USF Confederacy by Augie & Moonbug - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

I KNEW it!  Only took 5 pages and we're back in 'Wild Kingdom'.  Ah well, such is the stuff of life (and MSW).

Augie....... that was funny :D  :D ..... nice start on your Confed too!!

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Yes John ---- I noticed.  Only thing I can do is work faster (which is the opposite of what I had planned).......and try to outrun the fauna and flora :D  :D .

With that in mind, here's the latest update:

CHAPTER ONE   is completed.

I promised Sjors a picture of the rabbet so here we see it completed now near the stem:

post-56-0-85623300-1378050638_thumb.jpg

I can't label the photo but I think it's easy to see how the laser drawn line on the bulkhead former (the lighter wood) has been slightly tapered down to meet the 1/8 x 1/16 rabbet strip and then the stem sits on that.  The result is we have a nice clean, uniform slot which is the rabbet.  This extends from stem to stern and shall be where the edge of the garboard plank (as well as the ends of the remaining planks) sit.  EASY --  and no carving involved.

In addition to the stem and keel now being fitted, here's a detail I like:

post-56-0-22160900-1378051038_thumb.jpg

The keel uses 2 vertical scarph joints along it's length.  On the 1:1 ship, these were bolted together.  Here, we've simulated those bolts with #70 drilled holes filled with tinted wood putty.  This technique is similar to what I will be using for treenailing.

Here's a photo of where we currently stand.  Note that the false keel has been fitted and that the stem and keels have been stained.  Using Minwax products, I first pre-stain then stain using a mixture of 50% 'Natural' and 50% Light Oak.  This process will be used numerous times throughout the build.  I generally apply several coats of WOP later on.

post-56-0-33815000-1378051455_thumb.jpg

Finally, things wouldn't be complete without introducing my infamous 'one size fits all' keel clamp ---- AKA the Dremel mini work stand.  It holds her firmly and straightly in place as we proceed.  I know SJORS also uses one but I got mine back when they were $ 9 (US) and I still had hair.  :D  :P  :D

post-56-0-68995600-1378051759_thumb.jpg

Today is our 40th Anniversary so no more building is on the docket.  But the next step will be fitting the 16 bulkheads and to say I'm looking forward to that is an understatement.

All stay well :)

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Augie and congrats on the 40th.

It's good to see that you are going to keep the former clamped to make sure you don't get any warpage, it's such a long piece of ply that it has a tendency to do just that! I remember Chris had issues with that. I didn't take my Confed out of the clamp until all the gunport and sweep port framing was complete, pretty solid by then!

Take your time getting all the bulkheads perfectly square and perpendicular, your gunport framing will be wrong if they are not perfect.

Look forward to seeing that point.

Ben

A little progress to report (need to stay ahead of the buffalo herd :) ).

The 16 bulkheads were removed from the laser cut sheets:

post-56-0-15652200-1378142945_thumb.jpg

Note the cutouts on the starboard side of the two near the top center.  This will be an opening in the finished hull where the 'framing' will be exposed.  The laser cutting on these pieces was quite intense.  I lightly sanded them all around but have left some laser char as I find this helps me  later during the fairing process.  However, the slots on these bulkheads and also the bulkhead former were completely cleaned in order to obtain a secure glue bond.  The slots were also just a tad 'tight'.

Here, the bulkheads have been dry fit into the former:

post-56-0-26517600-1378143287_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-18456100-1378143307_thumb.jpg

The last photo shows that the alignment is pretty good for a dry fit:

post-56-0-38315900-1378143427_thumb.jpg

Now we will square and level everything as we permanently glue in the bulkheads.  But the fish are calling so we'll be back in a day or so.  In the meanwhile ----

STAY THE COURSE  :D  :D 

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

John-  yes, 'poof', a ship !  This part is easy---it's like framing an airplane.  The real work is down the road, as you well know.

Jax -- thanks for the opinion on the temporary safety timbers.  Knowing me, they will probably be worth the time.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Your progress is looking great as always. I can't wait to see more. I hope you had better luck fishing than I have had lately.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

DARN IT!!!!!  I did it again!  I failed to see the extra pages at the bottom......that's what I get for looking in during the wake-up! I hope you had a great annaversary......{missed that too......DooooUGH!}.  nice progress you've made......I like that rabbit idea.......wonder if that can be adapted for other kit builds........experimentation needed {right up my alley}.   laser cut on those parts looks nice too.....:)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Popeye, I am planning on incorporating the rabbet idea on my Constitution if I ever get started on her.

Thanks,

Patrick

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Augie,

It would appear that your log is spinning out into yonder open spaces and is boldly going where no log has gone before, where have I heard that before.

Good luck and " Bon Voyage " :D  :D

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Thanks Mobbsie.  I try to keep us on course.  But the journey wouldn't be so much fun without the diversions.

Oh,  that 1/16th" rabbet strip on a 1:64 means an adjustment of 4" full scale..  I'm fine with that but Patrick better keep it in mind for his Constitution.  I'd hate to have him clip his mainmast going under a bridge .

More glue, Igor.  There's a LOT of bulkheads here!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

I promised you a side by side photo of the after market items I ordered from Chuck.  Well, they're HERE!  I think they are terrific but you can judge for yourselves.

First, the cannons.  There are 2 sizes:

post-56-0-22868200-1378473256_thumb.jpg

I'm sure you can appreciate the difference between the brass guns (and trunions) and the cast brittania metal.  They look so good I'm already getting comments from the Admiral that I should forget the 20 coats of paint (thanks BEN) and leave them as is !!!!

Then we have the figurehead:

post-56-0-59438200-1378473486_thumb.jpg

Again, just much finer all around. 

The bottom line ---- well worth the investment.  I'm a happy puppy  :)  :) :)  

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Wow, those are really nice Augie.....that should be an outstanding improvement to details......

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Those are some sweet looking upgrades. I will be ordering the cannons down the road as well. I always like the MS kits but their Britannia metal disappoints me.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

it's the old thing about quality VS cost.....those cannons look sweet!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Augie,

Great stuff you've got over there....

I'm happy for you that you don't have to paint (20 layers) all those cannons.

But are you painting the figure head?

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Hi Augie,

The cannons and figurehead look very nice. I will have to look on Chuck's web site to see if he has guns suitable for the Niagara.

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Hi Augie,

Great stuff you've got over there....

I'm happy for you that you don't have to paint (20 layers) all those cannons.

But are you painting the figure head?

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

I didn't say I was going to listen to the Admiral ---- but I am tempted :)

Yes Sjors, the figurehead will be painted.  The current gray color might look ok if I slapped him on the bow of an Aegis cruiser.....not so good on 1700's frigate  :D  :P  :D

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Audie,

I have to admit I'm with Sjors, more pictures! Reading your log is like sitting in the living room talking to many friends and I love it for just that reason. So please, keep chatting all, and let's toast the 100 page mark (sooner than later). BTW, nice purchase from Chuck, the quality shows. I'm definitely upgrading guns when the time comes.

Dave B

Current build: HMS Pegasus, English Pinnace (on hold)

Completed build: MS BluenoseSkippercraft