 2 weeks later...

Hello team!

Got a question for the group regarding rigging the cannons.  The Confed directions call for gun tackles on either side of the cannon.

post-1158-0-85030800-1463240688_thumb.png

According to Augie's hand written notes in his folder, he didn't intend to rig these as he felt it made the deck a bit crowded. I'm a bit back and forth on this, but ultimately the decision is made a bit easier as it would be nearly impossible to add the side gun tackles to the cannons already mounted on the lower deck.  ;-)  

However - I like what our friend Sjors has done here with his Agamemnon and rear gun tackle.  

post-1158-0-70763900-1463240691.png

My question is - would that have been appropriate on the Confederacy?  I'm having some difficulty confirming one way or another.

Thoughts?

- Bug

Edited by Moonbug

Normally, you standard cannon should be rig with a blomfield ring given his  year of construction

Of the bank I look at an ocean of pleasure, or the tumult attracts you, this global movement will be your tipcart!

current build:   royal caroline

buid finished:  la recouvrancehttp://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/3025-la-recouvrance-by-ofencer29350/page-2?hl=recouvrance

Any of the guns that were run out would have had a train tackle to heave them back in. The exception: carronades on pivot/swivel mounts would not. They had additional side tackle to maneuver the gun laterally. Hope that helps.

I know what Augie meant by "cluttered" deck. My gun deck on Constitution was getting pretty busy...I chose to leave off the train tackles though after I had put in the side tackles for that very reason.

I had researched that you have the hardware in place (eyebolts) but you don't need to have the rigging in place as they often didn't add the rigging until they needed the guns for battle. I personally don't put the rigging in place as I would agree with Aggy, it can make the deck a bit cluttered. I have attached a pic of Agamemnon as a example for you.

Mike Draper

post-360-0-04586200-1463244161.jpg

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

Bug,

I'll toss another bit... the run-in tackle had hooks.  In action, these may have hooked or not.  At the very least, there were close at hand just in case they were needed.   It's not going to hurt to leave them off.   As there are no port lids on those ports, the guns may have just been left in the outboard position to allow more room the deck.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Looking great!

My personal opinion of what looks best is to fully rig the tackles except for the inhauls, which is something that depends heavily on deck space I believe.  There was simply not enough room on the deck of the AVS to place inhaul tackles because of the deck layout.   The big caveat here is that the blocks and ropes need to be appropriately sized, which often isn't the case with the stuff supplied in the kits.  I downsized all of my gun tackle (rope and blocks) to an appropriate size and I love the way the rigged guns look on models when done properly.

I agree with Mike that the eye-bolts should be placed regardless of whether you choose to add the inhauls or not.

Thanks everyone for your input - much to think about, I'll contemplate it a bit more, and consider how to go about tackling the cannons if I decide to go that route in some capacity.  I believe there is some benefit here of this being an Admiralty model, as it's purpose would be to display elements of the ship without necessarily incorporating every detail that a fully rigged replica would entail.  

Mark - The port lids are coming!  ;-)   That'll be one of those assembly line moments.  

In the meantime, yesterday I got a good bit of work done on the Transom.  It took a couple bumps and bruises along the way, and some of the paint had shipped off the figures, and created some blemishes on the black. Also - I wanted to touch up the window frames a bit.  Augie did such an awesome job with the window "glass" that I wanted to even out the finish and color of the frames to match the rest of the smooth look and feel of what he had going.  

The BAD new is - I jacked up the cove in the process (Sorry Augie!) so I had to rebuilt / reshape it.  WHAT A BEAST.  This gained me an entirely new appreciation for Chuck's laser cut parts!  *laff*  After much soaking, shaping, breaking, re-soaking and re-shaping, I finally got the cove repaired and replaced and stained to match.

post-1158-0-15971200-1463333737_thumb.jpgpost-1158-0-72252600-1463333739_thumb.jpgpost-1158-0-00589300-1463333743_thumb.jpgpost-1158-0-63053000-1463333745_thumb.jpgpost-1158-0-78477200-1463333747_thumb.jpg

The GOOD news is - this marked a small milestone in which I will now press on with new progress and moving forward with the build. Yay!  

Another business trip this week, but after that I should be able to put a few more hours in.

Edited by Moonbug

Bug,

I know there's lids on the main gundeck but are they also on the fore and quarter decks?

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Ah - I gotcha Mark. No, there aren't. Misunderstood where you were going b/c the main deck lids aren't installed yet.

-Bug