USF Confederacy by Augie & Moonbug - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

The little squares are boxwood sweep ports I installed a while back Sjors.  Doors that swing open to allow the use of sweeps (oars).  Each will have a hinge installed way down the road.  The 36 gun ports are those painted in red.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Spot on Augie! You are doing a great job and a Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Just dropped in to say Merry Xmas to you and your loved ones Augie. Looks like Santa found you a new fishing buddie:

Hey Augie, 30% golden oak for the upper works is what I used and it will make a contrast with un stained lower planking, you won't really see it until you totally complete the lower planking.

Look forward to seeing your progress next year, I hope to start modeling again in January when I finish rebuilding the workshop.

Ben

Sweet work, Augie.  I smile when I see your planking, it's great!.  Have a great New Year's and don't let Grant ship Santa's reindeer to you.  We need him to deliver tools.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

At least someone is smiling.....not so much over here yesterday.  I spent 1/2 the day carefully beveling and bending my planks for the main wales and painting the edges....only to find out I was using the wrong thickness of wood!  Ah well ---- fresh start tomorrow.

I should wish you a good New Year's as well.  I know you're pulling for Andy to get his power back on before then.....as am I.  He's been silent so I guess he's still out.  Bummer for Christmas.

Tools ------ did someone say tools??????

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

If I may ask Augie, what "wrong thickness" snuck up on you. That information might help those of us who are

going to tackle the Confederacy in the future. I guess the good part is that you caught the error before installing

the wales.

Today will be a brighter day.

Thanks, Harley 

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Thanks Harley.  No, my fault entirely.  The upper hull is first planked with 1/8x1/16 planks except for the main and channel wales which are 5/32x1/16.  Then the wales are planked over.  The uppers go with 5/32 X 1/32.  But the mains are a combo of 5/32x1/32 and 5/32x1/16.  The plans are clear enough.  But somewhere between pre-bending, beveling, pre-painting, coffee and a salami sandwich I screwed it up.  Saw it when I got ready for the ceremonial actual laying of the first plank (thank Heavens)!

The bright side is that 'do-overs' give you a chance to improve your technique!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Personally, I blame the salami sandwich!!! Great that you caught the error in time though Augie - much easier to do the re-do BEFORE it is attached to the ship ;)

By the time you finished the build and with all the re-do's that you have to do, you are building two Confeds  :D  :D

So for the next time.....stay away from the salami !

Any change that we see some pics ? ( not from the salami )

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Hi Augie,

I managed to find a seat in the back but the view is excellent. I just unpacked my kit and went through the inventory and will be starting very soon. The best part of coming in this late is that one can follow some great threads and get a lot of learnin that you will not find in books. I will be asking a lot of question. It seems that there are a lot of top notch builders contributing and with Chuck administering, it will be a fun build.

Keep up the great work,

IR3

Firstoff, a HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone on MSW.  May health, wealth and good building be in store for all!

Thought I'd start the year with a small update.

The planking of the upper hull has been completed with the addition of the second layers for the main and channel wales.  In addition, the main wales have been painted........8 coats of diluted MS acrylic black.  It's got the slightest bit of sheen to it but I'll address that later:

post-56-0-14709900-1388591079_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-27611000-1388591106_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-85190200-1388591176_thumb.jpg

Here's a close up.  The strake just above the black main wale is the 'black strake' which, for some reason, is not black.  It is thinner than the wale so it makes for a nice detail.  The wales and black strake have been tapered and contoured into one another so the edge is nice and neat.  Thanks to Bob (Rafine) for mentioning the fact that he paints the edges of the wales before putting them on.  That really simplifies the painting:

post-56-0-02517800-1388591462_thumb.jpg

The next step will be treenailing the outer hull.  I'll be using the 'drill and fill' technique.  I need to get the right color on the filler and determine the pattern before proceeding.  Once that's done a second coat of stain will be applied to darken the upper hull....then more painting etc.  FUN STUFF  :)

OK, let's see your latest  !!!!!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Wow Augie,

That's a great paint job !

8 layers....I think that's paint enough ?  :D  :D

Looks smooth to me....

You see my update so....Happy new year for you also !

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

A very Happy New Year to you and yours Augie, I wish you many many hours of happy modelling and the skill to catch a few fish.

I quite like the sheen on the black, but your the boss, she's looking real nice mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Looks nice Augie.....Happy New Year to you also......I like the lines....

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Nicely done Augie..... Happy New Year!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Happy New Year Augie!!! Your paint job is superb!!! No flaws visible at all, it really sets off the fine detail of your planking as well and does the whole ship justice!!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Augie,

Happy new year to you and yours. Excellent work as always!

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Looks perfect to me Augie, I can't see any sheen in the paintwork, did you try buffing the paintwork with a rag, that gave me a really flat effect when mine were a bit shiny.

Happy new year, and yes, I will be picking back up with my build in a couple of weeks

Looks fantastic, even more like ebony than ebony.  ;)

Happy new year and happy building to you and your family.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Sjors -  yes, 8 coats was enough......for now.  I think Ben used 20 but it was some voodoo concoction of India Ink and fireplace ashes.  Beyond me!

Charley - no planking classes.  This is the easy part.  I'm stalling on the lower hull planking as long as possible.

Jim - Our years here are longer than yours :)

Andy-  yes, I'll be painting some of the upper portion of the hull as well.

Mark - I was thinking about using ebony but some guy in the Pacific Northwest complained about using it so much that I gave up the idea.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

This looks really great. You have done a fine job considering you did not go with the ebony. It looks pretty smooth in the pictures. Happy New Year to you and your family. I'm looking forward to another great year on MSW.

-Craig

It's never too late to turn the tide...

Current Build- King of the Mississippi- Artesania Latina- 1:80 Scale

Hi Augie, You’re still doing some fine work I see. Everything looks spot on and couldn’t be better. You

know the best thing is you’re only about half way done with the planking. So much more fun yet to go! ;)

Really though your approach of slow and steady is working great. Some of us :blink: who tend to move at too

quick a pace suffer for it. Well done as usual! Happy New Year!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Happy New Year Augie. She's looking fabulous. Lovely job on the paintwork.