USF Confederacy by Augie & Moonbug - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

She looks really nice Augie, something to be proud of!

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Great planking, sir.   And without spiling too!!!

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Man that's clean...

For a guy (me) who is all thumbs when it comes to planking, that is something to admire.

-Bug

Thanks all.

I'll get some stem and stern shots once I complete the first belt on the starboard side.  Yes, the spiling/edge bending jig is in full operation since about the 6th plank below the wales.  It works well once you get the hang of it.  That's not to say that everything has gone by without some gnashing of the teeth!

We won Sjors.  But the game was about as exciting as watching grass grow.  On to the SUPER BOWL :) 

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Great work Augie.  She's really coming to life.  

I didn't watch the game either. I'm not much of a sports guy.  The AFC should be much more exciting.    

sweet looking planking Augie.........your doing way better than I am  {at the moment}.   looks like sanding will be at a minimum as well  :)

very nicely done!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Lovely planking job there Augie. If you get bored with football, try tuning in to the Cricket and watch us giving the Poms a severe thrashing (which they thoroughly deserve!) Don't worry if you don't understand the game - you'll soon pick up that we're winning, and that alone will provide many hours of satisfaction. :D :D :D

Hey, the game was great...because it had the outcome I wanted, GO Broncos!! Planking is superb. I really need to take a trip out your way and figure out what you do differently than me to get such a good result!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

I've received several PM's on how the spiling/edge bending jig I presented is working at the bow.  In response, I've taken a few photos that I'll present here.

Let me state that this is not to be taken as a tutorial .  It is simply how I do it.

You should remember what our bent/spiled planks look like after drying in the jig detailed by Chuck:

post-56-0-64261200-1390278453_thumb.jpg

The forward tip of the plank is beveled to fit securely into the rabbet.  Then, the tip and about 3/8" of the side of the plank contacting the adjacent plank above it are glued securely in place.  It needs to be completely dry and tight as it will take some stress in establishing the bow curve of the plank.  I use thick CA  to do this as it is strong and easy to control:

post-56-0-44447400-1390278754_thumb.jpg

A different view just to show how unusual it looks at this point.  The blue tape is just there to protect the finished wale:

post-56-0-07076600-1390278907_thumb.jpg

The loose end of the plank is now gently bowed and lightly twisted into position and glued flat to the bulkheads.  Notice that the tendency to lift at the lower edge has been defeated:

post-56-0-74046400-1390279062_thumb.jpg

Finally, the plank is glued to the remaining bulkheads:

post-56-0-98502700-1390279183_thumb.jpg

Granted there are some irregularities but these should be mostly eliminated with careful sanding.  Laying this plank took about 15 minutes (not including the spiling/bending/drying time).

Overall, I'm pleased with the technique.  Hope this explains it!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Thanks Augie.   Masterful way of doing it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thats exactly how I do it.  Wonderful explanation.   The one thing I might add is that the twisting can be put into the plank ahead of time as well.   I usually dip the plank in some water for about 5 seconds.   Then clamp the bow end of the plank to the table.   Twist the plank carefully as to not change or remove the edge bending.   Heat it up with a hair dryer on the hottest setting.  This will lock in the twist.   You can shape the plank so it will fit perfectly without any coaxing required to put it into place.

Chuck

Well done Augie.

Hi Augie, Very well described and executed!

She's looking good. :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks all.  Chuck has added the icing on the cake with the short soak for the twist !

I'm just happy if it gives anyone an idea or two.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

looks very nice Augie.......do you bevel the edge, so it will butt up along the plank line?   darn nice ;)   I've been fastening them while they are still damp.....I'm impatient that way :)   I haven't had any problems with shrinkage.......probably because of the wood I'm using.   I'm sure that different wood behave differently when wet.   very nice job there.........doesn't look like too huge of a sanding job afterwards ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I do a bit of an 'eyeball' bevel Popeye.  Nothing sophisticated.  I think you're right  about shrinkage.....depends on the wood.  Some day I'm going to build a double planked hull !!  As always, sandpaper is our best friend.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Great info Augie, thanks for the lesson as always!  I've made it no secret that I struggle with planking.

- Bug

Just a quick update.  The first belt of planking below the wales has been completed P/S. 

post-56-0-91084700-1390620312_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-31360500-1390620354_thumb.jpg

Not bad so far and hopefully sanding will bring everything in line.  There will be a molding running across where the counter meets the planks in the stern.  Open framework amidships is starting to look nice!

Moving on now to the lower most belt starting with the garboard plank and heading up.  Holding off on stealers and drop planks until the final belt.   Will be trying some 3/16" planks, tapered, for the stern (everything else is 1/8).

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976