USF Confederacy by Augie & Moonbug - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

This build log will detail the construction of the Model Shipways kit USF Confederacy (scale 1:64) designed by Chuck Passaro.

The brief history of this 36 gun American Continental Navy Frigate is presented in some detail in the full-color, 170 page instruction manual and is available at Model Expo online. 

The model will be constructed in the 'Admiralty' configuration (without full rigging) and shall have an overall length of 35".

Although actual construction will not begin until about 9/1/2013, I have opened the kit and will provide here my overall impression of the contents and some photos to show 'WHAT'S IN THE BOX'.

The inventory of the kit has been completed and all listed items were provided.  No, I did not count the 300 eyebolts.  The well-drawn plans comprise 5 sheets.  As model ship manufacturers have not embraced the concept of rolled plans, they come folded and required a bit of steam ironing to be rendered suitably flat for my taste.  As mentioned, the color manual is up to Chuck's usual standard and shall become my bible for the immediate future:

post-56-0-14199900-1377364380_thumb.jpg

The kit contains 23 laser cut sheets varying in thicknesses from 1/32 to 1/4" :

post-56-0-87457200-1377364468_thumb.jpg

The strip wood and dowels were supplied bundled so sorting was effortless.  The quality of the wood is not bad.  I am considering replacing some of the basswood strips but need some time to figure that out:

post-56-0-38498200-1377364664_thumb.jpg

An extensive amount of photoetched parts are supplied:

post-56-0-45138700-1377364730_thumb.jpg

Blocks, deadeyes, cleats, stanchions and parts including anchors:

post-56-0-44762000-1377364813_thumb.jpg

Figurehead, cannon and some stern decorations --- all brittania metal.  Although some previous logs have felt these fittings were substandard, my opinion is that they can actually be used successfully.  However, as Chuck offers some after market upgrades through his Syren Model Ship Company, I opted for upgrades of the figurehead and cannon:

post-56-0-00008400-1377365010_thumb.jpg

I shall provide a side-by-side comparison of the kit supplied vs. custom parts when the new ones are received.

It is now time to do some reading and perusing of the plans to get my head around this new lady.  I am hoping to improve on the skills developed during my recently completed Syren project.  As usual, I'll be keeping a log of time spent for those who might be interested.  All I can promise is to try my best and produce something worthy to stand with the other fine Confederacy kits already (or soon to be) underway.

Everyone is invited to join in and comments and critique are welcome.    WELCOME ABOARD TO ALL!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

This should be a good one! An impressive looking kit! I know it might be early to ask, but what are you thinking regarding wood substitutions? 

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Mind if I join you Andy, it's possible we may get popcorn thrown at us by you know who, a price worth paying. :D

mobbsie 

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Hello Augie,

Not the first seat, but still in the first row. Looking forward to this.

Including today, 9 days and counting.

On behalf of myself and Sjors .....

Good luck with your Confed, but most of all, HAVE FUN and ENJOY.

Anja & Sjors

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Mind if I join you Andy, it's possible we may get popcorn thrown at us by you know who, a price worth paying. :D

mobbsie 

**Hands Mobbsie a set of safety glasses and a dust mask**

I'm more worried about sawdust.... :P

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Found it!!!! Still a few front row seats remaining... please pass the popcorn

Edited by lb0190

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Glad I found your start......it's getting to take longer and longer to catch up when you have to sit in the cheap seats.........

Jim

Completed      Robert E Lee, Misisssippi riverboat               

Completed,  HMS Victory Bow Section

Completed,  Wells Fargo Stagecoach...Picasa album.... 

Completed,  Lackawanna tugboat converted to private yacht...

Completed:  Sopwith Camel, 1:16 Scale, Model Airways...at another location...

Completed:  1961 Ferrari F-1 Sharknose

Completed: (sorta)  OcCre BR-18 Locomotive

Completed: 1/35 Pz.KPfw.III

Completed: Allerton Steam Pumper circa 1869

Hi Augie,

I sneak at the computer for a moment…. :D

I will follow you also on this one and wish you all the pleasure and fun.

Enjoy and I will enjoy !

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Aha! Made it just in time for the front row. Pass the popcorn please Sjors - and no flash photography allowed here!

Looking forward to the ride Augie. :D

Ah....got my reservation from Modelship-Tickets-R-Us....post-76-0-68438300-1377380946.gif   Looks like I made it with time to spare.  post-76-0-71461400-1377381030.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

HAMILTON -  Will be giving some thought to replacing some of the basswood for perhaps decking and hull planking.  I'd like to work in some Swiss Pear.

John - Yes, she would be impressive fully rigged.  In fact, I'm almost sure that's how Andy is planning to do his once he finishes Peggy.  But I just don't have the space around here. 

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

John - Yes, she would be impressive fully rigged.  In fact, I'm almost sure that's how Andy is planning to do his once he finishes Peggy.   

You got that right..... B)

How I'm going to manage to pull it off is another matter altogether.... :P

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Here you go again Augie,  :P  this looks like a really nice build coming up , the kit looks well stocked, and I agree with you on maybe replacing the basswood decking and planking, it'll be well worth it. So, meanwhile, have fun getting acquainted with the plans and such.....

Enjoy !!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Well...I think I'm too late for the first row, but I'll definitely pull up a chair in the second row. Looking forward to "the show".  :)  I know you will do her justice.

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

Augie, I'm anxiously awaiting the start of construction here. I'm sure you will do this kit proud with your attention to detail.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Hey all you have done is open the box, and we are already at the end of page 2. Syrens 112 page record will be broken before you get your tools out at this rate lol.

I will sit and wait patiently with the others.

Fear not for room, Wayne.  We're doing a 'workshop in the round' so there's plenty of space.  Just leaving the far corner open for when Sjors recovers and installs his popcorn machine.

Wood Update-  Spent a lot of time (and did a lot of head scratching) on possible replacement woods.  Firstoff, I've got to comment that the basswood supplied by MS this time is far superior to what I had with Syren.  I'm happy for that as this is one big gal.  After massaging some numbers and ideas, I have decided to order new wood only for the decks which I think will result in what I'm looking for.  I am not, after all, Bill Gates.  The order went into Jeff at Hobbymill yesterday so we'll see how that works out.

Spending today continuing to digest Chuck's 'bible' and plans.  This manual is every bit as good as that for Syren ----- maybe better !!  :)  :)

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hi Augie,

Your Syren is a beaut !  Look forward to following your Confederacy build.  I'm going on 4 years in this November - started scratch building her the same time as Rusty.  Right now I'm working on the cheeks and headrails - I can't imagine tackling these timbers, the volutes or the moldings with anything other than a hardwood since so much carving, scraping and shaping is involved to get them right - Chuck proved it can be done though !  You could always buy some of Jeff's boxwood for these timbers and it will match the basswood planking nicely if need be.

Enjoy the build !

Chris

Edited by ChrisLBren